Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-Engine Corvette: Everything We Know

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 02:36 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Here are the Facts!!!

The car will have the following

steering wheel (nut behind the wheel is optional )
horn
front and rear bumpers
2 head lights (mounted on the front of the car)
2 tail lights (may have more than 2, all will be mounted on the rear of the car)
turn signals (front and rear)
front windshield (windshield will be clear)
windshield wiper (may even have 2)
2 doors ( 1 on each side on the car)
2 seats ( mounted on the inside of the car)
side mirrors, one on each door
rear view mirror (mounted so that driver will be able to see the blue lights flashing behind him)
an engine ( will have more than 2 cylinders)
4 wheels with tires (all 4 will be round)
gas pedal (mounted to the right of the brake pedal)
brake pedal (mounted to the left of the gas pedal) (drivers side only, none will be mounted on passenger side)
parking brake (to be used only in parking lots)
2 seat belts (safety is #1 priority)
a radio (not saying it will sound good)
2 radio speakers (may have more, again no saying they will sound good)
key fob (this will be needed to unlocked the door and hopefully start the car)
2 holes in rear bumper to mount license plate
tag light
car will leave the factory with painted body panels (factory orange peel will be standard)
buttons and or ***** to operate above items. (see owners manual to see exactly what they do)
The following users liked this post:
MagRedConv (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:24 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

GM may have a lemon on their hands. Electrical issues, and now, frame twisting issues. They're buying time in stalling by leaking these issues. Either that, or 2020 was the planned announcement and release year to produce it in the firstplace.....

Old 03-19-2019, 10:02 AM
GrandSport 2017
Pro

Received 996 Likes on 301 Posts

Well what ever the car is going to be or be called its going to be built on a separate line in the BG plant. They wouldn't have added that many SF to just keep one production line.

So the second line was setup to either increase production (not likely, not needed) or its going to produce something different enough to warrant a new production line. Otherwise they would have just switched over the current line to produce the new car.

There not going to produce a car on the second line that directly competes with the first line. So its either a lower cost car (not likely), or a higher cost car (more likely). In any case both lines will run at the same time.

It could be a completely new production model and not even a new "Corvette". Production of Corvettes and "Zoras" could be simultaneous on separate lines (very likely). Or BG could be producing a new car for GM/Cadillac on the line (less likely, but plausible)

If BG is going to produce the Corvette and "Zora" simultaneously they must have a new market they are going to try and capture. The Chevrolet Corvette never competed well against the high dollar European cars regardless of equal or better performance or a lower price point. Chevrolet is solidly American, and world markets could not care any less about a car being a Chevy or Corvette brand, meaning that its more detrimental than positive. Ferrari or Porsche, etc. buyers are not likely to buy a "Chevy". If you are trying to impress your "friends" at the local "club" somewhere in Europe you don't pull up in a Chevy. Its a brand issue. The "Zora" could be aimed at this market and Cadillac would be a better brand to penetrate this market sector that Chevrolet. Or it could be a new GM car that is not either its just a GM "Zora" built in Bowling Green Kentucky. Then in 2021 if all goes well they slap Stingray on it and drop in the 500 hp LT2 engine.

Or the C8 is going to have two variants that are so different in price and drive train that a separate line was needed for production. I think this is the predominate opinion of this forum for at least right now.
If they run two parallel lines then production could continue on one line while they try out all the new drive line gadgetry each new model year on the other line. A Tick-Tock approach (think Intel). The European regulations are much different than here and they are going to be even more different in the near future. This would allow Global versions to be produced at the same time. This would increase worldwide sales by penetrating a higher end of the performance car market and justify the large increase in the BG plant size and plant capacity.

Last edited by GrandSport 2017; 03-19-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:37 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSport 2017
The Chevrolet Corvette never competed well against the high dollar European cars regardless of equal or better performance or a lower price point. Chevrolet is solidly American, and world markets could not care any less about a car being a Chevy or Corvette brand, meaning that its more detrimental than positive. Ferrari or Porsche, etc. buyers are not likely to buy a "Chevy". If you are trying to impress your "friends" at the local "club" somewhere in Europe you don't pull up in a Chevy. Its a brand issue.
Actually, Corvettes are a big deal at car show events in Europe. Harleys are too. A lot of it comes down to rarity, since just more of the same-ol' same-ol' gets boring.

But I agree with everything else you said in that post.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:56 AM
torquenstein
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldguychuck
I understand CAFE regs but other manufacturers do not use the cylinder deactivation and deal with CAFE. For such a low volume car, I just do not see the rational for its' use on the Corvette. I understand the use of one engine across many makes and models but for the Vette they could tune out the cylinder deactivation and leave it on other models.
If they do take the manual option out of the C8 then everyone will have to deal with the issues caused by the AFM. Perhaps they will lesson the issues if they do away with the current torque converter but I for one am skeptical..I guess we will see...
they need the VW team to tune it, and it will pass with flying colors.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:05 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
All I know for sure. the next Corvette will be a C8
.....and the way things are going even THIS is suspect. Hahahaha
Old 03-22-2019, 08:40 AM
GrandSport 2017
Pro

So, with the "over my dead body" comment it leaves one to believe that either this guy is not telling the truth (not likely) or GM designed and built yet another 4 valve V8 engine just for the new car (plausible but less likely) or the new car is going to be only powered by a Gen5 LT? V8 for now at least (more likely) or its powered by the Cadillac Blackwing motor (most likely) and that would mean that the car being built on the second line in BG is not a what? ___________ Fill in the blank. You could fill in two correct answers here.

I'm just trying to get you guys to think logically with the evidence we have so far.

Now we could split hairs here and say that a variant of the Blackwing motor wouldn't be a "Blackwing" motor. But that's a grey area that could make the "over my dead body" comment make him look like a less than truthful politician. Not so sure he would want that label.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:13 AM
GrandSport 2017
Pro

On another note, I'm not so sure that the performance sedan market is waning. I have a feeling that like corvette sales and any performance car sales they go up and down but generally trend downwards until the latest and greatest model comes out again. I guess that can be true of any model of anything really but performance cars seem to be more susceptible to it.

I personally am not ruling out an entirely new car from GM that is in the $95,000 starting price range but will more often than not, be more like $125,000+. Caddy, Zora whatever. Zora ends in a vowel so the name works well world wide.
At that price point I think it would be produced in much higher numbers than the Ford GT, or other exotics from Europe, and GM could make a profit on it. A true mass produced (8,000 units to start) exotic super car that many can actually afford.
I don't think that would hurt Corvette sales or CT6-V sales.

I'm just thinking out loud here.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:45 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Monkey D. Luffy
Here are the Facts!!!

The car will have the following

steering wheel (nut behind the wheel is optional )
horn
front and rear bumpers
2 head lights (mounted on the front of the car)
2 tail lights (may have more than 2, all will be mounted on the rear of the car)
turn signals (front and rear)
front windshield (windshield will be clear)
windshield wiper (may even have 2)
2 doors ( 1 on each side on the car)
2 seats ( mounted on the inside of the car)
side mirrors, one on each door
rear view mirror (mounted so that driver will be able to see the blue lights flashing behind him)
an engine ( will have more than 2 cylinders)
4 wheels with tires (all 4 will be round)
gas pedal (mounted to the right of the brake pedal)
brake pedal (mounted to the left of the gas pedal) (drivers side only, none will be mounted on passenger side)
parking brake (to be used only in parking lots)
2 seat belts (safety is #1 priority)
a radio (not saying it will sound good)
2 radio speakers (may have more, again no saying they will sound good)
key fob (this will be needed to unlocked the door and hopefully start the car)
2 holes in rear bumper to mount license plate
tag light
car will leave the factory with painted body panels (factory orange peel will be standard)
buttons and or ***** to operate above items. (see owners manual to see exactly what they do)
Exactly!
Old 03-22-2019, 03:17 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

There's already a lock down in affect. You're not find out either. Get it?

Quick Reply: Mid-Engine Corvette: Everything We Know