Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to deal with the public (after C8 reveal)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 02:08 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora_Vette
I was expecting several likes on this post, the fact that I recieved a negative response, plus posts with far less thought into them got more likes than me is disappointing.
Well, the fact is that it apparently is not a particularly compelling issue for most. Perhaps you should ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish. By and large all of us here are Corvette consumers. We were not hired as Corvette Ambassadors. I may be wrong, but that appears to be what you are asking, but that is not in our remit. We made a statement to others by buying a Corvette, but that's as far as it goes. We need not justify our decision to others, nor do we need to explain to others why the C8 is (going to be) great--or not. No consensus is necessary. I'm guessing those who do buy a C8 will get a certain amount of attention for awhile, and they will need to decide how to respond for themselves. It's GM's responsibility to market the car, so let 'em do it. I don't suppose my post here is worthy of any "likes" either, but it is not something I'm worried about, and fishing for them is kind of unseemly.

Last edited by mschuyler; 06-15-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:36 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

It has occurred to me that the masses and even a lot of Corvette owners do not know that the C8 exists or what it is. So, on July 18th when it is in headlines everywhere, said masses with flock to social media with their uninformed and uneducated opinions about how the "Corvette is ruined", "The Corvette is supposed to be a FE car", "Why did they go mid engine after all this time it looks like a budget Ferrari now" etc etc. How do we [politely] explain to these people that they are wrong and then explain to them the answers to their questions and stuff like that. Yes, even though we are not paid by GM to do it, most of us feel the need to stick up for the Corvette. And this is a very crucial due to what the C8 is. If public opinion goes negative for the C8... there may not be a C9, or any more after that of course. Can somebody maybe post a nice and detailed response in this thread that the rest of us can copy and paste to reply to people on and after July 18th?
Hmm, you're looking for an elevator speech, as that is all the time you'd have with most folks who will roll their eys if you give them tech talk like discussing "polar moment of inertia!" Yep that is one written so in very few words if you're on an elevator with someone, you can make a few quick points!

IMO it will depend on what is shown. I have said, Jolopnik, who has been negative about Corvette at times (and in todays Internet World short negative headlines get the most attention) might say something like this:

Title: "GM Introduces Halo Corvette with Old Pushrod V8!"

First Line: "While Mary Barra announced the long awaited halo Corvette with a 6.3 Liter pushrod V8, Alfa already has a 4 door sport sedan with a 505 hp 2.9 Liter twin turbo V6. In addition Alfa has announced it will soon add a 140 hp F1 hybrid for a total of 645 hp!"

I have speculated that one possible answer (and possible reason for the delay) would for Mary Barra to have at the launch the "soon to be available" more advanced version (Z06 or whatever it would be called.) It will probably have a high hp 4.2 Liter twin turbo engine (a variant of what is being built in Bowling Green.) To get the press positive and show they are a good corporate citizen concerned regarding the environment, it will have the Andy Pilgrim "leaked" FWD hybrid option!

The press will latch onto the hybrid as the main headline and discussion. If they do that then my "elevator speech" would be the words they gave Andy Pilgrim to use in that "leak: "An advantage of a ME is it leaves room for a FWD, light weight hydrid that will improve mpg!"

Last edited by JerryU; 06-16-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:05 PM
Zerv02
Racer

Received 308 Likes on 95 Posts

I was expecting several likes on this post, the fact that I recieved a negative response, plus posts with far less thought into them got more likes than me is disappointing.
Honest to god, I just can't seem to understand your intentions. I can't tell if you're just straight trolling in all of your posts, or if you're genuinely just an oddball. In either case, why? What's the purpose, what's the end goal? This is a forum for people who, for the most part, are current/past owners of Corvettes and are passionate about the brand. Your 19 years old, I'm almost certain you have not owned a Corvette, let alone your own car. Surely you have better things to do than to be wasting your time trolling on a Corvette forum...... just my two cents
The following 2 users liked this post by Zerv02:
BlueDevlZ06 (06-15-2019), ShagVette (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 03:21 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

(Can't figure out why a fanboi feels such a strong emotional drive to be a public apologist or defender for a car?? WTF? Then is upset with not getting the "expected" {required?} feedback in a public forum? Don't wish to be harsh, but it kind of sounds like somebody needs their safe space - Mom's basement, perhaps?)
The following 2 users liked this post by Easy Rhino:
BlueDevlZ06 (06-15-2019), ShagVette (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 03:30 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

This forum is full of "experts" who are the holders of all knowledge that have decided every nut and bolt that should and should not be on a C8. They declare that if their whishes are not met the C8, the Vette and GM will fail. The responses you are getting is due to some just getting tired of reading the same old stuff.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, you're looking for an elevator speech, as that is all the time you'd have with most folks who will roll their eys if you give them tech talk like discussing "polar moment of inertia!" Yep that is one written so in very few words if you're on an elevator with someone, you can make a few quick points!

IMO it will depend on what is shown. I have said, Jolopnik, who has been negative about Corvette at times (and in todays Internet World short negative headlines get the most attention) might say something like this:

Title: "GM Introduces Halo Corvette with Old Pushrod V8!"

First Line: "While Mary Barra announced the long awaited halo Corvette with a 6.3 Liter pushrod V8, Alfa already has a 4 door sport sedan with a 505 hp 2.9 Liter twin turbo V6. In addition Alfa has announced it will soon add a 140 hp F1 hybrid for a total of 645 hp!"

I have speculated that one possible answer (and possible reason for the delay) would her to have at the launch the "soon to be available" more advanced version (Z06 or whatever it would be called.) It will probably have a high hp 4.2 Liter twin turbo engine (a variant of what is being built in Bowling Green.) To get the press positive and show they are a good corporate citizen concerned about the environment, it will have the Andy Pilgrim "leaked" FWD hybrid option!

The press will latch onto the hybrid as the main headline and discussion. If they do that then my "elevator speech" would be the words they gave Andy Pilgrim to use in that "leak: "An advantage of a ME is it leaves room for a FWD, light weight hydrid that will improve mpg!"
Yep...that wonderful mid engine with a tiny DOHC with FWD 2018 NSX hybrid gets 21 city and 22 highway.

My old obsolete 7.0L pushrod OHV Z06 beats the hell out of that on the highway.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:44 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

You were "expecting likes"? Who gives a crap about likes, lol? This is one weird topic, I don't feel the need to justify any purchase of my own to any one else, why would you?
The following 4 users liked this post by Sub Driver:
BlueDevlZ06 (06-15-2019), hummiscorvettetaken (06-15-2019), khartford (06-17-2019), ShagVette (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 04:04 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Yep...that wonderful mid engine with a tiny DOHC with FWD 2018 NSX hybrid gets 21 city and 22 highway.

My old obsolete 7.0L pushrod OHV Z06 beats the hell out of that on the highway.
That twin turbo, hybrid will do a lot better! In any case the average person, press etc perceives a 7 Liter V8 as a Gas Guzzler and a smaller engine as more efficient!

In the case of the 8.2 Liter engine in my Street Rod they are right! Gets about 10 mpg!

They all depend on what they are tuned for, gear ratio's etc etc. Mine is set up for best 0 to 60!
Old 06-15-2019, 04:15 PM
kratedisease
Melting Slicks

Received 2,088 Likes on 906 Posts

Fasten your seatbelts

33 days left till launch !
Old 06-15-2019, 04:40 PM
Idaho Mark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Frankly, I don’t care what the average yahoo thinks about Corvettes, I am hooked on then. In fact I can sit and look at my Corvettes in total silence as if they were master pieces of art. Which they are to me art on wheels. There is a C-8 that will have a place in my garage and every second I’m able, I will admire it as the piece of art that it is.
The following users liked this post:
khartford (06-17-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 05:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
That twin turbo, hybrid will do a lot better! In any case the average person, press etc perceives a 7 Liter V8 as a Gas Guzzler and a smaller engine as more efficient!

In the case of the 8.2 Liter engine in my Street Rod they are right! Gets about 10 mpg!

They all depend on what they are tuned for, gear ratio's etc etc. Mine is set up for best 0 to 60!
What is neat about my 7L OHV V8 is that I can add an E-Force and end up with 657+ HP and my gas mileage will not suffer(as long as I keep my foot out of it) one bit.

All that torque from my 7L V8 means I can achieve 30+ MPG on the highway in 6th gear(.5:1) with my 3.42:1 rear gear while cruising at 70 MPH at 1500 RPM and still be able to cut a 0-60 in 3 seconds.

I say 3 seconds flat because a pure stock C6 Z06 with 505 HP on the original crappy Goodyear's can do the 1/4 in 10.981 seconds.

Another 150 horses from the E-Force and a decent set of Michelin's makes a big difference. And still get 30+ MPG on the highway without changing any gear ratios.

After all, if the NSX can run twin turbo's to get horsepower, why can't I run an E-Force to get horsepower. Both of us blown, and I still get better gas mileage than the itty bitty engine in the NSX.

I drive my Z06 based on reality, not on perception. I can't help what the general public thinks my Z06 gets for fuel economy, but what I see when I'm filling the tank up is what counts.

All I have to do is make it down the 1/4 mile without dropping an exhaust valve(but so far I haven't, as I spent my own money fixing GM's **** up, by being proactive and installing aftermarket heads that flow an additional 9% intake and 12% exhaust). Of course, that extra head flow means that I should get more than 657 HP from an E-Force installation.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-15-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Warp Factor (06-16-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 06:02 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Old 06-15-2019, 06:38 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Not to help pile on here, but how old are you dude, like 12?
Whatever you do don’t go writing a goodbye thread after this one.
The sharks will be circling with anticipation, waiting for a bleeding Guppy.
ShagVette (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 06:46 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

It has occurred to me that the masses and even a lot of Corvette owners do not know that the C8 exists or what it is. So, on July 18th when it is in headlines everywhere, said masses with flock to social media with their uninformed and uneducated opinions about how the "Corvette is ruined", "The Corvette is supposed to be a FE car", "Why did they go mid engine after all this time it looks like a budget Ferrari now" etc etc. How do we [politely] explain to these people that they are wrong and then explain to them the answers to their questions and stuff like that. Yes, even though we are not paid by GM to do it, most of us feel the need to stick up for the Corvette. And this is a very crucial due to what the C8 is. If public opinion goes negative for the C8... there may not be a C9, or any more after that of course. Can somebody maybe post a nice and detailed response in this thread that the rest of us can copy and paste to reply to people on and after July 18th?
Are you serious?......Why would I care what anyone thinks about the c8?.......No skin off my @ss what anyone thinks.

Im not 14 years old and need everyone to validate my car purchase, otherwise Ill be crushed.

It's GM's job to market this car.....not mine.
94Lt1Vette (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 06:52 PM
Murray Anderson
Team Owner

Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts

Sure......

This is what you say if anyone feels the way you do.

Nobodies opinion is wrong, it’s their opinion. If the general public think it’s wrong and an abomination to the corvette brand, then it is. If the overwhelming consensus is that it’s a dud, GM can be blamed, not the public.

Hope this helps
Old 06-15-2019, 08:07 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I don't understand why anyone would care what others think about the C8.
All that matters is what YOU think about the car.
Eminitrader (06-18-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 09:31 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

The vast general public won’t give a damn about the car no matter how it performs or what it looks like. That’s simple reality.

Now come out with a new infotainment system in the latest SUV. That they care about.
sunsalem (06-16-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To How to deal with the public (after C8 reveal)

Old 06-15-2019, 09:40 PM
xWS6guy
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

In my opinion, people who don't know the upcoming Corvette is a mid-engine car won't care when they do hear about it. Those who will care already know about it.

But if you really want, I'll get my posterboard and picket sticks out.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:06 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 978 Likes on 460 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

OMG...such worries...
ShagVette (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 11:16 PM
ChiefBoats

Location: NNCC No Name Car Crew Owned 1 C2, 2 C3's, 1 C4, 3 C5's, 1 C6, 2 C7's Now '81, '86, '03.
Received 3,941 Likes on 1,623 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C3 of the Year Wnner - Unmodified
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Gee, I felt sorry, I gave a like.
Corgidog1 (06-16-2019)

Quick Reply: How to deal with the public (after C8 reveal)