Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bob Lutz via Car Buzz reports C8 to cost not much more than C7

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 05:50 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by ltomn
That is certainly where a new C8 Front Engine model will start in price! This has nothing to do with a new model that is mid engine in nature! That has no choice but to cost more.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:58 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
If 7,000 buyers could afford to spend $90k or more on a car, that says nothing about buying any other countries sports car - the cheapest (actually only) French sports car sold in the US is the Bugatti Chiron (over $3 million) and the cheapest Italian sports car besides the Alfa 4C (which sells in pitiful quantities - less than 500/yr) is the Lamborghini Huracan ($200k), and I am pretty sure that not every person who has $90k to spend on a car has $200k+. Maybe they could have bought a basic 911 or Jaguar F-type, but neither of those sell in Corvette volumes in the US - all 911 less than 9,000/yr & all F-type about 4,000/yr; Audi hasn't sold more than 800 R8's in the US since 2013.
Exactly, and I believe Acura/Honda has struggled with pitiful US sales of about 150 $150K NSXs in the first year. You just don't sell very many over $90K sports cars in this country or any other for that matter.

Anyone who believes that GM's senior mgmt, finance dept, and board of directors aren't laser-focused on those sales numbers is nuts.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-02-2019 at 06:07 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Foosh:
Boiler_81 (01-02-2019), CorvetteBrent (01-03-2019), Dr. ice (01-02-2019), JerriVette (01-03-2019), VETTE-NV (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 07:07 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
You guy's actually think GM is going to dump 65 years of front engine Corvette design, engineering data, and knowhow just to appease a bunch of existing cheap tightwad Corvette owners that want a low entry level price. HA HA. Thats never going to happen. Their going forward and creating a whole new left hand and right hand model line to supplement the historical Corvette lineup. You guy's just have to wake up to the reality of two configurations going forward.

What part of the chief engineer saying that they've taken the FE platform as far as they can don't you understand? Get over it....the C8 is ME and there is no new FE Corvette. If there is, show me some proof....not just your speculation. If you can't, then just the STFU.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:29 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
What part of the chief engineer saying that they've taken the FE platform as far as they can don't you understand? Get over it....the C8 is ME and there is no new FE Corvette. If there is, show me some proof....not just your speculation. If you can't, then just the STFU.
Do you really believe they couldn't improve the FE platform? Here are just a few ideas that would improve it - active aero, less weight, DCT, coilovers, possibly electric AWD. There are definitely still improvements that can be made because there is no way the C7 corvette is the best possible iteration of a FE platform. Tadge says many things that are not necessarily truthful and I think we all know that.

That being said, I do think that the ME C8 will likely be the only corvette whenever it comes out.

Last edited by Sub Driver; 01-02-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:31 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Aren't you the "meathead" that showed up on another posting? Just because an engineer suggests the platform has been maxed does not make it disposable! It means that they cannot further the performance of the vehicle, which already kicks boot on 99% of the other sports cars made. So...what does this mean? It means a car company like GM simply continues to tweek the model and make it a desirable and better vehicle by the driving experience standard. Take for example; Ferrari Superfast.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:34 PM
ltomn
Pro

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Do you really believe they couldn't improve the FE platform? Here are just a few ideas that would improve it - active aero, less weight, DCT, coilovers, possibly electric AWD. There are definitely still improvements that can be made because there is no way the C7 corvette is the best possible iteration of a FE platform. Tadge says many things that are not necessarily truthful and I think we all know that.

That being said, I do think that the ME C8 will likely be the only corvette whenever it comes out.
Agreed! Right up to the part where you suggest the Mid Engine platform will be stand alone. You lose me big time there.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:52 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Aren't you the "meathead" that showed up on another posting? Just because an engineer suggests the platform has been maxed does not make it disposable! It means that they cannot further the performance of the vehicle, which already kicks boot on 99% of the other sports cars made. So...what does this mean? It means a car company like GM simply continues to tweek the model and make it a desirable and better vehicle by the driving experience standard. Take for example; Ferrari Superfast.

Brilliant....compare a $400K car to a Corvette.

Can't wait for the reveal........ there won't be enough rocks for the idiots to hide under..........
Old 01-02-2019, 07:52 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Name a better FE car for CORVETTE MONEY.

I'll wait..........
Old 01-02-2019, 08:04 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Name a better FE car for CORVETTE MONEY.

I'll wait..........
You don't have to wait for anything, price has nothing to do with the point you made. You said the FE platform had reached its limit, which it obviously has not. There are still many improvements that could be implemented. Don't try to change the subject just because you were proven wrong.

Last edited by Sub Driver; 01-02-2019 at 08:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ltomn (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 08:25 PM
ltomn
Pro

My example was exactly that: an example. When a company wishes to excel at putting forth a prime example of their auto manufacturing prowess of itself, it comes up with something like a Superfast, or a DB11 or a AMG GT. These are prime examples of front engine efforts. The Corvette can be any of these! Heavens, as you readily boast, it already equals or surpasses them performance wise. Now get real and fess up to the merit of a multi platform effort from GM. It makes complete sense.

I will grant you one obvious concession. If/when Corvette does these enhancements to their front engine platform, it will, no doubt, be at Corvette pricing, which is much more palatable then Ferrari, Aston Martin or Mercedes prices.

Last edited by ltomn; 01-02-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:29 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

Just add rear wheel steer to the C7.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:46 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

OK....
We KNOW there's an ME Corvette coming.
We don't KNOW if there is an FE Corvette AFTER the C7. All the arguments for a single platform or 2 platforms make sense and are easily justified by their proponents..
Is it really necessary to belittle each other over something that NO ONE on this forum KNOWS at this point?
CorvetteBrent (01-03-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 08:55 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

BTW
It IS possible to have this discussion without it turning nasty...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-thinking.html

PS. I started the linked thread 5 months ago.

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-02-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:01 PM
ltomn
Pro

Originally Posted by jimmyb
BTW
It IS possible to have this discussion without it turning nasty...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-thinking.html

PS. I started the linked thread 5 months ago.
I wholeheartedly concede your observation that civility is not only wonderful but should be required. Your earlier post was insightful and you should be comfortable in that realization.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:09 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

You don't have to wait for anything, price has nothing to do with the point you made. You said the FE platform had reached its limit, which it obviously has not. There are still many improvements that could be implemented. Don't try to change the subject just because you were proven wrong.

You've proved nothing. The Corvette has to exist in a certain price range to survive as it has for the last 65 years.......not the fantasy world of pricing so many clueless people like you think it can live in and succeed. I never said the FE had reached it's limits...I was quoting the CE, who has to build a car that will sell in certain numbers......and building such a car has a pricing limit. If money were no object, than the only limits would be the laws of physics. Seriously? You don't get that?

This forum needs to slap on a ten cent cover charge to keep out the riff raff.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:15 PM
ltomn
Pro

Here it is!! First go read Miss Manners and then come back. I might add that the Corvette only exists in the price range that GM selects for it based on all of the various investments that it makes. The front engine has a lot of room for improvement but "meatheads," like you, chose to view it only in a performance vein. Recognize that you are one of about 100 vocal members of this forum that are suggesting GM see the merit of your argument for the betterment of 21,000 buyers. When that sinks in...and after Miss Manners...come back to talk.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:21 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Here it is!! First go read Miss Manners and then come back. I might add that the Corvette only exists in the price range that GM selects for it based on all of the various investments that it makes. The front engine has a lot of room for improvement but "meatheads," like you, chose to view it only in a performance vein. Recognize that you are one of about 100 vocal members of this forum that are suggesting GM see the merit of your argument for the betterment of 21,000 buyers. When that sinks in...and after Miss Manners...come back to talk.

You mean those measly 21K buyers who keep the car in existence?

Get notified of new replies

To Bob Lutz via Car Buzz reports C8 to cost not much more than C7

Old 01-02-2019, 09:22 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

I wholeheartedly concede your observation that civility is not only wonderful but should be required. Your earlier post was insightful and you should be comfortable in that realization.
I am comfortable with it...
And I am probably DEAD wrong, but this is a FORUM, where, hopefully, people can throw out ideas that are (hopefully) well thought out because of their knowledge and affection for the subject. Obvious click bait (say like $169,900 is THE price) should just be ignored (why not start a thread with the starting C8 price at $34,995, the effect would be the same.)
Old 01-02-2019, 09:26 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure why you delete this Skank....it's an awesome comeback:

---Quote (Originally by VETTE-NV)---
---End Quote---
Is that you Meathead ?
Old 01-02-2019, 09:31 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

You've proved nothing. The Corvette has to exist in a certain price range to survive as it has for the last 65 years.......not the fantasy world of pricing so many clueless people like you think it can live in and succeed. I never said the FE had reached it's limits...I was quoting the CE, who has to build a car that will sell in certain numbers......and building such a car has a pricing limit. If money were no object, than the only limits would be the laws of physics. Seriously? You don't get that?

This forum needs to slap on a ten cent cover charge to keep out the riff raff.
Anyone that has to resort to insults knows they have already lost. Try not to get so emotional and keep the low rent attempts at insults to yourself. Anyway, just to continue to prove you wrong you said, "What part of the chief engineer saying that they've taken the FE platform as far as they can don't you understand?" Nowhere in that statement did you say anything about price and you know it. That is a quite clear declaration stating they could not improve upon the FE platform, period, end of story. There was absolutely no discussion of price and now that you are trying to walk back your statement by adding qualifiers shows you know you are wrong. Move along.

Last edited by Sub Driver; 01-02-2019 at 09:32 PM.
vndkshn (01-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Bob Lutz via Car Buzz reports C8 to cost not much more than C7