Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicing mid engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 04:28 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

On a serious note - I do hope they don't put the oil filter on top of the engine. I'd really like to avoid having to clean up a mess when I change my oil.
The following 2 users liked this post by OnPoint:
DickieDoo (04-20-2019), vndkshn (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 04:34 PM
1985 Vette
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 53 Posts

3/36 BTB and 5/60 Powertrain Warranty is not much to me. I keep my vehicles much longer than 5 years, so maintainability is very high on my list of considerations. If you trade up every 5 or so years, they yes; who cares?............. Nice C7 BTW.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:37 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

You will not be doing a lot of work from the top down, so if you plan on working on it, consider a lift.

Last edited by heavymetals; 04-15-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:14 PM
MagRedConv
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
I spoke with a Corvette tech who's been to a few C8 training sessions and he says that since a few drain plugs are located behind a frame member you'll need to drop the engine just to change the oil.

Even new brake pads will require magnetic damper removal so they can be properly recalibrated to the new stopping force.

Unless you can afford about $12,000 of maintenance for every 15,000 miles then don't even think about buying a C8.
Please elaborate on the training sessions your tech attended. You know, like where they were, what EXACTLY was discussed/covered, what the qualifications were to be selected to attend, who came up with the $12k /15k mile maintenance figure, things like that.

TIA

Last edited by MagRedConv; 04-15-2019 at 05:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MagRedConv:
Cautrell05 (04-19-2019), ZERRY 316 (04-19-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 05:15 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,166 Likes on 5,990 Posts

Originally Posted by magredconv
please elaborate on the training sessions your tech attended. You know, like where they were, what exactly was discussed/covered, what the qualifications were to be selected to attend, who came up with the $12k /15k mile maintenance figure, things like that.

Tia
he was joking people!
Old 04-15-2019, 05:42 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,130 Likes on 733 Posts

I have worked on mid engine , - rear engine - front engine cars.
There is no rhyme or reason why some are nearly impossible to work on, others are really a pleasure.

It all depends on the access that the designers supply to the normal replacement parts.

Based on todays thinking the steering will be electric assist, the water pump most likely electric. There has been talk of all electric HVAC . If these things are true and used, access will be better than most cars with front wheel drive.

Time will tell …
The following 2 users liked this post by BLUE1972:
RapidC84B (04-16-2019), Zaro Tundov (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 05:49 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

GM is smart and they have designed the C8 so it will be very serviceable.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:00 PM
blk05coupe
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by elegant
sometimes function wins over design and serviceability, packaging space will be key. Not sure how you could change the DCT without removing or at least unbolting and moving the engine.
Lets hope servicing is somewhat easy, lord knows the guys at the stealership will need it.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:04 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

New tools, some extensions and service manuals. May have more than one oil drain plug to get the job done. A friend said his service tech told him his Huracan has 8 drain plugs and several panels need to be removed to do an oil change, I'm betting GM will do better than that! lol

PC

Last edited by Darion; 04-15-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:32 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I just find it hard to believe that they're still using plutonium for the flux capacitor. It's not 1985 anymore. Maybe the guy who compared C8 to the Fiero was right...
Old 04-15-2019, 06:40 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Darion
New tools, some extensions and service manuals. May have more than one oil drain plug to get the job done. A fiend said his service tech told him his Huracan has 8 drain plugs and several panels need to be removed to do an oil change, I'm betting GM will do better than that! lol

PC
My NSX has 9 drain plugs.

Quote for an oil change was $350.

Oil is made from unicorn ****.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:55 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
My thought as well.

Hey folks, Corvettes ACTUALLY DO come with warranties.
No reason for an owner to give a rat's a$$ for years....
"Warranty" =/= "maintenance".

Any owner who wants to keep his/her car for more than a year or two (and still have a warranty if something goes wrong) is going to have to maintain it. Some will do that via the local dealer and the question becomes "how much is that oil change going to cost me and does the car being ME make it more difficult/expensive" and some will do it at home themselves where it really is more "how big of a PITA is it going to be?"

For me, glad I'm putting a lift in my shop.

What I'm more curious about with this car, are they going to mandate some of the more exotic oils like Castrol Supercar (what used to be called Castrol TWS). That stuff has doubled in price since BMW mandated it for M cars (I guesss McLaren/Lambo/Koenigsegg/etc doing the same will have that effect).
Old 04-15-2019, 08:21 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
I just find it hard to believe that they're still using plutonium for the flux capacitor. It's not 1985 anymore....
Originally Posted by heavymetals

Originally Posted by 1985 Vette
3/36 BTB and 5/60 Powertrain Warranty is not much to me. I keep my vehicles much longer than 5 years, so maintainability is very high on my list of considerations. If you trade up every 5 or so years, they yes; who cares?............. Nice C7 BTW.
FWIW, in my garage, once the warranty is gone, the car is gone.

Originally Posted by elegant
I believe you're right about that...they wouldn't make such a mistake IMO.

Originally Posted by blk05coupe
Not sure how you could change the DCT without removing or at least unbolting and moving the engine.
Why would anyone change their DCT?
How often do transmissions need to be changed these days?
It isn't the 1960s anymore.

Originally Posted by vndkshn
"Warranty" =/= "maintenance".

Any owner who wants to keep his/her car for more than a year or two (and still have a warranty if something goes wrong) is going to have to maintain it. Some will do that via the local dealer and the question becomes "how much is that oil change going to cost me and does the car being ME make it more difficult/expensive"
I doubt many buyers will be interrogating Service Managers before they sign.
Life's Biggest Lesson: If ya wanna play, ya gotta pay.
some will do it at home themselves where it really is more "how big of a PITA is it going to be?"
That's why God invented Service Depts.

What I'm more curious about with this car, are they going to mandate some of the more exotic oils like Castrol Supercar (what used to be called Castrol TWS). That stuff has doubled in price since BMW mandated it for M cars (I guesss McLaren/Lambo/Koenigsegg/etc doing the same will have that effect).
GM won't...it's a Chevy.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:51 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

I doubt many buyers will be interrogating Service Managers before they sign.
Life's Biggest Lesson: If ya wanna play, ya gotta pay.
That really wasn't the point.
That's why God invented Service Depts.
Ironically, I've had more problems with my Chevys AFTER the service department worked on the vehicle. So I avoid them like the plague.
The following users liked this post:
WKM (04-17-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 09:20 PM
cdsymphony
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

My personal opinion is GM isn't going to attempt to sell us a Corvette that is too hard to complete basic maintenance tasks. Word would get around quick that the new C8 is going to be too much to handle for most home repair mechanics like myself.

In regards to the oil drain joke... I think they would at least put a dipstick to siphon the oil out at the minimum.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by vndkshn
That really wasn't the point.

Ironically, I've had more problems with my Chevys AFTER the service department worked on the vehicle. So I avoid them like the plague.
.. but its not exclusive to GM or Chevy.. how would feel if you needed two doors painted on your new Cayenne after its first oil change at a big Las Vegas Porsche dealership because a tech opened the driver door with a screwdriver in his hand and put a 3 inch scratch right to metal... a year later a Wis Porsche dealer scraped a pole with the front bumper... you can find idiots at almost any dealership. Once I find guys I have confidence in, I’ll go out of my way to use them. No more do I just assume just because they have a factory authorized service sign out front that its safe to enter. And always do a walk around before and after..

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 04-15-2019 at 09:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rinaldo Catria:
Che70velle (04-15-2019), need-for-speed (04-19-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 10:35 PM
70RT440
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetals
My NSX has 9 drain plugs.

Quote for an oil change was $350.

The 2006 Cayenne S oil change costs 300 bucks and it only has 2 plugs.

Dry sump lubrication usually adds $$ to an oil change.

Get notified of new replies

To Servicing mid engine

Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 AM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by GOC
Yes, Old Buckeye asked a legitimate question. Unfortunately some always immediately take it as a knock on the C8 or technological advancement when someone asks/says anything that could possibly raise negative aspects about the C8 and it's mid engine platform.

Look, I'm very excited about the C8's arrival, but I'm also concerned and interested about the maintenance difficulty and its related costs, among other things. It doesn't have to be one or the other when it comes to supporting the C8 and having some concerns.
I agree... this forum is hyper-sensitive to any Corvette criticism. I love the car. I've owned two of them. I'll probably buy a C8 (if they make it in a manual). That doesn't mean we can't discuss pros and cons.

Look, the fact is GM service can't even change the oil properly in my C7 and it shares what is essentially the same basic engine design with a number of other Chevy models. If you don't have ANY concerns about service competency/cost of a dramatically different mid-engine design than you've been lucky enough to not have to deal with Chevy service or rich enough not to care.
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 01:01 AM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Took a test drive wilth a local Vette tech a couple of months ago (the service dept said he just returned from a training session). I asked him if the new Vette would reguire a lot of extra training. His response was: "Not really, just in a tighter package".

Last edited by millpond; 04-16-2019 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:52 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Old buckeye
Because I have seen mechanics that appear to be challenged working on a C7 at GM dealerships. Why shouldn't I ask?

Steven Beaver - So its so simple?
yes, it will be, As with modern c5 - c7 vettes, lots of service involves dropping the front or rear cradles,.

so let's take a tranny service, you likely drop a cradle. Not necessarily more expensive, but like the "exotics" many people fear working on these cars

take for example the C4 ZR-1 for example, due to the DOHC engine, many ham fisted mechanics shyed away from working on them. For example, a HG change required the engine to be pulled

so yes, working on a TT DOHC packed to the gills c8 will likely be more expensive than the current pushrod based corvettes

for a few simple reasons, the rear engine "packaging" can involve tigher access to service things like the water pump, belts, alt, ect..... it's crammed up against the rear firewall and can be tight depending on layout

take a look at some of the cad drawings and ask yourself, will this be easier to work on than a c7? NO, it won't be. But folks always fear what they can't see.

At the end of the day it's a corvette and GM mechanics will be trained to work on it in droves.

once the "newness" wears off and the ink on the service manual is dry and I can read it, I'll let you know. I for sure will be fixing it.

Last edited by Rkreigh; 04-16-2019 at 05:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Servicing mid engine