Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing ACS 1VM but need to remove ceramic for double sided tape

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 07:57 PM
C8PITT
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Installing ACS 1VM but need to remove ceramic for double sided tape

Hi,

I have ordered ACS 1VM side rockers. That being said I now need to remove the small area where the ceramic coating is so that the double sided tape will adhere to it properly.

Any advice on how to do this?
Old 02-23-2024, 08:10 PM
Lefty32
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by C8PITT
Hi,

I have ordered ACS 1VM side rockers. That being said I now need to remove the small area where the ceramic coating is so that the double sided tape will adhere to it properly.

Any advice on how to do this?
Given that they use rivets as well, I'd test the 3M tape's adhesion on the cleaned body panel without trying to remove the ceramic coating. IF it is just too slick, then you have to look at coating removal, which I understand to pretty much always involve abrasive removal techniques.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:33 PM
BigKevO
Instructor

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

I wouldn’t worry about removing the ceramic since the side rockers use fasteners in addition to the tape. That 3m is some sticky stuff.

Removing the ceramic is going to take some work. Polishing it off with a cleaner wax that has a light cutting compound is the only way to get it off. I would use Meguires Mirror Glaze 3 and a RO polisher or Mirror Glaze 9 if you are going it by hand. Then I would was it with dish soap. Might want to tape off everything except where the tape will be mounted before polishing.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:07 PM
jayse45
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

I installed mine on PPF with ceramic. Way too much work to remove both so I said f it. The rivets will hold it in place, anyways.
The following users liked this post:
Lefty32 (02-23-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 12:34 AM
LongboardDelight
Advanced

Received 70 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jayse45
I installed mine on PPF with ceramic. Way too much work to remove both so I said f it. The rivets will hold it in place, anyways.
keep us posted on how this works out. Because I had front ppf to the rockers as well and wanna add the side skirts but wondering how it’s gonna work out lol
Old 02-24-2024, 12:36 AM
MarkMeHopeful
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,590 Likes on 865 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Don't listen to these guys who say don't worry about the ceramic. The double sided tape will NOT stick to the ceramic coating and you DO want the tape as well as the rivets. I suggest you google the question since you're not getting any wisdom here. I had a ceramic pro dealer install my Z06 Jake rear fender stripes since they had to remove the ceramic to add the stripe but I don't know what they did to remove it.
The following users liked this post:
SMOKN C8 (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 12:49 AM
Ohioplayer1916
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

Watch the ACS vid on youtube regarding the skirts. It tells you to clean that area before instal

Get notified of new replies

To Installing ACS 1VM but need to remove ceramic for double sided tape

Quick Reply: Installing ACS 1VM but need to remove ceramic for double sided tape