C8 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace

C8 brake bleed discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 10:45 AM
CZS
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by baron95
I haven't done it on a C8, but that is the procedure I have used on every vehicle I've had. If you do it exactly as you describe, and tighten the bleed screws without letting pressure drop, there is zero chance of introducing air in the system, and there is no way to mess it up. I would not go all the way down to min line (I'm just paranoid about it), just in case the electric booster kicks in or you inadvertently leave the bleed screw open too long.

I've been doing this forever. Every time I changed brake pads I repeat the above procedure to get old fluid out of the calipers. This way I always have fresh fluid in the system.

Your procedure is still the best way, IMHO. Good luck.

P.S. I assume you have a clear tube and bottle to catch the bled fluid. Good way to detect air, impurities, etc. You can also buy a fluid moisture tester and keep track of moisture content on your fluid. (hint: you will never see any significant moisture on a newer, well maintained car)
Excellent news, thanks for the feedback regarding my approach. I have one of the valved bleeder bottles like you described, so should be covered there. Sounds like my weekend plans are coming together, lol.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:22 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 363 Likes on 285 Posts

I have done 2 cars now with the pedal method. No issue.

On the second one with the front calipers off I had to open the door /reconnect battery etc and of course the car complained.

Got it all bled and yes it took a few minutes to cycle and clear codes but it worked fine.

I use gravity (14.7 psi) and then the master cyl. to create pressure. I tried a Motive once on a different car but it felt over complicated and exposed the fluid to so much air. I like having the nearest person with a leg describe the firm pedal.

YMMV

-Ken

The following 2 users liked this post by KNSBrakes:
CZS (10-14-2020), mjcourt (10-14-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 02:35 AM
baron95
Racer

Received 271 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm confused here. Why do you guys need to reconnect the battery to open the door to press the pedal (for those using that method)?

Can't you just use the mechanical release on the floor or the mechanical key on the fob?
The following users liked this post:
KNSBrakes (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 07:31 AM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,017 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by baron95
I'm confused here. Why do you guys need to reconnect the battery to open the door to press the pedal (for those using that method)?

Can't you just use the mechanical release on the floor or the mechanical key on the fob?
There is always that one guy who figures it out and tells you a better way after you’ve already made that mistake.
CZS (10-15-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 10:04 PM
baron95
Racer

Received 271 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by RussM05
There is always that one guy who figures it out and tells you a better way after you’ve already made that mistake.
Didn't mean it as a knock - I was wondering if I had missed something and the battery needed to be reconnected for some reason.

Been there, done that (mistakes while working on my cars) countless times. I appreciate that you have gone through it, so we can learn from you.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:02 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by CZS
Has anyone used their Motive bleeder to pressure bleed their C8 brakes yet? I'm about to order the Motive kit, but am a total novice to using it. My plan is to remove some fluid from the master cylinder, then top off with fresh fluid and use the Motive to pressure bleed each caliper until the fluid level is down to just above the 'minimum' line. Then fill and repeat until all four corners are bled. Anyone used this method successfully yet?
I did exactly that it worked fine,no issues. I didn't even disconnect the power but it was because I didn't know to and figure I got lucky. I'll disconnect the power next time.

I did buy another cap and quick disconnect for the motive that seal better, it's the same one I use on the C7. Also note that you need to add fluid very slowly to the reservoir to fill it in between bleed cycles.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:32 AM
kcaidds168@yahoo.com
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a issue letting the motive bleeder fill up the reservoir? I normally bleed my ss 1le with motive bleeder by filling up the jar with Castro srf, never have any air bubble issue . Thanks for any advices
RickGilbert (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 12:20 PM
RickGilbert
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good question - Any body have an answer from actual C8 DIY?

Originally Posted by kcaidds168@yahoo.com
Is there a issue letting the motive bleeder fill up the reservoir? I normally bleed my ss 1le with motive bleeder by filling up the jar with Castro srf, never have any air bubble issue . Thanks for any advices

On the weekend schedule, love to know what the experience is with just using pressure bleeder to keep reservoir filled on C8. THANKS!
Old 09-09-2023, 10:58 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,456 Likes on 808 Posts

Can anyone recommend a cap that will hold pressure for a pressure bleeder?
Old 09-10-2023, 08:58 AM
March
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

My Motive brand brake bleeder cap works. I have metal one fit for "most cars".
allblackeverything (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 06:07 PM
allblackeverything
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts

Motive sells their late model GM adapter that fits our car perfectly
c5racr1 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 07:21 AM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 463 Likes on 331 Posts

Changed the fluid to SRF probably about a month after getting the car in August of 2020. I pressure bleed all the calipers after 2 track days to put fresh fluid I the calipers. Been SRF since then, and check the water content of the fluid with a Brake fluid checker and it has always been fine. I see no reason to change back to a lower grade of fluid after a track day. IMO

Quick Reply: C8 brake bleed discussion