Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 10:38 AM
MebeMebe
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

The NYTimes piece is interesting.

LexisNexis is a New York-based global data broker with a “Risk Solutions” division that caters to the auto insurance industry and has traditionally kept tabs on car accidents and tickets. Upon Mr. Dahl’s request, LexisNexis sent him a 258-page “consumer disclosure report,” which it must provide per the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

What it contained stunned him: more than 130 pages detailing each time he or his wife had driven the Bolt over the previous six months. It included the dates of 640 trips, their start and end times, the distance driven and an accounting of any speeding, hard braking or sharp accelerations. The only thing it didn’t have is where they had driven the car.

On a Thursday morning in June for example, the car had been driven 7.33 miles in 18 minutes; there had been two rapid accelerations and two incidents of hard braking.

According to the report, the trip details had been provided by General Motors — the manufacturer of the Chevy Bolt. LexisNexis analyzed that driving data to create a risk score “for insurers to use as one factor of many to create more personalized insurance coverage,” according to a LexisNexis spokesman, Dean Carney. Eight insurance companies had requested information about Mr. Dahl from LexisNexis over the previous month.
OnStar is G.M.’s Internet-connected service for its cars and Smart Driver is a free, gamified feature within G.M.’s connected car apps (all part of OnStar, but branded MyChevrolet, MyBuick, MyGMC and MyCadillac).

Smart Driver can “help you become a better driver,” according to a corporate website, by tracking and rating seatbelt use and driving habits. In a recent promotional campaign, an Instagram influencer used Smart Driver in a competition with her husband to find out who could collect the most digital badges, such as “brake genius” and “limit hero.”
It is possible that G.M. drivers who insisted they didn’t opt in were unknowingly signed up at the dealership, where salespeople can receive bonuses for successful enrollment of customers in OnStar services, including Smart Driver, according to a company manual.

May not be a popular opinion around here; but this is a thing only government can solve. Otherwise it's a race to the bottom as car companies look for ways to turn you into more profit. You wanna know where companies like Google and Facebook don't screw around with personal data? Europe. Why? Because of rules like GDPR, DMA, and the enforcement and massive fines that sit behind them.

Corporations gonna milk you and invade your privacy unless it's not profitable for them to do so. And to be clear: I work in tech. I have absolutely been called upon to build systems that create this kind of invasion of privacy. I've turned down some pretty lucrative offers from Facebook in particular because there's no getting around they do harm at scale but that's me wanting to live with myself, not a solution to the problem. If we really want this fixed, we have to have appropriate regulation with enough teeth that companies feel the need to follow it.
The following users liked this post:
Formula52 (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 10:40 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 6,119 Likes on 3,081 Posts

It's been available as on option in the myChevrolet app the entire time I've had my C8 (~3 years), but I have not enabled it for obvious reasons.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:05 AM
bob118
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Whatever there bidding on, they will recoup that back when they jack up your insurance policy
Old 03-11-2024, 11:14 AM
BasicMember
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Andybump
My statement was ambiguous. I'll go back and fix it. I was trying to say that the right to collect data (if they even have it) is only when the data are provided. That right to collect those data (whether granted intentionally, inadvertently, or by law) does not include forcing one to provide the data in my opinion. Meaning its not illegal to disconnect OnStar. If you think it is, see if you can find a statement that says "interference with the right to collect data, by turning off, disabling. disconnecting a source of data is prohibited by law and carries a penalty of ....yada yada". Such a rule, if it exists, would apply to cell phones, your lap top, etc. And, I made no comment about whether one knows they are providing those data. It was about whether or not you can disconnect the telematics module.
I was asking a question and I doubt it is actually enforcible to intentionally interrupt communications at least not without other extenuating circumstances. But who knows for sure what we've signed away. Also consider the consequences on the warranty if such action were to interfere with an update meant to comply with anything from emission standards or vehicle performance not to mention mechanical failure if coverage is contested. Not something I would want to chance.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:26 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,294 Likes on 6,058 Posts

Default GM is selling OnStar data to insurance companies

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/t...LLUpsXBOy91f18

I mean we all know it and carry around personal tracking devices daily (phones), but curious what the car reports if you don't activate onstar (I haven't in my current Z06) and don't use the app with the "safe driver" stuff activated. Also, there's a setting that allows it to record your voice prompts and send those back to a cloud data base in the name of improving the voice recognition.

Data is currency and GM has decided to lean into that... your car is recording everything you do, how you do it, and where you go.
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
5632 (03-11-2024), Car Junkie 24 (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 11:30 AM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 507 Likes on 303 Posts

I just perused my account on chevrolet web site. With Smart Driver off, the insurance scores are not calculated. So, people, just turn off smart driver.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:43 AM
CutterCade
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/t...LLUpsXBOy91f18

I mean we all know it and carry around personal tracking devices daily (phones), but curious what the car reports if you don't activate onstar (I haven't in my current Z06) and don't use the app with the "safe driver" stuff activated. Also, there's a setting that allows it to record your voice prompts and send those back to a cloud data base in the name of improving the voice recognition.

Data is currency and GM has decided to lean into that... your car is recording everything you do, how you do it, and where you go.
Great to know, and a great article about it. I just went in and opted out of Smart Driver, and urge everyone to do the same. I didn't sign up for it, so It must have been set up automatically by the dealer or OnStar. Ridiculous!
Old 03-11-2024, 11:54 AM
Bluehinder
Drifting

Received 1,392 Likes on 575 Posts

That is horrifying.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluehinder:
Car Junkie 24 (03-11-2024), CutterCade (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 11:55 AM
Khaberst
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

This seems to be like the 5th onstar thread about data collection in the last week. Is there a way to just unplug the cell modem in these cars?
Old 03-11-2024, 12:05 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

I shared the NYT article in another thread... I'd wager that even though I have never turned on OnStar it's still reporting all my data.
The following users liked this post:
snork (03-16-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 12:06 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Khaberst
This seems to be like the 5th onstar thread about data collection in the last week. Is there a way to just unplug the cell modem in these cars?

Problem is this will affect OTA updates.
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
Car Junkie 24 (03-11-2024), Ice9812 (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,358 Likes on 3,485 Posts

My 2020 had Smart Driver enabled by default (or I don't remember enabling it) and I had a lot of "hard" events on my LexisNexis report.
Old 03-11-2024, 12:15 PM
roy826
Instructor

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

Just opt out of it is all you have to do. They sell anything or give it away after that and you get a lawyer.
Old 03-11-2024, 12:26 PM
BasicMember
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 91 Posts

How would L/N know if I'm passing a tractor on a a two lane highway or just having some fun or would it even matter. This would be a deal killer. Was it also on the C7s I wonder. I think having a performance car in this age of control is fast becoming a thing of the past.
Old 03-11-2024, 12:35 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,358 Likes on 3,485 Posts

Originally Posted by roy826
Just opt out of it is all you have to do. They sell anything or give it away after that and you get a lawyer.
I wonder about this. If you catch them selling your data after you opt out I imagine there could be big penalties and civil consequences. Doe anyone know what they are? The way some of these company these bureaucracies work it seems like there would be some opportunities for enterprising lawyers.
Old 03-11-2024, 12:42 PM
magneto10
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

My Chevrolet app just updated about a month ago- if it was there before I didn’t know about it
it definitely turned on by that update- I had one trip logged from last week. I turned it off

Mine is a 23
Old 03-11-2024, 12:50 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,328 Likes on 3,530 Posts

I hope AI can attend to and interpret it all for the real humans ultimately involved, since I cannot think of anything much more boring than what they would glean from me and my vehicles.

Get notified of new replies

To Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Old 03-11-2024, 01:14 PM
mefly2
Drifting

Received 363 Likes on 216 Posts

Just turned mine off as well - driving a 23.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:22 PM
CLAVERY
Advanced

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Hot topic in the automotive world today. Its not very transparent for a customer what your data is being used for.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:38 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by BasicMember
I was asking a question and I doubt it is actually enforcible to intentionally interrupt communications at least not without other extenuating circumstances. But who knows for sure what we've signed away. Also consider the consequences on the warranty if such action were to interfere with an update meant to comply with anything from emission standards or vehicle performance not to mention mechanical failure if coverage is contested. Not something I would want to chance.
There is always a warranty risk when you mess with the car. "The warranty manual indicates that "damage caused by .....Alteration, modification, or tampering to the vehicle, including, but not limited to the body, chassis, powertrain, driveline, software, or other components after final assembly by GM " is not covered. There is risk that the modification caused damage, and also a risk that a dealer/GM could attribute damage to alternation even if it was not the cause. As for updates, the manual gives instruction on how to accept, or to refuse and update. Thee is no requirement to accept an update. Folks have brought up the possibility that an update could be necessary to address a defect or otherwise maintain the warranty. If so, it my opinion that GM needs to treat that as a recall and notify the owner, like they would for any issue critical to vehicle function, safety, or emissions. When that happens the dealer can make the necessary correction. I do wonder how the dealer installs software updates. Do they use the wireless connection? Which one - 4G or the WiFi? Or the port under the dash? My guess is they either use the port, or Wifi. I do not think they would use the 4G connection.

Quick Reply: Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history