Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for geezers

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 01:52 PM
DMcD
Advanced

Received 103 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Questions for geezers

I'm a 72 year old geezer myself and have a C8 on order. No telling how old I will be when it finally gets delivered, LOL. Meanwhile, I have questions for C8 owners over 70. Someone who might get impatient waiting for their order to come in might consider buying a used one and paying the extra premium price. Here are my questions:
Would it be advisable to try to buy from an older owner in order to get one that has been babied and not driven hard?

1. Do older owners usually drive their C8 within the speed limit and never slam the peddle to the metal? Do they always drive sedately, like a little old lady?
2. If not, how often do they drive at least 10 miles over the speed limit?
3. Do they ever exceed 100 miles per hour? If so, how often?
4. What is the highest speed you have had your C8 up to?
5. How many elderly drivers enjoy hard acceleration and do it every chance they get?
6. Do you think you drive it like most other elderly drivers do?
7. Do you have trouble getting in and out?
8. Do you feel that the ride is comfortable or too rough?
9. Have you had problems with it and had to put it in the shop for repairs?

I'm just curious about what the other old guys think about their C8 now that they have driven it for a while.

Thanks for honest answers. I mean no offense with use of the terms elderly or geezers. I'm just glad that I didn't die back when I was young and beautiful, LOL.
The following 8 users liked this post by DMcD:
Chuck Mahnke (01-14-2022), CorvetteBrent (01-15-2022), docross (01-14-2022), Fast Dawg (01-16-2022), hawkgfr (01-14-2022), robertbruce (01-14-2022), Tex Vette (01-14-2022), Wentzvillecorvette (01-14-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

01-14-2022, 09:52 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by DMcD
I'm a 72 year old geezer myself and have a C8 on order. No telling how old I will be when it finally gets delivered, LOL. Meanwhile, I have questions for C8 owners over 70. Someone who might get impatient waiting for their order to come in might consider buying a used one and paying the extra premium price. Here are my questions:
Would it be advisable to try to buy from an older owner in order to get one that has been babied and not driven hard?

1. Do older owners usually drive their C8 within the speed limit and never slam the peddle to the metal? Do they always drive sedately, like a little old lady?
5. How many elderly drivers enjoy hard acceleration and do it every chance they get?

I'm just curious about what the other old guys think about their C8 now that they have driven it for a while.

Thanks for honest answers. I mean no offense with use of the terms elderly or geezers. I'm just glad that I didn't die back when I was young and beautiful, LOL.
I will be 70 on February 12. I am driving my 9th Corvette which is a C8 with 20,000 plus miles. I put a lot of miles on all of the Corvettes I have owned. I don't hot rod my cars but I am not against putting the pedal to the metal when some punk in his PU truck pulls up next to me and starts acting like the ******* so many of these young punks are. I change my own oil between 3000 and 4000 miles, I drive on dirt roads, I don't buy that plastic film everyone puts on their cars, the dealership where I was number four on the list for the Z06 got sold so I had to start over. I have never had major problems with my cars but I trade every two years. We take long road trips in our cars and the ride has always been fantastic. I did 150 mph in Nov. driving the loneliest road in Nevada. My next C8 will be the convertible. Got an Email from Mike saying he thinks 5 months before he has a Stingray allocation for me. I am on his list for the Z06 and the ERay. Corvette's are Great cars, you meet great people and if you are smart you will hit the road immediately in your Corvette and see this great country.

1st Corvette in 1974

Current 2020 Corvette in 2021
Old 01-14-2022, 02:38 PM
DCV1
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok I guess I can try to address at least a couple of your questions-I am 71yr male-traded in Porsche Cayman GTS and Volvo XC90 R Design to end up with just 1 car-2021 Z51 3lt Comp seats HTC ELB with black stripe. low spoiler but have ordered high wing in ELB and a carbon steering -bought it used off lease from Chev dealer-car(according to the story) belong to car salesman who had leased it and lost job so gave car back-yes paid premium well over list but felt total deal was fair .
Yes getting in and out is challenge-kind of drop butt down into seat and swing both legs in-lots of things to grab getting out and use to it from previous cars so no big deal to me(6'3" 184lbs) Got car with about 5000mi on it and now up to 6000mi+-absolutely no issues with anything except the learning curve to figure it all out-covid has hugely limited how much time salesman etc can spend near you so basically here are keys-have fun. One advantage of "used" car is someone else has sorted out any initial flaws. I have put snow tires on it and driven it through Ontario, Canada winter so far with no problem. I have no idea how other "elderly" drivers actually drive but yes in good conditions(summer) I still get good tingle from hard acceleration and yes 100mph is easily and comfortably doable if road and traffic allow it safely. New autopark going in near me so may actually take to the "track" when they open-well maybe! Car is made to drive and so far no indications driving it hard is anything but what Chevy intended for a corvette. Comp seat is narrow in the hip area but for tall skinny?- well I use to be-guy like me it is just fine-lots of adjustment and great support. C8 not as nimble feeling as Cayman GTS in corners but a way better car overall and much more powerful feeling. Absolutely no regrets re cost, performance, reliability, looks, ease of access, comments from peanut gallery etc -all just great as far as I am concerned.
DCV1-Ontario Canada
The following users liked this post:
Guppies (01-16-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 02:54 PM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Received 3,698 Likes on 1,535 Posts

I don’t drive my Corvette any differently than my 2500 HD. It’s a car like any other to me. I usually never speed or drive in a reckless manor in it.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:08 PM
Ancient Mariner
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 45 Posts

I am 79 and waited 9 months to get my new C8 last Thursday. Yesterday I turned over 500 miles. Couldn't wait to mash the pedal. All I can say is the wait is worth it or spend more money and get it now. BTW, planning on getting on a ZO6 list next week.

I'll answer your questions below but will only speak for myself, but I truly believe I am not alone LOL.

You gotta be kidding me. Why would I want something with this much performance go wasted. I buy my cars to drive them, not collect them (although I have a few collectables too).

Every chance I get.

Again, every chance I get.

Too soon in my breakin cycle, but I have no doubt in the mid century range when possible.

See above

Only when I cant open the doors completely. The seat homing feature makes entry and exit easier

With MSRC just dial it in the way you like it for the moment.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ancient Mariner:
Mike Campbell (01-14-2022), NorthernProducer (01-16-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 03:17 PM
Broken Halo
Melting Slicks

Received 1,749 Likes on 839 Posts

Would it be advisable to try to buy from an older owner
I think you'd be hard pressed to find an owner under 55.
The following 4 users liked this post by Broken Halo:
khartford (01-14-2022), MIREDVET (01-16-2022), OBAC8 (01-15-2022), onebadjon (01-18-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 03:22 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

I'm 67, and will just generally say I will baby my car until 500 miles, and I'm not there yet. I don't think I will hot rod this car, most likely will just drive this car like any other car. I will say that this is my first mid engine car and at this point I'm still intimidated by this newly engineered car.

As far as taking it to the drag strip, that won't happen as Houston Raceway Park is shutting down the first half of next year. However if it weren't shutting down I would get me a couple of new rims and some Mickey's and make some passes next winter when we have some good DA.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:28 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,155 Posts

I’ll say this. When I go to the track…. A number of guys over 70, hammering their cars and having a blast. Guess you’d not want to buy theirs.

Sounds like you’ll willing to pay a premium…..if that’s the case find a dealer with a minimal markup.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:47 PM
Ringmaster
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm 76 and my C8 won't be here until mid February. I don't plan on taking it to the track or dragstrip. I also don't plan on doing donuts in empty parking lots like a 16 year old. I will drive at the speed limit on secondary roads and in neighborhoods. After saying that I do plan on bombing down highways. My car will be a GT car in every sense. I will drive it just like I drive my BMW E92.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:01 PM
rawbar
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,000 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
I’ll say this. When I go to the track…. A number of guys over 70, hammering their cars and having a blast. Guess you’d not want to buy theirs.

Sounds like you’ll willing to pay a premium…..if that’s the case find a dealer with a minimal markup.
Yep plenty of 70+ folks at the track. Usually in Porsches but one C8 with a 70+ pilot at Palmer a few months back.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:08 PM
aquavettes
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

I am 80 and second Ringmaster!

Have had vettes since 1964. On number 14, at least one of every era. C1 to C8.
blkvet6 (01-16-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 04:08 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 344 Likes on 156 Posts

77 here and drive it like I stole it. Took me 14 months to get and now have 16,000 miles on it. Life is short so go for the brass ring. At our ages who cares how the previous owner drove it. Remember avg. life expectancy is 78 for men. So life is short .
The following 7 users liked this post by jagtoes:
ea327 (01-15-2022), khartford (01-14-2022), Klakeman (01-18-2022), MY04CE (01-17-2022), NorthernProducer (01-16-2022), rjsmith169 (01-14-2022), Zazaboo (01-16-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-14-2022, 04:21 PM
khartford
Pro

Received 643 Likes on 262 Posts

1. Do older owners usually drive their C8 within the speed limit and never slam the peddle to the metal? Do they always drive sedately, like a little old lady? I’ve never had a ride with a little old lady so I can’t answer this.

2. If not, how often do they drive at least 10 miles over the speed limit? Every time I drive.

3. Do they ever exceed 100 miles per hour? If so, how often? Depends on how crowded the road is.

4. What is the highest speed you have had your C8 up to? 135 mph

5. How many elderly drivers enjoy hard acceleration and do it every chance they get? Are we talking sex here?

6. Do you think you drive it like most other elderly drivers do? I drive better!

7. Do you have trouble getting in and out? Since the prostate problems.

8. Do you feel that the ride is comfortable or too rough? Yes.

9. Have you had problems with it and had to put it in the shop for repairs? Yes. I lost my teeth in the car and couldn’t find them. The situation required a fresh set of eyes.

I would have a more comprehensive response but my wife is feeling frisky and then I am going to take a nap.
The following 6 users liked this post by khartford:
bkramme (01-16-2022), Dakota Slim (01-16-2022), ea327 (01-15-2022), Jbal (01-15-2022), rjsmith169 (01-14-2022), Zazaboo (01-16-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-14-2022, 04:26 PM
DMcD
Advanced

Received 103 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks, guys. I'm getting a kick out of reading these replies. I have a red C8 on order and it is due in about a year. I will probably wait for it because then I can get it exactly the way I want it. I have had several muscle cars and sports cars and I wouldn't recommend anyone buying one from me, considering the way I drive, LOL. I only drive fast when I think I can get away with it without getting a ticket, but not on residential and city streets. I never drove on a track, but at a drag strips a few times. I just thought of another question I should add:

10. Have you had a speeding ticket in your C8?
Old 01-14-2022, 04:41 PM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,325 Likes on 495 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

We picked up my wife's C8 last year when I was 70.
It's hard to drive within the speed limit even in my truck and blend in with traffic.
Everyone drives 10mph over.
If you don't think anyone in a C8 doesn't go over 100mph then you don't know much about a C8. If you mash the gas to the floor you're over 100 in about 4 seconds.
Haven't had hers over 110 but had the Z51 ay the museum track over 130.
I jump on it every time my wife isn't with me
I think my wife drives it like an old lady however when I follow her to car shows in my FI '60 I always have to stomp on it to keep up out of an intersection.
It is more difficult to get in and out of but that depends more on the condition of your knees.
Very comfortable for long trips BUT; never noticed it before but on long trips I have a tendency to shift my seating position ever so slightly. In the 2LT seats I couldn't do that so if you're subject to atrophy...
No problems so far except for an update that couldn't be done over the air and had to be done at the dealer.

The main reason we bought it is there are just some things you HAVE to do before you die.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:02 PM
BobbysC8R
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm almost 75. Have had our C8R Edition (Yellow HTC) (#94) for 3 mos.. 3 k on it already. It's my everyday driver here in The Villages Fl... We're heading to RonFellows next week and can't wait.. I don't do anything different at 74 than I would at 24 when it comes to my driving... We just love running all over in it. ( I can't tell ya her age)
We picked it up right after our 50th Anniversary.. Love her, love our car.....
khartford (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 05:09 PM
vivasantana
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

Damn you guys are tops!

Rock on Santana! Rock on!
Six decades strong!

93 Vette
74 Capri (modified)
Old 01-14-2022, 05:24 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I’ll say this, 90% of Corvette owners seem to be 70 and up in my experience, so no problems finding a car from this demographic.
Despite what they claim on the internet, they mainly go to car shows and ride in the right lane below the speed limit with the blinker on.

I wouldn’t worry so much about how hard it’s been driven, but how to get all the extra Corvette emblems that have been stuck on every square inch of the car off. And you’ll of course need to figure out how to get rid of or hide the trailer hitch. And you’ll need to update those chrome rims.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions for geezers

Old 01-14-2022, 05:30 PM
Don Roberto
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm 77 and ride my 350hp turbo Kawasaki over 200mph every weekend it isn't raining and drive my C8 briskly as well. Age is just a number and if your mind and body work well together why not use them to have fun. I'm looking forward to my goal of riding the bike well over 200mph on my 80th birthday! If your not overweight, getting in and out of the car is no big deal, it is quite comfortable for touring etc.and haven't had any problems with it. I'm at the top of my list for a 2023 after already getting a 21 and a 22.
Rmccamey (01-17-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 05:40 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,223 Likes on 833 Posts

I'm jelly lol.....

Keep the pedal down peeps and enjoy it as long as you can and congrats!.......
Old 01-14-2022, 05:41 PM
Broken Halo
Melting Slicks

Received 1,749 Likes on 839 Posts

I'm really beginning to enjoy this thread. I won't be 70 until July....starting to feel like a Spring Chicken!
Rmccamey (01-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Questions for geezers