Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans update…

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 05:24 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,931 Likes on 2,998 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbC
Why would you think this?
Because the tolerances are likely further away from where they began life brand new from the factory. A quick learn procedure is typically the 1st step (assuming no external case leaks are detected), and often times only one needed, when diagnosing an ill-shifting modern transmission with age/miles on it. One of our Jeeps, that hasn't lived an easy life, is 5 years old w/60k miles on it and the improvement in shift quality was night & day.
Old 04-08-2024, 05:33 PM
flyforC4
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanD
I really hate to say it but from my last few years of visits to Chevrolet service, I don't trust the service manager or writer to tell me the truth or what was really done. I don't expect the writer to understand my problem or how a car works. I don't trust the mechanic to do all the step of a procedure, to even do what is supposed to be done or to do what I'm billed for. I'm on the fence if they actually swapped a part I'm billed for or used genuine GM parts or fluids.

This opinion has been formed over the last few years and over a couple different Corvettes, I don't own any other GM vehicles. I am trusting of the service departments for the other vehicles we own.

I also don't trust any sales person, manager or finance/ paper work person and that bleeds over to other brands. I feel all you are is a mark to them and how much can they wring out of you before you'll go elsewhere.

It really pains me to say it. I have such a bad feeling about one dealership, just a couple miles from my house that I wanted to look at a new 2024 in the colors and optioned in a way I would consider and I made a point to ride one of my motorcycles in to look at it and avoided the sales guy. They do look at you differently coming in on a bike.

yep, sad but true. This dealership is particularly badly run on the front side. Hopefully the techs are good.
Old 04-08-2024, 05:57 PM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 363 Likes on 222 Posts

Well, the last straw at the close by dealer was I bottomed out my C6 a couple years ago pulling into a parking lot, the sidewlk was raised... When I did it immediately threw a code. IIt was a flapper valve code and I reset it a couple time before going in. The cute tattooed hip chick writer had no clue what I was talking about, didn't even really care or listen to me. They say they replaced the valve but it was a bad computer (I really doubt it but how can you argue it? I didn't get the bad valve and the computer was turned over as core). When they said it was ready I went down (less than 5 minutes away), paid the bill, got my fob and went to the car. Got in and the whole dash was dead like nothing was plugged in. Battery was connected as I got lights and chimes. It was 5 and there was no one from service still there. The SALES manager took my fob, made a note and said call in the morning. I asked if he would put it in the enclose service acceptance area for the night and he said he would. Went by the next morning and it was still sitting where it was the evening before. They called late morning to pick it up. Again went down and it was in the same spot (mechanic probably worked on it in the parking lot) and this time everything was working but the carpet and panel on the passenger side was up and open still. I asked if another mechanic could fix that and verify everything was correct. Their answer was the mechanic that screwed up is responsible to fix their mistakes, no. And they couldn't look at it right then, to come back again. Third times a charm and I got it the next trip over.

I wrote a letter to the dealership and wrote a honest review. The letter was never acknowledged, and the review somehow never showed up...

So now I have a C8 and I can tell another story of woe about another dealers service service and what they did... Another day.

Originally Posted by flyforC4
yep, sad but true. This dealership is particularly badly run on the front side. Hopefully the techs are good.

Old 04-08-2024, 06:44 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,590 Likes on 14,135 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hopefully it is just a learning process for the new software.

Old 04-08-2024, 06:53 PM
JToddH
Racer

Received 350 Likes on 151 Posts
Default On a related note…

My ‘24 (built Feb 19th) felt a little clunky at first, especially 2nd to 3rd gear. After 2,200 miles, all seems pretty smooth.

Is that normal during break-in?
Old 04-08-2024, 07:00 PM
robob
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by plmmd
that's a mistake they're 'chevette" certified
lol
Old 04-08-2024, 07:05 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,931 Likes on 2,998 Posts

Originally Posted by JToddH
My ‘24 (built Feb 19th) felt a little clunky at first, especially 2nd to 3rd gear. After 2,200 miles, all seems pretty smooth.

Is that normal during break-in?
Yes. The clutch discs are wearing in.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kracka:
Fast Dawg (04-09-2024), JToddH (04-08-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 02:23 PM
flyforC4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kracka
Yes. The clutch discs are wearing in.
Kracka! You just cost me 169$ for the bidirectional OBD scanner.

Thanks, always appreciate your inputs.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:36 PM
flyforC4
Intermediate

“Kid” tech reflashed the trans. Back to normal. Love happy ending.
The following 4 users liked this post by flyforC4:
drheim (04-10-2024), hamta (04-10-2024), joeking (04-10-2024), robob (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 04:39 PM
EvanD
Drifting

That’s awesome and thanks for letting us know.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:53 AM
MarkMeHopeful
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,595 Likes on 868 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Another example of the dealer "finally" getting it right - scary!
Old 04-10-2024, 02:16 PM
JayRo
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm dealing with this right now and now have to pay for a drain and flush. I was like damn dude I just brought this car in it was fine You do the reflash and now my car is f*****. GM says the only way to fix it is to do a drain and flush which is not covered by the warranties f*** my life.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:00 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,908 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by JayRo
I'm dealing with this right now and now have to pay for a drain and flush. I was like damn dude I just brought this car in it was fine You do the reflash and now my car is f*****. GM says the only way to fix it is to do a drain and flush which is not covered by the warranties f*** my life.
I do not understand if fully, but there are some items in the Service Manual that suggests that the transmission may have some 'adpative learning". The is a DTC that can be set for Transmission Adaptive Values Not Learned. One of the remedies is "Perform the scan tool learn/reset function: Transmission Service Fast Learn." Here is what is said about that procedure. Note that one reason for performing it is if there was a "software update" which there was in in your case. Looks like it could be performed even if a DTC is not set. Ask them to perform this. Ask also to see the bulletin calling for the update you received. There should be a procedure associated with what they did,. That procedure may or may not call for the Transmission Service Fast Learn.

"Description
The learn procedure performs a series of individual clutch applications which allows the control module K71to learn initial clutch apply pressures.
The control module uses the learn values for clutch control and timing of shifts.
When to Perform the Procedure
Note :
Failure to perform this procedure may result in poor system performance, DTCs being set, or customer dissatisfaction.
This procedure is required when the following component has been repaired, replaced, removed, or serviced:

K71 Transmission Control Module
T12 Automatic Transmission Assembly
Any condition/repair related to the following: Shift Quality
Calibration Update or Software Update

Clutch Assembly or Torque Converter Assembly

Old 04-10-2024, 03:15 PM
EvanD
Drifting

First it's not GM saying this it's the dealer and they should reflash the transmission again to be sure it was done right. Others have reported the same and a reflash fixed it.

Quick Reply: Trans update…