Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevy has no plans for grand sport. E-Ray takes it spot.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 05:57 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 716 Likes on 428 Posts

I struggle with what characteristics people are asking for when they call for a C8 Grand Sport. The engine in the C7 Grand Sport is the same as the C7 Stingray with the very important addition of a dry slump? The changes are in the body work and suspension including tires?

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/05...0extra%20vents.
". Instead, the vehicle is its own type of (very unique) animal that bridges the gap between the Stingray and the Z06 as a lean, mean track-ready performer that is perfectly capable to deliver on the fun factor in a big way, even without the Z06’s 650 ponies under the hood."

So as the C8 already has a dry slump, a C8 Grand Sport would have the same drivetrain but different body work and track-ready suspension including tires but the same engine?

Is that what is desired by those wanting a Grand Sport?

If it goes beyond that, what is desired and why call it a C8 Grand Sport?

Last edited by Kodiak Bear; 10-18-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:26 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,846 Likes on 3,220 Posts

Originally Posted by 235265283...
I wish this thread were split into two separate threads like:

1. Will there be a C8 HEV, and if so, what will its configuration and performance be?
2. EVs vs gasoline vehicles, and are Teslas any good?

I think these are separate subjects, and I'm not particularly interested in #2.
And I wish it was split into two threads as well.

1. with Zohsick

2. without Zohsick

i probably made 15 passes from 0 to 100 and beyond running my buddy's E63s and anther M8 gran couple and I will say each run dropped the range by a mile. We laughed about it while their cars cooled off and they half the times as the Model Y but smelled like they melted the cats.. and they got slower and slower. And it took longer and longer for them to pull on that little Egg. The dragy run I posted of 3.52 (1ft rollout 3.7 w/o) was after all of those runs.

He's just mad he didn't pick one up because his favorite thing to do is DIG RACE. And a model S or X performance will run mid 2's all day long.

See before when it was about top end pulling between Corvettes it was "who races from 50 60 to 130?" "Thats for people without a way to out down and chicken ****" etc..

Then when you shove 2.3 to 60 down his throat it's "Tesla is garbage. You can't go anywhere" etc.. can't wait for the full EV electric. It will destroy all that came before it. No doubt. And even better will be the EV corvette inspired SUV they're working on off of the Hunmer EV 2hich will be revealed tomorrow.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-18-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:32 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,260 Posts

Originally Posted by neoattilahun
Oh, ok. Well yes, I knew that WOT runs would deplete the battery charge much faster than regular driving, but believe me the range on my C6 is vastly reduced when I drive it aggressively as well. I can pretty much see the gas gauge doing a free fall when I mash the pedal. I don't see anything special about EVs in that regard.
I'm exaggerating with 10%. But the owners themselves said it's bad. It needs work. So it's far from perfect. Far from good.

But it's clear, people with tesla's will always deny any faults. Which is understandable. No one will ever admit the fault of the car they currently own, even if it's 100% true. But hey, don't listen to me, listen to this....

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/06/29...of%20ownership.

lolllzzzzz

Tesla is a HUGE piece of ****. I won't say they'll go under. They will only improve. But right now, in 2020, biggest piece of garbage. People only praise it because it is indeed fast, and i have first hand experience in that. But the speed comes at a price....err i mean at a "charge" lollzzzz.

Originally Posted by 235265283...
I wish this thread were split into two separate threads like:

1. Will there be a C8 HEV, and if so, what will its configuration and performance be?
2. EVs vs gasoline vehicles, and are Teslas any good?

I think these are separate subjects, and I'm not particularly interested in #2.

I think GM will dabble in EV for the C8 variants, as rumored already. I do believe C9 will bring all EV. MAYBE one ICE option just to appease some potential buyers. Similar to very very very very FEW manual cars you can get new. Obviously the **** is dead, but automakers are like, hey here you go, it's not much but you better be grateful because it's better than nothing lol.

I'm more interested in an EV corvette. Or EV hellcat, or something cool, that will look good.

Not an ugly *** tesla with shitty range, long *** charging times and of course as provided in the link above, TERRIBLE reliability.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:34 PM
Thart53
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 19/C7Z
And I wish it was split into two threads as well.

1. with Zohsick

2. without Zohsick

i probably made 15 passes from 0 to 100 and beyond running my buddy's E63s and anther M8 gran couple and I will say each run dropped the range by a mile. We laughed about it while their cars cooled off and they half the times as the Model Y but smelled like they melted the cats.. and they got slower and slower. And it took longer and longer for them to pull on that little Egg. The dragy run I posted of 3.52 (1ft rollout 3.7 w/o) was after all of those runs.

He's just mad he didn't pick one up because his favorite thing to do is DIG RACE. And a model S or X performance will run mid 2's all day long.

See before when it was about top end pulling between Corvettes it was "who races from 50 60 to 130?" "Thats for people without a way to out down and chicken ****" etc..

Then when you shove 2.3 to 60 down his throat it's "Tesla is garbage. You can't go anywhere" etc.. can't wait for the full EV electric. It will destroy all that came before it. No doubt. And even better will be the EV corvette inspired SUV they're working on off of the Hunmer EV 2hich will be revealed tomorrow.

You should just go join the Tesla forums. Every post I run across from you is about how that model Y is so great. Theres way more to the car experience. I owned a Model 3 Performance when it first came out and after the gimmick of the acceleration wore off it wasn't even close to as fun as my 10 year older C6.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 06:36 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Thart53
You should just go join the Tesla forums. Every post I run across from you is about how that model Y is so great. Theres way more to the car experience. I owned a Model 3 Performance when it first came out and after the gimmick of the acceleration wore off it wasn't even close to as fun as my 10 year older C6.
lolllzzz
Old 10-23-2020, 11:53 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Ferrari is making the dreaded conversion...sadly, there is no way to stop it:
https://www.motor1.com/news/450454/f...fiorano-video/

Old 10-23-2020, 12:16 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by sunsalem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0y8...ature=emb_logo

No. This is a good thing. Electric is the future.

The problem is that its heavily flawed. The ev hummer is like 140k

High performance Tesla's are too much even though they're fast. But with that purchase you're getting shitty build quality, electric glitches, the worst ranking in reliability, slow charging times and of course, the icing on the cake, a TERRIBLE design. Cars look like a crayon drawing from a preschooler. No design, no nothing. Just here. Car. Round clay molding with wheels. Theres your tesla lol. Its freaking garbage.

I can wait for better ev's to come around. In 10 years well have an electric corvette, ev trackhawks, ev hellcats etc.. cars with actual presence and style. not whatever a tesla is. People are too quick to jump on that when it's the worst right now. Have you see videos of the Tesla hiccups? Did you see the one where the car had a fault In the autopilot and it couldn't register a traffic jam and the car crashed? Lmaoooooo
Old 10-23-2020, 12:30 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,789 Likes on 6,734 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0y8...ature=emb_logo
Don't think some who prefer to "Play Ostridge" understand! Ferrari started with no manuals in 2012 when the prior administration said they were going to require sports cars to get ~40 mpg! It would have been law requiring significantly higher mpg starting starting in 2017! Hybrids (or EV's) are the only way to get there! Can't do that easily with a manual. The Ferrari CEO said they plan on 60% Hybrids in 2022. Porsche's solution is 50% EV Sports cars in 2025 (note the date coincides with the US planned requirement of the Corvette, etc requiring ~40 mpg!) There are similar requirements in Europe measured as max CO2/km.

I'll LMAO in November depending on who wins as that ~40 mpg law could get worse! It was stopped with the stroke of a pen and can go back as quickly!

Some started to understand the issue Tadge and company had when designing the C8 when they read this Press Release. Bet the EPA person is still there been waiting in the wings!
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...iency-standard

Note, that says the average vehicle will get 54.5 mpg! The Corvette etc ONLY needed ~40 mpg. Note it's NOT a gas guzzler tax paid for by the owner. No way they will let "rich Corvette (Ferrari etc) owner's pollute the air with CO2 by paying money! It was a prohibitive fine the manufacturer had to pay BY car family if the goal was not met! And no Ferrari could NOT buy Tesla and meet the goal it's defined by "car family" not the average the manufacturer produces!!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-23-2020 at 12:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
msm859 (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 01:11 PM
MagicGlass
Drifting

Received 1,263 Likes on 572 Posts

The only problem with the e-ray is the lack of the front trunk and that’s a deal breaker for me.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:16 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,789 Likes on 6,734 Posts

^^^
Not so sure! Sketch of what I called the Grand Sport in November 2019 when it was leaked and validated in later articles re the GS power shows still room for a Frunk, albeit shallower. Yep need one as the trunk too hot for cold food! Put that in the Frunk and others in the Trunk!

~100 hp FWD motors available off the shelf and are small. Still room for Frunk! Batteries in central structural support.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-23-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:43 PM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Received 3,155 Likes on 1,718 Posts

I saw a Tesla repair van on I-95 (after Dead lambo) when I unfortunately had to go to Miami a few days ago. He had a long rectangular box on pax side where many put ladders. It obviously contained a spare battery inside. Just more problems IMO unless it is all electric or all gasoline. Not a fan of "Hybrid" or combo. Purity only. Batteries need more improvement (750 min -1000 acceptable mile range) before I'll bite.
The following 2 users liked this post by C8J:
Apocolips (10-24-2020), Z0HS1CK (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 04:36 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by C8J
I saw a Tesla repair van on I-95 (after Dead lambo) when I unfortunately had to go to Miami a few days ago. He had a long rectangular box on pax side where many put ladders. It obviously contained a spare battery inside. Just more problems IMO unless it is all electric or all gasoline. Not a fan of "Hybrid" or combo. Purity only. Batteries need more improvement (750 min -1000 acceptable mile range) before I'll bite.
I think charging time is a bit more important than range.

Because ICE cars now, some have HORRENDOUS MPG, especially modified cars, V8's with FI etc etc., but it takes literally minutes to fill up and you're back for another 100-200-300 miles, depending on what your MPG is.

For an electric car to go dead, or even low battery, or even if you want to charge it from 40% up, it takes too damn long. What is it? 30 minutes? 45? I read an article saying it takes 45 minutes to replenish 100 miles of range. That is dumb slow.

I say EV's will really shine is when the charging time is AT LEAST triple the waiting time to fill up a gas car. As soon as you put the gas nozzle in your ICE car, it takes 3 minutes to go from empty to full. Maybe even 2 minutes.

If an EV car can't go from 0% or 5% whatever to 100% in like 6-8 minutes, it is going backwards.

"hi honey, sorry about our dinner date, please call them to tell them we're running late, i forgot to charge the tesla. It says 38 more minutes until we're full charged."

lollzzz
Old 10-23-2020, 05:11 PM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Received 3,155 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Charge time is a non issue if you can finish whatever you need to do for the day on ONE charge then let it charge overnight - even of it takes 8 Hours. That is my reason for the 750-1000 mile range. requirement. Even at my age, still I do 800-1000 mile / day trips. Left over from really long surveillance flights (11hrs plus 4-5 before and 2-4 after). 18-20 hour days.

Last edited by C8J; 10-23-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:50 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by C8J
Charge time is a non issue if you can finish whatever you need to do for the day on ONE charge then let it charge overnight - even of it takes 8 Hours. That is my reason for the 750-1000 mile range. requirement. Even at my age, still I do 800-1000 mile / day trips. Left over from really long surveillance flights (11hrs plus 4-5 before and 2-4 after). 18-20 hour days.
I meant to say that there's a better chance of them improving faster charging times first over extended range.

Because if you think about it, the more range you have, the more people will be inept about watching for battery percentage, calculating their routine on whether or not to charge their car. My buddies i know who have teslas, don't charge it every night. Like you said, sometimes their day consists of only 20 miles of driving, sometimes they need to run an errand where they have to go cross state (150-200 miles).

That's why i feel like with these random scenarios, faster charging times is more crucial than just an overall extended range. 1000 miles is so unrealistic right now. Trying to go from 0/5% to 100% in under 10 minutes seems more realistic to improve.

But waiting 30-45 minutes to charge? or maybe even longer? That's just unacceptable.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:20 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,042 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicGlass
The only problem with the e-ray is the lack of the front trunk and that’s a deal breaker for me.
Not an issue, the front motor will mount just behind the front axle.

Still, if extra cooling passages are required for a Lotus style hood then those could shrink the frunk size. But I think those will only be needed for twin turbo variants.

Last edited by Zaro Tundov; 10-24-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:42 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 552 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999

Or, perhaps, GS buyers agreed with most of the motojournal reviews of the GS, and believed their conclusion that the GS was the "best balanced of all C7's", including the Z06.

Just a thought that perhaps "by and large" it wasn't just a money thing or a "afraid of the power" thing as you surmise.

I agree! Turns out, if you live in a hot state, the GS is the track weapon of choice. You will have to tear my M7 GS from my cold dead hands. I can change the trans fluid, oil, and rear differential, at the track, in less time than it takes to add two quarts to a C8 trans. I never overheat. I get to choose my gear (can’t be overridden by a computer)! And I destroy pretty much everything not driven by a pro.

Last edited by rb185afm; 10-23-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:35 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 716 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by rb185afm
I agree! Turns out, if you live in a hot state, the GS is the track weapon of choice. You will have to tear my M7 GS from my cold dead hands. I can change the trans fluid, oil, and rear differential, at the track, in less time than it takes to add two quarts to a C8 trans. I never overheat. I get to choose my gear (can’t be overridden by a computer)! And I destroy pretty much everything not driven by a pro.
IMO, that's exactly what the C7 GS was designed to do. Repeatedly and reliably. And let those who bought it and didn't track it play "Walter Mitty" out on the street because it looked like a real race car.

My question is and has been what C8 version will fulfill that role?

Last edited by Kodiak Bear; 10-23-2020 at 07:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Chevy has no plans for grand sport. E-Ray takes it spot.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:45 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 999 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
I think charging time is a bit more important than range.

Because ICE cars now, some have HORRENDOUS MPG, especially modified cars, V8's with FI etc etc., but it takes literally minutes to fill up and you're back for another 100-200-300 miles, depending on what your MPG is.

For an electric car to go dead, or even low battery, or even if you want to charge it from 40% up, it takes too damn long. What is it? 30 minutes? 45? I read an article saying it takes 45 minutes to replenish 100 miles of range. That is dumb slow.

I say EV's will really shine is when the charging time is AT LEAST triple the waiting time to fill up a gas car. As soon as you put the gas nozzle in your ICE car, it takes 3 minutes to go from empty to full. Maybe even 2 minutes.

If an EV car can't go from 0% or 5% whatever to 100% in like 6-8 minutes, it is going backwards.

"hi honey, sorry about our dinner date, please call them to tell them we're running late, i forgot to charge the tesla. It says 38 more minutes until we're full charged."

lollzzz
Not sure what article you read. Not true. This is adding 724 miles per hour. Now it does slow down as it goes up. Having lived with a Tesla Model X for 10 months and 15k + miles. They are actually a lot closer than you think. Currently rated at @350 mile range. 95% of the time it is a non issue. Have taken a few 500 mile round trips and a 1000 mile round trip. I would like an extra 100 mile range and to see charging faster. That will take it up to a non issue 99.5% of the time. And for all the time it is a non issue it is way more convenient then an ICE vehicle.

Last edited by msm859; 10-23-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:44 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 552 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodiak Bear
IMO, that's exactly what the C7 GS was designed to do. Repeatedly and reliably. And let those who bought it and didn't track it play "Walter Mitty" out on the street because it looked like a real race car.

My question is and has been what C8 version will fulfill that role?
Good Question. I am hoping for.

GS= NA FP
Z06= Twin Turbo FP
Zora/ZR1 = twin FP hybrid
E-Ray = LT2 hybrid
Old 10-23-2020, 10:52 PM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

Received 3,314 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by rb185afm
Good Question. I am hoping for.

GS= NA FP
Z06= Twin Turbo FP
Zora/ZR1 = twin FP hybrid
E-Ray = LT2 hybrid
Makes a lot of sense

Quick Reply: Chevy has no plans for grand sport. E-Ray takes it spot.