Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If C8 is Auto...What will you do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 10:27 AM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by isellpower
You pull both paddles and it puts it in neutral.
Yeah, but how do you do that while taking selfies to post on instagram while you're driving?

If the C8 only comes with an automatic transmission, it seems it targets two demographics...millennials who want their cars to be household appliances so they can focus on social media efforts, and those who are older and have physical limitations using their leg. It leaves out those who are ambulatory, and who truly enjoy machines...even if we are Luddites.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:06 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
If the C8 only comes with an automatic transmission, it seems it targets two demographics...millennials who want their cars to be household appliances so they can focus on social media efforts, and those who are older and have physical limitations using their leg. It leaves out those who are ambulatory, and who truly enjoy machines...
Or: GM did some projections based on today's and yesterday's take rates of the manuals, and can see the general decline of them. Their projections likely came to the same conclusion as other auto makers' have: the manual take rate will continue to decline in the coming years to the point of being less than 10%, even if they aren't that low right now. So, to remain economically feasible, they decided to throw all their chips into a single, high-cost (to engineer) DCT vs splitting their R&D between two transmissions. That R&D includes the required FE/emissions testing on both; remember that when there is more than one engine choice in the future, to double the FE/emissions testing if we have two transmissions.

Imagine GM delivers two transmissions in the car, and in a couple of years the take rate of manuals does drop below 10%. Then what? They've wasted the money on the R&D for that transmission. Guess who gets to pay for that? We do.

I don't like it. In fact, I think it sucks. I want three pedals and a stick shift even if its a few milliseconds slower around the track; manuals are just way too much FUN! But, it's difficult to argue with the numbers.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:07 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
There are several threads in the C8 section on this topic, were it has already been beaten to death. You might want to visit there.
..... or start a new thread asking "If the C8 is manual, what will you do?" Hahaha.
The following users liked this post:
GM5778 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 12:17 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by GM5778
I would seriously be put off by the auto. We're losing more and more driving involvement in all new cars and I am not about that. I don't want a Vette for keyboard racing where hundreds of seconds around a track I'll never go to are argued. I want a Vette (or any sports car) for the experience, it's all about the thrill of being connected to the car and having your inputs actually result in the outcome. Today any kid can drive an auto sports car at 8 10ths with little practice. New cars are basically video games at this point. I'll probably stick with my C4 and have fun with it. Would probably add a C6 Z too. But that will be the only ones for me.
I understand your view point on the subject. But I must say that I taught my two grand kids to drive their dads manual Z06 in about 20 minutes. Not rocket science.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:26 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
I understand your view point on the subject. But I must say that I taught my two grand kids to drive their dads manual Z06 in about 20 minutes. Not rocket science.
Agree. My kids & grand-kids all learned how to drive on stick shift cars. Was a time MT were 99% of the cars on the road. You drove MT or rode the bus.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:39 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Yeah, but how do you do that while taking selfies to post on instagram while you're driving?

If the C8 only comes with an automatic transmission, it seems it targets two demographics...millennials who want their cars to be household appliances so they can focus on social media efforts, and those who are older and have physical limitations using their leg. It leaves out those who are ambulatory, and who truly enjoy machines...even if we are Luddites.
I don't fall into either of the demographics you defined. So which demo am I? The demographic who has driven a GOOD DCT and understands the advantages of a DCT, and is a senior, and doesn't need 3 peddles to still feel connected to the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by ByByBMW:
Jackie Chiles (03-23-2019), jefnvk (03-24-2019), Rapid Fred (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 01:04 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected Yeah, but how do you do that while taking selfies to post on instagram while you're driving?

Think its real hard & wrong to try to pigeon hole the entire potential C8 universe into a pair of buckets. A lot of us just like cars & enjoy all flavors. Have no trouble being an old fart that happily mixes DCT's, MT's, AT, turbo & N/A 6 & 8 cylinder engines in regular cars, sports cars, Hot Rods & trucks.

If Chevy wants to sell the C8 in volume they need to cast as wide a net as is viable for a profitable car. To make it profitable something we might like will be lost in the trade offs. MT might be one of those things but hopefully the rest of the package will make up for it.

Then there is outside of sitting it out or buying an old car where are you going to go if you don't get 100% of what you want?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-22-2019 at 01:10 PM.
joemessman (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 02:52 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
If the C8 comes out in automatic only, what will you do....
I’ll put the car on drive and hit the gas.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:09 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

Then there is outside of sitting it out or buying an old car where are you going to go if you don't get 100% of what you want?
My DD C7 has 18k miles in three years. I can wait a long time...probably long enough that I'm old enough I have physical limitations that force me to drive an automatic. I can also look at other manufacturer offerings. The truth is I have no need for a new car for a very, very long time, and if the C8 doesn't have a manual available, there will be no reason for me to look at any GM car to replace my C7.

None of can safely and legally use 100% of the performance even the base C7 offers on the street. I don't see a reason to rush to a shiny new object that provides more performance that can't be used, in exchange for having to give up the enjoyment of having 100% control over what the transmission is doing. At that point, I might as well just buy an electric vehicle.

Automatic-only Corvettes are a punch in the gut to driving enthusiasts. I realize people buy Corvettes for different reasons, and we're not all enthusiasts in the same way.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:26 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

My DD C7 has 18k miles in three years. I can wait a long time...probably long enough that I'm old enough I have physical limitations that force me to drive an automatic. I can also look at other manufacturer offerings. The truth is I have no need for a new car for a very, very long time, and if the C8 doesn't have a manual available, there will be no reason for me to look at any GM car to replace my C7.

None of can safely and legally use 100% of the performance even the base C7 offers on the street. I don't see a reason to rush to a shiny new object that provides more performance that can't be used, in exchange for having to give up the enjoyment of having 100% control over what the transmission is doing. At that point, I might as well just buy an electric vehicle.

Automatic-only Corvettes are a punch in the gut to driving enthusiasts. I realize people buy Corvettes for different reasons, and we're not all enthusiasts in the same way.
Not arguing the point just stating the obvious choices. Sat on my DD 1967 Coupe for almost 28 years because nothing GM produced in the Corvette line interested me more. Was hoping for a C8 ME & have owned a quality DCT so a lack of an MT would not be a deal killer for me. Truth be told I lean toward a DCT but not positive what I would do if both are offered.

All ready have a totally direct human to machine interface performance car to drive so it would be easier to let go of some items in a C8 which could be more of a GT then a classic sport car.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-22-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:49 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Yeah...maybe I'm like those C6 guys who didn't want to upgrade because of the rectangular taillights. Both Corvettes I've owned have been manuals...it's tough to imagine driving one with an automatic.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:11 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Automatic-only Corvettes are a punch in the gut to some driving enthusiasts. I realize people buy Corvettes for different reasons, and we're not all enthusiasts in the same way.
I fixed it for you...

Old 03-24-2019, 07:11 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 419 Likes on 290 Posts

Yeah...maybe I'm like those C6 guys who didn't want to upgrade because of the rectangular taillights. Both Corvettes I've owned have been manuals...it's tough to imagine driving one with an automatic.
People complained about ABS brakes too.... LOL, your going to love that auto C8!
jefnvk (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:06 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

This automatic dual clutch dct in the c8 is what is being offered.

just as people swore in past reveals all those who say they will never buy the next generation corvette because of xyz always come around.

this too shall pass for many and they will when the time comes buy a c8.

jmo
V Vette (03-25-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:07 PM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

Do they pay you to start the comical auto vs manual, just to drive up posting traffic? You can not be that bored.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:07 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

What will I do?

Drive it baby!

; )
Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
just as people swore in past reveals all those who say they will never buy the next generation corvette because of xyz always come around.

jmo
A pretty presumptuous opinion as well...

I’m living proof that the styling of the C7 (yes, including the tail light design) absolutely prevented me from ever wanting to upgrade, and sadly, if you go back to posts from 2013, you will see that I was one of the most anxious people around here for the C7 launch (even putting together a mid-rear engine mock up at one point way back then, hoping for a potential mid-engine C7).

I can tell you now, the lack of a proper manual - one that allows me, the operator, to control clutch plate pressure, real-time as I drive, which is looking probable at this point, will definitely exclude me from the C8 as well.... I will not be “coming around”...

But, I also know that I am but one person, so I am just one of those folks who GM is obviously not targeting as a customer anymore, so be it.
GM5778 (03-27-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To If C8 is Auto...What will you do?

Old 03-24-2019, 09:36 PM
Anything u like
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

If it’s an automatic I’ll probablypass. But I’m all in if it’s a DCT. There’s a difference.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:43 PM
qwikgs
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’d buy it. Dual clutch transmissios are great to drive.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:54 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

I’ll finally get my left knee replaced. LOL

Quick Reply: If C8 is Auto...What will you do?