Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Ferrari?? Let's check out the C8!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 11:52 PM
mikegrr
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't want to be flamed, but if you sit back far enough and squint your eyes...they don't look that all that different. Yes, the details are different, but the 3 part open front end, tear drop head lights, aggressive hood, scoop in the rear quarter, 5 piece wheels with red calipers, distinctive side mirrors, low profile..etc.
Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the new C8 and I'm a C7 owner.
Yeah, I know all cars have wheels, hoods, and tires, but, I don't know, is the C8 a derivative of the Ferrari? . The C8 is still a beautiful car and tremendous engineering at a great price! But, is the hood ornament of the Ferrari worth 200K?
It is if you can afford it.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:29 AM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegrr
I don't want to be flamed, but if you sit back far enough and squint your eyes...they don't look that all that different. Yes, the details are different, but the 3 part open front end, tear drop head lights, aggressive hood, scoop in the rear quarter, 5 piece wheels with red calipers, distinctive side mirrors, low profile..etc.
Yeah, I know all cars have wheels, hoods, and tires, but, I don't know, is the C8 a derivative of the Ferrari? . The C8 is still a beautiful car and tremendous engineering at a great price! But, is the hood ornament of the Ferrari worth 200K?
I’m not very brand loyal so there are lots of Ferrari’s I don’t really like. Hate the FF/Lusso, don’t like the California/Portifino, and I like the look of the Roma but as the “base” car I expect it to have severe depreciation so if I choose to pick one up it’ll be second hand.
The following users liked this post:
NFARVW (04-06-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 05:42 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Triple Black
I don’t like the way they do the roll test. They put each car in the same gear at the same MPH, which isn’t the correct way to do that. They need to put each car in the lowest gear then test from different MPHs. That’s the only way to do it right. I’ve done it like that with lots of different cars. Can’t speak on the AMG GTR, but I’ve smoked the AMG GTS with super ease.
Agreed. This bit of stupidity makes me take a dim view of their methodology across the board:
McLaren in Comfort Mode and 6th gear? Lol. Yeah, no.

Simple roll race from say 60 mph in the lowest gear each car can reasonably take. That's how people line up for real-world roll races.

This bi
Old 04-07-2020, 05:47 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bwright
Agreed. This bit of stupidity makes me take a dim view of their methodology across the board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHgh4_1ksGQ McLaren in Comfort Mode and 6th gear? Lol. Yeah, no.

Simple roll race from say 60 mph in the lowest gear each car can reasonably take. That's how people line up for real-world roll races.

This bi
LoL exactly. But I am glad you got to experience a Z and NSX in person. They’re both great cars and can’t go wrong with either. However I do believe the NSX defies the les of physics lol. It’s by far the easiest car to drive fast I’ve ever had.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:56 PM
gowenfast
Le Mans Master

Received 825 Likes on 431 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 C1 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '21

I’m not very brand loyal so there are lots of Ferrari’s I don’t really like. Hate the FF/Lusso, don’t like the California/Portifino, and I like the look of the Roma but as the “base” car I expect it to have severe depreciation so if I choose to pick one up it’ll be second hand.
Own a '14 458 Ferrari. It's a good compromise to new..488's suck
NFARVW (05-23-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 06:13 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gowenfast
I’m all about the 458. I live the sound of that N/A V8. I was wanting to pick one up sooner but man they didn’t depreciate as bad as I thought they would lol. I’ll likely say screw it and get one within the next year or two assuming the market goes back to at all normal.

I’d live to have a 458 Speciale but I’m afraid I’d drive it too much when it’s more of a collector car. Not to mention costing more than twice that of a regular 458.
NFARVW (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 06:31 AM
NFARVW
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 157 Posts

I’m all about the 458. I live the sound of that N/A V8. I was wanting to pick one up sooner but man they didn’t depreciate as bad as I thought they would lol. I’ll likely say screw it and get one within the next year or two assuming the market goes back to at all normal.

I’d live to have a 458 Speciale but I’m afraid I’d drive it too much when it’s more of a collector car. Not to mention costing more than twice that of a regular 458.
THIS.

Back in November/December I was looking at 458's daily. I knew every single 2015 example for sale inside and out. Thats all I wanted after trading up from a 2014 Cali30 HS. Then I test drove a 570S…oops lol. I couldn't justify spending $180K on a 5 year old car (9 year old platform) when I could get a 570S Track Pack for the same money. The carbon monocell2, safety, performance, doors, everything was better…well, except the exhaust note.

That being said, there is something about a car that sounds fast and gives you that thrill without going 140mph everywhere like the 570S makes you do. A 458 is a great balance of 2010 era performance, offering a great in town toy to wring out. I've been watching them and the prices haven't dropped a smidge and the spiders still command a 30-40K premium over a coupe. I'm not sure we will ever see a 2015 (last year) example coupe in the 140-150K range. There is just too much demand for them. Dammit lol.

Last edited by NFARVW; 04-08-2020 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:18 AM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NFARVW
THIS.

Back in November/December I was looking at 458's daily. I knew every single 2015 example for sale inside and out. Thats all I wanted after trading up from a 2014 Cali30 HS. Then I test drove a 570S…oops lol. I couldn't justify spending $180K on a 5 year old car (9 year old platform) when I could get a 570S Track Pack for the same money. The carbon monocell2, safety, performance, doors, everything was better…well, except the exhaust note.

That being said, there is something about a car that sounds fast and gives you that thrill without going 140mph everywhere like the 570S makes you do. A 458 is a great balance of 2010 era performance, offering a great in town toy to wring out. I've been watching them and the prices haven't dropped a smidge and the spiders still command a 30-40K premium over a coupe. I'm not sure we will ever see a 2015 (last year) example coupe in the 140-150K range. There is just too much demand for them. Dammit lol.
Man I figured I’d be able to get a decent coupe right now between 120-140. Most of the specs I like are coming out between 180-200. And as you said spending that for a car that came out in 2010 just seems dumb. But hey, it’s the last N/A V8 mid engine Ferrari we’ll likely ever see. The last best sounding Ferrari we’ll hear. And it’s not like the car is slow, it’s just we as people know how much faster a car like a 488, 600LT, 720S, is. But something about the 458 just speaks to me so I’m going to have to suck it up and just bite the bullet eventually.

Last edited by Mr Triple Black; 04-08-2020 at 08:21 AM.
NFARVW (05-23-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 08:28 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by gowenfast
Amazing, people spend 400 grand for a car that "sucks".
Old 04-08-2020, 10:05 AM
NFARVW
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 157 Posts

Man I figured I’d be able to get a decent coupe right now between 120-140. Most of the specs I like are coming out between 180-200. And as you said spending that for a car that came out in 2010 just seems dumb. But hey, it’s the last N/A V8 mid engine Ferrari we’ll likely ever see. The last best sounding Ferrari we’ll hear. And it’s not like the car is slow, it’s just we as people know how much faster a car like a 488, 600LT, 720S, is. But something about the 458 just speaks to me so I’m going to have to suck it up and just bite the bullet eventually.
Yeah, you know how they say you shouldn't meet your hero's? Thats the only thing keeping me from buying one. I want to experience the other exotics available and run through them all BEFORE I pickup a 458 as my plan would be to keep the 458 for the long haul and I'd hate to be kept wondering what "could have been" wondering what other cars are like. I still remember when that car debuted and I'm just as breathless today when I see one as the day it came out. It's the most proportionally correct car Pininfarina ever laid their hands on. It's pure beauty backed with an amazing powertrain. I've driven them and each time its been a blast! Theres just something special about the 458. Like you, I'd go for the higher spec'd 2015 for the true last year of production and to have all the early year kinks worked out.

Last edited by NFARVW; 04-08-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:29 AM
MaryAnnB
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
I

The 488 goes back to 2010. Its been replaced with this.... the F8 -- which also is a modified 488.

I didn't look at the cars for a while and I thought this was C8.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:38 AM
MaryAnnB
Racer

Originally Posted by fpfaeth
I believe the 488 goes back to model year 2015, not 2010. A 2018 version sits in my garage and will have a C8 as its partner. If you like cars, you will find excellence in both.
It goes back to 2009. It is just a 458.
Even F8 Tributo is the same, with only a rear uplift.

F8 - 488 Pista

Attached Images   
Old 05-23-2020, 06:39 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 404 Posts

A Rolls is a Rolls, a Rolex is a Rolex, a Ferrari is a Ferrari, and a Corvette is a Corvette. They are each very different entities with distinct properties that differ from their competitors. Many of them are also classics in a number of respects.

There are competing cars that outperform both the Ferraris and the Corvettes, but said level of performance doesn’t remotely make those cars either a Corvette or a Ferrari in any way. In that same vein, a Corvette is not a Ferrari and vice versa.

I’ve never had a friend or acquaintance brag or pretend that their Ferrari was a Corvette or equal to a Corvette. I wish the reverse were true because such behaviors simply demean the Corvette community and all that they represent.

Be proud of your cars without pretense and allow others to do the same and please lose these most egregious pretenses that because your toy cost more or less than someone else’s toy, yours is the better toy. The free market does not license equivocation and neither should any of us.

Last edited by B747VET; 05-23-2020 at 06:49 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by B747VET:
64drvr (05-24-2020), ByRiver (05-23-2020), gowenfast (05-23-2020), Klakeman (05-23-2020), KombatKing (05-23-2020), Parcival (05-23-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-23-2020, 07:00 PM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by B747VET
A Rolls is a Rolls, a Rolex is a Rolex, a Ferrari is a Ferrari, and a Corvette is a Corvette. They are each very different entities with distinct properties that differ from their competitors. Many of them are also classics in a number of respects.

There are competing cars that outperform both the Ferraris and the Corvettes, but said level of performance doesn’t remotely make those cars either a Corvette or a Ferrari in any way. In that same vein, a Corvette is not a Ferrari and vice versa.

I’ve never had a friend or acquaintance brag or pretend that their Ferrari was a Corvette or equal to a Corvette. I wish the reverse were true because such behaviors simply demean the Corvette community and all that they represent.

Be proud of your cars without pretense and allow others to do the same and please lose these most egregious pretenses that because your toy cost more or less than someone else’s toy, yours is the better toy. The free market does not license equivocation and neither should any of us.
Bout sums it up.
Klakeman (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 07:12 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by B747VET

This is bound to happen since it happened to previous two Vette gens:

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/bu...ette-stingray/
Old 05-23-2020, 08:14 PM
Donatella
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegrr
It's funny I passed a 458 the other day coming towards me in the opposite lane and he waved.....I guess he couldn't tell the difference...
Old 05-23-2020, 09:09 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 614 Likes on 422 Posts

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like duck, then it must be a duck.

Not hardly.

Get notified of new replies

To What Ferrari?? Let's check out the C8!

Old 05-24-2020, 01:28 AM
MaryAnnB
Racer

Originally Posted by Donatella
It's funny I passed a 458 the other day coming towards me in the opposite lane and he waved.....I guess he couldn't tell the difference...
Because it is the same. The only difference is that one was on the streets for 11 years.

Originally Posted by MaryAnnB

Last edited by MaryAnnB; 05-24-2020 at 01:41 AM.
gowenfast (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 02:21 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

The C8 is to the F8 like the Fiero was to the 308.

Last edited by White Out; 05-24-2020 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:17 AM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

At risk of bringing him back by saying his name 3 times like Beetlejuice, where has NCD been?

Quick Reply: What Ferrari?? Let's check out the C8!