Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My only hesitation - will there be one on ever corner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 02:28 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Right, once again it's clear you prefer a GT touring luxury coupe over a purist, performance-oriented sports car. The LC500's performance stats are pathetic compared to the C7GS. A Full second slower 0 to 60, MUCH slower lap times at tracks, etc. You may not want/need that better performance, but that's exactly my point.

Also, Corvettes are arguably some of the most reliable sports cars / supercars on the market. If you think even the like of Porsche and other sports car brands haven't had quality issues, you're delusional. Just with Porsche, we've had the 996 IMS bearing issue, GT3 engine issues, cracked GT4 shock tower issues, etc. etc. Audi R8s have cracked front subframe issues. Ferraris have constantly been plagued with issues, the smallest of which would be sticky interior buttons, wrinkled passenger airbag covers, etc. etc. To act like Corvettes have more issues than similar performing sports car is completely delusional and the opposite of the truth.

This guy has spent tons of time with lots of different sports car and here's what he thinks of the C7GS, as compared to someone who has limited experience driving sports cars to their potential (and it sounds like you got an automatic GS at that, which is inconceivable to me). By your logic, why not just buy the new Supra over a C8?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zSAO92fmI
I owned a GS. I know how good a performance car it is. I've driven it at Spring Mountain. But it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread in all aspects. Far from it.

You're obviously all about the numbers....and I prefer to have a far superior car that is more usable on the street.

A Supra? Now that's just plain ignorant.

And what do you drive....a C5? When you get some experience owning, living with, paying for, and driving modern cars every day, get back to me. You seem to be one of those "manual only" guys. 'Nuff said.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:33 PM
MEJ
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Not trying to be an As**ole but if you want exclusivity, buy a Morgan 8 or an Ariel Atom,
NO one will have one of those!
The following users liked this post:
desmophile (08-22-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 03:38 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,918 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
I owned a GS. I know how good a performance car it is. I've driven it at Spring Mountain. But it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread in all aspects. Far from it.

You're obviously all about the numbers....and I prefer to have a far superior car that is more usable on the street.

A Supra? Now that's just plain ignorant.

And what do you drive....a C5? When you get some experience owning, living with, paying for, and driving modern cars every day, get back to me. You seem to be one of those "manual only" guys. 'Nuff said.
That's great, you still didn't address my other points. And there's no need to knock Corvettes (which have a completely different intent/purpose) to validate your decision to buy a 4,400lb pig of a touring coupe. By definition, it's not even a sports car.

It seems a luxury touring coupe was your preference all along, as compared to a purist sports car. Glad you found what you wanted.

I'll gladly continue to drive my thrilling C5 Z06 at 3,100lbs (which still greatly outperforms the LC500, btw, how sad for the LC), and add a C8 to complement it. And if I need luxury, I'll hop in my Range Rover, thank you very much.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 08-22-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:37 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
That's great, you still didn't address my other points. And there's no need to knock Corvettes (which have a completely different intent/purpose) to validate your decision to buy a 4,400lb pig of a touring coupe. By definition, it's not even a sports car.

It seems a luxury touring coupe was your preference all along, as compared to a purist sports car. Glad you found what you wanted.

I'll gladly continue to drive my thrilling C5 Z06 at 3,100lbs (which still greatly outperforms the LC500, btw, how sad for the LC), and add a C8 to complement it. And if I need luxury, I'll hop in my Range Rover, thank you very much.

I'm not here to knock Corvettes......never was......that's your perception since you obviously don't want to hear any criticism. I love Corvettes and most likely I'll buy a C8 Z06. I never said they were less reliable than other sports cars. But with the issues they do have, GM buries their head in the sand.

FYI, if the LC500 has a 0-60 time of 4.2, and the C7 GS with the manual (YOUR choice) is 3.9, and that PIG of a Lexus weighs about 800 pounds more, which car is pathetic? Neither one really, they’re both great, but your comment is factually wrong and simply borne out of anger, hate or frustration.

Perhaps you just can't grasp the fact that there is a lot more to living with a car than just the numbers. You're stuck on that because that's the only argument you really have...and that's fine. If you find driving a car with an ill-fitting tupperware interior (C5) "thrilling," then great. Enjoy the hell out of it. I had a C5 and it was okay for it's time....today it's a joke.....but it was designed about 25 years ago so that's to be expected. GM has continued to make improvements in quality and I'm sure they will continue to do so. I'm less forgiving than I used to be and I hope they really step up their game. Some of the photos of the pre-pro cars are not very reassuring. I'll be seeing one in person on Aug 29, but I'll reserve final judgement until I can actually see and drive a production car at Spring Mountain in January. Apparently they're getting 200 of the first year's allocation.

I do think the Corvette is intended to be a GT car....not a "purist" sports cars....whatever that means. Just look at the options list. It's a gray area at best and no car can be all things to all people. At this point, for me, the LC is a far more satisfying purchase and ownership experience. It's just an incredible car. However, I'm completely fickle and may get a serious jones for the C8.......but it will have to be in addition to, not a replacement for the LC.

But seriously....a Range Rover? C'mon, dude. You can do better than that.

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 08-22-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:45 PM
Pizz
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

So, who’s trading their C7 for a C8?
Old 08-22-2019, 06:30 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

Yes, could be considered that there will be one on every corner.

20K vehicles sold each year for Corvette?
I'd say There are Porsche on every corner where I live.

Some one above said buy a Morgan.
That is a good reply.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:45 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts
Default A C8 on every corner?

That would be great in my opinion. If I bumped into another C8 owner every time I went to Burger King, I would instantly have a buddy I could talk cars with. Sweet.

With a C7 Z, I occasionally have a Z06 buddy at the track, but not often. But lots of other great car guys to talk to anyway.

Car exclusivity is a matter of how much you can afford, and a little luck thrown in. And a lot like a "who's got the biggest Richard" contest in my opinion.

Having an uncommon car is fine, I don't fault anyone for wanting one. Its all good. And I certainly haven't intended to annoy anyone with what I have written.

I just hope that GM can sell enough that the bean counters see a profit and they can keep making these great cars.

Quick Reply: My only hesitation - will there be one on ever corner?