Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concerning photo

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 07:44 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,194 Posts

PDK - the benchmark for DCTs have had their issues as well. Google search and read. Especially the early one. But as recent as 2017s they were swapping those gearboxes out for an internal issue which they came up with a "repair kit" for it became so costly.

They are complex units. And still relatively new I. The automotive world in these applications.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:44 PM
Jeffro19
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Propspinner
I would.
So you shell out 85k drive it a month or two and the trans locks up. You call a tow truck and the driver shows up hooks up a cable and drags your new Corvette screeching across the pavement, slings a couple of tow hooks up on the flatbed, hopefully don’t hit your wheels putting a ding in them and then Drives it to the dealer unloads it (gingerly of course with white gloves on). Now you get a ride to the dealer the next day after it sat in their lot overnight because this happened after hours of course, and now you have the pleasant experience of going inside and explaining what happened for the fifth time. They shout across the garage, “ Hey Joe!, you done putting those brakes on that Cavalier? here’s one of those new Corvettes I want you to look at”. He comes over and scratches his head and says, “ Oh this has one of those double clutch things doesn’t it. So for the first time he gets to tear into this Tremec tranny. He has the porter get it in and they start hoisting it in the air...
I could go on and on.
so yes this does concern me. Not my definition of reassurance that it has a warranty.
You are worried way too much about this. I guess I don’t sweat the small things. The possibility of this happening to you or me are slim. But if it does we will deal with it then
Old 02-23-2020, 07:48 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,773 Likes on 4,693 Posts

I would.
So you shell out 85k drive it a month or two and the trans locks up. You call a tow truck and the driver shows up hooks up a cable and drags your new Corvette screeching across the pavement, slings a couple of tow hooks up on the flatbed, hopefully don’t hit your wheels putting a ding in them and then Drives it to the dealer unloads it (gingerly of course with white gloves on). Now you get a ride to the dealer the next day after it sat in their lot overnight because this happened after hours of course, and now you have the pleasant experience of going inside and explaining what happened for the fifth time. They shout across the garage, “ Hey Joe!, you done putting those brakes on that Cavalier? here’s one of those new Corvettes I want you to look at”. He comes over and scratches his head and says, “ Oh this has one of those double clutch things doesn’t it. So for the first time he gets to tear into this Tremec tranny. He has the porter get it in and they start hoisting it in the air...
I could go on and on.
so yes this does concern me. Not my definition of reassurance that it has a warranty.
Great story, too bad it wouldn't happen that way. I sold new GM cars for over ten years and I guarantee you when a new model has a major component failure, I.E. engine or transmission, the shop is not allowed to open it at all. They send a crate, you remove it and send it to them. they have their engineers and techs take it apart to see why it failed. I've seen this procedure done first hand, no guessing.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:49 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffro19
You are worried way too much about this. I guess I don’t sweat the small things. The possibility of this happening to you or me are slim. But if it does we will deal with it then
The problem is warranty runs out and what after. You can have doubts about this issue ever being fixed what ever it is. They have had these cars built for years and still having issues is not a good sign, that is if there is an issue.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:52 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Originally Posted by sprayer
The problem is warranty runs out and what after. You can have doubts about this issue ever being fixed what ever it is. They have had these cars built for years and still having issues is not a good sign, that is if there is an issue.
Drive train is 5 years/60,000 miles, if it really has an issue, it will for sure rear its head in that time frame.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:55 PM
Propspinner
Pro

Received 738 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil1098
Great story, too bad it wouldn't happen that way. I sold new GM cars for over ten years and I guarantee you when a new model has a major component failure, I.E. engine or transmission, the shop is not allowed to open it at all. They send a crate, you remove it and send it to them. they have their engineers and techs take it apart to see why it failed. I've seen this procedure done first hand, no guessing.
well that’s a little more reassuring. It would be a nightmare with my luck. Lol
Old 02-23-2020, 08:11 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Phil1098
Drive train is 5 years/60,000 miles, if it really has an issue, it will for sure rear its head in that time frame.
I understand that. But replacing a defective part with another defective part means sooner or later you will be out of warranty with a part that will fail again.

Which is why warranties on that part should start again with a 5yr warranty not just remaining time left. For example if your dct goes at 58months. You should get 60months from that date, not 2 months.

Last edited by sprayer; 02-23-2020 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:17 PM
Propspinner
Pro

Originally Posted by MCSeverino
For all anyone knows, Chevy could have been beating the ever living **** out of it, or trying to intentionally induce faults.
yeah out on Woodward a public street where police are everywhere. Just like those two test pilots from Bowling Green who don’t have jobs anymore. Yeah that’s it.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:19 PM
Propspinner
Pro

A little more info.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:20 PM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

One out of hundreds. Pretty great ratio I’d say.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:22 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Originally Posted by FringbirdAloha
One out of hundreds. Pretty great ratio I’d say.
How do we know that. The countless others that nobody knows or no photos.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:29 PM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

How do we know that. The countless others that nobody knows or no photos.
Didn’t take long to see you have a long history of C8 bashing on CF.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:31 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,110 Likes on 523 Posts

Column lock issues on my C5 and of course the first year LS6 “ oil burner “ fun. C6 LS7 dropped valves. C7 A8 issues and z06 over heat issues and of course the always fun GS/z06 bent wheels.

They are mass produced cars at a low price point for what they are. It happens. Most of us accept it. For the most part they do what we want them to do. Any problems you just deal with it.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:32 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Originally Posted by FringbirdAloha
Didn’t take long to see you have a long history of C8 bashing on CF.
You posted something like it is a fact yet have absolutely no hard evidence it is like that. So you resort back to something else now. Love it good on ya champ hope you feel better.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:35 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Originally Posted by z06inVB
Column lock issues on my C5 and of course the first year LS6 “ oil burner “ fun. C6 LS7 dropped valves. C7 A8 issues and z06 over heat issues and of course the always fun GS/z06 bent wheels.

They are mass produced cars at a low price point for what they are. It happens. Most of us accept it. For the most part they do what we want them to do. Any problems you just deal with it.
Did GM ever fix the LS7 valve issues? Nope so that warranty is pretty much useless because you know what will happen if they are not addressed. One of the reasons why the you have a warranty don't worry about it means nothing.

Last edited by sprayer; 02-23-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:40 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,110 Likes on 523 Posts

Did GM ever fix the LS7 valve issues? Nope so that warranty is pretty much useless because you know what will happen if they are not addressed. One of the reasons why the you have a warranty don't worry about it means nothing.
Nope they didn’t. They just stall. Same with the wheel issues. Hell after multiple tries at fixing a simple column lock the final answer was to defeat or remove it.

It’s a Chevy. Crap happens. Not saying it’s right but that’s how it works with them.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:45 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Nope they didn’t. They just stall. Same with the wheel issues. Hell after multiple tries at fixing a simple column lock the final answer was to defeat or remove it.

It’s a Chevy. Crap happens. Not saying it’s right but that’s how it works with them.
​​​​​​Yet you have people who will defend them till they turn blue. I think these people need to experience something similar. GM is corrupt as much as the people in prison, yet they get away with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Concerning photo

Old 02-23-2020, 09:04 PM
Patriot10
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

My '98 Z28 with the almighty LS1 engine had:

-seat wear in the leather driver's seat from sliding in/out of the car
-cheap plastic galore, with what looked like scratches from a woman's high heel on the passenger side floor trim
-twist marks near the near hatch supports from the massive torque created when burning rubber
-leaking rear differential

I still loved that car from day one until the day I sold it. Zero regrets.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:26 PM
nyca
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 139 Posts

Hard to know what to make of this.

But note what does the term "seized" mean here? The ZF automatics used all over the place on BMWs, Alfas, etc - have a failure mode such that if you cannot start the engine, you cannot put the transmission in neutral. You have to screw a service bolt (that few people have) into the transmission body from underneath the car to put it in neutral to be able to move it. It's a common complaint on boards from people who have that transmission, and people says it's "seized" when what really happens is that some electrical system/battery issue results in not being able to start the car, and then you can't move it out of Park. Nothing is actually wrong with the transmission. Some BMWs use to have an emergency pull rod below the gearshift to be able to do this from inside the car, but they have since eliminated that.

How do you put this DCT into neutral if you can't start the C8?
The following users liked this post:
V RED 08 (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 10:03 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

A little more info.
Actually a LOT more info. It was stuck in park, it wasn't seized or locked up. I have had other cars that were stuck in park, that doesn't say scary to me. That can be a brake shift interlock or a multitude of insignificant things. If it won't come out of park you are still stuck, I get that, but it doesn't necessarily mean a transmission failure. That bit of news is actually good news, thanks!
The following 4 users liked this post by Phil1098:
ArmchairArchitect (02-24-2020), ElisTwoCents (02-24-2020), Jeffthunbird (02-24-2020), Propspinner (02-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Concerning photo