Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8; Corvette or Supecar?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 11:23 AM
Pit Now
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Triple Black
Have you seen Car & Drivers list of cars around the track? The Z06 and ZR1 are both super cars. The numbers don’t lie. Hyper cars are still out of the ZR1s reach with the last round of Hypercars still being significantly more powerful, lighter, and faster than a ZR1. The ZR1/Z06 on the other hand are right there or above cars like 458/488, 570S, 720S, Porsche Turbo, R8, Huracans, etc. super/hyper are performance bench marks, which both Zs easily meet. Exotic is a term based off rarity, which no Corvette meets.

Guess it all comes down to semantics and Im sure a lot of Corvette owners also refer to their cars as Exotics too. "Exotics are cars based on rarity, which NO Corvette meets" you say. I bet the 67 big block Corvette owners are steaming right now LOL with that opinion! Road and Track aka Toad and Crap is another car rag that gets paid big bucks from Manufactures and others to exhibit nicely worded reviews of their products. I bet they have also referred to the Porsche Cayman at one point as a Supercar too. At number 1 listed above that Porsche 911 GT2 RS certainly hauls ***!! Nice list.....
Old 06-15-2019, 03:48 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Hary Gahtoe
I’ve owned a C3,C4 and a C5.
I look at all the carefully scripted C8 info being released and feel sad.
This is the beginning of the end if this plays out how Mary and GM execs continue.

The C8 will be the 1st non front engined Corvette, not that its a bad thing. We all need to grow, its just that all over America men, women and kids have that love affair with what Corvette stood for.

IMHO you Can’t have it both ways. Seriously; do you see the farmer from OK in a supercar? The C8’s have merit but things get confusing for the average American owner when you go head to head with a Lamborghini
I’m sure at some point down the road if the single platform Mid engine car survives, a generous amount of folks will climb onboard but for now I’m going with a very nice classic C7

To each their own

Hary
1st off there is nothing classic about a C7..... nice car? Yes, but will definitely not age good, second the corvette is a sports car not a super car, it’s a mass produced car, regardless of where the engine is placed, people do not cross shop Chevy with Lamborghini period.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:58 PM
Pit Now
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
1st off there is nothing classic about a C7..... nice car? Yes, but will definitely not age good, second the corvette is a sports car not a super car, it’s a mass produced car, regardless of where the engine is placed, people do not cross shop Chevy with Lamborghini period.
VERY well stated in a nut shell and yes I own two C7s a GS and a 2019 ZR1 but that are just that--sports cars and mass produced.( Hey Fassler you still got a job with Fehan and Corvette Racing? Ha)

Last edited by Pit Now; 06-15-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:03 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Pit Now
VERY well stated in a nut shell and yes I own two C7s a GS and a 2019 ZR1 but that are just that--sports cars and mass produced.( Hey Fassler you still got a job with Fehan and Corvette Racing? Ha)
Maybe it’s matter of opinion but I think you can be super and massed produced but can’t be exotic and massed produced.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:20 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

This is the beginning of the end if this plays out how Mary and GM execs continue.

The C8 will be the 1st non front engined Corvette, not that its a bad thing. We all need to grow, its just that all over America men, women and kids have that love affair with what Corvette stood for.

IMHO you Can’t have it both ways. Seriously; do you see the farmer from OK in a supercar? The C8’s have merit but things get confusing for the average American owner when you go head to head with a Lamborghini
I’m sure at some point down the road if the single platform Mid engine car survives, a generous amount of folks will climb onboard but for now I’m going with a very nice classic C7

To each their own

Hary
Simple the C8 will not be a Supercar. Not even close. Maybe a ZR1 C8 would be in the ballpark but they would have to step up the game and it would likely $150-200K.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
Simple the C8 will not be a Supercar. Not even close. Maybe a ZR1 C8 would be in the ballpark but they would have to step up the game and it would likely $150-200K.
Look at all the "supercars" in the list above that a C7 Z06 or ZR1 will beat around the track.. You've got "supercar" confused with "vanity ego-stroking car".

Last edited by Warp Factor; 06-15-2019 at 04:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Warp Factor:
bbbvettes.com (06-15-2019), bob53 (06-25-2019), Mr Triple Black (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 05:18 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pit Now
Guess it all comes down to semantics and Im sure a lot of Corvette owners also refer to their cars as Exotics too. "Exotics are cars based on rarity, which NO Corvette meets" you say. I bet the 67 big block Corvette owners are steaming right now LOL with that opinion! Road and Track aka Toad and Crap is another car rag that gets paid big bucks from Manufactures and others to exhibit nicely worded reviews of their products. I bet they have also referred to the Porsche Cayman at one point as a Supercar too. At number 1 listed above that Porsche 911 GT2 RS certainly hauls ***!! Nice list.....
Yeah a lot is semantics. Obviously the 67 Vette is rare now but compared to exotics of the time they weren’t. I just as many Caymans as Vette’s but I also don’t think 911s qualify as exotics as they’re just Europeans Vette’s. And Caymans are more common than 911s. Even the GT2RS is just a ZR1 to me. But yes, the GT2RS is hella fast in a scary way.

When I think exotic I think 488, 570S, Huracan, etc. something you see far less than a Vette. At least here in DFW where I see 50 a day. When I think hypercar I think LaFerrari, 918, Chiron, P1, etc. Even cars like a 355 are exotic, however any new Vette would smoke that thing.

Like I said though, it’s all a matter of opinion. Either way I know my Z06/Z07 is nothing to mess with on a track in terms of stock cars. It’s crazy fast. Can’t even imagine a ZR1.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:25 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

If you don't like GOOGLE use DUCK DUCK go.

There is only one super car factory in the US and it isn't GM.

Last edited by heavymetals; 06-15-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:20 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by heavymetals
If you don't like GOOGLE use DUCK DUCK go.

There is only one super car factory in the US and it isn't GM.
The only other comparable cars are the Viper and Ford GT. Both of which are exotics, with obviously the GT being the most exotic.

Last edited by Mr Triple Black; 06-15-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:37 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

The only other comparable cars are the Viper and Ford GT. Both of which are exotics, with obviously the GT being the most exotic.
You consider the Viper an exotic and not the Corvette z06 or zr1 ?
Old 06-15-2019, 08:06 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
You consider the Viper an exotic and not the Corvette z06 or zr1 ?
Look up Viper production Numbers compared to Corvette. For exotic I look at production numbers. For super car I look at stock performance numbers.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:13 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Look up Viper production Numbers compared to Corvette. For exotic I look at production numbers. For super car I look at stock performance numbers.
Sure. Limited production but the Viper hardly beats Corvette in build quality, design or overall impressiveness our side of brute HP.

Id call them about even.

FGT is exotic due to the “advanced” engineering and radical design as well as the limited production. IMO.

and for supercar. If you measure by performance, Corvette beats a bunch of so called supercars.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 06-15-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:21 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

No matter how much some want to think or tell their friends that drive a supercar Chevrolet says:

"Chevrolet Complete Care is included with every 2019 Chevrolet Corvette"

Operative words are Chevrolet Corvette. Its Chevy you can drive off the lot for $48,000 while Chevy will sell you a high end Silverado for $70,000. Its fast looks good but with suspect build quality & its not a super car despite how much wannabe words are thrown around.

My 67 Stingray 427 was not a supercar either. It was very fast in its day but some spares including engines & transmissions were interchangeable with the mid size Chevelle.

Lightning Laps gets posted & what do you see. Only 2 Corvettes out of 13 tested are quicker around VIR then a Camaro.

Ask most people with no dog in the debate to name a super car & out of 100 I bet there would be a lot of Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, some McLaren's mentioned & 0 StingRays

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-15-2019 at 08:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
roadking40 (06-16-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 08:40 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Sure. Limited production but the Viper hardly beats Corvette in build quality, design or overall impressiveness our side of brute HP.

Id call them about even.

FGT is exotic due to the “advanced” engineering and radical design as well as the limited production. IMO.

and for supercar. If you measure by performance, Corvette beats a bunch of so called supercars.
Supercars are NOT just measured by performance which is why the Corvette is not one. Everything about a supercar is super. They have performance, exclusivity, and exotic qualities. They are not something that an average person will ever attain which is why they are special. The corvette just doesn't hit these high standards except for performance.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:07 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Id call them about even.

To me, super is defined by performance, exotic is defined by design combined with rarity. If Corvettes were being built with Ford GT numbers I’d consider it exotic, but obviously that’s not the case. In terms of performance the Corvette (Z06/ZR1) performs/out performs the best of the super car tier and they’re in it. That is to me.

They’re no where close to hyper cars IMO, and they’re not in the least bit exotic. When you’re doing 20-30k a year build numbers you’re not exotic in the slightest. When you’re burning Huracans and 458s/488s on the track, that’s super.

That’s like saying Porsche Turbo isn’t super. They’re not exotic either, but they sure are super.

Last edited by Mr Triple Black; 06-15-2019 at 09:10 PM.
bbbvettes.com (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 10:04 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Supercars are NOT just measured by performance which is why the Corvette is not one. Everything about a supercar is super. They have performance, exclusivity, and exotic qualities. They are not something that an average person will ever attain which is why they are special. The corvette just doesn't hit these high standards except for performance.
There ya go, you said it yourself. You have "supercar" confused with "exotic", and "overpriced".
Old 06-15-2019, 10:13 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sub Driver

I agree. But in reply to Mr Triplle Black, if Viper is a supercar then Corvette is too. I see those as equal in build quality and performance more or less.

Get notified of new replies

To C8; Corvette or Supecar?

Old 06-15-2019, 10:29 PM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts

exotic = viper acr

supercar = viper acr and c7z06 and c7zr1

People are having trouble keeping these 2 definitions separate

The 2 words can also be combined. Exotic supercar. Vette is not in that category.

Shelby series 1- claimed to be a usa supercar.

So does the Ultima (not the nissan)

So did the hennessey 1000hp lotus exige they made

So did Noble claim they were usa supercars.

Lingenfelter's 1000hp tt c6 and c5s were considered supercars.

There have been plenty, and I would rather have a c7 z06 over any of those cars for well rounded performance and best interior.

not saying those cars were great, simply saying people believe(d) those are/were supercars.

Last edited by bbbvettes.com; 06-15-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:59 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
There ya go, you said it yourself. You have "supercar" confused with "exotic", and "overpriced".
Nothing is confused. Like I said, everything about a supercar is super, hence the name. It isn't just one simple metric like performance. It includes exclusivity, exotic design, materials, construction and technology, in addition to performance. It is the WHOLE package not just one thing. That is why it is called super. Again, anything middle class people can get new is not in the realm of a supercar. The corvette has always been a budget sports car because it doesn't strive to meet all of the other benchmarks, it cuts corners so it can compete performance wise with the real supercars. Too many people try to lower the standards so they can call their sports car a supercar to make themselves feel better or something. If the corvette is a supercar then so is the Dodge Demon and so is the Mustang GT500 and so on and so on until the term literally means nothing and everyone owns a supercar. If that is what makes you feel better then so be it.

Last edited by Sub Driver; 06-15-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:01 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,009 Likes on 471 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

To each their own

Hary
Please stop with the stupid threads like this and go back to your regular daily job...
khartford (06-17-2019)

Quick Reply: C8; Corvette or Supecar?