Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 10:43 PM
phalse
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramide
They record everything, including moving your C8 from the garage to the driveway.
jesus. thats.. a bit much =D
Old 05-08-2024, 01:14 PM
GatorsJMC
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 24RiptideBlue
Well pour yourself a tall one…. Because it’s a lot…
So I tried to get a report on my C8 driving history and LN is asking for a referral notice from my insurance company for reference. Recently cancelled my safe driver from OnStar and hoping that helps. I drive "spiritedly", regularly and can't wait to see the results!
How do I get a report? Is it a pay for it deal, or a free service?
Thanks for help!
Old 05-08-2024, 02:40 PM
ecdy
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat 2 Vette
What if you bought your car from a private party? I'm the 2nd owner.
​​​​​​I was not asked for any document from my insurance company when I requested both my LN and Verisk reports. What was the reason, if any, LN gave for requesting such a document? The Fair Credit Reporting Act does not seem to justify such a request.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:42 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,162 Posts

When this stuff first hit the fan, all you had to do was use the email links to NL and Verisk to get the reports. Seems like all the interest in this subject has made them more resistant to providing that information without making people jump through loops. I got my reports 2 weeks after asking for it with essentially just giving them my contact info.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:20 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 806 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorsJMC
So I tried to get a report on my C8 driving history and LN is asking for a referral notice from my insurance company for reference. Recently cancelled my safe driver from OnStar and hoping that helps. I drive "spiritedly", regularly and can't wait to see the results!
Thanks for help!
Depending on your state I think they have to give you a copy of the information they collect on you at least once a year…. I’m sure LN has been overwhelmed and could be concerned about potential legal action (and they should be). You should be able to get a copy of your information with a phone call or written request. Remind them it’s the law is they pushback.

Someone asked what happens if you buy your car used and that’s where it gets really interesting… Onstar states the owner “must call and cancel their account” if they sell the car. So considering how many times Corvettes can change hands… how many cars is gm collecting information on that are on their second or third owner and no one ever contacted Onstar? It would not surprise me at all if drivers are getting punished for aggressive driving in vehicles they bought new but have since sold. If you buy or sell your car, used or new, through a gm dealer I’m sure they manage the Onstar but privately or a non gm dealer my guess is that Onstar account is going to be connected to the original owner unless someone cancels it or a new owner initiates service.
The following users liked this post:
Car Junkie 24 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 05:23 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GatorsJMC
Thanks for help!
You might have to check your state but I think they have to give you a copy of the information they collect on you once a year…. For free… I would threaten legal action and/or call your state consumer protection bureau and tell them you need help getting this information.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:24 PM
David 2024
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Success - Data Deleted!

Once you have verified that LexisNexis has telematics on your VIN - call them and request that your telematics data be deleted. I got confirmation a month after and they used the phrase “the data was unverifiable”. I got an updated .PDF and it was completely wiped. My only exposure now is if the insurance company got it before it beforehand. My guess is that if anyone disputes the telematics - they simply delete it instead of fighting it.
Old 05-15-2024, 04:04 PM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 446 Posts

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/23/t...a-consent.html
That article is behind a paywall but did go into how people got enrolled in Smart Driver+ without their consent. GM provided dealer incentives based on enrollment rate. Salespeople bonuses (at least at the dealer in the article) were also based on that rate. So instead of letting customers make the choice the salespeople were checking the boxes for them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dads2kconvertible:
Car Junkie 24 (05-16-2024), RKCRLR (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 04:12 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,397 Likes on 3,502 Posts

Originally Posted by Dads2kconvertible
That article is behind a paywall but did go into how people got enrolled in Smart Driver+ without their consent. GM provided dealer incentives based on enrollment rate. Salespeople bonuses (at least at the dealer in the article) were also based on that rate. So instead of letting customers make the choice the salespeople were checking the boxes for them.
I suspect this is the case. If iit is, is GM going to get the blame for not controlling their dealers better or are the fingers going to be pointed at the dealers individually and the plaintiffs told to go collect from them?
The following 2 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
Car Junkie 24 (05-16-2024), ^&right (05-16-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 07:43 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

My dealer activated Onstar before I even saw the car…. And activated SmartDriver during the process…. Because I refuse to put the gm app on my phone I emailed the dealer when this story came out to ask if they activated SmartDriver. Instead of answering my email they called me (nothing in writing that way) and spent 20 minutes dancing around the subject and eventually said “no” he didn’t activate Smartdriver in my car.

I called Onstar as few days later and they said SmartDriver was indeed activated. There is obviously major incentives for dealers to activate Onstar and SmartDriver and they all do it. And then lie about it. That was my experience anyway…
Car Junkie 24 (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 11:59 AM
Car Junkie 24
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 87 Posts

Non-paywall version: https://archive.fo/4LUjV

Last edited by Car Junkie 24; 05-16-2024 at 12:12 PM.
phalse (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 11:44 PM
LeJerk
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Is this legit?

https://join.classaction.org/sign-up...motors-privacy

"The firm handling this matter is Milberg Coleman Bryson Phillips Grossman"
Old 05-18-2024, 01:18 AM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LeJerk
Is this legit?

Lots of firms smell money… maybe check with your state attorney general…

according to The NY Times… gm and it’s dealers.. signed up customers to Onstar before delivery (like mine did) and signed them up for SmartDriver (like mine did) and then didn’t tell the customer (like mine did) arranged for gm to gather data that ended up being used by insurance companies to justify higher premiums. Some of these gm customers have suffered financial harm through higher insurance premiums and lawyers think they can get it back and get a slice. gm is a fat pockets target…. But they deserve to be taken to the cleaners otherwise they’ll do it again when the furor dies down. ​​​​​
^&right (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 09:30 AM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by LeJerk
Is this legit?

Wonderful. Another law firm that will make millions, a few clients at the top of the class action will make thousands and the rest will get a check for $20. I’m not saying GM shouldn’t be held responsible but there has to be a more amicable way tho handle this.
phalse (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 09:56 AM
rawbar
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,010 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDevil828
Wonderful. Another law firm that will make millions, a few clients at the top of the class action will make thousands and the rest will get a check for $20. I’m not saying GM shouldn’t be held responsible but there has to be a more amicable way tho handle this.
Are you in this to make a buck? This wasted a ton of my time and I'm still waiting for confirmation from verisk that they've deleted my records (LN already has). I don't care if I get nothing from a lawsuit, I do care that if GM has to pay out big, it will discourage them from doing stupid **** like this again.
Old 05-18-2024, 12:45 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rawbar
Are you in this to make a buck? This wasted a ton of my time and I'm still waiting for confirmation from verisk that they've deleted my records (LN already has). I don't care if I get nothing from a lawsuit, I do care that if GM has to pay out big, it will discourage them from doing stupid **** like this again.
Same… just let me enjoy my car without fear of being spied and reported on….
Old 05-18-2024, 02:38 PM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by rawbar
I just chastised the whole idea of class action and you ask if I’m in it to make a buck 🙄. Don’t kid yourself. Even if they pay big, it will happen again down the road with them, or another corporation. Call me pessimistic but it happens too often, again and again.

Get notified of new replies

To Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Old 05-18-2024, 04:00 PM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDevil828
Even if they pay big, it will happen again down the road with them, or another corporation. Call me pessimistic but it happens too often, again and again.
Financial penalties are one tool to punish. The question isn't will a class action stop this behavior forever, by everyone. The question is what tools are available to punish GM for this AND discourage this sort of behavior from everyone else.
If you have a better idea let's implement that too. A CA does not have to be the only action taken.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:03 PM
steverino77
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heard Onstar stopped

I watched a news show (it was back east). A women had onstart on a GM sedan. Her insurance went up a lot and she found onstar had been sending events to data brokers and there are some insurance companies which subscribe to this data. The new reporters reached out to Onstar and they said they discontinued sending events to data brokers in March 2024. I did not see any events on my report past 3/8.2024.

Does anyone have events past March 2024?

I don't think it has anything to do with smart driver.... Its Onstar, If they are still sending events, I will cancel. I think they got a big black eye from that news show.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:28 AM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by steverino77
I watched a news show (it was back east). A women had onstart on a GM sedan. Her insurance went up a lot and she found onstar had been sending events to data brokers and there are some insurance companies which subscribe to this data. The new reporters reached out to Onstar and they said they discontinued sending events to data brokers in March 2024. I did not see any events on my report past 3/8.2024.

Does anyone have events past March 2024?

I don't think it has anything to do with smart driver.... Its Onstar, If they are still sending events, I will cancel. I think they got a big black eye from that news show.
it has everything to do with SmartDriver. SmartDriver is (or was) a feature within Onstar. Onstar collected the Data, SmartDriver categorized the data into the “hard braking…. Hard acceleration events”. That categorized data was sold to LexusNexus who sold it to anyone who wanted it like auto insurance companies.

gm claims to have discontinued sending/selling data to Lexus/Nexus in March. gm later claimed that SmartDriver would be shut down and the software removed from vehicles….

Now gm tries to rebuild the shredded brand called Onstar. They pushed so hard to get money out of it they screwed the customer then themselves when they got caught.

Last edited by 24RiptideBlue; 05-21-2024 at 01:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history