Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 07:11 PM
24RiptideBlue
Pro

Received 523 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Red5 C8
The LN report states who else has pulled the report. Most of the carriers I got quotes from requested the LN report and saw the GM data. I can't prove whether the Corvette driving data counted against me, but the insurance rates on my Corvette from Mercury, AAA and Safeco were so high I switched my Corvette to Hagerty and insured my remaining cars with AAA. The Corvette was the only car new enough to report telemetry data.
That sucks if you are being overcharged because gm made a buck grading and selling your cars telematics….

I generally don’t like insurance companies….. for many reasons but I have had good experience with Amica… they are a “mutual insurance co” which means they are owned by the policy holders. Does that matter? No idea but arbitrary profit targets by executives in some companies makes them behave badly.

Amica offers car insurance in every state except Hawaii. And they claimed when I called a few weeks ago that they do not use LN driver scoring reports.

However….. nothing is simple….. They also said they use LN reports but only to retrieve DMV/RMV information (tickets, suspended license…) which LN also obtains and collates for sale to anyone interested…. This makes sense when an insurance company wants to know if you have had your license suspended in your current or any other state… not practical to contact every DMV/RMV in the country to check on your driving record (your real driving record…. tickets etc) not some made up gm nonsense….
Old 04-21-2024, 04:02 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Great info in most of this thread, from a multi-Vette owner considering a C8..This data collection was a nail in the new Vette purchase coffin for me back when it started.
The report I read [distrust] siad had stopped the data collection which also occurs with Jeep, etc. [as if I trust ANY media]

My recent ins. rates hikes [100%+] had me cancelling American Family, for Armed Forces coop. Sadly ArmedForces underwrites Progressive on auto policies. I never considered USAA after they lied to me the third time, during a supposedly guraanteed-forever redo of shoddy paint work on a prior Corvette, repaired at their recommended[ however lousy] shop. That was atop recent double-the-others quotes for coverage. Geico was equally dishonest in coverage amount and purchase trial period coverage onset. FWIW, they stated 10 grace days, while USAA had 30 day, regardless of state. Their new CEO is not exMilitary and it shows.

I appreciate the rates comment about Corvette Museum collector policies [having cars insued with them]. Hagerty was never cost-competitive and far more onerous is annual mileage reporting than Grundy.

I go to some extremes to protect my privacy but it is more and more a losing battle, even if protesting with my wallet. I may well stick with my uber-low miles '87 Callaway versus getting a C8. My driving reecord is excellent, but I do need some full-throttle-therapy now and then.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:10 PM
24RiptideBlue
Pro

Default On page 345….

Why I’m so glad I cancelled Onstar….

Been reading my manual, more like skimming but regardless….

On page 345….. of a 348 page manual…. there is the Onstar information regarding privacy and software updates…. On the third to the last page 🙄…. It says

”Onstar or gm may remotely deliver software updates or changes to the vehicle without further notice or consent….. These updates or changes may also collect personal information. Such collection is described in the Onstar privacy statement at the time of installation (which you don’t hear if Onstar is activated by the dealer before delivery as mine was…)…. An active Onstar agreement constitutes consent….”

Hopefully Onstar honors its commitment to disconnect me but at a minimum Onstar no longer has my consent to collect personal information 🙄.

Last edited by 24RiptideBlue; 04-21-2024 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:24 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,199 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I finally got my Verisk response and their response was that while the vehicle listed was from a brand that reports driving behavior, they have found no driving behavior records for the VIN I provided. So at least for me, opting out of Smart Driver worked properly.
The following users liked this post:
SMOKN C8 (04-23-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 08:31 PM
bearone2
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Andybump
Yes it can, and when it does, it uses the path for OTA downloads and very likely uses it for everything but I do not know that. I do know that when it is connected that way, it will enable the apps that are loaded into the car to get data. I do not have a data plan nor any subscription with onstar. But the apps will get data from the WiFi if it is connected. Not that its of any use when traveling.
sorry, picking this up from a newer thread!!

maybe open wi-fi but my wi-fi's secured, car isn't paired.....is onstar still connecting....will shark app show anything??
Old 04-22-2024, 10:20 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,810 Likes on 2,262 Posts

Originally Posted by bearone2
sorry, picking this up from a newer thread!!

maybe open wi-fi but my wi-fi's secured, car isn't paired.....is onstar still connecting....will shark app show anything??
The car will not connect to an external wifi network unless you ask it to connect (if that is what you are asking). It does not matter if the network is password protected or not. But, if you do ask it to connect (and give the car the password if the network requires one), then the car will remember the network and it will connect. If you are asking if the car can secretly connect to an open WiFi network (no password) that you have not asked to connect to, I'm thinking not. There are cautions in the manual about the security risk of connecting to an unknown network.

Onstar also connects directly via the 4g cell capability, unless you have found a way to disable that (which has been discussed in several threads).

bearone2 (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 11:40 PM
bearone2
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

The car will not connect to an external wifi network unless you ask it to connect (if that is what you are asking). It does not matter if the network is password protected or not. But, if you do ask it to connect (and give the car the password if the network requires one), then the car will remember the network and it will connect. If you are asking if the car can secretly connect to an open WiFi network (no password) that you have not asked to connect to, I'm thinking not. There are cautions in the manual about the security risk of connecting to an unknown network.

Onstar also connects directly via the 4g cell capability, unless you have found a way to disable that (which has been discussed in several threads).
thanks
Old 04-24-2024, 01:45 AM
payne7744
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No Onstar, no phone app

When I get my C8, told dealer No Onstar or phone app. Will this hinder me in any way?
Old 04-24-2024, 07:57 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by payne7744
When I get my C8, told dealer No Onstar or phone app. Will this hinder me in any way?
What does "no OnStar" mean? You can decline the subscription service, and I think you can decline the free trial. Maybe. But, as far as I know, you can't shut down the 4G connection to the telematics module. If it was that easy, seems like that would have come up in the lengthy discussions to disable/disconnect the 4G antenna.

I think the app is needed to access and verify that the smart driver feature is off - of course its a moot point if its possible to prevent communication with OnStar.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:14 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,527 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by payne7744
It is easy to access where you turn off Smart Driver in the App. I didn't want any of that either, but a couple weeks ago I used the App to verify and then shut off Smart Driver, that has been reporting on me for 15 months.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:36 AM
Car Junkie 24
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 53 Posts

Update on lawsuits:

https://pennrecord.com/stories/65787...dated-into-mdl

Looks like these are going to be consolidated into a nationwide class-action lawsuit.
JimB. (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 10:50 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,396 Posts

It will be interesting to see if GM and LexisNexis/Verisk start pointing fingers at each other. And if GM starts pointing fingers at the dealers. It appears that dealers were incentivised to sign customers up for OnStar. I wonder if the root of this problem it that dealers enabled SmartDriver without customer consent.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:54 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
It will be interesting to see if GM and LexisNexis/Verisk start pointing fingers at each other. And if GM starts pointing fingers at the dealers. It appears that dealers were incentivized to sign customers up for OnStar. I wonder if the root of this problem it that dealers enabled SmartDriver without customer consent.
No, it was Onstar that enabled Smart Driver by default rather than asking for customer consent. AND even after turning it off, re-enabled it during software update. Nope, OnStar is fully on the hook for collection, selling and real damages to users for improper collection of private data. This lawsuit has plenty of meat but will be tied up in court for years. Each member will likely get $1.98 off a future GM car someday.
Car Junkie 24 (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 11:16 AM
thunderstrike
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
It will be interesting to see if GM and LexisNexis/Verisk start pointing fingers at each other. And if GM starts pointing fingers at the dealers. It appears that dealers were incentivised to sign customers up for OnStar. I wonder if the root of this problem it that dealers enabled SmartDriver without customer consent.
Excally what happened to me -- MM signed me up to Onstar, even though I marked on the order paper NO ONSTAR.
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman
2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
The following 2 users liked this post by thunderstrike:
Car Junkie 24 (04-25-2024), RKCRLR (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 11:44 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thunderstrike
Excally what happened to me -- MM signed me up to Onstar, even though I marked on the order paper NO ONSTAR.
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman
2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I'm still not clear on this. I am under the impression that there are differences between activating OnStar, vs enabling smart driver, or enrolling in subscription service. One can decline to be enrolled in the trial subscription service -I suppose. But even without any OnStar services, the telematics module is still running, till has a 4G connection, and can still communicate with the OnStar center. Is it even possible to sell a car without "activating OnStar"? If it really is as simple as just not activating it, then why are we discussing disconnecting the antenna or covering etc. ? Just call OnStar and have them turn it off (but I don't think its that easy).
Old 04-25-2024, 12:18 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,396 Posts

GM is axing Smrt Driver:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonio...h=150a0b7e46f1
The following 4 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
Car Junkie 24 (04-25-2024), JimB. (04-25-2024), March (04-25-2024), RapidC84B (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 03:05 PM
24RiptideBlue
Pro

Originally Posted by Car Junkie 24
Update on lawsuits:

https://pennrecord.com/stories/65787...dated-into-mdl

Looks like these are going to be consolidated into a nationwide class-action lawsuit.
I hope this gets massive publicity and anyone who saw their insurance skyrocket gets compensation and punitive damages. I hope gm gets nailed to the wall for this.

What gm was doing would be illegal for the FBI to do…. Our laws are so far behind modern technology that private companies are actively still doing what would be and still is illegal if the FBI did the same thing. This is where something called “ethics” is supposed to kick in…. Apparently that is in short supply at gm senior management…. Shocking I know….
Car Junkie 24 (05-01-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Old 04-25-2024, 03:39 PM
24RiptideBlue
Pro

What does "no OnStar" mean? You can decline the subscription service, and I think you can decline the free trial. Maybe. But, as far as I know, you can't shut down the 4G connection to the telematics module. If it was that easy, seems like that would have come up in the lengthy discussions to disable/disconnect the 4G antenna.

I think the app is needed to access and verify that the smart driver feature is off - of course it’s a moot point if it’s possible to prevent communication with OnStar.
You can call Onstar and ask if the Smartdriver feature is activated. My dealer who activated Onstar before I took delivery, told me it was off. Onstar told me it was on…. And turned it off for me….

The worst thing for me is as said above you cannot turn off the cars 4G connection. How gm pays for every car it sells to be permanently and continuously connected is staggering. AT&T is the gm provider and folks should complain that the connection they provide gm, with no means for owners to turn off, is maddening.

Among the far too much reading I have done on this subject it was recommended that owners NOT put the car app on their phone. I will never give a car company access to my phone. As I posted elsewhere the gm manual says an active Onstar account indicates “consent” to collect your information AND they do collect personal information. So gm isn’t just collecting your car’s information. It’s collecting your personal information. And through the app you give gm consent and access to everything on your phone.

Yea…. That’s a big negative ghost rider 😎

You can’t turn off the 4G connection, we need engineers to keep working on this because no one is truly safe until the transmissions stop. But canceling your Onstar and not having the app on your phone removes your “consent”. Does that matter? No idea but I was pondering sending a letter to gm HQ legal that says something to the effect of “I have cancelled Onstar and requested my vehicle VIN 123ABC be disconnected from the network…. Effective immediately I am canceling and revoking any consent gm/Onstar or any subsidiary believes I agreed to when purchasing this car”.

Will that make any difference? No idea but as gm makes “consent” something they seem to point to when people complain it can’t hurt to revoke any consent gm believes it has regarding my car.
Andybump (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 04:57 PM
JToddH
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Pretty quick

Originally Posted by okaythen
Is this the site to get the LN report? https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/request

How long does it take normally?
Mine took about 10 days and had no driving info.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:57 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Default More 'good' news

Did you know that 'LN' reports ALL info, including 'free' glass chip repairs? Having just changed insurance, I discovered that, thus effectively, my driving record was downgraded, despite zero tix or accidents, but elevated my risk profile and rates.

After some online reading, I recently used a RainX kit [$12@WallyWorld, NAPA, etc.} on another car and my first-timer result is visibly superior to either of two 'professional' jobs.There are many brand choices, but RainX was rated higher than most. No, I neither work for have any $ relationship with them.

Quick Reply: Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history