Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 day old C8 engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 03:36 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,191 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
I would ask for a replacement car with the exact same colors, trim, etc. A brand new car just like this one. May take them a little time to get one but IMO it would be worth it.
Actually, after spending a little time with the car, you may now want something different. So you can ask for those changes in your new car... within reason.
Nah...just ask for part ownership in the dealership and then you can drive whatever you want. About as likely.
The following users liked this post:
vetteman41960 (11-16-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 03:37 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Old 11-16-2020, 04:37 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,677 Likes on 6,664 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
I would ask for a replacement car with the exact same colors, trim, etc. A brand new car just like this one. May take them a little time to get one but IMO it would be worth it.
Actually, after spending a little time with the car, you may now want something different. So you can ask for those changes in your new car... within reason.
Yep, and while you’re at it might as well ask Santa for a new 40 foot sailboat and the helicopter you always wanted!
Old 11-16-2020, 05:43 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,287 Likes on 2,204 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
All ME’s typically have to have engine removed for any significant work. They use connectors etc that make it easy enough to do right. Your speculation is not accurate, IMO!
Exactly. It's engineered a lot better than previous gen corvettes.

I think it was @Phil1098 that made a thread showing the underside. And everything was laid out perfectly for easy maintenance and/or repair of some sort.

When guys on youtube were swapping out the stock manfiolds for long tubes and the green cats etc, everything is right there.

It is so much better than the previous stuff GM gave us.

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 11-16-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:25 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I just don't understand how so many people seem to think that getting a replacement car, or getting a refund, or anything even remotely close to that is even an option.

The OP owns the car, signed sealed and delivered. GM is honoring their written warranty. At this stage, that is the end. Is there a chance that there may be future issues as result of the repair? Sure there is. However, there is no legal recourse for what might happen. So, until "what might happen" becomes "what has happened", there is no buy back, no refund. GM puts in a new engine and the OP gets his car back, The End.
The following 6 users liked this post by lt4obsesses:
64drvr (11-17-2020), Boiler_81 (11-17-2020), F-16 ED (11-17-2020), Floridasky (11-17-2020), JerryU (11-17-2020), Undy (11-18-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-17-2020, 06:07 PM
oldbuck
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick49
One more thing to consider, and I speak as a vehicle tech and business owner since the '70's, is having a motor replaced, will never be as good a job as having a factory install. The reason is all sorts of hardware, fasteners, clips, connectors, hoses, wiring, brackets, ties, guides and more have to be removed. Many are a one time use, others will be damaged or broken during the disassembly and reassembly process. This hardware is expected to be reused. Most is exclusive to the C8 and if several items are compromised during the process they will have to be special ordered which will cause delays. If a tech breaks something, GM will not be liable and the dealership reluctant to order it, so those things are just swept under the rug so to speak. Most owner would never know and it's a huge PITA to having to keep ordering pieces and parts to make a perfect job. Air wrenching fasteners scars the heads too, and the flanges underneath do too. Many tell tale signs are left after a motor replacement. If you elect to have it done, have a Corvette Indy look the job over after and document all the stuff you want repaired correctly. The list will be long.
Excellent post!

Last edited by oldbuck; 11-17-2020 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling error
The following users liked this post:
mjross (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 07:35 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Way back in 1990 when my new Dodge Daytona threw a rod after a few months of ownership, I was bummed that the dealer wanted to repair the motor rather than replace the block. They ordered every single part that was internal to the motor, and replaced it. It ran perfectly fine afterwards. After two years I traded it in on something new. The dealer at least did not discount the price because of the repaired motor. To do so would had proved that they wouldn't stand behind their work and say it was a tainted vehicle.

When I bought my '81 Turbo Trans Am, the dealer had to replace the turbo. I had absolutely no problem with it because it was a very expensive component that gave me a long warranty.

My GS I bought had the clutch slave cylinder replaced under warranty because they were failing. This occurred before I purchased it. It would be ludicrous to ask for a discount because of it. And if I ever sell it, I doubt a buyer would care.

And I would take the bet that no one would accept less for their Corvette if any component had to be replaced. Be it a clutch, transmission, or an axle half shaft.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:54 PM
jjsaustin
Pro

Received 460 Likes on 205 Posts

This thread is a joke... Right?

Let's face it, the biggest diminished value the OP is going to have is the $20K premium he decided to pay over MSRP. That money is gone and not coming back. Diminished value is for accidents not warranty work!

I think the OP has buyers remorse and just got caught up in the hype and "have to have it now" mentality and has now woken up with a hangover and a WTF realization.
​​​​​
Maybe I'm wrong

Last edited by jjsaustin; 11-17-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 2 day old C8 engine replacement