Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Powertrain Exposed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 08:41 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,283 Likes on 928 Posts

Its a forum - where people read and write topics - someone comes in here due to catchy titles and click bait tactics to only leave because 1) they dont want to sit and hear you talk 2) no headphones 3) would rather read it than watch it 4) dont want to increase your youtube post counts with clickbait that exists literally everywhere with people thinking they will get famous.

If we wanted to watch videos we would be on youtube - not on a forum. That is why the hostilitiy exists with all of your posts. Some people may like your videos - I have no doubt in that - but a vast majority are annoyed by it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Apocolipse:
ArmchairArchitect (01-24-2019), ShagVette (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:27 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by kozmic
"C8 Powertrain Exposed !!!"

Old 01-24-2019, 09:34 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Why do people keep saying that the same DCT used by the GT500 will be used in the ME Corvette? Makes no sense... the GT500 uses a transmission, whereas the ME car will need a transAXLE... one gets bolted to a driveshaft connected to a differential, the other gets bolted to two axles.... perhaps they will share some internals, but I am pretty certain they will not "share the same DCT".

Transmission:

TransAXLE:

Because in the end the transmission part of the transaxle would be the same. The gears, electronics, function, etc... The case would be very different obviously.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:38 AM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 390 Likes on 318 Posts

"C8 Powertrain Exposed !!!"

Someone building a FFR GTM?
Old 01-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Why do people keep saying that the same DCT used by the GT500 will be used in the ME Corvette? Makes no sense... the GT500 uses a transmission, whereas the ME car will need a transAXLE... one gets bolted to a driveshaft connected to a differential, the other gets bolted to two axles.... perhaps they will share some internals, but I am pretty certain they will not "share the same DCT".
Because Tremec has stated that the DCT in the Mustang is a modular design and can be manufactured in a transaxle configuration.

Tremec TR-7007 DCT / TR-9007 DCT data sheet PDF.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:54 AM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
Because Tremec has stated that the DCT in the Mustang is a modular design and can be manufactured in a transaxle configuration.

Okay, I can understand Tremec's perspective and marketing of such, but I guess my definition of "the same DCT" is different... I really don't consider a "modular design", that could be adapted to accommodate various configurations, the definition of "the same DCT".

Last edited by kozmic; 01-24-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:13 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Okay, I can understand Tremec's perspective and marketing of such, but I guess my definition of "the same DCT" is different... I really don't consider a "modular design", that could be adapted to accommodate various configurations, the definition of "the same DCT".
If the differential is located between the engine and the transmission, the most common transaxle configuration, the power runs through the differential to the transmission and then the transmission does it thing. Then the power has to turn around and go back to the differential. Much more involved than a case modification. You have to add gears and shafts to get the power back to the differential. Basicly you have the transmission input shaft and the output shaft on the same end of the transmission. That would lead to basicly a whole new unit instead of a modular version of an existing transmission. They may use some gears and gear sets that are the same but that would be all.
ArmchairArchitect (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:40 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 4,991 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by C7s
Isn't it better to provide pics & context in addition to explaining what I observed on the powertrains in person rather than just stating words in a forum??? Of course its all speculation but thats all we can do until its released and this should be fun & open for anyone to express their opinion. I don't understand the hostility, no one is forcing you to watch or participate.
I like how you defend everything but the clickbait titles that are clearly meant to mislead people into playing your video.

While not not everyone wants to watch a video, I’d bet you and the other you tubers would be better received around here if your titles and thumbnails weren’t clickbait designed to trick people into giving you a view. I mean you made a video about the Cadillac blackwing engine... why not just title the video something that makes it obvious what you’re talking about? Why the “C8 exposed!!!!” Nonsense?
ShagVette (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:20 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 127 Posts

^^^ Would you watch a video titled Caddy Blackwing V8??? The powertrain exposed is not a lie. The engine & trans were on display exposed at NAIAS 2019. By far majority of people enjoy the info & detail shown in the video and as I said a version of these will likely be found in the C8. If you don't agree, that is what this forum is for to discuss this. You don't have to watch or participate if this somehow bothers you. That is why this is a separate thread.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:26 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Finally you admit you’re misleading people to get video views lol it’s funny that you can’t seem to understand why people get annoyed when you are flat out lying to them so you can get a view and make money from them.
ShagVette (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:47 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

It has already been revealed that the Blackwing is Cadillac exclusive and will not be in the C8. Mods, lock the thread please. Tired of this guy already. These YouTube idiots think they're so important, when all they're doing is rehashing what is said here, and in some cases such as this... going as far as making complete lies to get views.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:08 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

They undoubtedly share many parts and are built to the same specifications, though of course they aren't exactly the same. It's sort of like how a Camaro LT with a 2.0T engine, A8 tranny, crappy seats, and base suspension is called a "Camaro," yet a Camaro ZL1 with a 6.2SC engine, A10 tranny, Recaro seats, and MRC suspension is also called a "Camaro."

Old 01-24-2019, 06:41 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

They undoubtedly share many parts and are built to the same specifications, though of course they aren't exactly the same. It's sort of like how a Camaro LT with a 2.0T engine, A8 tranny, crappy seats, and base suspension is called a "Camaro," yet a Camaro ZL1 with a 6.2SC engine, A10 tranny, Recaro seats, and MRC suspension is also called a "Camaro."
Many transmissions are modular today so that a transmission is merely the gears, shafts, shifting mechanisms, and some fluid systems that can be dropped into an assortment of housings. So if you look at a DCT as merely the gear switching mechanism, then yes the GT500 with its traditional transmission layout could have the same DCT as the C8's transaxle layout due to the actual mechanism being the same.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:54 PM
vettenutchas
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The dual clutch transmission can be mounted on the front of the differential just as the transmission is now in a C7. A C7 does not have a "transaxle".
Old 01-24-2019, 07:55 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vettenutchas
The dual clutch transmission can be mounted on the front of the differential just as the transmission is now in a C7. A C7 does not have a "transaxle".
In a ME car, the diff and tranny is one unit. ME cars use a transaxle.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:18 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenutchas
Too long. That would cause either the engine to move forward 12-18 inches or the rear wheels to move back lengthing the wheelbase by a foot or foot and a half.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:45 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I don't think there is anything here that will end up being true. Right from the start, Harlan Charles is not with the Design Team, he is the Corvette Marketing Manager. The CAD drawings don't indicate the Blackwing engine is being used, and the Tremac dual clutch trans is for a front engine rear drive car.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Powertrain Exposed!

Old 01-24-2019, 10:00 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

How come so many people on here sound like bitter old men always getting your panties in a wad? STFU and move on if you are going to whine.

Also, the C7Z06 was the biggest flop in Corvette history. The new c8 will sport a twin turbo motor like the Caddy and it will be bring Corvettes back to greatness.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:02 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6Z06C6
How come so many people on here sound like bitter old men always getting your panties in a wad? STFU and move on if you are going to whine.

Also, the C7Z06 was the biggest flop in Corvette history. The new c8 will sport a twin turbo motor like the Caddy and it will be bring Corvettes back to greatness.
How about YOU STFU. We're tired of click baiting YouTube idiots
Old 01-24-2019, 10:14 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6Z06C6

lol stfu

Quick Reply: C8 Powertrain Exposed!