C8 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace

TPMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 08:35 PM
bpk1959
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
Default TPMS Question

sent my build into the dealer today and he told me that the gloss black wheels are on constraint and I might have to switch back to standard wheels. I'm going to track this car so I was thinking about a second set of tires and wheels anyway. So buying a second set really isn't a big deal. does anyone know if the tpms is programmed to the specific sensors that came with the car? can you run a second set of wheels and tires without having to reprogram the tpms

Last edited by bpk1959; 02-26-2024 at 10:49 PM. Reason: needs to be moved to tech or general discussion
Old 02-27-2024, 12:07 AM
MarkMeHopeful
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,574 Likes on 857 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The tpms is not programmed to the car per se. If you put the correct type of tpms on the new wheels and tires the car will learn them in a short drive after mounting them. Just be sure that you have either all four sensors or none, as the car doesn't like a mismatch (one or more missing but not all missing).
The following users liked this post:
Corvette4Life_01 (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 06:16 PM
NoMatter
Trackfecta
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 760 Likes on 389 Posts

I’d recommend getting a GM TPMS relearn tool from let’s say Amazon for right at $10. The relearn procedure is within the DIC screen. Makes quick work instantly on the spot. This way you know instantly that they are working and syncing up. Especially when at the track and swapping for any reason. Just driving for myself has taken 6-10 miles. I like to be informed instantly and have one less worry going out.

Doesn’t hurt to pick up one or two extras to have around.

Old 02-28-2024, 01:24 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,292 Posts

I recommend just allowing the Auto Learn feature that is described in the Owner's Manual, and reported to work just fine by many forum members. You do not want to activate the relearn feature that is in the DIC - as noted above that feature is only for use if you want to use the external tool. The Auto Learn feature is easy, quick, requires not action on your part other than to drive the car, and no tool is required.

MarkMeHopeful (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 04:00 PM
Sweetness34
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

I put aftermarket wheels on my car and bought a set of OEM TPMS sensors. The car "learned" the sensors without me having to do anything.
langhorne_bill (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 08:36 PM
mikegr
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by SPOHN
I’d recommend getting a GM TPMS relearn tool from let’s say Amazon for right at $10. The relearn procedure is within the DIC screen. Makes quick work instantly on the spot. This way you know instantly that they are working and syncing up. Especially when at the track and swapping for any reason. Just driving for myself has taken 6-10 miles. I like to be informed instantly and have one less worry going out.

Doesn’t hurt to pick up one or two extras to have around.
You have any specific one that has worked well? I am going to pick one up for the exact reason you state. Going to track I dont always have time to drive around to get the TPMS in my track wheels to acquire. Would be great to do it on the spot if needed.

This is what I see online

NoMatter (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 08:51 PM
NoMatter
Trackfecta
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 760 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegr
You have any specific one that has worked well? I am going to pick one up for the exact reason you state. Going to track I dont always have time to drive around to get the TPMS in my track wheels to acquire. Would be great to do it on the spot if needed.

This is what I see online
That’s the one. It was $5 two years ago. Never had an issue. Once you activate the relearn. Get out of the car and put the antenna portion right at the valve stem pretty much touching the tires sidewall seems to be the sweet spot. Then press the button. You can even hit the button sooner and just place it up there by the valve stem. The car will honk the horn and flash the lights to verify. Move on to the next. Takes about 15 seconds if that for all 4. The pressure will instantly display.

Yeah at the track it’s very helpful. I’ve helped a few people trouble shoot with this. This is why I have a couple spare TPMS. If you run them they all have to be working. This way if you had to replace one, you don’t have to worry about a shop having one or not while tracking. Reduce time and possible issues.
Andybump (02-29-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 08:53 PM
mikegr
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by SPOHN
That’s the one. It was $5 two years ago. Never had an issue. Once you activate the relearn. Get out of the car and put the antenna portion right at the valve stem pretty much touching the tires sidewall seems to be the sweet spot. Then press the button. You can even hit the button sooner and just place it up there by the valve stem. The car will honk the horn and flash the lights to verify. Move on to the next. Takes about 15 seconds if that for all 4. The pressure will instantly display.

Yeah at the track it’s very helpful. I’ve helped a few people trouble shoot with this. This is why I have a couple spare TPMS. If you run them they all have to be working. This way if you had to replace one, you don’t have to worry about a shop having one or not while tracking. Reduce time and possible issues.
awesome thanks
Old 02-28-2024, 10:06 PM
bpk1959
Intermediate

that is a neat tool for 8.79. I didn't think you could get anything that would work on a c8 for less than 10.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:11 PM
bpk1959
Intermediate

that is a neat tool for 8.79. I didn't think you could get anything that would work on a c8 for less than 10.
Old 04-27-2024, 03:32 PM
Wadejesu
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

How do you back out of the relearn procedure or cancel it, everytime I tap tire pressure it says relearn, I try to cancel and it still says relearn.
Old 04-27-2024, 05:45 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Originally Posted by Wadejesu
How do you back out of the relearn procedure or cancel it, everytime I tap tire pressure it says relearn, I try to cancel and it still says relearn.
I assume you got there via the options menu on the dic and used the thumbwheel to scroll to Tire Pressure then pushed the thumbwheel to get Relearn. And that is all it does. It purpose is to initiate the TPMS relearn process that requires an external tool. You do NOT want to use that if you are just using the auto learn feature. To "back out of it" you just push the left arrow next to the thumbwheel and it will take you back to the menu. That is how you alway back out of menu items.

If you are trying to see tire pressure (and tire status), you must use display design in that same options menu, then select tire status as one of the display tiles that you want. You have to deselect one of the tiles you are already displaying to do that. I use the track mode theme for my display regardless of driver mode because it allows 4 tiles, vs only 2 tiles for the other display themes.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:34 AM
Wadejesu
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Thank You Andybump
Andybump (04-28-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Question

Quick Reply: TPMS Question