Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My only hesitation - will there be one on ever corner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 07:54 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 620 Likes on 358 Posts

OP has a point, but it depends on location. Areas of the country where corvettes sell in high numbers should see no ‘explosion’ of numbers of C8’s over previous gens. But in areas like Los Angeles where corvettes are a far rarer sight, compared to Porches, etc., will see more C8’s on the Streets than C7’s.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:00 PM
BigStigin
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil1098
You could select RPO D30 Color combination override and order a bronze car with red seats, blue belts, and yellow calipers and then tell everyone it's one of one with this combination. Of course if you find a free barf bag in the center console with a bowtie on it, you'll understand why.
Hilarious, but true, for someone truly concerned about being 1 of 1
Old 08-18-2019, 08:34 PM
poorwhiteguy
Race Director

Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

YOU, and only YOU(the OP) can put a big, giant NASCAR bumper sticker on the left. And one of those cool Dixie confederate flags on the right bumper. Problem solved.

Last edited by poorwhiteguy; 08-18-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:17 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,342 Likes on 3,538 Posts

Depends entirely on where you live... NOT on my corners.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:43 PM
wvanepps
Pro

Received 489 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by skewzme
The C8 offers so much at such an affordable price, there's likely to be one on every corner,
and that makes it boring after awhile.
Anybody else concerned about that?
For about 3 months you will be the cool person at your local Car's and Coffee. After that about 20 more will show up and a few with your exact color and rims. One of the reasons I purchased a Carbon 65 is that they only made 650 for the world (500 for the US and 150 for the rest of the world). Even though it is still a Corvette I get people coming up to me all the time because it is a Carbon 65. I have yet to see another one.

I will probably wait for a special edition limited production C8 Z06 to purchase. At least you will not see 50 of them at Cars and Coffee next year.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:48 PM
wvanepps
Pro

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
I sold my '17 GS and bought an LC500.....so at this point I'm in-between Corvettes. The Lexus is a far superior vehicle. There is truly no comparison in quality and engineering, and I think I've seen three other ones on the road in the last two years. Ohhhhh exclusivity!! Big deal. What I miss is that there is virtually no community surrounding this car. No information pipeline, no wacky dysfunctional forum, no feeling like you're part of something special, which I always felt ever since owning my first Vette at 17.

The Lexus has truly spoiled me for anything of lesser quality but that doesn't mean I won't buy a C8 at some point. The Corvette ownership experience is a unique animal, and THAT is what EXCLUSIVITY is, sales numbers be damned.
LC500 is a great car. Supremely high quality. Lexus is having a problem selling it though for some reason. Gorgeous car that drives great and oozes quality. I guess when you are at $100k people start looking at 911's.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:03 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,653 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
If your thinking it's going to be like Mustangs and Camaros, or big SUV sized car shaped dodges, probably not. If you mean like every other generation of Corvette, then probably yes.

I don't see what the big deal is.

If you want true exclusivity that's not based on a VW bug kit car then you are going to have to pony up some cash and buy your way into it.

An example, you know how many Ford GTs I've seen on the street driving in the last 15 years? exactly 2, and I spend a ton of time on the road.
The only Ford GT I ever saw was on the lift above my 2013 C6 Z06 being delivered by PlyCar in December 2012. The driver, Patrick, said the Ford GT was purchase by a very wealthy guy (would not share his name for obvious reasons) and had invested over $100,000 in modifications and is a "Christmas Present" to his Father. Hahahaha. What a nice Xmas present.

Was a sick looking ride!! The first and only Ford GT ever seen in person.

Then again, in all of the 9 years of the C6 Generation and the additional 6 years of C7 Generation, I have never (not once) ever seen another Arctic White C6 Z06 on the road in theae past 15 years. So, I'd say (or claim) my 2013 Arctic White C6 Z06 is just as exclusive as that Ford GT I saw.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Black (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 12:15 AM
ZROne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wvanepps
For about 3 months you will be the cool person at your local Car's and Coffee. After that about 20 more will show up and a few with your exact color and rims. One of the reasons I purchased a Carbon 65 is that they only made 650 for the world (500 for the US and 150 for the rest of the world). Even though it is still a Corvette I get people coming up to me all the time because it is a Carbon 65. I have yet to see another one.

I will probably wait for a special edition limited production C8 Z06 to purchase. At least you will not see 50 of them at Cars and Coffee next year.
If you want exclusivity in a Corvette then buy a restored/restomod C1 or C2, or a possibly a C4 ZR-1 (low production numbers, and can look exotic if you spend some money). They’re all still Corvettes though. Real exclusivity would be something like a Cord Model 812. Something you literally can’t buy unless one of 10 people sell it.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:27 AM
Proudpatriot
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie
No. I barely see C7s and you won't see much of these either. Unless everyone buys the cheap bare bones version but those are wanna be owners and that's fortunately not very common. Hopefully you won't see many. To get a good optioned car at $80k or more you'll be fine. Nothing worse than seeing a ton of vettes everywhere. Kind of like those cheap Mustangs or Challengers all over the place. Makes the car seem cheesy.
Ummmmm-if someone actually owns a car they are actual owners not wanna be owners.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:28 AM
Proudpatriot
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

LC500 is a great car. Supremely high quality. Lexus is having a problem selling it though for some reason. Gorgeous car that drives great and oozes quality. I guess when you are at $100k people start looking at 911's.
My next door neighbor has one (LC500). It is a stunning car.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:42 AM
tmplas
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

just saw a ford gt this weekend - was trying to go to trader joes, and streets were all blocked off - turns out it was some kind of car show.
bgspot (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 02:05 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Proudpatriot
My next door neighbor has one (LC500). It is a stunning car.

It really is a very unique design but polarizing as well. It's not for everybody but I love the wide rear stance and although I've had it for a few months, it's still exciting every time I see it and drive it. Most people have no idea what it is.....I receive way more attention than I ever did in any Corvette. I really wish there were more out there so I could at least see what it looks like going down the road. Lexus does not have the fanatical following of Porsche and Corvette........the price of entry is pretty high hence it sells in low numbers. I wish the Corvette was built as well but I have high hopes for the C8.

The following 2 users liked this post by VETTE-NV:
Jeff W (08-22-2019), wvanepps (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 02:12 AM
frednino
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skewzme
The C8 offers so much at such an affordable price, there's likely to be one on every corner,
and that makes it boring after awhile.
Anybody else concerned about that?
I guess this would be the OP's worst nightmare:

For me, exclusivity and risk for boredom were secondary concerns when I acquired my c2, c5, and c7. But if they are your priorities, I would suggest a nice c2, with sufficient exclusivity for your needs, and low risk for boredom (every day I had mine, it made me smile to look at it). And you may find the C2 forum a "kinder, gentler" place to post - this C8 section is a tougher crowd than my mother's bingo hall buddies

Boy I miss my c2 - all except for the carburetor....
ArmchairArchitect (08-22-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 02:25 AM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
OP has a point, but it depends on location. Areas of the country where corvettes sell in high numbers should see no ‘explosion’ of numbers of C8’s over previous gens. But in areas like Los Angeles where corvettes are a far rarer sight, compared to Porches, etc., will see more C8’s on the Streets than C7’s.

Oh hell yes.

In my area if you're caught driving a Corvette you're a Poor ****. When I bought my C6Z my wife said "people are going to think we are broke or going BK. What will our friends think"

I told her I give a **** what anyone says.

Most sportscars in my neighborhood are Porsches, BMW, Mercedes and Ferrari/Lambo/Bentely.

And 99.9% never go fast, ***** *** drivers.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:35 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 717 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
It really is a very unique design but polarizing as well. It's not for everybody but I love the wide rear stance and although I've had it for a few months, it's still exciting every time I see it and drive it. Most people have no idea what it is.....I receive way more attention than I ever did in any Corvette. I really wish there were more out there so I could at least see what it looks like going down the road. Lexus does not have the fanatical following of Porsche and Corvette........the price of entry is pretty high hence it sells in low numbers. I wish the Corvette was built as well but I have high hopes for the C8.
Nice car.
Considering the LC500 starts at $92,500, I wonder what GM could do with another $32,000 tacked on to the base C8 budget...
Old 08-19-2019, 11:47 AM
Wyldfyer
Pro

Received 512 Likes on 256 Posts

IMHO, there’s only slight “exclusivity” and really it’s among other owners. WE will look as see Z06, GS, etc. The casual fan will look at stingray, Z06, GS and see Corvette. I saw it a lot with my AMG’s until I started customizing. I see it everyday with my Shelby GT350. I’ve often had people ask if it was a body kit or ask what version it is. Of course other mustang owners know Shelby for the most part. At the end of the day, it’s a Mustang. Same here; it’s a Corvette (obviously on a higher level than a mustang).

In year one, there will be a special feeling owning this car which is why I ordered one. IF prices go down and we start to see more on the road, it will really be able how you customize your car. There’s also a chance that we see the GTR effect where the car is so special that the price never goes down. Not likely but would be nice.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:58 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
IMHO, there’s only slight “exclusivity” and really it’s among other owners. WE will look as see Z06, GS, etc. The casual fan will look at stingray, Z06, GS and see Corvette. I saw it a lot with my AMG’s until I started customizing. I see it everyday with my Shelby GT350. I’ve often had people ask if it was a body kit or ask what version it is. Of course other mustang owners know Shelby for the most part. At the end of the day, it’s a Mustang. Same here; it’s a Corvette (obviously on a higher level than a mustang).

In year one, there will be a special feeling owning this car which is why I ordered one. IF prices go down and we start to see more on the road, it will really be able how you customize your car. There’s also a chance that we see the GTR effect where the car is so special that the price never goes down. Not likely but would be nice.
Since I was born with a rather ordinary wing-****, should I be investigating ways to customize it, like having it tattood, or would it be better to drive around in a "desperate dude" car?

Get notified of new replies

To My only hesitation - will there be one on ever corner?

Old 08-19-2019, 12:42 PM
Vett101
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lemans06conv
I see VERY FEW c7's out in the wild. Like in the almost 5 years they have been out less than 10 - seriously.

There is going to be a slight bump in production and they will sell A LOT of these. The base is an absolute steal considering all you get w it. This OP question depends on where you live - South of the Ohio River you will see more. In the upper midwest few, at least in my experience. If you are ion So FL, you will see a lot, but who cares. To me, it just means you made a wise purchase!

I live in the SF bay area. I got my C7 in the first quarter of production and never saw another C7 on the road for a year even commuting 40 miles everyday to silicon valley the home of disposable high tech income. In fact, I didn't start to see any/many for at least 2 years. Even now it's a rare site with 6 years of production out there. Certainly may be different in other areas but that was my experience.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:57 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 355 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I just took a 3000 mile road trip from Seattle - Montana Glacier National Park - Yellowstone - Mt. St. Helens - Mt. Rainer and back to Seattle. I saw three that's three Corvettes.

We just did the same. 3000 mile round trip from Wisconsin out to Devil's tower, Yellowstone, the badlands, Mt Rushmore, Crazyhorse, etc.

3, maybe 4 Corvettes on the entire trip. Not at all common cars to see on the road.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:21 PM
wvanepps
Pro

Originally Posted by vrybad
Nice car.
Considering the LC500 starts at $92,500, I wonder what GM could do with another $32,000 tacked on to the base C8 budget...
I am pretty sure the C8 will be a great car however it does not matter if GM added $50k to it. The quality level of the LC500 will always be much higher than a Corvette. For one the LC500 is made by Lexus which puts a huge priority in quality. The materials used in a LC500 are top notch and spare zero expense. GM is not known for quality. Don't get me wrong I love Corvettes but that is more for the price to performance level that you get. To make a $60k base mid-engine car you will have to make up for it somewhere and with GM that is quality. GM is not in the high end quality car business while Lexus certainly is.

Quick Reply: My only hesitation - will there be one on ever corner?