Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cost beauty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 01:13 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Regarding the P80, it is important to note the it is a purpose-built Track Car and is NOT suitable for the street.

Originally Posted by oregonsharkman
I've often asked that same question. There are certain aspects of "exotic" looks that definitely cost more money such as show quality paint jobs, $10,000 wheels and carbon fiber, but in theory there is no reason why a manufacturer couldn't build something that looks basically like a P80 for much much less.

That being said, it wouldn't be of the quality or performance of a P80 at a fraction of the price, it would just kind of look like a crappy version of it.
Truth.

However, paint on Exotics is often not any better than on a Malibu.
Rick at Ultimate Auto Detail here in Salem tells me he often finds crappy paint on Exotics in his shop.
http://rawultimateautodetail.com/
He sees orange peel and other issues on Ferraris, etc. and often has to do wet sanding and color correction.
He is one of the best in the state and has been in the business for 30 years and taken care of my vehicles for > 2 decades.

Originally Posted by IronV
There is no correlation between cost and design aesthetics.

None.

Zero.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:20 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Remember the old adage, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me most of the exotic designers are a hodgepodge of different design elements and are not unified. An exotic may emphasize aerodynamics at 180 mph. That does not matter to me. I do not track the car so I will never be driving it that fast. For me the aerodynamics at 80 mph is what matters.

Just give me me a nice looking smooth design that functions at driving speeds, not race speeds (the C8R can have the race design option), and one that has doors that you can get in and out of, plus can carry a couple of pieces of luggage (no need for golf bags) and I will be happy.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:04 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,377 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by tslick98
The subject of cost for the upcoming C8 has been one of much debate here and one i have steered clear of. I'm sure i'm in the minority on my opinion.
I wish once, just once, GM would pull out all the stops and build a world class supercar without the "bang for the buck" moniker attached to it. Let the cost fall where it may and if it's more than i can pay, so be it. Just because i can't afford it, does that mean it shouldn't be built?
Again, just my opinion.
I appreciate the thought. However GM is in business to make a profit. Ferrari can sell a $1 million car because they are Ferrari. GM does not have the same reputation. Could they do the same as Ford with the GT? Maybe, In part it was a success due to the GT40 race car as a retro model. Ford did not really manufacturer either Ford GT, it was mostly outsourced.

Dodge could not sustain the Viper as it was outside the price range people were comfortable with paying for a Dodge.

I think the new Corvette will be world class as it relates to the things that are important to me. I do not care if the leather in the seats comes from cows that only ate Irish clover ad were massaged daily by Japanese Geishas. I want a car that performs, on the street and sometimes on the track, and looks good.
The following 3 users liked this post by Racer X:
Foosh (03-26-2019), jefnvk (03-26-2019), TNBUSA (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 02:23 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

As they say, beauty is only skin deep... but UGLY goes all the way to the bone.

Seriously, great design is often also very cost effective... many of the most iconic Mid-century modern furniture designs were originally intended to minimize production costs.

That said, design is totally subjective... I think every Lambo after the Miura is hideous, I have too much pride to even be seen farting in one, regardless of cost... but others willingly pay house money to own one... go figure.

I actually think the Ford Maverick is a very good design (ok, throw eggs... I can take it)... and this is a car who's only redeeming feature was a $1,999 sticker price.

Fiberglass is remarkably easy to shape... if the car turns out ugly, its not because of cost.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:31 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Aero, styling etc.

Originally Posted by jefnvk
If you are asking if it costs any more to produce it, no, not really. Maybe slight differences from a more complex mold, but nothing significant.

If you are asking if it can cost more to design, then yes, absolutely. Especially so if what we consider beauty is actually aero that took hundreds or thousands of hours in a wind tunnel to develop.
Not true. Highly aerodynamic and aero efficient cars can be extraordinarily ugly. It costs no more to make a beautiful design.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:46 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by tslick98
The subject of cost for the upcoming C8 has been one of much debate here and one i have steered clear of. I'm sure i'm in the minority on my opinion.
I wish once, just once, GM would pull out all the stops and build a world class supercar without the "bang for the buck" moniker attached to it. Let the cost fall where it may and if it's more than i can pay, so be it. Just because i can't afford it, does that mean it shouldn't be built?
Again, just my opinion.
You're suggesting GM do a design and engineering demonstration, and hand build a few copies of a "supercar" like Ford has done with the GT. That's a decision that is made with no expectation of making a profit and purely a marketing exercise. It's fairly common knowledge that is what Ford has done with the GT, and they've spent far more on that project than they will ever get back from the handful of sales. Moreover, they have no long-term intention of continuing GT production.

Doing what you suggest would essentially signal the end of Corvette as an actual street driver. Cars in that price bracket will never sell more than about 2K annually in the US, which is about what current ZR1 sales have been.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-26-2019 at 03:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jefnvk (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 07:51 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Foosh
Cars in that price bracket will never sell more than about 2K annually in the US, which is about what current ZR1 sales have been.
I wonder how many were exported?
It's interesting how much and how long internet hype was around the car.
At times, it seemed like every member of this forum was going to run out and buy one....
Old 03-26-2019, 07:53 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Lacquer
Wow, looks exactly like a Ford GT.
Said no one, ever...
Old 03-26-2019, 07:55 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

GM could build a stunning C8... like the new Ferrari F8 Tributo or other exotics. They won't... not because of cost... but because people will whine about lack of storage for cross country road trips and golf clubs. That is the design compromise of the C8 relative to being a mass produced and mass selling vehicle. You have to design it as a compromise.

As long as it is beautiful enough...
jefnvk (03-27-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 10:44 PM
gymdoc
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Bet it won't hold even one golf bag.....

Not sure how people here track their exotic cars with the golf bag in it, but if you need it to lug around a golf bag, then its definitely NOT the right car for you!
Old 03-26-2019, 11:08 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
GM could build a stunning C8... like the new Ferrari F8 Tributo or other exotics. They won't... not because of cost... but because people will whine about lack of storage for cross country road trips and golf clubs. That is the design compromise of the C8 relative to being a mass produced and mass selling vehicle. You have to design it as a compromise.

You also have to design it for how it will be used. I have always used mine as a road car, a car to travel in, make road trips, as a GT car. Never had it on a track. Chevy has to come up with a compromise between those that track their car, those that use it as a GT, those that only drive on weekends to car shows/cruise-ins, and the daily drivers. Quite a balancing act. How many Ferrari’s are daily drivers? Don’t think that is something that Ferrari has to worry about when designing their cars.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:13 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default The Golf Bag Imperative

I've heard about this golf bag nonsense for years but never seen any statistical evidence to back it up. I participated in a GM Corvette focus group around C5 time and while we peppered with lots of questions, the golf bag and storage capacity thing was only addressed very generally. The language referred to (as I recall) groceries and weekend getaways.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:17 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

They won't... not because of cost... but because people will whine about lack of storage for cross country road trips and golf clubs. ...
Truth.

Originally Posted by gymdoc
Not sure how people here track their exotic cars with the golf bag in it, but if you need it to lug around a golf bag, then its definitely NOT the right car for you!

I've heard about this golf bag nonsense for years but never seen any statistical evidence to back it up..
There are guys around here who SWEAR TO GOD they take their Vettes to the range all the time.
If they truly do and are not trolling, it's the stupidest use of a Corvette I can think of.
IronV (04-01-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 01:45 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

See all those sharp creases and dangly bits all over the car, yeah those cost extra. In order to make those beautiful creases that look sharp enough to cut with, you need vacuum formed and auto claved carbon fiber. It is the only way to get those. Fiberglass and resin could technically do the same, but would require a similar process which is not cheap amd has to be hand laid. Sheet molded composite, or the "plastic" in our Vettes, simply doesnt do too well with extreme creases as it becomes a weak point in the body and could crack easily. Of course carbon fiber can also crack easily too, but the expectation of Ferrari when it comes to their designs is that their cars are not daily driven...and most never see the pavement of a racetrack, so sacrifices in durability are made for a higher aesthetic.

So yes they could make the Corvette just as sexy as a one off Ferrari, but it then becomes even less practical than the car it is imitating. So GM has to make an attractive car, that is also useable, which rules out the crazy designs seen in Ferraris. Some people will say that, that is what they want...but I am not one of them...I like to use my toys daily, and that has been the biggest draw for me towards Corvette.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:58 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem

There are guys around here who SWEAR TO GOD they take their Vettes to the range all the time.
If they truly do and are not trolling, it's the stupidest use of a Corvette I can think of.
What excuse do you use to drive yours?
Old 03-27-2019, 08:27 AM
MsEllie
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp911s

I actually think the Ford Maverick is a very good design (ok, throw eggs... I can take it)... and this is a car who's only redeeming feature was a $1,999 sticker price.

I loved the Maverick. What a good looking car.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:54 AM
638HP
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts

Check out this super cool video narrated by the Ferrari design team. WOW a one off customer track car... wish I was that customer

https://blog.dupontregistry.com/vide...e269d3-7075041

Get notified of new replies

To What cost beauty?

Old 03-27-2019, 09:15 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by gymdoc
If we want to get into that logic, I'd venture a guess far more Corvettes have had golf clubs in them than have been on a track.

I've heard about this golf bag nonsense for years but never seen any statistical evidence to back it up. I participated in a GM Corvette focus group around C5 time and while we peppered with lots of questions, the golf bag and storage capacity thing was only addressed very generally. The language referred to (as I recall) groceries and weekend getaways.
Again, the "two golf bags" thing serves two purposes: for those that golf, allows them the knowledge that their equipment will fit, and for everyone else, gives a quick good way to visualize exactly how much contiguous space is available in the car. I guess they could likewise label it in "sacks of groceries", but then people would just whine about how silly it is that people drive their high performance sports cars to the grocery store.
Warp Factor (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 12:44 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,377 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Truth.

When I had Corvettes as an only car, yes, I took them to the range and course with a walking bag of clubs. I also to it to the grocery store, hardware store, the mall, restaurants, everywhere. I did the same thing with a Fiero, and a Firebird, a Lotus Elise, and a Camaro. That's what a daily driver is. I also took most of those same cars to the track. Not everyone has multiple cars.

Hauling drywall is a stupider use of a Corvette. You don't have much of an imagination. I can think of a lot more.
The following 3 users liked this post by Racer X:
jefnvk (03-27-2019), Mr. Peabody (03-27-2019), Rapid Fred (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 01:18 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by MsEllie
I loved the Maverick. What a good looking car.
Ford Mav love on a Corvette forum... Sheesh!... we'll probably be suspended for 6 mos. ...

Like old joke...

"How many strippers does it take to screw in a lightbulb...?"

"The answer is one, but I like the way you think"

Quick Reply: What cost beauty?