Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The scoop Is fake!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:58 AM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
You are going to spend every Saturday cleaning cats, small children, and other debris out of the scoops.
Probably get a bunch of pebbles like in the C6 rear quarter panel due to that very small gab with the fender liner. I may put my hide-a-key in there.
The following users liked this post:
John T (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 12:02 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Even the Lotus Elise with the NA 2L Toyota engine needed the scoop for cooling.
Man someone is scared of hitting cones. Looks like you were planning on taking out an entire row of slalom or something

Originally Posted by Cirrus8
When DeTomaso was asked for a solution to the overheating when driving slow, he replied "Do not drive slow". I hope that that is not GM's response if the C8 is an over heater.
Well, the GM dealers response when I complained about the visibility out of a Camaro was something along the lines of "if you're the fastest you don't have to worry whats behind you", so I'll take a wait and see approach!
Old 06-10-2019, 12:03 PM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut
I've said this many time in several posts "Fake News."

We may see a Scoop but way smaller.

That thing is bigger than Oprah.
Agree 100%. Unless you are tracking, not needed, plus the look is a turn-off for many.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:22 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Man someone is scared of hitting cones. Looks like you were planning on taking out an entire row of slalom or something
LOL . . . The parking/turn signal lights in the Elise/Exige were notorious for popping out as a result of cone contact, hence the X-tape job there. The rest of the taped areas were 3M-wrapped. I started taping after finding it essentially impossible to remove the rubber residue (cones were coated with) from the wrap.

That's a big downside of wrap. You can buff out a lot of stuff on paint, but not so much on wrap.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-10-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:41 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Even the Lotus Elise with the NA 2L Toyota engine needed the scoop for cooling.
Is that you driving your car?
Old 06-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yes.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:48 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
I think there will be a scoop there, but not like the one we were led to believe. Looking at this pix, I could seen the body sweep all the way into the back wheel opening and the actual inlet be a much smaller one above tucked into the "V" on the upper part of the rear fender. So basically rip that entire scoop off allow the car body to sweep inward to the read fender and position a smaller inlet above. That would IMO make the car much more sleek and flowing than having a huge bubble on the side of the car. You can almost see where all the fake camo is glued on the car.
Yup, I've felt all along that the fender from about the top of the wheel arch forward is under padding to hide the real shape. That pic seems to show it some with the weird textures/bumps on the fender side and top.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:50 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodiak Bear
This is the Ultima "At its heart can be found the latest Chevrolet V8 LT euro 6 compliant direct fuel injection powerplant options - ranging from the 480bhp LT1, 650bhp LT4 and 800bhp supercharged LT5 (as seen in the factory demo car). Finally, the new supercharged LT5 powerplant can be further tuned to a hypercar power capability of up to a staggering 1200bhp." Note the vents size, shape and location
Cool car, but where would you put your two sets of golf bags or your master bedroom closet?
Old 06-10-2019, 12:54 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Yes.
I love those things -- a real honest to goodness "I'm a car to have fun with" car without pretending to be a GT or anything else like that.
Foosh (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 12:55 PM
Latterlon
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 154 Posts

I have edited the last spy shots to what I firmly believe is the actual scoop shape and details. The red lines are the scoop and trim shape, the green shape is the camo coverage, and the blue lines are the body lines that flow. There is a split second that you can see the edge of the scoop in the recent video. It comes down from door "triangle" where the door button is, and sweeps down and then curves and returns forward to meet with the bottom body crease/bulge. The scoop has a great shape as it operates in multiple planes/dimensions within that Z-shaped area on the rear fender.

The scoop is similar to an Aventador. It's big and beautiful.

Last edited by Latterlon; 06-10-2019 at 12:55 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Latterlon:
MikeG37 (06-10-2019), RapidC84B (06-10-2019), Ronstar (06-11-2019), WalterSobchak (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 12:57 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Yes.
I'm curious about your license plate.

Also, where is the engine coolant radiator located in your car?
Old 06-10-2019, 12:58 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,166 Likes on 5,990 Posts

Originally Posted by Latterlon
I have edited the last spy shots to what I firmly believe is the actual scoop shape and details. The red lines are the scoop and trim shape, the green shape is the camo coverage, and the blue lines are the body lines that flow. There is a split second that you can see the edge of the scoop in the recent video. It comes down from door "triangle" where the door button is, and sweeps down and then curves and returns forward to meet with the bottom body crease/bulge. The scoop has a great shape as it operates in multiple planes/dimensions within that Z-shaped area on the rear fender.

The scoop is similar to an Aventador. It's big and beautiful.

Agree.... this is it.... 99.999999999%
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
JLemke (06-10-2019), WalterSobchak (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 01:00 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by kratedisease
OK, let me educate you,......... first of all the side scoops are ABSOLUTELY CONFIRMED 100% FAKE

100% CONFIRMED FAKE by my brother who is an ENGINEER at GM. ,

and it looks like this video posted finally lets the cat out of the bag, or worm out of the can, or rabbit out of the hat or whatever. . What you are viewing are fake scoops that do not direct the air anywhere. My brother is a big time engineer at the largest building facilities for GM in Detroit and he has also confirmed that the side stops are fake. In fact, My brother is the supervising engineer in charge of the entire operation of the building, where the car is being developed. My brother explained to me that those large inlets on the side are just there for show. 100% FAKE. They are there to throw off all the spy photographers who are trying to get an early glimpse of the car. He confirmed that the side scoops will NOT be on the car reveled next month.

My brother also confirmed that Mary Barras ***** are also fake. Oh and I forgot to mention that he is the Building engineer at GM, translated means he is the Janitor.

You must forgive me. I just had to troll when emotions get so high. Its the most opportune time to troll.
Your brother sounds like a very important man. Hahahaha
Old 06-10-2019, 01:12 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I'm curious about your license plate.

Also, where is the engine coolant radiator located in your car?
MD is a very strict front-plate state. I had a Euro version of my actual MD plate number made up and fabricated a velcro attachment for the plate you see in the photo. I ran that plate on the street, and had forgotten to take it off for that SCCA autocross event. MD LEOs respected that enough that I never got cited for no front plate. The numbers were more legible than the US-style plate, and that was going to be my argument, but never had to use it.

The Elise/Exige radiator was under the front clam shell, tilted backwards under the opening visible in the photo. The front shell didn't have an openable door, but it was fairly quick and easy to remove. It was just a few fasteners, and then unplug the lights.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-10-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:18 PM
Corvette_Nut
Melting Slicks

Location: Hailing From The Mean Streets Of Irvine, California
Received 4,153 Likes on 1,314 Posts

For reference, here's a screenshot of the video of the C8 accelerating on the freeway that came out a while back....

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
Latterlon (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 01:26 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

^^^^^
Is there ANY shot where that freakin' rear spoiler looks good? Seriously
Old 06-10-2019, 01:29 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Corvette_Nut
For reference, here's a screenshot of the video of the C8 accelerating on the freeway that came out a while back....

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
Spoiler aside, you can clearly see the real shape of the scoop.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 06-10-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To The scoop Is fake!

Old 06-10-2019, 01:31 PM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Some of you all are dense...

1. You can see the heat exchanger (radiator) in there... that's not a screen. What it's for is up for debate as the engine cooling will be done up front in each side inlet. For the NA car there will be transaxle cooling to handle. For the turbo car the intercoolers (liquid to liquid based on the CAD leak) will have to be in there.

2. The quarter panel is real, the door portion of the scoop is real. What's not real is the thin outer forward part of the scoop.... if you look close you can see the real panel.

The green line is fake, the yellow scribble is probably real.... it all jives with the CAD.

So you are starting to believe there are HX right there? I hope there are, but I also do believe those ducts feed the airbox, and I can't see GM having the engine inhale from hot air, and I also believe there are HX behind them at the back of the car... so I think the other option is those are just air filters in the scoops on the mules, and the HX are only at the back of the car.. and I hope I'm wrong. I hope GM is putting HX there, but I'm not so sure they are.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:36 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bbbvettes.com
So you are starting to believe there are HX right there? I hope there are, but I also do believe those ducts feed the airbox, and I can't see GM having the engine inhale from hot air, and I also believe there are HX behind them at the back of the car... so I think the other option is those are just air filters in the scoops on the mules, and the HX are only at the back of the car.. and I hope I'm wrong. I hope GM is putting HX there, but I'm not so sure they are.
I don't know what GM's doing at this point... maybe one side will be a giant HX for the transaxle unit and the other side for engine air intake and anything else that needs cooling. What I do know... is that is a picture of a radiator and not some random screen. The cooling configuration for NA and turbo cars will undoubtedly be different.
bbbvettes.com (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 01:46 PM
born2beS12
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by WoozyWagtail
I dont understand the "fake screen" comments. You guys are aware the engine is in the back, right? I'm just not sure what you think should be there that isnt. Anyone who doesnt understand why an engine needs air may want to look up some kind of "engines 101" course.
Apparently Mclaren doesnt understand that principle as the f1 didnt have side scoops for air.

Last edited by born2beS12; 06-10-2019 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Removed botched image posting

Quick Reply: The scoop Is fake!