Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a possibility?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 08:39 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Take a closer look. That central tunnel extends much further down that just the pink color area. The gray color with the slanted bulges (sort of like diamond plate) is also part of the central tunnel extending down to the floor board.
I have that listed as P. Can't be removable so it must be bonded to K during assembly. It's going to be wonderful examining this car. Will there be some members attending the release ceremony? Who's going? I'll ask Tadge WTF was he thinking with this FU geometry.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:40 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora_Vette
That central tunnel is hardly a few inches taller than the rest of the floor pan. I don't see how that equates to the very high console we see in the pictures. Good info by the way, very in depth!
It looks very tall to me. The purple area is just the top, then there is the silver/gray area running on down to the floor at that gold strip.

See the red markup.

Last edited by Tom73; 01-13-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:51 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by CitznFish
There will not be a FE in production when the ME is in full production. I do not know why people cling to this
Well, if we're talking about official, confirmed 'facts', we don't know that there will be an ME car. We may know by the end of the week, t as for now, the people that will produce it have not acknowledged it's existence. So, that said, who is to say that the ME will not be a special, low volume, performance focused model with it's own generational time line sold alongside the traditional FE car. There are compelling arguments either way for speculation sake, but the only folks that know the facts aren't sharing them as of yet.

The photo's look interesting. I do wonder about what appears to be some blurred something blocking out the view of the dash on the passenger side. Also there are a couple of small areas blurred out in other spots, like at the armrest. There also appears to be some black cable of some sort coming from behind the touch screen. This from the pics on carscoops.
https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/ex...awaiting-pics/
Old 01-13-2019, 09:10 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tom73

It looks very tall to me. The purple area is just the top, then there is the silver/gray area running on down to the floor at that gold strip.

See the red markup.

I bet It is a steel sheet metal access panel. It would also perform anti bending duties by completing the box section even at 14g. I always try to lighten a structure and lower cost and retain design objectives. Chapman spoke of adding lightness. This sheet metal section replaces heavier tubing. Audi and Lamborghini still use tubular steel space frames. Trouble with composites and aluminum is the real estate it takes.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:18 PM
TFen
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 88 Posts

Old 01-13-2019, 09:20 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

There will not be a FE in production when the ME is in full production. I do not know why people cling to this
Right. How ever, as Lutz said in a Autoline interview, (See the vid) When people get tired of the ME after a couple of years, a FE car can use many of the components of the ME. Magnesium subframes are quick and simple to design and cast. The car could be done in months and produced side by side. This ME Vette chassis is going to change industry thinking. .
Old 01-13-2019, 09:21 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

comparing this with the picture with the cladding. Dont see the resemblance.

Last edited by Zora_Vette; 01-13-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:24 PM
TFen
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 88 Posts

comparing this with the picture with the cladding. Dont see the resemblance.
This forum never ceases to amaze me.

Last edited by TFen; 01-13-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:28 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Fenwick
This forum never ceases to amaze me.
Agreed. It's truly an incredible feat. All the coding that goes into it, and the amazing members. Truly incredible.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:37 PM
nyca
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 139 Posts

Alot of back and forth on this idea about "the C7 continues" - after reading everything and seeing industry trends - I say the C7 does continue. It continues as a rebirthed premium sport SUV. You obviously cannot have a mid engine SUV. Have you seen the sales #s on the Lambo Urus? Very strong. That's where the market is - a front engine premium sport SUV and a mid engine sports car. These are the two models what Bowling Green is going to produce.

Last edited by nyca; 01-13-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:41 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nyca
Alot of back and forth on this idea about "the C7 continues" - after reading everything and seeing industry trends - I say the C7 does continue. It continues as a rebirthed premium sport SUV. You obviously cannot have a mid engine SUV. Have you seen the sales #s on the Lambo Urus? Very strong. That's where the market is - a front engine premium sport SUV and a mid engine sports car. These are the two models what Bowling Green is going to produce.
That is a great idea, I have been thinking about it too. I have driven and ridden in the Urus and it is a fantastic vehicle. If I had the money, I would totally buy one.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:43 PM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

You know, I have wondered if they did offer an FE along with ME, they could simply do a refresh on the C7 and offer maybe the 4 cyl turbo for the tuner crowd and a v6 along with the LT1/Grand Sport, no more Z06 or ZR1, and then offer the new C8 with the more hipo or exotic motors. The C7 is so light, 300-350hp would be plenty and could provide maybe a $45k entry level and also something someone would be more comfortable taking to the track since it would be a it more affordable. Then the C8 pricing would start from $70k where the C7 pricing would stop. This would also give you a stepping stone for Corvette enthusiasts kind of like Cayman to 911.

Last edited by C82LT; 01-13-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:48 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WGGS
You know, I have wondered if they did offer an FE along with ME, they could simply do a refresh on the C7 and offer maybe the 4 cyl turbo for the tuner crowd and a v6 along with the LT1/Grand Sport, no more Z06 or ZR1, and then offer the new C8 with the more hipo or exotic motors. The C7 is so light, 300-350hp would be plenty and could provide maybe a $45k entry level and also something someone would be more comfortable taking to the track since it would be a it more affordable. Then the C8 pricing would start from $70k where the C7 pricing would stop. This would also give you a stepping stone for Corvette enthusiasts kind of like Cayman to 911.
The stepping stone for Corvettes is the Camaro. Also, doing what you said would really cheapen the brand, and that is the opposite of what Chevy needs. That's a terrible idea.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:14 PM
C82LT
Drifting

The stepping stone for Corvettes is the Camaro. Also, doing what you said would really cheapen the brand, and that is the opposite of what Chevy needs. That's a terrible idea.
Are you in automotive marketing or have you done a study to disclaim this? It works for Porsche, Ducati, Audi etc. And the Camaro is not a stepping stone for the Corvette. The Stingray is a steppingstone to the Z06 and then ZR1. Again, the C8 would be the full on Corvette and the C7 would be the junior. The camaro doesn’t offer the same driving experience, culture or mystique.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:33 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 4,992 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by WGGS

Are you in automotive marketing or have you done a study to disclaim this? It works for Porsche, Ducati, Audi etc. And the Camaro is not a stepping stone for the Corvette. The Stingray is a steppingstone to the Z06 and then ZR1. Again, the C8 would be the full on Corvette and the C7 would be the junior. The camaro doesn’t offer the same driving experience, culture or mystique.
Plenty of Corvette owners started out with Camaros. It’s a logical jump because they offer similar performance in a cheaper package.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:37 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by smithers

Plenty of Corvette owners started out with Camaros. It’s a logical jump because they offer similar performance in a cheaper package.

Careful, that had too much logic and made too much sense. Didn't even bother replying to him. "Market studies" lol. It's called common sense.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:50 PM
C82LT
Drifting

Careful, that had too much logic and made too much sense. Didn't even bother replying to him. "Market studies" lol. It's called common sense.
Conventional wisdom is not always common sense or correct.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this a possibility?

Old 01-13-2019, 10:55 PM
auburn2
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Not saying I disagree, but then why expand the plant? Considering the price increase; they are going to sell fewer C8s then they have C7s, so wouldn't the right move be to downsize not expand.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:01 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by auburn2
Not saying I disagree, but then why expand the plant? Considering the price increase; they are going to sell fewer C8s then they have C7s, so wouldn't the right move be to downsize not expand.
Since both cars can be built on the same assembly line they would not need an expansion to build both. So why the expansion, who knows.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:13 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Killing the Camaro would be a terrible idea. But there is so many ways this could go so all we can do is speculate and hope for leaks.
Where did I say kill it?

Move it to a different platform and change the pricing model.

If anyone remembers the FRC was supposed to be a $35K no leather inexpensive model Corvette.

Quick Reply: Is this a possibility?