Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 03:37 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksC3
I have loved Corvettes all my life, but the C8 Corvette I think has lost the Americana style. Looks like a typical Italian supercar too me. Just my opinion.
What exactly is this "Americana style" that you speak of?

It's a pretty global world this days with style being influenced from ALL kinds of places. Many folks in the US love the styling of cars (and other things) designed from all kinds of places. If what you are really saying is that you don't like that car design is moving past the '70's, '80's and '90's and you simply prefer an older style then that makes sense. But I don't know what "Americana style" is otherwise. The Ford GT, the C8... both American cars and both more exotic and worldly in design that what Ford and GM would have built 20 years ago. Time goes on... design evolves... progress is made.

If GM was designing cars that looked like the C3/4/5 they would be out of business today.

Besides... someone needs to have a car the Italian-Americans will like and buy

Last edited by gthal; 01-13-2019 at 07:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gthal:
bgspot (01-14-2019), DaveFerrari458 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 03:40 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

some hot babes have corvettes at my health club ...most are driving huge cuvs for their child..some ferraris, R8s, 911s, tesla model s, jaguar f types etc. i get a ton of compliments as everyone thinks my corvette is awesome, Im not quite sure why people on this forum are continually aee saying the corvette is an old mans car. Young men and women love the corvette. Most think they are way more expensive than they are. A lot of young people are wishing they could buy one meanwhile their daily driver costs more. They dont know and thats the single guys. The married guys tend to have kids etc and they often need to do a once in awhile pickup of their two kids...thats the reason young people often dont buy corvettes because its a two seater. Surprisingly when my son was born i said this is the exact time to get back into two seatsports car...and i bought my first corvette and have been buying and owning corvettes ever since.

the actual fact is once a young man buys a corvette, through the years as we age we continue to buy new corvettes. That loyalty is what causes the average age of corvette owners to increase compared to other brands.,,like porsches 911...

REPEAT OWNERSHIP BEYOND MANY OTHER BRANDS CAUSES AVERAGE AGE TO CONTINUE TO INCREASE.

ITS BRAND LOYALTY.

JMO
I agree with one caveat... if you don't attract NEW and YOUNGER buyers then eventually the brand dies because all of those with brand loyalty do as well
Old 01-12-2019, 10:30 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora_Vette
This new ME will get even more younger buyers into the Corvette.
Based on the guestimates I've seen as to its cost, that's pretty questionable.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:18 PM
Michael A Riley
Burning Brakes

Received 810 Likes on 221 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

I have had corvettes since my early twenties. Now in my thirties, I’m fortunate enough to have one from each generation in the stables. Some people give me crap over them, some are just jealous, and some just don’t get it...I don’t collect them for their pleasure though, so it matters not to me. It’s kind of like owning little pieces of automotive history. I currently have a ‘56 sitting next to a ‘63, sitting next to a ‘10ZR1, in front of a ‘15Z06....and others...The C8 will clearly be different in many ways- and that’s ok, probably even a good thing. Regardless of the price tag, it gives kids these days something to aspire to. When my son has a bunch of friends over, it’s almost like having a little car show- and I can say with confidence that there are atleast a good chunk of teenage kids out there that still love cool cars.

Last edited by Michael A Riley; 01-12-2019 at 11:20 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Michael A Riley:
23/C8Z (01-13-2019), bgspot (01-14-2019), ByByBMW (01-13-2019), z edge (01-14-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 11:48 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A Riley

I have had corvettes since my early twenties. Now in my thirties, I’m fortunate enough to have one from each generation in the stables. Some people give me crap over them, some are just jealous, and some just don’t get it...I don’t collect them for their pleasure though, so it matters not to me. It’s kind of like owning little pieces of automotive history. I currently have a ‘56 sitting next to a ‘63, sitting next to a ‘10ZR1, in front of a ‘15Z06....and others...The C8 will clearly be different in many ways- and that’s ok, probably even a good thing. Regardless of the price tag, it gives kids these days something to aspire to. When my son has a bunch of friends over, it’s almost like having a little car show- and I can say with confidence that there are atleast a good chunk of teenage kids out there that still love cool cars.
I purchased my 1st Corvette at age 18 and I am now on number 11 in my late 50ts.

I never consider a Corvette an old man's car.

born in 1960 I remember seeing a 1960 C1 wite with red interior as a young boy.

That was it for me I was hooked.

Still yet to own my dream car 1967 427 COUPE 390 HP WITH TRI POWER 4 speed A/C POWER BRAKE AND STEERING in Sunfire yellow with black stinger side pipe and red line tire.

For me the most beautiful car of all time.

I keep.my eyes open as I know one day I find that car and add to my garage.

STILL DON'T GET THE WHOLE CORVETTE IS AN OLD MAN'S CAR THING???
The following users liked this post:
tcweidner (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 12:48 AM
auburn2
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by smithers
The Corvette has to evolve to stay alive. Average age of new Corvette buyers is well over 60 years old. If they don’t get the car appealing to a younger market we won’t have a Corvette any more. GM was pretty open that this was the reason for the C7 going in a fairly radical direction. They appear to be doing it again with the C8.
If they want younger buyers they need to drop the price, iit seems they are doing the opposite.

FWIW I bet median age of Ferrari/Lambo/McClaren supercar buyers are over 60 as well. When you get down to it performance cars don't appeal to young drivers. They are more interested in car play and self driving than horsepower and handling.
The following 3 users liked this post by auburn2:
23/C8Z (01-13-2019), bgspot (01-14-2019), tcweidner (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 01:07 AM
tcweidner
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Boomers and Gen X, are likely the last two generations of true American car enthusiast. Things changed these last 30 years. Kids can no longer work on cars like the kids in the 50/60/70/80s could. Since the internet and cell phones the world has changed in so many ways. They have the world tied to their hip at all times. Growing up back then, you HAD to go out, and meet up and hang out, and the CAR was your way to do that. It was your social lifeline. Today kids and young adults would rather just UBER instead, a car is just that, a car. Now sure there are always exceptions and I am sure there are pockets of kids here and there still into cars, but as you older guys know, its nothing like it was. Its really just the fact that cars arent really easy to work on anymore, you dont need them for a social life, the laws are so much stricter on everything car related, etc etc.

Hell I remember my one friend had 3 late 1960 mustangs, all junkers. We would basically have to strip parts off them all to keep just one of them running each weekend. Hell back in the day if the cops caught you drinking and driving while under age, they simply took your beer and told you to beat it. No real drama. Boy things have changed, Im glad I grew up back in the day, this world today, I dont really like it too much.

Last edited by tcweidner; 01-13-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:11 AM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by tcweidner
Boomers and Gen X, are likely the last two generations of true American car enthusiast. Things changed these last 30 years. Kids can no longer work on cars like the kids in the 50/60/70/80s could. Since the internet and cell phones the world has changed in so many ways. They have the world tied to there hip at all times. Growing up back then, you HAD to go out, and meet up and hang out, and the CAR was your way to do that. It was your social lifeline. Today kids and young adults would rather just UBER instead, a car is just that, a car. Now sure there are always exceptions and I am sure there are pockets of kids here and there still into cars, but as you older guys know, its nothing like it was. Its really just the fact that cars arent really easy to work on anymore, you dont need them for a social life, the laws are so much stricter on everything car related, etc etc.

Hell I remember my one friend had 3 late 1960 mustangs, all junkers. We would basically have to strip parts of them all to keep just one of them running each weekend. Hell back in the day if the cops caught you drinking and driving while under age, they simply took your beer and told you to beat it. No real drama. Boy things have changed, Im glad I grew up back in the day, this world today, I dont really like it too much.
Way to generalize a ton of people. Let me give it to you from someone that is a younger person. Rules today are much more strict, things are more expensive, society is different. What was looked at a long time ago as "young kids having fun" is much different now. I could go on and on.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:16 AM
tcweidner
Racer

Way to generalize a ton of people. Let me give it to you from someone that is a younger person. Rules today are much more strict, things are more expensive, society is different. What was looked at a long time ago as "young kids having fun" is much different now. I could go on and on.
when speaking on a broad topic, of course, you have to generalize, and if you look at what I wrote, I agree with you. I know things are different today, more strict and it sucks. if I was a young person today I doubt I would be into cars either. Being into cars isnt a good or bad thing, its just one of the big differences between generations.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:20 AM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

when speaking on a broad topic, of course, you have to generalize, and if you look at what I wrote, I agree with you. I know things are different today, more strict and it sucks. if I was a young person today I doubt I would be into cars either. Being into cars isnt a good or bad thing, its just one of the big differences between generations.
I understand. I sometimes wish I was born in the early 80s instead of the late 90s. IMO it is the perfect time to be a kid then. Really glad I was born when I was, I am living in a great time now.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:23 AM
tcweidner
Racer

I was born in the '60s, and I'm glad I was, Growing up we enjoyed freedoms kids today could hardly imagine.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:25 AM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

I was born in the '60s, and I'm glad I was, Growing up we enjoyed freedoms kids today could hardly imagine.
Would have loved to have been part of the "ride in truck bed" and "no bike helmet" generation. My generation is so "pussified". You guys had a lot more fun than us, and what, at the cost of a few extra scraped knees?! A lot of people my age can't even figure out their gender...
The following users liked this post:
tcweidner (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 08:26 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
Read a deal a few days ago that the avg Corvette buyer was about 62 or 63 while the avg Porsche 911 buyer was about 55 or 56.
Seems that the real problem is that the younger buyer does not care about cars. They are just an appliance to get them from point a to point b.

I don't know that this is true, but what I do know as fact, is that two seat sports cars have always been bought primarily by older buyers. And, that age has crept up because starting with Gen X and continuing through Millennials (so far) they are achieving the typical life stages (marriage and kids) that hinder buying sports cars at a significantly older age. That is more of a driver of the aging of owners - also keep in mind, that this pool is not getting smaller.
Originally Posted by smithers
There are plenty of younger car enthusiasts out there, they just aren't buying Corvettes. Even those that can afford it are choosing something else.. Hellcats, higher end Camaros, GT350's, BMW M cars, etc. Vettes have just been trapped in the "car for old men" stereotype for too long.
So exactly how many ZL1 Camaros, Ford GT350's, Demons (the Hellcat Charger and Challenger, as big (true 4-5 seat vehicles) as they are are not sports car competitors). The BMW M's (except maybe the M2) are also true 4 seat vehicles (they are not competition since if you can fit the kids in the car, and can be your only car). As we have seen in the good C7 years (2014-2017) when they averaged more than 35,000 per year, the C7 sold more than every other 2 seat sports car sold in the US combined.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:09 AM
emsguy
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Default history repeats itself

When Jaguar revealed the E Type (XKE in America) at the Earls Court motor show in 1961, Enzo Ferrari called it the most beautiful car he had ever seen. And the 1963 corvette coupe sure looked a lot like the E Type coupe. And the C2 coupe was beautiful. It's not about copying another design, it's about 2 designers coming to the same design interpretation of beauty independently.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:59 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

I get the ME car... What i don't get is it replacing a tried and true method for Chevy since the late 50's... This car has survived as long as it has in a niche market... 20-40k sales annually with a new Gen roughly every 8-10yrs.. The corvette continues to evolve... not be REINVENTED... that is my issue with this. Make it a "ZORA" and gives us another FE corvette... PLEASE. make the new car cheaper than the last lighter less power and more fun to toss around. a 3000 corvette with 400tq 400tq is fine with me. the power increases have made this car almost useless for me (living in NJ). and i'm sure i'm not the only one. i Love looking at my current car but only get to open her up a couple times a drive and that's on a highway i can see danger from a LONG distance.

Everyone mentions "Corvette Buyers need to be younger" but the real issues are younger people cannot afford them. 99% of them at least. It's a Luxury to have one. And when you make such a radical change and creep the base price up into the now (probably) 60k something, AND change it to a mid engine car - you are now INVITING insurance companies to classify the car as an "Exotic" MARK MY WORDS the insurance rates will blow your mind.

As for the OP's opinion, i agree.. the overall shape and idea behind the new ME car looks eerily similar to an F430.. not a "458" style. and it's way porkier than an F430..

- a buddy of mine who owns a bunch of high end cars (Ferrari F12 -modified, Gallardo -modified, Huracan Performante -modified, Bentley Conti GT Supersports ($327k new), etc.), an 8.50et street legal CTS-V, and as many high end SUV's (and he's not even forty years old yet) looks at the C8 (renderings and pics out there) and stated the following "they F----d this up.. It looks like 80% Lambo and you'll feel like 80% of the D---- like I do when i drive mine." These are the guys with money that somehow Chevy thinks will buy the new vette. they're not. All others will now be looking elsewhere as the middle class keeps shrinking and it isn't going to stop. So it's the guys like that one above and it isn't going to be enough to lure them in. and the insurance costs for the rest of us will just destroy any desire to maintain that cost. I know i am there with my Z06.. and i have an excellent record it doesn't matter. it's the corvette tax.

PS. once the hype is gone say year 2 or 3, people like me will move in another direction probably a Zl1 or SRT model maybe even the Jeep and keep my used vette. i'm in my 40's and i have no desire to own or drive an ME car..
Old 01-13-2019, 10:48 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Would have loved to have been part of the "ride in truck bed" and "no bike helmet" generation. My generation is so "pussified". You guys had a lot more fun than us, and what, at the cost of a few extra scraped knees?! A lot of people my age can't even figure out their gender...
I've rode in truck beds. Trust me, you're not missing anything. We had way more fun in back seats.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:02 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
I've rode in truck beds. Trust me, you're not missing anything. We had way more fun in back seats.
And there is so much more traffic today that you cannot enjoy driving anymore.

Just out of high school I had a GTO. Would drive to the next town up the road, ten miles of straight road, and when l left town would put the throttle to the floor and keep it there until I got to the next town. Today you are lucky to be able to maintain 40 mph on that road.

Get notified of new replies

To Disappointed

Old 01-13-2019, 11:32 AM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

I don’t think age of the buyer matters today. It’s more about their economic ability to buy an expensive new car, and more importantly their desire or preference to do so. The boomers were the last generation whose lives were automobile centered, from the economy of the related manufacturing jobs to the way we live our daily lives.

I factory ordered my first Corvette when I was 20 years old. I was working at the GM plant in St. Louis and traded my two year old Mustang Mach 1. Like most of my friends then, I was a car junkie, but I was also making more money than most of my friends while I was going to college part time. Since then I’ve had one economic rule, work hard and save, but always drive a nice car. I’ve been fortunate enough to do that and more.

I’ve owned a number of Corvettes through the C6, but right now have only my 67. I did not like the styling of the C7 and skipped that generation. I retired a couple years ago but I am really looking forward to the ME C8 as I am ready to buy either that or a new 911. I want the Corvette, but it will depend on the revealed styling, inside and out. I plan to experience a lot more of the interior than the exterior.

The new ME is exciting to me, and those people who say it has to be a three pedal V8 or even a FE just need to accept change. I bet those same people would never board a DC3 today for a cross country business or vacation flight. Funny though, I’ll bet a lot of those same people wear Apple watches and play with drones.

On C7 sales, they were in fact down considerably during 2018, and some dealers are camped on huge C7 inventories. Yes GM has been paid for them. The dealer has them financed into the floor plan so he is paying interest on them and needs to discount them to move them. I don’t know if the inventory is 2 months or more, but optimally I would think anything more than that is problematic. Whatever the inventory, that backlog means the dealers may not be ordering more C7s unless they are customer ordered and that has to affect production at some point. I also suspect that there will be a lot of buyers who do not like the new C8, including those closed minded 3 pedal dinasours, so dealers will still have some people shopping for those left over C7s.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:07 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Yep, more traffic and more cops with far more sophisticated technology for catching speeders.

I'm fortunate to live in a fairly rural part of MI, about 30 miles away from GM's MPG. The back roads out here are so awesome that it's where Car and Driver do most of their hooning.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:02 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
- a buddy of mine who owns a bunch of high end cars...stated the following "they F----d this up.. It looks like 80% Lambo and you'll feel like 80% of the D---- like I do when i drive mine."
Kind of hard to decode this. What does he feel like when drives his Lambo?

Five letter word begins with a "D."

BTW he's wrong, it looks nothing like a Lambo. Very much like a Ferrari though, in a good way!

Quick Reply: Disappointed