Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 04:06 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
Kind of hard to decode this. What does he feel like when drives his Lambo?

Five letter word begins with a "D."

BTW he's wrong, it looks nothing like a Lambo. Very much like a Ferrari though, in a good way!
I'm curious how this "friend" can afford such nice cars. Because clearly he is not very intelligent. How can you tell what a car looks like with a bunch of fake panels, covered in REALLY distracting camo, and interior spy shots that are low resolution and very blurred and cropped.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:05 PM
mjross
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73

Read a deal a few days ago that the avg Corvette buyer was about 62 or 63 while the avg Porsche 911 buyer was about 55 or 56.
Seems that the real problem is that the younger buyer does not care about cars. They are just an appliance to get them from point a to point b.
I really think you are on to something here. The younger generation is too busy trying to survive to think about new cars.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:06 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by mjross

I really think you are on to something here. The younger generation is too busy trying to survive to think about new cars.
And how are we too busy trying to survive?
Old 01-13-2019, 10:21 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

I'm 33 and have had a used C5, used C6, and two brand new ordered C7's. If you prioritize what's important, and not buy a bunch of junk, or have to have the latest tech all the time, you can make it work. I'm also married with a 1 and 2 1/2 year old, so before anyone says " it's easy if you don't have a family" or such. If you want something bad enough, you can work your butt off for it and make it work no matter your age. I love cars though, so that's important to me. Sadly many people in my age group and younger do not.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:29 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

There are a lot of youth on here that own Corvettes. But out in the world there are tons of youth, especially in the last decade, that postponed getting their drivers license or never got one at all. Driving any car is not important to them at all. To me, this signals the death of the car culture.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:36 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

There are a lot of youth on here that own Corvettes. But out in the world there are tons of youth, especially in the last decade, that postponed getting their drivers license or never got one at all. Driving any car is not important to them at all. To me, this signals the death of the car culture.
Very true. It's sad to me, but I hope us dedicated guys keep some of the tradition alive.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:12 AM
TurboJunky
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
My local Lifetime Fitness serves a wealthy demographic and at any one time there are always Teslas, Porsches, King Ranch F150s, and tons of Jags, BMWs, and Mercs. Not a Corvette in sight...at least not after I sold my C6 Z06.

Despite all the praise car magazines throw at Corvettes, there are a ton of drawbacks to these cars that buyers are aware of, and this is all putting aside the horrible Corvette stigma that has developed over the past 2 decades. GM is very well aware of all of these things. Their priority is to make the Corvette cool again, find a younger demographic, and make more profit per car. If it just happens to be faster than the last gen, all the better, but that's a byproduct. Things like turbocharging, dual clutch transmissions, better interior, heightened driver engagement...this is what young people want. Not ancient burbling pushrods that sound like pickup trucks.
Young people(car enthusiast variety) want fast cars they can afford. Corvette's, even the 50k base variety, are not affordable to 99.9% of young people. I know of a few early 20 somethings with C5s that would trade them in a heartbeat for a newer C7 if they could swing but they can't.

Last edited by TurboJunky; 01-14-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:51 AM
mjross
Pro

Originally Posted by Zora_Vette
And how are we too busy trying to survive?
We are done here!
Old 01-14-2019, 10:02 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksC3
I have loved Corvettes all my life, but the C8 Corvette I think has lost the Americana style. Looks like a typical Italian supercar too me. Just my opinion.
DagNabbit! ...and look at all those new fangled cellular phones! Get off my lawn!

Old 01-14-2019, 11:14 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Everyone mentions "Corvette Buyers need to be younger" but the real issues are younger people cannot afford them. 99% of them at least. It's a Luxury to have one. And when you make such a radical change and creep the base price up into the now (probably) 60k something, AND change it to a mid engine car - you are now INVITING insurance companies to classify the car as an "Exotic" MARK MY WORDS the insurance rates will blow your mind.
"Younger" doesn't mean someone in their 20s. It means lowering the average age of Corvette owners- getting more people in their 30s and 40s interested (who do have the money).

And LOL, insurance rates are not based on some arbitrary "exotic" classification. They're based on actuaries who study/calculate accident rates for that model, safety features, cost of replacement parts, etc.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 01-14-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:20 AM
txapezl1
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
I've rode in truck beds. Trust me, you're not missing anything. We had way more fun in back seats.
The point of riding in the back of a truck wasn't about "fun" It was about freedom. Having the wind hit your face without being constricted inside of the vehicle. If anything, it was more dangerous and that was the whole point. Until mom yelled................get out the back of that truck before you hurt yourself.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:36 AM
mjross
Pro

Originally Posted by Red67John
My kids are 33 and 30, living in a Chicago and LA. I should have their DNA tested because neither is into cars. Neither has ever wanted to drive my Corvettes. They Both have good careers and drive an Acura and a Prius. The older one could afford a Corvette, the younger couldnt, but both look at their cars as necessities, not assets or toys. Both use Uber almost as much as ther own cars. Most of their friends seem to be like minded about cars.

There are Gen Y and Millenials that appreciate cool cars, but not like Boomers did. Actually, the same can be said about housing.

I sure hope America’s fascination with the automobile, ICE or EV, doesn’t died, but car sales are down, including Corvette which has had a pretty poor sales year, and the manufacturers are making all their money on trucks and SUVs.

I’m here at Barrett-Jackson and be assured, the fascination with the automobile has NOT died. You can hardly move in this frickin place because of all the people, and this venue, size wise is mind boggling.

Car sales are down because people can not afford new cars anymore. Prices on some of these new cars can be literally breath taking when I think back to what they costed only a few years ago. People are being priced out of the market. It’s a new world!

Old 01-14-2019, 11:49 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

I’m here at Barrett-Jackson and be assured, the fascination with the automobile has NOT died. You can hardly move in this frickin place because of all the people, and this venue, size wise is mind boggling.

Car sales are down because people can not afford new cars anymore. Prices on some of these new cars can be literally breath taking when I think back to what they costed only a few years ago. People are being priced out of the market. It’s a new world!

The number of people inside a collector car auction building does not represent trends among the 325 million people in the US.

Being a car enthusiast is very much a niche thing. Among my family, friends, and the general populace I interact with across the country/world, there are 3 categories: a) true car enthusiasts b) those who appreciate nice cars but aren't that into them and c) those that only see cars as a means of getting somewhere. Most people (of any age) fit into categories b) and c). And these two categories represent people who won't own a car in 50 years if there are alternative (less expensive, more convenient) means of transportation. Nothing wrong with that at all, and there's no need for any of us to be Luddites about it. There will still be great cars to buy for those of us that are true car enthusiasts. Lastly, no one here said the fascination with the automobile "died"...rather, it's diminishing. Not everything is binary, there's the in-between.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 01-14-2019 at 11:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ArmchairArchitect:
Foosh (01-14-2019), tcweidner (01-18-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:59 AM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

By virtue of moving the engine, it will look like something else. Just like the Viper, Vettes and mid-front engine cars look similar from some angles. Consider the Ferrari Portofino.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 12:31 PM
mjross
Pro

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
The number of people inside a collector car auction building does not represent trends among the 325 million people in the US.

Being a car enthusiast is very much a niche thing. Among my family, friends, and the general populace I interact with across the country/world, there are 3 categories: a) true car enthusiasts b) those who appreciate nice cars but aren't that into them and c) those that only see cars as a means of getting somewhere. Most people (of any age) fit into categories b) and c). And these two categories represent people who won't own a car in 50 years if there are alternative (less expensive, more convenient) means of transportation. Nothing wrong with that at all, and there's no need for any of us to be Luddites about it. There will still be great cars to buy for those of us that are true car enthusiasts. Lastly, no one here said the fascination with the automobile "died"...rather, it's diminishing. Not everything is binary, there's the in-between.
What ever! We are done...
Old 01-14-2019, 03:24 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
...there are 3 categories: a) true car enthusiasts b) those who appreciate nice cars but aren't that into them and c) those that only see cars as a means of getting somewhere.
That's a pretty good analysis, but I don't think it's diminishing, it's just advancing a generation. I love my cam-vibrating-loud-*** C7 just as much as a kid with a laptop and EcoBoost car. It's just a different way of exploiting the car for speed. I've seen a Ford Fusion spank the crap outa a cammed C6 Z06. Sounded like a loud silent fart, but yeah, pretty friggn impressive.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:08 PM
mjross
Pro

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
That's a pretty good analysis, but I don't think it's diminishing, it's just advancing a generation. I love my cam-vibrating-loud-*** C7 just as much as a kid with a laptop and EcoBoost car. It's just a different way of exploiting the car for speed. I've seen a Ford Fusion spank the crap outa a cammed C6 Z06. Sounded like a loud silent fart, but yeah, pretty friggn impressive.
still just a Fusion no matter how much lipstick you put on it!

Get notified of new replies

To Disappointed

Old 01-18-2019, 11:28 AM
retSoliderchevyguy
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barret Jackson Scottsdale AZ

I'll be at the Barrette Jackson on Sunday my only day off for a two week period. Anyone else going to be there. give me a yell. Tim
Old 01-18-2019, 11:32 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Read a deal a few days ago that the avg Corvette buyer was about 62 or 63 while the avg Porsche 911 buyer was about 55 or 56.
Seems that the real problem is that the younger buyer does not care about cars. They are just an appliance to get them from point a to point b.
Have to disagree. It's the same argument as the vette being a "midlife crisis car". The fact is, I've wanted a vette since I was 14, but couldn't afford one till I got the family raised, the kids through college, and got the wife her diamond ring. finally, after 25 years of marriage, it's MY turn.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:16 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by ZishanM
Plenty of young people choosing vettes too.
Define "young". Most "young" people I know are more into the EDM/JDM/Muscle cars/offroad trucks/jeeps than they are the Corvettes. That isn't to say that there aren't a few that do like Corvettes, but they're the minority of my car enthusiasts peers.

Originally Posted by JerriVette
REPEAT OWNERSHIP BEYOND MANY OTHER BRANDS CAUSES AVERAGE AGE TO CONTINUE TO INCREASE.

ITS BRAND LOYALTY.
Brand loyalty only causes it to increase if you aren't drawing in a new pool of youth. Yes, the same people may continue buying Corvettes, but you need to replenish them with youth if you don't want your market to get old and die off.

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
STILL DON'T GET THE WHOLE CORVETTE IS AN OLD MAN'S CAR THING???
An average ownership age of 61-63, as quoted above, there isn't much to get. The stats speak for themselves.

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
I'm 33 and have had a used C5, used C6, and two brand new ordered C7's. If you prioritize what's important, and not buy a bunch of junk, or have to have the latest tech all the time, you can make it work. I'm also married with a 1 and 2 1/2 year old, so before anyone says " it's easy if you don't have a family" or such. If you want something bad enough, you can work your butt off for it and make it work no matter your age. I love cars though, so that's important to me. Sadly many people in my age group and younger do not.
You either fell into some money, make a lot more than the average 33 year old, and/or prioritize yourself over your family. Yes, I fully understand the concept of putting your money towards what you want. No, most 33 year olds with a wife and two toddlers do not have the disposable income to have the value of a starter home on order for two Corvettes with two others (presumably not cheap salvage title finds) sitting in the garage. Speaking as a 32 year old in a two income, engineer and health professional childless house, tying up the better part of $200k in four cars is in no way a reasonable decision for my life, even if I could skimp on everything else and find a way to make it work. I really don't want a car which can be the only focus of my life, because every last dime is going to it. Its not "sad" that folks don't put their entire life into loving cars, it is common sense.

Last edited by jefnvk; 01-18-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Disappointed