Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Chevy making a mistake with auto-only C8 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 09:55 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Is the M7's transmission temperature guage located on the left side of the main DIC?
It's easy to monitor everything important on the 2018 and beyond C7s with this one display. It's a Track mode display, but I have it set as my permanent display regardless of what drive mode I'm in. See the trans temp gauge just to the right of the tire pressure display.

The following users liked this post:
jefnvk (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 12:28 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It's easy to monitor everything important on the 2018 and beyond C7s with this one display. It's a Track mode display, but I have it set as my permanent display regardless of what drive mode I'm in. See the trans temp gauge just to the right of the tire pressure display.
One thing I think Chevy has generally done well throughout history is cluster design. That is one of the few points I've always liked them over other competitive OEMs
Old 03-20-2019, 03:23 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Agree, that one display pictured above is the best I've ever seen on any vehicle. There are dozens of display choices, but mine never changes from that one above.

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep, if I recall correctly it is at the bottom left side of the case below where the skip shift solenoid electrical connection is located. Can confuse the two but the electrical connection plugs are different.
He was asking about the gauge, Jerry, not where the temp probe is on the trans.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-20-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:27 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
Yes, the Porsche uses a fantastic 6MT transmission.

Compare that to the dreadful 6MT and the just-as-bad 7MT in the C6 and C7....those are horrible examples of manual transmissions. Assuming Chevy can't do any better than they have in this department than they have in the past 10 years, give me the DCT.

If you want an idea of how a real manual transmission should feel, without the notchiness and vague feeling of the Corvettes, go drive a GT 350, a 911, or...hell, a Miata. Now THOSE are enjoyable to shift
I much prefer a Manual, but I'll take an Automatic if it's a good trans.

Not like the **** A8.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:54 PM
fanatic26
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really surprises me all the hate for the M7. Once warmed up its one of the nicest and smoothest transmissions ive ever driven daily.

Auto on a pleasure car will always be a hard NO.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:55 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

That's (TRACK) a beautiful thing ^^^^ !!

However, without the Z51 option, you get none of those goodies. Unless I've totally missed it going through the MENU on my base 2017.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:24 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

As much as I love my manuals, I think I'm on board with the DCT (realistically I'm a used C8 buyer in 3-4 years) for this application.

The Camaro really fills that manual tough guy real man niche well and there is just something very exotic and Euro (gay?) about a cleaner cockpit with a race only F1 style transmission in a ME sports car.

That said, if the C8 comes with a manual, that's the only thing I'd consider.

Tough decisions man!
Old 03-24-2019, 12:26 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

I'm predicting here and now, that one of the most common thread topics a year or two from now will be either how disappointing the DCT is in the new C8, how much certain folks wished they had a manual, along with myriad other complaints, such as it's very "jerky.". Porsche spent years perfecting the PDK, and to expect the new Tremec DCT to be as refined is just not realistic.

If it's DCT only, which I expect it to be in year 1, I'd bet a sizable amount that the blowback will be significant. BMW and Porsche learned that lesson, and Jaguar felt compelled to offer a manual in MY3 in the F-Type V6 for the same blowback reasons. The Tremec M7 didn't work in F-Type platform, so they only offered it in the V6. Even so, it had a lot of takers in a car that doesn't sell all that well. For whatever reasons, there are a lot of folks who just want manuals in sports cars, but not in anything else.
because it's an experience.....

why do I buy sports cars...? For the driving experience.....

if you take out manual trans from the equation, it's not as engaging to me as a driver. I dont care if it's slower or older technology... it's not the point.
The following 3 users liked this post by mammoth713:
JD_AMG (03-24-2019), Suns_PSD (03-26-2019), UsernameProtected (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 12:28 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

pre-2018 you cant do the assigned gauges? (I know you can do the track hockeystick tacometer, but what's special about post 2018?)
Old 03-24-2019, 05:05 AM
soohooner
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my first Z-51 in 2013 the sales guy asked me if I wanted a Manual or an automatic. I told him my soul would burn in automobile Hell if I matched anything other than a Manual to this engine. After having a white 2014, and then a red 2016 Z-51, I sincerely hope than GM offers a Manual in the C-8. I've tried to warm up to the paddles in other cars that were very nice, but they just didn't feel like the visceral driving experience that I get every time I shift gears up and down the seven speed transmission. Perhaps the configuration on the C-8 will be more exciting and compelling. I'm willing to try it I guess to see if the overall experience matches my current C-7. Until then I remain a skeptic.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:25 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

To me, it has nothing to do with what is more modern, or technologically advanced or correct, or what others like or don't like, it's simply a personal choice that manual transmissions are fun to me.

And to answer the OP, with the other major sports car manufacturers going full auto, or 90% auto with maybe 1 manual model, I think Chevy will lose only a few diehards, the rest will acquiesce to "it's all they offer" and probably switch.
jefnvk (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:30 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by soohooner
When I bought my first Z-51 in 2013 the sales guy asked me if I wanted a Manual or an automatic. I told him my soul would burn in automobile Hell if I matched anything other than a Manual to this engine. After having a white 2014, and then a red 2016 Z-51, I sincerely hope than GM offers a Manual in the C-8. I've tried to warm up to the paddles in other cars that were very nice, but they just didn't feel like the visceral driving experience that I get every time I shift gears up and down the seven speed transmission. Perhaps the configuration on the C-8 will be more exciting and compelling. I'm willing to try it I guess to see if the overall experience matches my current C-7. Until then I remain a skeptic.
I feel the same, I even switched to the A8 in my '17 from an M7 in a '15 Z51, so that I could evaluate and learn the intricacies of paddle shifting a high HP sports car. It didn't take long to get used to it, and I have nothing negative to say about it, but the Z06 that I ordered from Mike F a few weeks ago is an M7.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:03 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713
pre-2018 you cant do the assigned gauges? (I know you can do the track hockeystick tacometer, but what's special about post 2018?)
You get the same display but without the numbers, so just the bars. I have a 2015 and it's very difficult to look down and easily tell your temps by looking at those bars. I end up using the tour/perf gauge setup for the track because that display shows the numbers.
mammoth713 (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 09:07 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

After over 70 new cars (2 Corvettes) for my wife and I over 50 years, the manual transmission in all those cars were generally what we expected, advantages/disadvantages, for our DD’s. Now, convenience and ease of driving has tipped OUR scale to the auto side for the last 10 years. But I do miss a manual trans in my ‘14 C7 at times and will even consider one in my last Corvette, hopefully a C8. If a manual C8 is up against one with a DCT, then the decision on which will be even tougher.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:29 AM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If I'm going to spend the money they're asking for, I only want it in Manual, because that's where the fun and engagement is. I don't care for computer shift for me. I know how and when to shift after 45 years of manual driving.

I rather drive a four banger WRX/STi with AWD and manual than a Corvette in auto.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:35 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_Rocks
If I'm going to spend the money they're asking for, I only want it in Manual, because that's where the fun and engagement is. I don't care for computer shift for me. I know how and when to shift after 45 years of manual driving.

I rather drive a four banger WRX/STi with AWD and manual than a Corvette in auto.
This is the beauty of DCT, you can tell it to shift when you want or put it into full auto for when you don't want to be bothered. It is not the same as a manual in that you can't heel toe shift like a hot shoe racer, but it will rip shifts faster than you can blink.

I am beginning to feel like my love for manuals is a nostalgia thing, and as such I feel like I will need to own some "older" cars to get my manual fix from time to time, been looking at 1994 RX-7s for that particular need though. I feel like DCT is the best way for GM to go from this point forward for the Corvette, simply because its a better transmission than both the manual and auto options. It's perfectly understandable for people to want a manual option, but in the grand scheme of things it really makes very little financial sense to offer two transmission options since it requires more resources and cost to make that happen which is then punted off onto the consumer. If GM determined that to make the C8 affordable and to make the DCT per unit cost reasonable required it to be sold in every Corvette...then I think it is just a smart move.

GM is trying to compete with cars that have DCTs, the perception that DCTs make a better high performance car, and a stigma of making an "old man's sports touring car" instead of a world class sports car. Catering to the aging market alienates the younger buyers which have to be made interested in the car for future generations to sell.
The following 4 users liked this post by Supermassive:
ArmchairArchitect (03-25-2019), jefnvk (03-24-2019), lund pro v (03-31-2019), Rapid Fred (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 10:40 AM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
This is the beauty of DCT...
I have driven Auto Corvette, DCT BMW and Lambo. It's not for me. I want that manual hydraulic clutch and control the RPM and sound of the engine. To me that's driving and not just pressing on the gas pedal and go fast.

Get notified of new replies

To Is Chevy making a mistake with auto-only C8 ?

Old 03-24-2019, 11:13 AM
torquenstein
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
If the C8 has no manual, I don't know where I go next. There's no reason I couldn't just keep my C7 for another 20 years I guess.

If the C8 is going to be nothing more than a cheap Ferrari (that also don't have manual transmissions anymore), why wouldn't I just buy a Ferrari?

very true, you'd be much, much better off with the Ferrari. for what we intend to do to the new corvette probably wouldn't be good for resale of the Ferrari. im very interested in the front lift system to compensate for an additional fuel cell. If the front end lift can be modulated to lower as the fuel empties, this would be great. gonna hack the car immediately when we can get into the garage.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:16 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Gotta have a stick-shift in your C8?
No problem! Stick one of these to your center console.

Why not.. 2020 Porsche got an electric razor..
Old 03-24-2019, 01:38 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Well, after being in and out of a DCT on a performance car for the last week, I've gotta say I'm liking it. True manual for when I want it, auto for when I'm parked on a highway, is a really nice option to have. About the only thing I can't do with it that I can in a traditional manual is start from anything but first or second gear. It is not a flappy paddle auto, it is not a traditional manual, it is its own thing. For those who have never driven a DCT, I would suggest it before casting it aside. For those who can't live without their left leg moving, nothing will probably convince you otherwise (except not being able to buy them anymore) but for everyone else it is something you have to drive to fully understand. Oh, and no more worries about my midget feet not being able to heel-and-toe in most cars without wearing boots

Originally Posted by Z_Rocks
I have driven Auto Corvette, DCT BMW and Lambo. It's not for me. I want that manual hydraulic clutch and control the RPM and sound of the engine. To me that's driving and not just pressing on the gas pedal and go fast.
I understand the personal preference angle, but I still don't see that being enough in the long run to save them.

Quick Reply: Is Chevy making a mistake with auto-only C8 ?