Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The look of a mid engine car/Corvette, etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 08:11 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

I’m a traditional FE RWD sports car fan growing up loving the design beauty of the Jag E Types and C2 coupes.
But I expect the design of the C8 will become more appealing to my eye as I take in it’s body contours and lines in person.
The less camouflaged C8 that Tadge and Mary drove is already lookin’ very nice!
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 11:26 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

The new C8 will be; "All The Rage." Regardless whether you like it or not, you'll be left behind if you're not in one.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:27 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
It's great you think it looks great. But relative to other mid engine designs (McClarens, Ferraris, etc) it's much thicker, heavier, and far less shapely in proportions. Both the mouth and rear are simply enormous--relatively.
you make a good point, but so far unless someone sees it in person, it's hard to tell what it really looks like.
Pictures are deceiving and only time will tell when it's uncovered.
On the other hand if it looked more like those other Mid Engine cars, some would say it looks too European

Old 04-20-2019, 12:43 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,764 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Originally Posted by FinsterforstFan
I love the look of mid engine cars, just not crazy about what I see in camo, or most of the renders based on the camo. However, I am withholding final judgement until all the camo finally comes off.
To me.the BEST looking ME designs sacrifice the usability for anything other than at most a day trip. Not comfortable to ride in sit in or spend time in.

And that's why they're "Hot" cars.

Any ME design taking into account comfort and trip friendly is not attractive. I can list them but wouldn't bother. Some people LOVE the R8 which is probably the most friendly ME car around. But I can't stand the look of it.

The ME cars I Love like the Aventador Huracans, Ferrari 458 488 Laferrari types are slim and sleek and offer nothing by way of comfort and casual cargo space.

My C6 was like a Cadillac compared to me C7 (stiffer and slimmer inside) and the C7 has about 1.5x room than all the ME cars I have sat in. Unless you're on a track there's no back road anywhere that you're using a C7 on and swearing you would be faster in an ME car. U less youre trying to kill yourself (or others).

Like a novelty. They outperform FE cars for sure. But I don't race my car. This ME change does NOTHING for what I'm looking for in my Corvette.

I guess it will used AMG GT in my future if I get out of C7.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:45 PM
C2C3C4C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
Judging from some of the negative posts about the way the C8 looks is confusing to me.
Yes everyone has a different personal perception of what looks good or not.
But that aside, what were some expecting the C8 to look like as a Mid Engine car !

I think it looks great considering what it looks like with the tight fitting camo and looking forward to see it uncovered.
IMO I don't think it will look much different except for some minor details hidden by the camo.
I'd say its retained a Corvette styling, which good or bad, separates it from the many other Mid Engine vehicles.

Just my thoughts on the subject
From a Chevy salesman last night...the ME will no longer be a Corvette...it will be a Lambo wannabe.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:24 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
Judging from some of the negative posts about the way the C8 looks is confusing to me.
But that aside, what were some expecting the C8 to look like as a Mid Engine car !

I think it looks great considering what it looks like with the tight fitting camo and looking forward to see it uncovered.
IMO I don't think it will look much different except for some minor details hidden by the camo.
I'd say its retained a Corvette styling, which good or bad, separates it from the many other Mid Engine vehicles.

my current complaint is the rear of the car does not match the front of the car. but I believe the rear of the car has significant use of false panels and padding.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:26 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Unless you're on a track there's no back road anywhere that you're using a C7 on and swearing you would be faster in an ME car. U less youre trying to kill yourself (or others).

Like a novelty. They outperform FE cars for sure. But I don't race my car. This ME change does NOTHING for what I'm looking for in my Corvette.

I guess it will used AMG GT in my future if I get out of C7.
Turn in is very different on a ME at any speed. I urge to test drive a C8 before you go for the GT (which is a phenomenal car which likely has some Dodge Viper in its chassis).
Old 04-20-2019, 06:56 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
my current complaint is the rear of the car does not match the front of the car. but I believe the rear of the car has significant use of false panels and padding.
Yes and that's why I started the thread, it's a ME car, to some extent they all look like that,,.. because it's an ME/"rear" engine car.
Styling is another subject as pointed out comparing the C8 to Ferrari etc and while some look more balanced, the front's are always shorter than the rear.
Also I agree with your mention of camo panels, as I think once All the camo comes off, the difference will not look as drastic as it does now.
It seems the main area in question is the camo on the rear window/engine cover, and,... where there's possibly a small rear Side window covered up also.
That will make a big difference in how long or short the rear "looks" compared to the front.
Come on 07-18-2019

Last edited by Dif; 04-20-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:21 PM
faninc
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 364 Posts

Default Rear design - why such a Chevy challenge?

I originally did not like rear on c7 at all. Still ordered and had one that April after launched. Not a fan of leaked rear if real? Why in two back to back generations could we all not be saying WOW what rear end on the new Vette! Why do we find ourselves saying it’s not too terrible or it’s grows on us?
Looks like Camaro, again?

Hoping reveal makes the rear better than leak!
Almost soup, cmon Tag stand tall!
Old 07-11-2019, 11:06 PM
WalterSobchak
Safety Car

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif

People bitched when the c6 came out, People bitched when the c7 came out, this is no different. It's a combination of insecurity that you now have the old model and personal taste. It will happen when the c9 comes out again. It's life. No generation is perfect (except for maybe the c2 &#128521, but they all have something to offer. Personally I think it looks great with what I've seen and I don't expect a Ferrari for 80k, but a very competent car that performs well, looks good and isn't pretentious. Wait till the car and the numbers come out for final judgement, but I'm excited for the new era of MEC.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:55 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
you make a good point, but so far unless someone sees it in person, it's hard to tell what it really looks like.
Pictures are deceiving and only time will tell when it's uncovered.
On the other hand if it looked more like those other Mid Engine cars, some would say it looks too European

These two pics illustrate how the camera lens can distort reality! In the first pic, the front end looks miles long, obviously the result of wide-angle lens distortion. Could easily be mistaken for FE configuration. The second pic looks like an entirely different vehicle with an extremely short nose. The second pic is much more realistic. Goes to show, you really need to see it in person before passing judgment.
The following 2 users liked this post by BIG Dave:
bgspot (07-12-2019), WalterSobchak (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 12:02 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default There is nothing special about the C8 that defies physical and optical laws

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
These two pics illustrate how the camera lens can distort reality! In the first pic, the front end looks miles long, obviously the result of wide-angle lens distortion. Could easily be mistaken for FE configuration. The second pic looks like an entirely different vehicle with an extremely short nose. The second pic is much more realistic. Goes to show, you really need to see it in person before passing judgment.
The C8 is no less accurately rendered by photography than Ferraris or Lamborghinis--across lenses, focal lengths, and filters. Never seen a Ferrari Pista in person. It's beautiful...
Old 07-12-2019, 10:52 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by C2C3C4C6
From a Chevy salesman last night...the ME will no longer be a Corvette...it will be a Lambo wannabe.
Sounds like a remark from a car salesman with greasy hair in a cheap sport coat. Never met one that didn't have it all figured out. Those clowns should stick to chewing on cold Big Macs and telling bad jokes.
The following 2 users liked this post by punky:
boostm2 (07-13-2019), FringbirdAloha (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 11:03 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

I too will have to see the car "unveiled" before I weigh in. There was a time when I couldn't wait for the Corvette to become a mid-engine. Now that it is happening, I'm unsure whether it's really what I wanted. Guess 7-18 will tell the story...................

As an aside...I pretty much liked every model change of the Corvette except the C5. That car always looked like it was wearing a "bustle".. Hoping the C8 side scoops do not present the same profile.

Last edited by 1SG_Ret; 07-12-2019 at 11:06 AM.
AORoads (07-13-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 11:09 AM
ToddC7
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm optimistic for the release of the C8. I've loved all Corvettes except C4 and C5. C6 a bit But Chevy nailed the C7 and it looks like they nailed the exterior of the C8 as well.

My biggest concern is the C8 interior. From the leaked pics it looks like a modern (but flawed) update of a 1990's oldsmobile interior.

Hopefully the reveal proves me wrong.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:40 AM
bigwoolyg
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 70RT440
My feelings on Corvette generations are...
MEH
MEH
SWEET!
MEH
SWEET!
MEH
SWEET!

They all have aspects I like...but I look at the C5 as the spiritual successor to the C3 and I like the C7 because GM decided to pull out the stops on the design.

I'm looking forward to the C8. I really like what I see so far.
gens ranked by me in terms of styling:

C2 is just the epitome of corvette style to me. nothing prior or since has matched it
C3 (68-73) love it, that shark design was a radical make-over and it worked
C1 (61-62 something about that quad headlight and stingray tail that just works
C6 was tough to get used to no pop up headlights but after that I really like the lines, esp on the widebody. Owned a c6Z in red and loved that car miss it and wish I never sold it
C7 was not a fan of the rear, but otherwise it is a sharp, head turning car, and the rear ended up being not too bad to live with the looks of
C1 (56-60) significant changes in here C1 really were 3-4 distinct personalities. change from dual to quad headlights is kinda huge
C5 I was never a big fan of. just kinda bleh i like sharper lines on the vettes
C1 (53-55) always found the originals frumpy looking.
C4 anything was an improvement over the later C3s. simple, and I liked the tilt nose
C3 (74-82) once the dark ages of US motor industry sunk in they became hideous, would be higher if not for the later years. everything sucked from a design, quality and performance aspect though so...

C8 renders from chazcron look pretty awesome even with the not so great rear. might be up there in generation ranking
Old 07-12-2019, 01:20 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by C2C3C4C6
Porsche is gradually moving the 911’s engine forward in the chassis so it is mid- rather than rear-engined. Is a mid-engined 911 no longer a 911?

Get notified of new replies

To The look of a mid engine car/Corvette, etc

Old 07-12-2019, 01:29 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif

Love mid-engine cars. Would have liked any of these basic concepts. And yes, round or roundish taillights are important to the design. I don't have the skills to draw it, but take one part Lamborghini Diablo, combine with C4, add a hint of Ferrari F8 flair, and tada, a perfect C8 concept.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:31 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,169 Likes on 5,991 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Porsche is gradually moving the 911’s engine forward in the chassis so it is mid- rather than rear-engined. Is a mid-engined 911 no longer a 911?
They made the 911 RSR race car a mid-engine, but the 911 street car still has the engine behind the rear axle center line AFAIK.
bigwoolyg (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 01:45 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Porsche has been incrementally moving the engine forward in the 911 for generations, however it is still solidly a RE platform—except for the racecar as noted. These small moves with updated electronics have tamed much of the snap oversteer of years ago.

Quick Reply: The look of a mid engine car/Corvette, etc