Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The BIGGEST problem with owning the first year C8

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 04:41 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

Its gonna look like a $60k car which it is. No one will confuse it with a Ferrari.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:57 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Those cars must have passed the stringent final quality inspection.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:45 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I think those lucky enough to take delivery early on with the c8 will have to endure the admiration of the entire sports car community.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerriVette:
elegant (02-24-2019), ltomn (02-28-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

The worst part is that delivery will probably take place in the late fall or winter so those of us in the snow belt won't get to drive it hard for months.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
The biggest problem will be paying MSRP for a new platform put together by UAW folks who don't "really" care about the fit and finish expected of a car at this price point.
I agree paying MSRP for a car that will be discounted in six months is a double hit on the depreciation.

On quality... you cant really blame it on the assemblers. They simply assemble the parts they are given, according to the instruction and quality control oversight they receive. It’s on the engineers and assembly management to ensure that the cars that roll of the end of the assembly line are of the quality they intend them to be. It’s a mass produced American sports car.

Last edited by Red67John; 02-24-2019 at 10:08 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Red67John:
Jackie Chiles (02-25-2019), RapidC84B (02-25-2019), Zaro Tundov (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 12:20 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

You will be lucky to pay MSRP.

Most dealers will tack on a surcharge if they can get away with it.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:32 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

I gave just under MSRP for the first C6 deleivered in the St. Louis area in 2004. I would have probably given the MSRP but not a penny more. I gave a $500 deposit to place the order. Will I do it again? Depends on what that MSRP is. And judging by the responses on his forum, initial demand for the C8 should be fairly strong so dealers will be trying to take advantage of the supply and demand.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:17 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

There are multiple articles you can read that GM is having a tough time retaining talent. One of their biggest issues is drug use. My 2014 is riddled with panel fit/finish issues. Go walk a lot and look at new ones, paint is vastly improved, but gaps are all over the map. Mechanically my car has been great, but for a car marketed as having 3mm panel gaps and a "gap man" checking every gap at the plant that's just false. None of my C5s had any issues like I've seen on the C7s. Not going to derail this thread, but I've met many people who just don't look at cars closely. I used to be an insurance adjuster so panel fit and alignment are something I notice. The C7 is very poor in this regard, or I should say worse than the C5/6 generations. Next time you're around a lot of C7s start looking at the gaps between the doors to the quarters at the top, the fender to door gaps side to side, how the rear fascia aligns to the quarters;especailly at the top, hood to fender gap side to side and at the front, front fascia to fenders, and a big one is how the character line/crease that flows through the door into the fender lines up; many times the doors are inset from the fender a good bit (no I'm not talking about how the very bottom of the door tucks in). Oh and another good one is the fuel doors... none are centered in the quarter opening because as the cars age the plastic hinge sags.

I've been to BG many times in the C5/6 days and I agree the people cared, but something about the C7 has changed the end result in this one specific area. They didn't switch to the skillet system and slow the line down for no reason. They did it to improve assembly quality. The skillets allow the chassis to be loaded while installing the body panels in an attempt to ensure better outcomes. From what I've seen walking the lot at my local dealer (I buy a lot of parts from them) the gaps and panel alignment are inconsistent and 90% of the cars on the lot has some kind of issue in the areas I mentioned.
I recently bought a DD gm awd,,so far so good, but the body panels sure need improvements for sue, paint is nice.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:05 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

There are multiple articles you can read that GM is having a tough time retaining talent. One of their biggest issues is drug use. My 2014 is riddled with panel fit/finish issues. Go walk a lot and look at new ones, paint is vastly improved, but gaps are all over the map. Mechanically my car has been great, but for a car marketed as having 3mm panel gaps and a "gap man" checking every gap at the plant that's just false. None of my C5s had any issues like I've seen on the C7s. Not going to derail this thread, but I've met many people who just don't look at cars closely. I used to be an insurance adjuster so panel fit and alignment are something I notice. The C7 is very poor in this regard, or I should say worse than the C5/6 generations. Next time you're around a lot of C7s start looking at the gaps between the doors to the quarters at the top, the fender to door gaps side to side, how the rear fascia aligns to the quarters;especailly at the top, hood to fender gap side to side and at the front, front fascia to fenders, and a big one is how the character line/crease that flows through the door into the fender lines up; many times the doors are inset from the fender a good bit (no I'm not talking about how the very bottom of the door tucks in). Oh and another good one is the fuel doors... none are centered in the quarter opening because as the cars age the plastic hinge sags.

I've been to BG many times in the C5/6 days and I agree the people cared, but something about the C7 has changed the end result in this one specific area. They didn't switch to the skillet system and slow the line down for no reason. They did it to improve assembly quality. The skillets allow the chassis to be loaded while installing the body panels in an attempt to ensure better outcomes. From what I've seen walking the lot at my local dealer (I buy a lot of parts from them) the gaps and panel alignment are inconsistent and 90% of the cars on the lot has some kind of issue in the areas I mentioned.
I have a C5, and the fit and finish of the C7 isn't even close, not on the outside or the inside. The dash feature line NEVER lines up with the door on the C7. What happened to the BG plant quality manager that was suppose to be working on these issues?

I was looking at the automobile brand reliability rating at Consumer Reports. Out of 28 brands, Cadillac was ranked dead last, GMC was rated 24th out of 28, and Chevrolet rated 22nd out of 28. That's abysmal. Toyota was rated #1. Do you think people buy Toyotas because they are so stylish or so fast? No, it is because they are well put together, you don't have to spend your life at the dealership service department, and they hold their value. Even value brands like Hyundai and Kia have blasted by GM in reliability. Mary Barra needs to get off her butt, and get her company's cars fixed for quality.

Last edited by Michael A; 02-24-2019 at 11:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 09:25 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,170 Likes on 5,991 Posts

To not further derail this thread... you can read threads in the ZR1 section about how GM allows their $150K flagship car to leave the plant:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-new-zr1.html
Old 02-26-2019, 01:36 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

FIrst, "fit and finish" is subjective. I'm picky, but not suffering from an OCD. My 2016 looks just fine to me, but I could easily spend 2 hours on a Saturday and find 100 things on the car that were not "perfect" (whatever that is).

I've been in Porsche Club for decades, and I can tell you that brand-new $120K 911s have orange peel...(depending on how you define "orange peel").

If you want a Corvette with flawless, show-perfect $20K paint, just take it to a shop and spend $20K. But I hear everybody saying that if the C8 is over $65K base, "nobody" will buy it.

If you want a Ferrari, cough up $350K, and buy a Ferrari.

If you want a Porsche, cough up $120K, and buy a Porsche

If you want a Corvette, cough up the $65K, and buy a Corvette.

If you think a Toyota is a better car, buy a Toyota
AORoads (02-28-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 01:41 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

First year problems could end up being many. GM is not exactly known for putting out quality product in the first year of production. I'm looking at you 68' Vette...basically the whole car was broken. And I'm looking at you 84' Vette...you were a hold over due to the mountain of problems in the prior year's attempt and were still broken. And I'm looking at you 97'...anyone remember the glue coming loose from the rear hatch and windows becoming kites at 70mph?

Also, let's not forget how great GM is at making mid-engine cars. I'm looking at you Fiero.

2020 could end up being a scary year for Corvette.

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 02-26-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:26 AM
wilfie
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Back to the OP question, My biggest problem is the people tailgating to get a look and then driving beside to get the video. Mostly pickup trucks that have amazing stopping abilities when they rear end something. I tell the wife to smile and enjoy. Me not so much. I do have some leftover Ferrari shields (Chinese knockoffs) from my Ferrari rebuild. I am tempted.
The other issue will be when you take it to the dealer and they crowd around it because THEY haven't seen one.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

The biggest problem will be paying MSRP for a new platform put together by UAW folks who don't "really" care about the fit and finish expected of a car at this price point.
Fit and finish put lovingly into a vehicle as it moves down the production line has been gone for many years. Ever since Toyoda reinvented the production line and took out the variability. Now everybody builds their cars the same way Toyoda designed his manufacturing system.

Bill
RapidC84B (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 08:35 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
First year problems could end up being many. GM is not exactly known for putting out quality product in the first year of production. I'm looking at you 68' Vette...basically the whole car was broken. And I'm looking at you 84' Vette...you were a hold over due to the mountain of problems in the prior year's attempt and were still broken. And I'm looking at you 97'...anyone remember the glue coming loose from the rear hatch and windows becoming kites at 70mph?

Also, let's not forget how great GM is at making mid-engine cars. I'm looking at you Fiero.

2020 could end up being a scary year for Corvette.
"Keep hope alive!" If we don't have hope, what's left?

I think it'll be a Herculean task to make it right the first year, but my guess is, they are going to try.

I think Ferrrari stickers covering various points would be very cool to see! It'd sure be a good laugh! As long as they peel off easily. Without affecting the Xpel, ceramic coat, Zaino, paint buff, etc.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:34 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

The crazy thing is some people thought/thinks the C7 is a Ferrari or some exotic brand. Back in 2014 when the C7 was such a rare sight to see on the road, my friend and I were driving on the freeway and saw a red C7 drive by us. He screamed out.... "that's a new Ferrari". As we hit traffic and the C7's lane slowed and we caught up to it, my friend saw the "Corvette" name on the back and said "DAMNNNNNNN, that's a Corvette????? Damnnnnn, wowwwww, that's a Corvette?!?!".

Even now, I still have people walking up to me complimenting on the C7 not knowing it's a Corvette. The attention is just part of driving a sports car.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:07 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

With the mid engine configuration there is no doubt that the C8 will be mistaken for various exotics even more than the C7 was.

Just a few weeks ago I stopped at a small market in my '19 GS and had a younger Hispanic fellow scream, "Woooh - Nice Lambo!!" from across the parking lot..I just smiled and waved.

Last edited by oregonsharkman; 02-28-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To The BIGGEST problem with owning the first year C8

Old 02-28-2019, 02:27 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,170 Likes on 5,991 Posts

Kids at my daughter's daycare thing my C7 is a Ferrari. I correct them nicely in the hopes in may spur a future car enthusiast.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:11 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 137 Posts
Default No torque tube -->Better Cup holder

With no torque tube we might get better (real) Cup holders!

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Putting up with all the idiots complaining about the tail lights and cup holders.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:20 AM
Patriot10
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

Look at the photo of some of the employees in that other thread....I see people going to play golf who are dressed better than they are.

Quick Reply: The BIGGEST problem with owning the first year C8