Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 day old C8 engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 10:22 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,682 Likes on 6,669 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
Yes service history & repairs can & do show on Carfax and it will of course show on the VIS report.
Yep knew service shows up on the GM record but did not think that was captured by CarFax.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:22 AM
Old buckeye
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RC81
These modern cars are never going to be collectable like the old ones. For one thing, with GM's habit of discontinuing electronic parts after a number of years and the sheer amount of them on the new cars I don't see them aging well. It'll get to the point where it will be hard to find certain parts to keep some systems running as it is with the C5's.
Have a friend that in 1969 thought his 428 Mach 1 would never be valued as collectable.

Last edited by Old buckeye; 11-14-2020 at 10:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (11-16-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 10:40 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep knew service shows up on the GM record but did not think that was captured by CarFax.
CarFax has a service they sell to dealers for pushing service to their customers. All dealers are not participants so they may or may not have the information.
The following 2 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
Corvette ED (11-15-2020), JerryU (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 10:46 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Might as well jump in here with my $.02.

IMHO - If the Dealer will give you your Money back, take it.

I will assume you are into the Car for MSRP + 20K Markup + Cost of Extended Warranty + Tax and License.
I would think you can get everything back with the exception of the Tax and License.
(The Gubmint doesn't give back what it takes) BUT if they completely undo the Deal it is a possibility... I hope.

If you are as **** as I am, you will probably have it in the back of your mind that the Car isn't original and it will affect your enjoyment in owning the Car. (If not, you're a better man than me).

If you have a Coupe, the prices on the secondary Market have come way down. You could take the refunded money and buy another C8 without paying 20K over list. Even if you are stuck with paying Tax and License again, you would still be ahead of the game.

Even the HTC's on the secondary Market aren't getting as much over MSRP as I thought they would.

One other thing. As my Uncle used to say, "it's none of my Business, but". Why pay for the Extended Warranty now? You have 3/36 Warranty on the Car (5/60 Powertrain) which gives you plenty of time to determine if you are going to keep the Car longer than that and you can purchase a GM Extended Warranty three years from now IF you decide the hold in to the Car.

Whatever your decision I wish you the best. I should have my HTC in a few weeks so I can join you as a 2020 C8 Owner.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:50 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Second Vette
Might as well jump in here with my $.02.

IMHO - If the Dealer will give you your Money back, take it.

I will assume you are into the Car for MSRP + 20K Markup + Cost of Extended Warranty + Tax and License.
I would think you can get everything back with the exception of the Tax and License.
(The Gubmint doesn't give back what it takes) BUT if they completely undo the Deal it is a possibility... I hope.

If you are as **** as I am, you will probably have it in the back of your mind that the Car isn't original and it will affect your enjoyment in owning the Car. (If not, you're a better man than me).

If you have a Coupe, the prices on the secondary Market have come way down. You could take the refunded money and buy another C8 without paying 20K over list. Even if you are stuck with paying Tax and License again, you would still be ahead of the game.

Even the HTC's on the secondary Market aren't getting as much over MSRP as I thought they would.

One other thing. As my Uncle used to say, "it's none of my Business, but". Why pay for the Extended Warranty now? You have 3/36 Warranty on the Car (5/60 Powertrain) which gives you plenty of time to determine if you are going to keep the Car longer than that and you can purchase a GM Extended Warranty three years from now IF you decide the hold in to the Car.

Whatever your decision I wish you the best. I should have my HTC in a few weeks so I can join you as a 2020 C8 Owner.
Yes, you can get the fees returned and the tax. The State has an option to unwind the deal if the dealer applies.
In reality though, why would the dealer give him the money back? He has no obligation to do so and if he does it would be no different than taking twenty-thousand dollars or so out of your pocket and setting it on fire!
Old 11-14-2020, 10:56 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Yes, you can get the fees returned and the tax. The State has an option to unwind the deal if the dealer applies.
In reality though, why would the dealer give him the money back? He has no obligation to do so and if he does it would be no different than taking twenty-thousand dollars or so out of your pocket and setting it on fire!
True, but it doesn't hurt to ask... Previous Posters already floated the idea.
Maybe he could pay a Mechanic in the Dealer Shop to "accidentally" put it on the Lift wrong.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:01 AM
Nick49
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 95 Posts

People here are trying to be helpful suggesting all sorts of demands, refunds, returns and future warranties. Some may be helpful, mostly knee jerk reactions though.

If you paid 20K over msrp, cash is no biggie to you. Contact an attorney, he can outline your options. Discuss and chose the path you want to take.

It would be interesting to know what your your actual choices are.

Your dealer made probably between $30-$40K total off of your purchase that he will be reluctant to return.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:03 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
In a hole for what?

Repairs do not show up on CarFax, beit a valve spring, piston, engine or trans. Get in even a small accident and have damage to use insurance- sure. No one will look for matching numbers when he sells it. Being 1 of 20,000 Stingrays it will never become a classic!
See below. But your not correct in assuming it will not show up.

I have purchased plenty of used vehicles showing the repairs at GM dealers. So an engine being replaced would easily show up as..... engine replaced xxxxxx dealer.. I know between 2 cars I'm taking the one with less service history. Maintenance is one thing REPAIRS? Whole other story.

Originally Posted by sblvro
well there's a loophole in this scenario. if it hasn't been titled, you're lucky. It will not show up in carfax, even accidents. But, if you titled it already or registered it then you're SOL.
100% on that.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:37 AM
Bronk
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE
If you paid 20 grand over list why would you worry about diminished value for non numbers matching engine? Obviously money doesn’t seem like one of your concerns.
The only numbers I would worry about matching would be the numbers in my wallet !
The following 2 users liked this post by Bronk:
ByRiver (11-15-2020), hamta (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 11:43 AM
Raz0r
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Stash101
However I think everyone should agree the value of the car is diminished. I just need to figure out what’s a fair compensation.
You lost value when you paid $20k over, so anything in this is just a wash. You will never get that $20k back and this car is not collectible. Just get the new engine and enjoy the ride.
hamta (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 11:53 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,110 Likes on 523 Posts

The car is a mass produced Chevrolet. It blew up. Some do. They will fix it. Just take the car and drive it.

Ten years from now they will be selling in the 40’s probably and it will be just another used Vette.

As for long term collectibility I would not worry about it. Ain't happening in most of our lifetimes.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:55 AM
Nick49
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 95 Posts

One more thing to consider, and I speak as a vehicle tech and business owner since the '70's, is having a motor replaced, will never be as good a job as having a factory install. The reason is all sorts of hardware, fasteners, clips, connectors, hoses, wiring, brackets, ties, guides and more have to be removed. Many are a one time use, others will be damaged or broken during the disassembly and reassembly process. This hardware is expected to be reused. Most is exclusive to the C8 and if several items are compromised during the process they will have to be special ordered which will cause delays. If a tech breaks something, GM will not be liable and the dealership reluctant to order it, so those things are just swept under the rug so to speak. Most owner would never know and it's a huge PITA to having to keep ordering pieces and parts to make a perfect job. Air wrenching fasteners scars the heads too, and the flanges underneath do too. Many tell tale signs are left after a motor replacement. If you elect to have it done, have a Corvette Indy look the job over after and document all the stuff you want repaired correctly. The list will be long.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nick49:
23/C8Z (11-14-2020), fatsport (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 12:13 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ea327
Just keep in mind that when I pay $1000 to Chevy for a Museum delivery, they don’t even buy my lunch. They care about you, but not enough to really do anything for you. (I don’t want to hear about how the Museum is separate from Chevy. I paid the $1000 to Chevy, not the Museum).
I've never owned a dealership or even currently work at one. But having written around 25,000 repair orders in my short time in a GM service department I learned a couple of things. My suggestions on possible "compensation" are completely in line IMO. As others mentioned, throwing in a couple year service contract is a possibility also. Any of these would be provided by GM, not the dealer in case there's any confusion about that. The dealer owes him nothing.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:30 PM
CamsC8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 933 Likes on 453 Posts

Makes sense. Appreciate the replies.

However I think everyone should agree the value of the car is diminished. I just need to figure out what’s a fair compensation.
What do you think a warranty is for?

I think you're too hung up on the perceived collectability that isn't there.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:48 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Lemon law may apply depending on your state. In PA, if your car is at the dealership for any repairs for a cumulative total of thirty days during the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, you may demand a refund or replacement.

My 2013 Z06 had the engine replaced just under 13,000 miles and it does not appear on the Carfax. However, the vin can be searched for repairs and it will show up there.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:33 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,594 Likes on 786 Posts

Should I be concerned about a non matching number vehicle?
If you plan on holding on to this car for 25 (or more years) then: maybe, otherwise: no.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:48 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by ea327
Just keep in mind that when I pay $1000 to Chevy for a Museum delivery, they don’t even buy my lunch. They care about you, but not enough to really do anything for you. (I don’t want to hear about how the Museum is separate from Chevy. I paid the $1000 to Chevy, not the Museum).
For me "Museum Delivery" is a " Donation to Support it", an why I did it.
In 2012 I did a "Museum Experience" with my 1964 C2. Again, it was a "Donation" I was giving to them. No one is forcing me to do this, just as No One forces Us to do the Museum Delivery.

Having it as an Order option, is what allows GM to deliver Corvettes to NCM, but only after Selling Dealer has been paid for Car, an reported that to GM, so GM knows new Owner has approved the Delivery to NCM, to PDI it an go over car functions & features with you.

If GM was not involved in knowing Customers wanted car delivered to Museum, instead of Dealer, how would they know to change "Delivery Destination" form Dealer, to Museum?
GM is who tells Transporter where to Deliver your car too.

Same as with shipping a Car purchased from one Dealer, to have it's Delivered by another Dealer, who will do the PDI and Delivery in another part of the Country from Selling Dealer, otherwise that would require shipping car twice. 1st to Selling Dealer, then to another Dealer or Museum to deliver it to Customer.

Tell me how you think GM, Dealers, NCM etc. should handle transfers that require a Car to be "Paid For" before it can be shipped, and to whom, as well as who PDI money should be paid to?

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 11-14-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 day old C8 engine replacement

Old 11-14-2020, 02:08 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 893 Likes on 580 Posts

I would try for some additional warranty. I"ll make the assumption that your purchased warranty wouldn't kick in before the extended factory warranty expired. If and when you sell it, you should be reimbursed for the remaining portion of your extended warranty.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:31 PM
RJMC5
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sblvro
well there's a loophole in this scenario. if it hasn't been titled, you're lucky. It will not show up in carfax, even accidents. But, if you titled it already or registered it then you're SOL.
It has been a while since I have bought a new vehicle, but doesn't the dealer typically send the vehicle registration paperwork directly to the DMV?
Old 11-14-2020, 02:41 PM
mjross
Pro

Received 203 Likes on 131 Posts

I wouldn’t be waisting my time replying if it was t true. I can’t make this up. The engine had less than 90 miles. Only had it for two days. You can debate me but I know what I purchased and the issue with the car as described to me by the service advisor. Just looking for some help on what I should do.
Damn, he’s just looking for some help! Hey, this car has issues. It happens!

Last edited by mjross; 11-14-2020 at 03:33 PM.
ValenciaOrange (11-14-2020)

Quick Reply: 2 day old C8 engine replacement