Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 07:38 AM
Litshopofguitars
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracy
No, you DID NOT have a similar problem with your C6 manual. There is nothing remotely similar about the transmissions, so why did you feel compelled to say such an irrelevant thing here?

I once had a flat tire in my 2003 Z06. Hopefully GM will do something about these damn flat tires, because I'm really bummed out that this same type of problem might be popping it's ugly head in with the new C8 tires......
you are so right!!!!🤣
The following 2 users liked this post by Litshopofguitars:
fullback (04-19-2020), stevesvette (01-09-2023)
Old 04-11-2020, 07:39 AM
carriccp
Burning Brakes

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by MauiC8
Posted by cariccp:

“Mine has been a bit of a problem child with backup camera issues, and they have been nothing but great. First it was going blue, so they replaced the camera and checked connections. Now it’s flickering, so the video module is going to be replaced.“
Originally Posted by carriccp
This may actually be a non-issue. The plan was to replace the video module since it was flickering at the dealer (I didn't actually see it go blue during PDI or flicker when picking up), but since I've had it home and driving it for 2 days it's been working perfectly.
Following back up on this, after driving some more I've had the issue pop up a couple times with the camera display showing blue. When it does it, both rear and front cameras do not work (rearview mirror still works) for a period of time and then they will work again. When it happens, it usually works when I reverse, then will stop working, then start working again sometime later while still driving. I haven't been able to recreate anything that makes it start/stop working. The module to replace it is apparently backordered and the dealer can't get as of now. All connections were checked during initial PDI and the rear camera itself changed, so it's either the module or a damaged wire somewhere in the harness.
The following 2 users liked this post by carriccp:
CorvetteBrent (01-03-2021), hippiefreak67 (11-18-2021)
Old 04-11-2020, 10:22 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,765 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Carriccp - sorry to hear that. hopefully it's the module and the new one takes care of it. but if it isn't and the new module does the same thing? that's where your dealer will be huge. I purchased a brand new Pontiac GXP in 2005 one of the first in the state.. didn't care about it being the first year etc. within 90 miles i was getting a ton of lights and a no start condition. Dealer couldn't find the issue as it was intermittent (worst feeling in the world having a brand new car and not knowing if it would start..).

The best tech they had was able to track down the pinched wire under the carpet to a yaw sensor under the center console... I made the mistake of going to see this in person..

My advice to you is if it turns out to be something like a wiring issue? decline the chance to go and look if they want to boast about finding it. it was like looking down there after childbirth... some things you just CAN'T unsee!

it will work out and thankfully, your issue is a minor nuisance and not detrimental to driving it.. best of luck look fwd to the outcome.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:23 AM
Lon frank
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"DON'T LOOK...LIKE CHILDBIRTH"!!!???? ARE U KIDDIN' ME??!!! THIS FORUM IS...................................... ....................V'V'V' SICK!!!! lon frank, over & our I hope...per some useless monitor guy, acking like a GIRL!!!
Old 04-12-2020, 08:24 AM
Lon frank
4th Gear

I meant out!!!
Old 04-12-2020, 08:21 PM
C8PRO
Heel & Toe

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Transmission problem

Well, I requested a separate thread for transmission issues? But it didn’t last long...

so here it goes the combined post...

On 3/22/2020 just before reaching my first 400 miles the transmission started only changing from gears 2-4-6-8.... turned off and on and same issue... later on the way back home (good thing I was close to home) it wouldn’t change from gear 2 for a while than it started again back to head 2-4-6-8... its like the car doesn’t recognize gears 1-3-5-7. I guess it’s the price to pay for been in the first batch of production.... I’ll be contacting my dealer tomorrow....

Couldn’t help my self and restarted the car and back to normal.... I didn’t try putting it in reverse the first time... but in any case just drove the car for some 20 miles and just like if nothing ever happened😁!!!! Happy for that but concerned about when will this issue shows again 😟....

If anyone has experienced something similar, please reply and let me know...

Besides this issue the car has been just pure joy... perfect in every way....

I will keep updates as GM is contacted and I get information about this issue!!!

On 3/24/2020 got my car serviced got my car serviced, they believe it has to do with the car learning the driver patterns and so on. They uploaded a refresh update in my odd gears into the system and most importantly I got my car back the same day!!!! I will inform periodically on this situation.. my hope is that all is good and taken care now!!!! C8 rocks and yes I will be in line to buy it again.. it’s beyond imagination...🏎❤️It!!! 😀

The technician was able to recover 3 codes (P0700, P2838, P2839) if anyone can help me understand what they mean that will be awesome...

With intense help from GM tech support, the transmission programming for odd gears was reset and reloaded. GM believes it is possible that is related to the learning mode and so on...

Now is 3/29/2020 and my car had the same transmission issue Again.

To keep it short, On 3/31/2020 my corvette went to service department for a full transmission replacement. My odd/even gear issue reappeared and GM immediately decided to swap the transmission and to send back my transmission for forensic work. Apparently they have identified a failure with something inside the transmission preventing the odd gears to engage and only keep changing bt even gears.

While I am not happy about having to go thru this, I commend GM for the decision to replace the transmission and to send it back to fully understand this issue to prevent a potential painful recall situation in the future. I wish GM technical support contact me directly for a dialog on my situation and for ways they can compensate me for this very unfortunate situation.

I will keep posting as get more updates.

It is now 4/12/2020 and my car is still in the local dealership service waiting for the replacement to happen. It took several days (almost 2 weeks) for GM to authorize the transmission work....

I will be reaching GM this week to discuss my situation.

I will keep posting periodically.

Best, C8PRO
The following 11 users liked this post by C8PRO:
23/C8Z (04-15-2020), captaingary76 (06-17-2022), CorvetteBrent (01-03-2021), fullback (04-19-2020), hippiefreak67 (11-18-2021), nhlgopens (07-13-2021), Ralph Rader (04-26-2020), Rmbert (02-22-2021), SlingShotYellow (04-13-2020), Tracy (04-12-2020), usr5000 (12-18-2020) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-12-2020, 08:38 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I experienced a similar situation at my dealer waiting for authorization and parts to repair my C7. It was on a lift for over 3 weeks.
l feel your pain and hope your car is repaired soon and correctly.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:55 PM
museautoproject
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here are a few of the issues we've experienced so far:

- Hardware missing EVERYWHERE
- Paint chip on front bumper from contact with headlight
- Paint drips along edges of certain panels
- Did we mention all of the missing hardware?
The following 2 users liked this post by museautoproject:
pdr (04-26-2020), usr5000 (12-18-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 09:01 PM
bvontress
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 59 Posts

I had a leak in the rear of my car. Took it in to the dealer and it was a leaky seal on a hydraulic transmission mount. They said they'd have the part the next day to replace. I got a call late in that day and they said that they had decided to not replace it with the same part. There had been a part that superseded the previous one. They were shipping that and it would add a couple of days, but it would be resolved permenantly.
The following 2 users liked this post by bvontress:
CorvetteBrent (01-03-2021), usr5000 (12-18-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 11:37 PM
Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 407 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by C8PRO
Well, I requested a separate thread for transmission issues? But it didn’t last long...
Agreed. My opinion is that the DCT will not become a long term, problematic issue. I believe that GM did its homework and the trans is good and reliable, with brutal performance improvements over manual or slushbox transmissions. But because it's such a new thing for the Corvette, and because the 'no manual" haters are lurking around the edges of their keyboards to attack the DCT, a full and separate thread--heavily patrolled by the moderators to weed out the haters and knuckleheads--would be a useful thing for the Forum.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:53 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,535 Posts

The following 4 users liked this post by C8Jake:
fullback (04-19-2020), hippiefreak67 (11-18-2021), rmorin1249 (04-13-2020), VNAMVET (05-01-2021)
Old 04-13-2020, 12:44 PM
theweeb
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts

Two quality issues so far. Passenger side dash stitching is a bit off, not as bad as the examples shown earlier tho.

Passenger door panel has a bump or bubble along the top edge that is annoying as hell.

Appointment with dealership tomorrow morning to address.

VIN 1576, built on 2/20, delivered 3/12.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:17 PM
C8broughtmeback
Burning Brakes

Received 792 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by theweeb
Two quality issues so far. Passenger side dash stitching is a bit off, not as bad as the examples shown earlier tho.

Passenger door panel has a bump or bubble along the top edge that is annoying as hell.

Appointment with dealership tomorrow morning to address.

VIN 1576, built on 2/20, delivered 3/12.

2LT or 3LT trim?
Old 04-13-2020, 08:31 PM
Ed Biancarelli
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Had the same problem once . Turned off the A/C to confirm it was the A/C cooling radiator fan. Has not done it again since. Maybe a clearance issue or as my dealer said if its the first time the fan may have had some rust on the shaft.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:20 AM
theweeb
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by C8broughtmeback
2LT or 3LT trim?
2LT

Update, just came back from the dealership, GM authorized replacement of both, parts on order.

Also had them send pics of the paint, which I feel has excessive orange peel. That claim is pending.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:35 AM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 8-speed Tremec M1L dual-clutch

[QUOTE=Tracy;1601292318]No, you DID NOT have a similar problem with your C6 manual. There is nothing remotely similar about the transmissions, so why did you feel compelled to say such an irrelevant thing here?

It seems to me that the C8 Corvette is a completely new car,, total redesign, There's always problems with new models, I've been there more than once. There never been anything like the C8 in the USA, or any where else when one considers the price. . Right now I'm pondering , should I wait and order a 2021 ? But what models will be out? typically I only own Corvette Convertibles - I have two Converts older but not abused..

Me, I've been pondering, wait for a C8 Covert, or get a C2 Convert,, I've been Jones'g for a '67 C2 Convert for a few years, I should have Never sold the last one... I looked for quite a while for a project car of one that's been modified. DIY,,, Put a new frame under your with modern alloy suspension and do it up nice with a LSX and Tremic 6 speed. I never did find one, so I'm building something else, same parts. Still a C8 is so very tempting. I'm really wondering about the cost of insurance..

I wish the Corvette Division would offer bare bones C8's,, delete the Luxury items. I like the basics, a base C8 for me would be none of the electric luxuries, none - I can adjust my mirrors, seats, put the top down, roll the windows up, turn the lights. To much electronics and a massing amount of wiring for me, and I'm a retire Electronic Engineer . A Bare Bones C8,, Now that's a one that I would be very interested in owning. I would never Drag race a C8, 1/4 etc racing. But, Track Fun at PIR,, maybe but just for fun, fear I'd bash a fender or worse. Each new Corvette Model brought more to the race tracks, and did well.

The C8 maiden race at Daytona #3 finished 4th place in the GTLM, outstanding. That's not often accomplished.

the C8 transmission,, cut away photos below...

I understand the Paddle shifting, If your going to shift fast and accurately, at the track race, and compete against the Euro super cars, Street or race, I see no other choice and it's not new. either. I prefer manuals trans, I don't own a car with an automatic ! But I'd like to at least have a clutch for coming of a dead stop, just because. I'm not going to be surprised when someone Hacks into the Clutch control and installs a clutch pedal. Probably an electronic model operating simulator to the DBW throttle. I suppose that could be done with the shifting, but it would most than likely be electronic as well, But better than a Game Controller. Time will tell.

The 2020 C8 Corvette 8-speed Tremec M1L dual-clutch, quite similar to a manual transmission if one just looks at the gears. Developed by GM and Tremic in a joint design. Nothing close to the typical automatic transmission. See photos.

The C8 MIL transmission doesn't have the typical Automotive Automatic Transmission Clutch packs or Torque Converter for instance. Why the Corvette Division or whom ever decided to name this trans an automatic is Beyond me. They had to know it would create controversy.

There are gears in this transmission just like a manual, odds and one end and evens at the other. One can search and find many videos on how they are shifted. The big difference is the We don't get to mechanical change gears

The clutch is a clutch, and C8 has a dual. But we don't get to use a pedal. It's nothing like an automatic trans clutches, they should have an option for a Clutch even if it's Clutch-by- Wire, at least from a dead start. Isn't that where the F1 cars started with...

A C8 is a wonderful Corvette, but right now I'm leaning towards a C2 Convert...

Here's some photos for those who haven't' seen them..

Michael..

​​​​​​​
The following 7 users liked this post by Capt Mike:
00521 (01-05-2022), bartruff1 (08-10-2021), captaingary76 (06-17-2022), Carbonfootprint (11-02-2021), ImpliedConsent (04-17-2020), nolodian (05-08-2020), sanman55 (12-25-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-14-2020, 02:42 PM
tdrake2020
Pro

Received 321 Likes on 134 Posts

[QUOTE=Capt Mike;1601321671][QUOTE=The clutch is a clutch, and C8 has a dual. But we don't get to use a pedal. It's nothing like an automatic trans clutches, they should have an option for a Clutch even if it's Clutch-by- Wire, at least from a dead start. Isn't that where the F1 cars started with...

A C8 is a wonderful Corvette, but right now I'm leaning towards a C2 Convert...
[/QUOTE]

I really don't have a clue why you're comparing a 1960's C2 against a C8 and then talk about having GM retro the C8 back to 1963? A lot of rambling at best. As far as the "Clutch-by-Wire" goes the C8 does have that by holding both paddles at the same time.

Last edited by tdrake2020; 04-14-2020 at 02:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BeeGeeDay (12-04-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To C8 problems

Old 04-14-2020, 08:13 PM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

"""I really don't have a clue why you're comparing a 1960's C2 against a C8 and then talk about having GM retro the C8 back to 1963? """"

Not any comparison given !!.

I'm simply saying that I love both cars, but I'm leaning towards another C2 Convertible purchase.

I'm quite aware of the engineering difference, there vastly different. I'm quite familiar with C1 through C6 Wiring and Electronics. I'm a retired Electronic Engineer, It's my Forte.
The following users liked this post:
00521 (01-05-2022)
Old 04-15-2020, 01:30 AM
Lashedup
Pro

Received 525 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by museautoproject
Here are a few of the issues we've experienced so far:

- Hardware missing EVERYWHERE
- Paint chip on front bumper from contact with headlight
- Paint drips along edges of certain panels
- Did we mention all of the missing hardware?
Just curious what hardware is missing? Any pics of paint drips?
The following 3 users liked this post by Lashedup:
23/C8Z (04-15-2020), DTXMATRIX8 (09-18-2022), Skunk Ape (12-06-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 08:58 AM
robh0377
2nd Gear

` I think every new car should have childhood illnesses. However, it's not about assembly quality

Quick Reply: C8 problems