Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 vs. Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 09:44 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,933 Likes on 4,753 Posts

I remember rolling my eyes at the first Porsche SUV and thinking, oh yeah, that's gonna work , turns out I was 100% wrong. They sell way more SUVs than sports cars. That Maserati SUV is very good looking BTW.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:33 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,779 Likes on 6,729 Posts

^^^
In Porsche (VW) case it was different. We bought an early Cayenne. Recall their ad that said, "We looked and 80% of our sports car customers had SUV's so we thought why can't it be one of ours!"

BUT unlike GM, VW didn't have a great image that folks were proud to own. So they make the Cayenne (and Macan) in the same plants that make similar VW's and Audi's. Yep, they have different engines and interiors and some different sheet metal. GM has lots of SUV's at various price levels. GM has plenty under the Chevy name. They have many different engines but they are all marketed under the Chevy name. For Caddy and Buick dealers they supply Chevy trucks from the same plants with the GMC name.

IMO, Caddy did a terrible job with SUVs. Wife had a CTS and wanted an SUV. Looked at the Caddy offerings at the time, and she (nor I) liked any. And they have a great dealer in town. From the Cayenne she has had two BMW X5 SUVs. The only time I mentioned the Caddy was to the BMW salesman when negotiating for the last X5. After I said what price I was willing to pay, he rejected my offer. I then said, "We'll have to see what King Cadillac will offer!" Got my price! Neither the wife or I would have bought a Caddy SUV.

Frankly don't see that logic fits Maserati SUV.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-27-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:55 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil1098
I remember rolling my eyes at the first Porsche SUV and thinking, oh yeah, that's gonna work , turns out I was 100% wrong. They sell way more SUVs than sports cars. That Maserati SUV is very good looking BTW.
Yeah, we laughed at the first Cayenne back around '03 or '04, we bought one the end of last year. Very nice vehicle but certainly not worth the price, should have purchased an Escalade for the same money.

Last edited by punky; 04-27-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:10 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Originally Posted by JerryU
IMO, Caddy did a terrible job with SUVs. Wife had a CTS and wanted an SUV. Looked at the Caddy offerings at the time, and she (nor I) liked any. And they have a great dealer in town. From the Cayenne she has had two BMW X5 SUVs.
You guys must be living right, the owner of the company I work for had an X5 for his company car and it honestly was a total POS. He has sworn off the brand because of it. The thing was street driven only (never once off road) and at 50k miles had to have all new control arm bushings, at 80k all new half shafts with CV joints at all four corners. The cream on top was when his daughter drove it and bumped a vehicle that started to go but stopped and she didn't look again. Hit it at a few mph, broke a plastic front fender and a headlight assembly. $14k worth of damage. No air bags popped, just a fender bender. The one headlight assembly was $4k. Just stupid.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:31 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

You guys must be living right, the owner of the company I work for had an X5 for his company car and it honestly was a total POS. He has sworn off the brand because of it. The thing was street driven only (never once off road) and at 50k miles had to have all new control arm bushings, at 80k all new half shafts with CV joints at all four corners. The cream on top was when his daughter drove it and bumped a vehicle that started to go but stopped and she didn't look again. Hit it at a few mph, broke a plastic front fender and a headlight assembly. $14k worth of damage. No air bags popped, just a fender bender. The one headlight assembly was $4k. Just stupid.
This is the X5 experience that I have heard many stories about over the years along with Range Rover horror stories. We have had a couple Cadillac XT5s which were both great and 100% reliable. The Cadillac Escalade is still the king of SUVs in my book, they are just awesome.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:56 AM
C7ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 372 Posts

In my book anyone who is on the beautiful C8 section and talks how much better Ferrari is ( it’s not )
is a kiss *** p..... boy

so any one of you here taking crap on the corvette section about the vette are kiss asses, and you know you are deep down.

some of you only seen a Ferrari parked I have owned and driven them most of my life,
I am Proud corvette owner now.

Continue......

The following users liked this post:
punky (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 11:57 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,779 Likes on 6,729 Posts

As I said this is the wife's 2nd BMW X5 SUV. Not a bit of trouble with either other than an airbag recall. The BMW service folks are great and separate from the Chevy and Mercedes franchises they also have. All in the same area but the BMW service gives you an option of coffee type, free shacks and soft chairs! The Chevy service waiting area is typical, free coffee that's been sitting in the pot for a while and put money in the vending machine for snacks! I do my own Vette oil changes and have for my C6, 2014 Z51 and my current Grand Sport so have only had to use it a few times!

The Cyanine service was typical Porsche, excellent and very expensive. $250 for an oil/filter change and "checking stuff." At 4 years was quoted new rotors and brake pads for $2600! They actually looked fine. Traded it on the 1st BMW. Perhaps since the BMWs are built in SC, we get the best of the bunch! My neighbor, (also a car buff, who restored three TR3's, one a 99 point car he trailers to Shows. He drove one in SCCA races when in college) feels as I do, his wife's BMW X5 has been great!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-27-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:14 PM
john91498
Melting Slicks

Received 821 Likes on 407 Posts

I felt the same way about the Panamera. A 4 door Porsche???? No way...
Old 04-27-2020, 12:39 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Originally Posted by john91498
I felt the same way about the Panamera. A 4 door Porsche???? No way...
Although I don't think Panameras hold their value as well as other Porsche models. Might be wrong, haven't researched it, but at a glance that appears to be the case.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:43 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by C7ZO6
In my book anyone who is on the beautiful C8 section and talks how much better Ferrari is ( it’s not )
is a kiss *** p..... boy

so any one of you here taking crap on the corvette section about the vette are kiss asses, and you know you are deep down.

some of you only seen a Ferrari parked I have owned and driven them most of my life,
I am Proud corvette owner now.

Continue......
Great post Man.
I love reading this type of post here that puts haters and the losers who have their so called exotic and rip on Corvettes after they realize that the status symbol in their garage does little more for them than drain their wallet and take up space.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:52 PM
JillyBean
Burning Brakes

Received 668 Likes on 385 Posts

Although I don't think Panameras hold their value as well as other Porsche models. Might be wrong, haven't researched it, but at a glance that appears to be the case.

Before I had my model X tesla performance version. I had a Panamera Turbo as a DD. It was the best sedan I’ve ever owned hands-down better than any BMW M series or AMG Mercedes. I enjoyed it much more than my 2005 911 Turbo S Porsche experience. They don’t hold value that well but still better than most performance sedans

Last edited by JillyBean; 04-27-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:16 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Apples and oranges, but GM never could and never would build a car like this. This is what the difference is for those who think it's all about 0-60 and sales numbers. I love my Vettes, but they will NEVER (caps just for you NCD) be a Ferrari. And there's nothing wrong with that. You can compare them as an exercise but in reality they are two completely different automotive experiences. Not every quarterback has the talent of Tom Brady.....that's just the way it is.

There's an exotic on my bucket list and I may just skip over the Z06 or ZR1 and into one of these......if I can even get one.

The following 2 users liked this post by VETTE-NV:
JillyBean (04-27-2020), vetteman41960 (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 04:47 PM
New car dude
Drifting

Received 514 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Apples and oranges, but GM never could and never would build a car like this. This is what the difference is for those who think it's all about 0-60 and sales numbers. I love my Vettes, but they will NEVER (caps just for you NCD) be a Ferrari. And there's nothing wrong with that. You can compare them as an exercise but in reality they are two completely different automotive experiences. Not every quarterback has the talent of Tom Brady.....that's just the way it is.

There's an exotic on my bucket list and I may just skip over the Z06 or ZR1 and into one of these......if I can even get one.

Admirable effort for trying to influence buyers of a 600k Ferrari vs the C8 series KNOCK OUT PUNCH Z06. The STINGRAY alone has everybody on the ropes, including Ferrari. When the Virus crisis subsides, there will be blood in the car industry. It wont be GMs, or the C8 series blood spilled either. Bets on Hyundai as well for the European luxury market. Hyundai Genesis is going all in for their G90 and 70 OVER BMW AND MERCEDES. Its gaining major traction. I stand by my statements 100 percent. The luxury car market is under serious threat from all sides.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:19 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 310 Posts

Love the design of the Roma. I do think it’s going to have a severe depreciation problem so I’m going to stay away from a new one.

Originally Posted by New car dude
Admirable effort for trying to influence buyers of a 600k Ferrari vs the C8 series KNOCK OUT PUNCH Z06. The STINGRAY alone has everybody on the ropes, including Ferrari. When the Virus crisis subsides, there will be blood in the car industry. It wont be GMs, or the C8 series blood spilled either. Bets on Hyundai as well for the European luxury market. Hyundai Genesis is going all in for their G90 and 70 OVER BMW AND MERCEDES. Its gaining major traction. I stand by my statements 100 percent. The luxury car market is under serious threat from all sides.
600k? For a Roma? It’s 225k, but okay...

And to the rest of what you said “if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree...”

Also you standing by your predictions isn’t exactly like Rainman standing by his arithmetic. You have zero credibility. You’re not even an owner of a car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mr Triple Black:
ChumpVette (04-29-2020), VETTE-NV (04-27-2020), vetteman41960 (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 05:33 PM
New car dude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr Triple Black
Love the design of the Roma. I do think it’s going to have a severe depreciation problem so I’m going to stay away from a new one.

And to the rest of what you said “if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree...”

Also you standing by your predictions isn’t exactly like Rainman standing by his arithmetic. You have zero credibility. You’re not even an owner of a car.
You should read every once and a while. Other than my European sales predictions, im more than spot on. Ferraris STRADALE series is the comp. Total wipeout with upcoming Z06 on the horizon. You Flippers are in for a brand new sport car landscape AS OF NOW. We havent even got to aftermarket add ons. The Stingrays still the hottest ticket in town BAR NONE.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:38 PM
Donatella
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 96 Posts

[QUOTE=Mr Triple Black;1601404831]Love the design of the Roma. I do think it’s going to have a severe depreciation problem so I’m going to stay away from a new one.

Also you standing by your predictions isn’t exactly like Rainman standing by his arithmetic. You have zero credibility. You’re not even an owner of a car.[/QUOTE

$225,000 BASE price, easily closer to $300,000 with some basic options. You can buy a V12 DB11 loaded with a few hundred miles for over $100,000 less, looks almost the same but with a gorgeous interior..

Last edited by Donatella; 04-27-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:55 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 310 Posts

You should read every once and a while. Other than my European sales predictions, im more than spot on. Ferraris STRADALE series is the comp. Total wipeout with upcoming Z06 on the horizon. You Flippers are in for a brand new sport car landscape AS OF NOW. We havent even got to aftermarket add ons. The Stingrays still the hottest ticket in town BAR NONE.
  1. No one here is a damn flipper. Stop the nonsense.
  2. If Corvette could wipe out the V8 mid engines it would have done so years ago. It can’t. Corvette will always lack the allure because it’s mass produced and made by GM.
  3. Instead of “reading” and getting stuck on stats in magazines, maybe you should listen to the countless OWNERS that are telling you otherwise.

Originally Posted by Donatella
$225,000 BASE price, easily closer to $300,000 with some basic options. You can buy a V12 DB11 loaded with a few hundred miles for over $100,000 less, looks almost the same but with a gorgeous interior..

Not a fan of the Aston. I personally think it’s over styled for that type of car and I don’t think it’ll age well. That’s part of what I like about the Roma. Just a nice sleek design. Like a modern 550/575.

And yeah, the base price is definitely the base. But the same could be said for most cars including the C8. The C8 I priced out was nearly double the cost of the base price. However, the base price helps dictate depreciation a lot as most add ons don’t actually help with a car’s value after purchase. That’s why fully optioned Californias and mildly optioned California trade hands for similar prices now. Low prices at that. And I foresee the Roma doing the same. So maybe in a few years I’ll pick one up for less than 100k.
The following users liked this post:
VETTE-NV (04-27-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To C8 vs. Ferrari

Old 04-27-2020, 06:44 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Nobody's on the ropes and C8 ain't Mike Tyson. Get over it. It's just a car from GM, albeit a great one.

I currently own a Genesis G80. I've also owned many Mercedes and currently own an S7. The Genesis is fine as a DD for the dogs and grocery store, but it sure as hell is not on a par with the German cars, although it is much more reliable. Big deal.

Maybe if you actually owned any of these cars you might have some of the real world perspective you obviously lack. You can't learn brain surgery out of book.

Such a douche.
The following 4 users liked this post by VETTE-NV:
michael510 (04-27-2020), Mr Triple Black (04-27-2020), NytmereZ (05-25-2020), vetteman41960 (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 07:10 PM
john91498
Melting Slicks

Received 821 Likes on 407 Posts

Man, this car dude is delusional...
Old 04-27-2020, 07:37 PM
New car dude
Drifting

Nobody's on the ropes and C8 ain't Mike Tyson. Get over it. It's just a car from GM, albeit a great one.

I currently own a Genesis G80. I've also owned many Mercedes and currently own an S7. The Genesis is fine as a DD for the dogs and grocery store, but it sure as hell is not on a par with the German cars, although it is much more reliable. Big deal.

Maybe if you actually owned any of these cars you might have some of the real world perspective you obviously lack. You can't learn brain surgery out of book.

Such a douche.
Hilarious statements. BMW and Mercedes top brass WORK FOR HYUNDAI NOW. The top car designer designed their Genesis G90 and 70. You guys simply dont know ANYTHING about this industry. Give yourselves a crash course in the world of cars. This forum is FILLED with people that have no idea what is what.

Quick Reply: C8 vs. Ferrari