Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EV Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 12:28 PM
GundamX7X
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm talking about the C8, it should have been in production in 2014. Don't let them fool you, they say it was because they could not get the change approved. This is clearly a mismanagement of money over pervious generations of GM management. Parts and supplies was available in 2014, just not the money for such a big change in the architecture. Theirs a reason why Bob Lutz is not around in the company anymore.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:32 PM
GundamX7X
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

GM better get their act together because I don't want the Corvette to go away.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:37 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,317 Likes on 2,228 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
You really sound very foolish here and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about but I guess a GM hater has got to hate even when clueless.
Theres 2 groups in this section where the posts they make is the same as staring at a dumpster. All garbage nonsense.

The c6 boys and the manual tards lmaoooo
Old 11-25-2020, 08:05 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

You know I'm 33 so I guess i'd be millenial so i'll give my thoughts.
So long as I can still own and drive my classic corvette once and a while on nice days i'd be willing to try an EV. The idea of possible home power generation and then home charging with an EV is attractive, although i'd miss the sound and mechanic art of a nice V8 terribly.

the one thing i've noted is the ev mind set seems to be most prevelant in so cal where the sun shines most days and you can feel all that solar energy there for the taking, and with relatively sparce vegitation in that enviroment it sure makes sense to think about an EV.

Up here is cold, very cloudy/dark and sometime snowy Canada that mind set does not make as much sense. you can't see the sun and its cold for 8 months of the year, the days are short in the winter and solar panel yeil would be lower. What I do see around me is tons and tons of leave being composted every fall and a huge excess of vegitation every spring, I mean try mowing your lawn every other day for months in the spring, that is life up here. Which makes me think for my area of the world bio-fuel powered ICE cars make (using methanol etc...) make perfect sense and even are renewable to satisfy the enviromental critics. Perhaps EV's are not best suited to all enviroments, mayne GM should make and EV corvette and a bio fuel ICE varriant... just a thought.
Also although we have hydro power which always goes over budget and just about bankrupts the gov't, even with a power supply our grid will need 50 years worth of upgrades to handle people driving soley EV's, that's sure to drive electric prices through the roof. By using a reneable ICE biofuled vehicles up here where we have tons of composting vegitation every year we could avoid all the EV associated problems.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 11-25-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:42 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

One of the principle reasons that California has embraced electric vehicles is we are fed up with breathing polluted air. Oh and the rising temperatures, and the wild fires and the high price of gas might be factors as well. California has embraced renewable energy and zero emission vehicles because they are key to a successful future.

Last edited by Guard Dad; 11-25-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:11 PM
nyca
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
One of the principle reasons that California has embraced electric vehicles is we are fed up with breathing polluted air. Oh and the rising temperatures, and the wild fires and the high price of gas might be factors as well. California has embraced renewable energy and zero emission vehicles because they are key to a successful future.
EVs are going to clear years of underbrush from California forests? Your high price of gas there is all from taxes. Tell us how that bullet train is working out there.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:18 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,717 Likes on 6,693 Posts

First: 0.035% CO2 is not a breathing issue!
Second: Perhaps you can get China and India to help since now a large majority of electricity they generate is with coal! If not it's like pissing in the Pacific!

China is ROFL as we rejoin the Paris Accords' so folks love us and they can continue to pollute not only with CO2 but the acid rain that hits CA first! Lets them get stronger while we get weaker!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-25-2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:21 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,987 Likes on 1,400 Posts

Wild fires in California are not caused by "polluted air". 4.5 millions acres burned on average every year before California was even settled by Europeans.

Last edited by Michael A; 11-26-2020 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:43 AM
TKKRCats
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 98 Posts

EV’s are going to be mainstream for several reasons. California, China and Europe are creating drop dead dates for sales of new ICE cars. Don’t be surprised if Massachusetts, New York and the rest of the Northeastern states follow California’s lead. At some point it will be uneconomical to make ICE cars in the face of shrinking worldwide demand. Battery capacity, battery production and rapid charging technology are advancing at a decent pace and charging infrastructure is growing rapidly in no small part because VW committed to a massive charging network as part of the Dieselgate settlement.

GM, Ford and all the rest will go electric if for no other reason than to survive. There will be a transition period but in about 5-7 years there will be an excellent selection of affordable, long range, fast charging electric vehicles to choose from.
How will there be enough electricity produced to charge all these vehicles? The national grid is maxed out and getting a new power plant built is nearly impossible with all the hoops a utility has to jump through.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:47 AM
TKKRCats
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
physics gets in the way. 240 at 40 amps is 9.6 kWh versus 120v at 15 amps which is 1.8 kWh . The only way to improve from 3 miles of range is to improve the friction and aero of the car. It is not about batteries or charging if you have limited power input. The way they get faster charging is to increase the voltage or amperage or both of the charger. So fast chargers are looking at 800 volts and more.
You are correct about higher voltage required to charge faster. There is no home or business in the US that has wiring insulation rated for 800v. Even if you went with just getting an 800v outlet to the house on a single outside outlet, every transformer on the national grid would have to be changed. 480v would be more double but it would require adding transformer to every pole and re-wiring the existing ones.

Last edited by TKKRCats; 11-26-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:52 AM
faninc
Drifting

Received 640 Likes on 366 Posts

Default Power company capacity for all EV world?

Maybe someone can comment, fully assume that the power companies do not have the capacity to support a country that woukd be 80-90% EV? So let me guess, power companies will apply to states for needed price increases so they can increase capacity and states will grant it. What will the new cost of charging look like? What source of these large power plants will they use to generate more electric capacity? What will that increase be on the environment? Where do you dispose all of the toxic batteries that expire, at what $ cost and environmental cost? Lastly, kudos to Tesla- but the current valuation is the craziest thing I have seen in 33 years of investing. Mark my words, in 2-4 years, their valuation and P/E ratio will normalize as a result of the hundreds of billions in R&D top auto companies are pouring into EV all gunning at Tesla. Tesla does not have a patent on batteries! Remember Motorola and their dominance of the cell phone market (flip phones)? How about everyone had a Blackberry ? Investors in Tesla will find out the ride up can go both ways! Happy Thanksgiving all! Have to run, time for a drive in my CE C8!

Last edited by faninc; 11-26-2020 at 08:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by faninc:
HTown C8 Vert (11-26-2020), Michael A (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 08:59 AM
HTown C8 Vert
Heel & Toe

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
You mean the one in the 80's?
Corvair much?
Old 11-26-2020, 09:12 AM
HTown C8 Vert
Heel & Toe

Key in what way? Californians have to pay more for electricity that by the way, is fired primarily on hydrocarbons, because your leadership does not believe in chemistry, or understands physics. Renewable energy never pays for itself. It takes more energy to generate renewable energy, it is a net loser.
No, California has a religious problem, that has nothing to do with clean air and everything to do with shunning oil. The policies have driven and continue to drive industry and tech away from California. Basically, California is turning into Spain. A museum at best. See Tesla leaving and building plants anywhere but California and you might actually understand, that ALL manufacturing, is based on cheap, plentiful energy. Markets always find a balance. Try taxing your way out of reality, and accelerate your demise.
The following users liked this post:
gurneyeagle (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 09:27 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,717 Likes on 6,693 Posts

Originally Posted by faninc
Maybe someone can comment, fully assume that the power companies do not have the capacity to support a country that woukd be 80-90% EV? ...
It's worse than no Power there is lack of distribution lines. Lots of big bucks!

Funny, recently mention to Granddaughter who lives with husband and my two Great Grandsons' with my Daughter, husband etc in a large 16,000 square foot home in Southern CA that to deal with the blackouts and brownouts they should get a natural gas fired automatic generator. No way! Even though they use natural gas for the stove and hot water, she would ask her husband about getting enough "battery capacity."

Despite all having Master's+ degrees and her husband a computer engineer who works for google, could not convince her to ever use Natural Gas! It does NOT require the power company to build generating capacity and even more expensive add power lines and fix their old power transmission infrastructure! Heck 3 of my SC neighbors have natural gas powered automatic back-up systems in case of hurricanes! In fact in California they don't want a power generating station built near them! Forget about ever mentioning Nuclear or that France generates 75% of their power with Nuclear!

Oh no, as has been CA attitude for some time, we'll just buy power when we need it from another state. We'll let them pollute and just "Play Ostridge!" May not recall Enron who were in the business of brokering power and would charge CA several times the going price when power was short! This year Arizona etc were also out of power so CA got none. They had brownouts and blackouts at ~10 pm where the sun doesn't shine and my family's $90,000 solar cells on the roof don't produce power even in sunny California!

The only thing that happened to Enron, some got greedy and paid some power plants to have a maintenance shut down in high peak demand times so they could charge CA even more!

Yep, even in SC our power company is using huge natural gas powered “jet engines” operating generators and replacing old coal power plants. My neighbor has put in ~500 acers of solar cells as he can make more selling power then growing crops with the silly subsidies he got! We'll see what all these solar cells generate when they fail in time! Yep maintenance is a big cost in power generation. Solar cells will be no different. In College worked as a "Junior Engineer" for 1st two summers for our local power generating station. The second year worked only days in maintenance as could not tolerate swing shifts changing every two weeks. We had far more folks in maintenance than operating boilers and steam turbine/generators! Third summer worked in a welding R&D lab, which became my profession- thank goodness!

I chuckle, as recently consulted for a large fabricator making very large wind towers. Found out they have a 20 year design life as loads on the tower are very high and cycle every time one of those huge 150+ long blades pass in front! In fact I was consulting because their customer wanted 100% defect free welds as small defects (or discontinuities as we call then in welding codes) are often the cause of fatigue failure's. Their customer had a tower fail very early in the life cycle. Their specs were tighter than if fabricating ASME Section III Nuclear vessels!

Will be fun to see what happens in 20 years when they have to be decommissioned! Ah yes simple solutions defined by zealots don't work!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-27-2020 at 07:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
Kodiak Bear (11-26-2020), Michael A (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 09:33 AM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 632 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by faninc
Maybe someone can comment, fully assume that the power companies do not have the capacity to support a country that woukd be 80-90% EV? So let me guess, power companies will apply to states for needed price increases so they can increase capacity and states will grant it. What will the new cost of charging look like? What source of these large power plants will they use to generate more electric capacity? What will that increase be on the environment? Where do you dispose all of the toxic batteries that expire, at what $ cost and environmental cost? Lastly, kudos to Tesla- but the current valuation is the craziest thing I have seen in 33 years of investing. Mark my words, in 2-4 years, their valuation and P/E ratio will normalize as a result of the hundreds of billions in R&D top auto companies are pouring into EV all gunning at Tesla. Tesla does not have a patent on batteries! Remember Motorola and their dominance of the cell phone market (flip phones)? How about everyone had a Blackberry ? Investors in Tesla will find out the ride up can go both ways! Happy Thanksgiving all! Have to run, time for a drive in my CE C8!
Come on Man, don't try to introduce logic into an emotional issue supported by short-sided propaganda!

The big issue going forward is how to increase power grid capacity to meet the demand. Hate to break it to the Green New Deal crowd, but that power CANNOT be generated by solar or wind. Not sure a "Moonshot" effort will get us there in the next 50 years.

Once the final assault begins on the Country's oil and gas industry, we will end-up with both once again reliance on foreign sources for oil and gas, as well as rolling blackouts - as seen in the "Golden" state. I just retired after 40 years in the oil & gas industry, and the projections we were running are truly scary. We are on a trajectory, based on the current political rhetoric, to repeat the 70's. The problem is that those advocating these policies weren't even born then and are too stupid, yes stupid, to research the history.

Another issue is that it takes significantly less labor to produce electric vehicles. I sat in on a briefing this past spring in London where the impact on the German auto industry, and ultimately their economy, will be affected by Volkswagen's move to an all-EV line-up. The domino effect will ripple throughout Europe as Germany contributes the majority of the EU's funding, especially in light of BREXIT.

Look, I'm all for an eventual transition to BEVs and hydrogen powered vehicles. The market will/would have eventually get/gotten there. I'll even happily accept an all-EV Corvette. What worries me is the politics are overriding reality/physics/the market.

I'm happy, more than happy, to be proved wrong. Let's hope I am.

Last edited by gurneyeagle; 11-26-2020 at 10:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gurneyeagle:
ChucksZ06 (11-26-2020), Kodiak Bear (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 09:47 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,317 Likes on 2,228 Posts

Originally Posted by HTown C8 Vert
Key in what way? Californians have to pay more for electricity that by the way, is fired primarily on hydrocarbons, because your leadership does not believe in chemistry, or understands physics. Renewable energy never pays for itself. It takes more energy to generate renewable energy, it is a net loser.
No, California has a religious problem, that has nothing to do with clean air and everything to do with shunning oil. The policies have driven and continue to drive industry and tech away from California. Basically, California is turning into Spain. A museum at best. See Tesla leaving and building plants anywhere but California and you might actually understand, that ALL manufacturing, is based on cheap, plentiful energy. Markets always find a balance. Try taxing your way out of reality, and accelerate your demise.
That's why california blows lol.

What the terrible state to live in. Especially if you're a car person.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:31 AM
HTown C8 Vert
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by iKonPerformance
Please no electric Corvettes. ugh
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...tron-gt-drive/

Here you go, 250 mile range, substantially less if you haul ***. 80k more than a well appointed Vette for the privilege. At least the Germans put transmissions on their EV so theu drive like cars not Kubota shuttle drive pumps.

Get notified of new replies

To EV Corvette

Old 11-26-2020, 12:22 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,819 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by TKKRCats
How will there be enough electricity produced to charge all these vehicles? The national grid is maxed out and getting a new power plant built is nearly impossible with all the hoops a utility has to jump through.
Charge at night while you are sleeping. Electricity must be used as it is generated. That's why we have "peak power plants" that run only during times of high demand, like afternoons after work. Charge after midnight at home and wake up to a "full tank." There's nothing wrong about the power grid. The only issue is when you use it. Most of the objections to EVs are based on nothing but mythology. They don't hold up to scrutiny. I don't expect to ever give up my gasser Corvette, but my next car will be an EV.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:24 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,987 Likes on 1,400 Posts

Originally Posted by HTown C8 Vert
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...tron-gt-drive/

Here you go, 250 mile range, substantially less if you haul ***. 80k more than a well appointed Vette for the privilege. At least the Germans put transmissions on their EV so theu drive like cars not Kubota shuttle drive pumps.
Exactly. "Driven hard, we watched the range drop precipitously, so if you head out to hammer on the RS e-tron GT, set aside some time and a plan to recharge."

This is why an electric Corvette is useless for back road run. The fun is literally sapped out of the car, because EV batteries only hold the energy equivalent of two gallons of gasoline.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:30 PM
HTown C8 Vert
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Charge at night while you are sleeping. Electricity must be used as it is generated. That's why we have "peak power plants" that run only during times of high demand, like afternoons after work. Charge after midnight at home and wake up to a "full tank." There's nothing wrong about the power grid. The only issue is when you use it. Most of the objections to EVs are based on nothing but mythology. They don't hold up to scrutiny. I don't expect to ever give up my gasser Corvette, but my next car will be an EV.
The mythology around “filling your tank” or battery with no affects on price of kw or availability is pure BS. Not even mythology. The free-rider program for loading up EV is the only mythology.

Quick Reply: EV Corvette