Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First use of PDR in (near) crash reconstruction!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 10:03 PM
NA Screamer
Pro

Received 376 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by dohabandit
I got one way worse than this, but I can't find it at the moment. Might have actually deleted it while cleaning up temp files. If I find it I will upload it.
I was driving at night on a 4-lane divided road. I was going about 38mph and had been accelerating because I was at a light that had turned green.
Road was very wet..
A pickup truck on a side access decided to cut across all 4 lanes trying to get to a shopping center entrance on the other side of the 4-lane road.
Divided part was full of bushes, so I only saw him the split second when he popped in front of my car.
I was "concerned" because that area was a very common accident area for this exact same issue, DRUNK idiots trying to cross from one bar/restaurant over to the other side for more drinks, so I had let off the gas and was covering my brake just in case. I tell my wife and kids about covering their brakes in that area too.
Sure enough, BAM Pickup truck out of nowhere! I stood on my brakes and car went sideways anyway. I steered through it and managed to just barely miss his rear bumper by inches.

At Spring Mountain we did a little bit of wet road testing. The car works magic where it can, but on a very wet surface combined with these large tires with very little siping in them, it's a recipe for breaking loose.
I think what I learned at SM thought is even though you feel the car is breaking loose, just keep standing on the brakes and let the vehicle deal with it rather than trying to add any steering input. Your instinct is to try to steer to avoid impact, and if you feel you are going sideways to steer into it.
This is very interesting. I wonder if others have had real world or driving school experience which has led to that same conclusion about standing on the brakes and NOT steering into it.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:23 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,977 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Good thing you didn't hit a pedestrian in the crosswalk you drove into. I would not use that video. Self incriminating. Rolling stop. Yeah the other driver may have have cut the turn a bit but you had a stop sign.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:39 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,429 Likes on 3,523 Posts

Originally Posted by NA Screamer
This is very interesting. I wonder if others have had real world or driving school experience which has led to that same conclusion about standing on the brakes and NOT steering into it.
Steering into a skid is muscle memory at this point in my life, I don't see how it can hurt. Its hard enough for me to not try to modulate the brakes when ABS kicks in.

Quick Reply: First use of PDR in (near) crash reconstruction!