Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicing mid engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 11:33 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomTask
It does NOT take 7 hours to change the belts. It takes 7 hours to change the TIMING belt on a 360. Try changing the timing chain on your C7 in an hour and a "couple of beers"

And as stated before, many of you are forgetting how much of a PITA it was to do a clutch job on a C5/6/7. I'd much rather drop the rear cradle for a major service than to have to split the entire car.
So it takes 7 hours to change the belts, which are a service item on the 360 (3 years, 30k miles). It's not a Timing belt, it's timing beltS. Changing the belts themselves is the easy part, getting to them is a nightmare. The general procedure involves removing the seats first, then the rear carpet and the access panel that is behind the seats. So you get to work on the engine from inside the car so you have to be extra careful to be super clean.

I don't have to change the timing chain on my Vette because it's a chain, and it is obviously harder to service because it really isn't meant to be.

If you want to compare changing the serpentine belt that would be fine too. On a ferrari at a minimum a lift is required, you have to do it half blind from underneath the car, or you get to follow the same setup procedure with removing the seats, etc. above. The actual work isn't the issue... it's the access. You completely missed the point of my original post.

Also, changing a clutch has been an item where a lift is an expected piece of equipment since they started building cars. Sure, some have done it without but reality is that is a job that is simply too large for the average DIY guy and it certainly shouldn't fall into a maintenance item area. One of the vettes I had that I put the most miles on, daily driven, was a 93 6 speed... sold it with 104k miles and didn't touch the clutch and I even tracked it some. If I have to do a major service every 75k+ miles I'm not so stressed about things like that. I'd have to keep the car 20 years to do the job twice.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Old buckeye
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kozmic
Pretty sad when someone asks a very legitimate question and is **** all over for asking it... sad that this area of CF has come to this...
I must say it is a feisty forum but that is ok with me. Enjoyed the comments.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:00 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Or enjoy an increasingly long planned service life? Most components are now being designed with 150k+ life expectancy. Not to mention, standard supplier contracts I've ever dealt with will dictate replacement parts available for 7-10 years after end of production. As for parts availability, I haven't come across anything I can't find for my C4 (yet). Might be more than I want to pay, but if I don't have issues with a 27 year old car, I'm not too worried about a 15 year old one.
Perhaps GM is doing a better job than most with the Corvette.
Forget about getting parts for older Mustangs.
My dealer told me Ford just doesn't make many or have much of an inventory.
I dumped my beautiful and tricked out 96 Mustang Cobra because I couldn't get parts for the thing anymore.

Cars just aren't that delicate of a thing, especially ones who live in garages and are pampered with low yearly mileage.
Exactly.
I can remember when it wasn't uncommon for an engine rebuild well before 100k.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:23 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Anyone thinking of buying one, and think they are going to work on it, buy a shop manual when they become available and see what in there you are capable of doing. I'm sure the security protocols are more intense than the C7. I'll wait to order a 2024.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:19 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by kozmic
Pretty sad when someone asks a very legitimate question and is **** all over for asking it... sad that this area of CF has come to this...
I don't think anybody is trying to S**t on Ole Buckeye (unless he's an OSU fan... in which case, have at it!).

Seriously, we are simply speculating with no facts... an exercise similar to running an engine on full throttle with no load... and with predicable results... other then the few posts suggesting the futility of this, most of the posts have been interesting, if not particularly enlightening.

Just killin time until July
Old 04-20-2019, 05:15 PM
Old buckeye
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

[QUOTE=jcp911s;1599261270]I don't think anybody is trying to S**t on Ole Buckeye (unless he's an OSU fan... in which case, have at it!).

If you are from Michigan, I can understand you feeling this way after losing 15 out of the last 17 games.

"Seriously, we are simply speculating with no facts".
I agree - it will be interesting when the facts are released then no one will have nothing to argue about. (Chuckle)

Have a Wonderful Easter

An Old Buckeye Fan.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:51 PM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
I spoke with a Corvette tech who's been to a few C8 training sessions and he says that since a few drain plugs are located behind a frame member you'll need to drop the engine just to change the oil.

Even new brake pads will require magnetic damper removal so they can be properly recalibrated to the new stopping force.

Unless you can afford about $12,000 of maintenance for every 15,000 miles then don't even think about buying a C8.
I doubt Chevy has sent a single line mechanic to any C8 training at this point.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (04-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Servicing mid engine