Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Z06 teaser and reveal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 02:25 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,389 Likes on 2,075 Posts

Originally Posted by lisagurl
"General Motors Co. has set a 2035 target date for phasing out gasoline- and diesel-powered vehicles from its showrooms globally, among the first major auto makers to put a timeline on transitioning to a fully electric lineup." WSJ

My Lexus is 25 years old will my Z06 be obsolete in 15 years? This sounds more like hype than reality.
Great target, won’t happen if the consumer does not go along. Remember when they all started producing smaller more fuel efficient sedans for environmental reason? Then the public just switched over to trucks and SUVs. Guess what Gord stopped producing? Smaller fuel efficient sedans. So unless there is a government mandate, or huge taxes on fuel, the market will buy what they want, or just not buy. How long will the car companies last if sales fall 50 percent for 4-5 years. What will happen to politicians that voted that crap and continue to support it? They will get voted out, and Regs adjusted.
The following users liked this post:
vettesweetnos (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 02:47 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,319 Likes on 2,229 Posts

Originally Posted by C8J
Just fyi, I didn't mean to mislead. That is the C8R, not a SORP. Lol. But it shows what is possible. The post was in reply to #119 by @vettesweetnos

"People seem to forget that the C8R and the C8 Z06 were designed and developed together first, before the base stingray was. The C8 stingray is a toned down version of the "widebody" car that was developed alongside the C8R race car. "
Which means......crossing fingers on that NA goodness!!!

Please gm dont let us down!!!
Old 01-28-2021, 03:22 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,090 Likes on 1,973 Posts

Originally Posted by New car dude
Sorry, but every automotive news organization says its NA. The ZR1 might be boosted, but the Z06 is a NA FPC so far as the reports say. Again, this is a track focused car. I don't mean drag strip either. GM knows how to build cars, and I will bet this NA engine is a monster on track. We are looking for lap times, and not drag strip times. If the Z06 is as fast or faster than a 992 GT3 rs, then GM did a remarkable job. That's the standard. GT2RS is a rare car.
I'll believe it when I see it. 0-60 has nothing to do with lap times, and yet that's the top line statistic whenever anyone talks about this car. OMG sub-3 seconds!!! This car sells almost entirely in America, and America doesn't give a **** about lap times. It's either stop light drag racing (0-60) or straight lines on a runway or freeway. People aren't taking supercharged Z06s and ZR1s and adding more and more boost because they want better lap times. They want a big number on a dyno sheet and bragging rights on the road or runway.

I don't like it, but that's how it is here.

GM won't sell a Z06 with a smaller number in the brochure than the previous car. They might do it if they come up with a new name though. I still consider that highly unlikely, but it's not impossible.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:37 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AzDave47
IMSA just issued a press release today confirming that GTLM is done at the end of the 2021 season and they will replace it with a GTD Pro series like they run in Europe and elsewhere for GT3 spec cars. They indicate 9 of the makes that run in the Current GTD series are eligible GT3 cars. GT3 rules will change in 2022 but EVO kits will be available to upgrade current cars.

https://www.imsa.com/news/2021/01/28...ship-for-2022/

This is likely where Corvette will race next year, hopefully with factory and customer cars.

This could be a problem though:

The ACO, and its partners at the FIA World Endurance Championship, do not permit GT3-based cars in any of the classes that race at 24 Hours of Le Mans or the WEC’s other rounds.
From: https://racer.com/2021/01/28/imsa-gt...-gtlm-in-2022/

So if Corvette 'downsizes' into GT3, that's good for IMSA. But it effectively shuts them out of Le Mans and other global WEC races unless they decide to sink the money into developing two cars. I don't know if GM is going to go for that. Especially in light of their announcement to go all electric by 2035. But giving up on Le Mans and WEC could be problematic for their efforts to market the C8 internationally.

Last edited by Jeff V.; 01-28-2021 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:51 PM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

Received 3,311 Likes on 1,522 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I'll believe it when I see it. 0-60 has nothing to do with lap times, and yet that's the top line statistic whenever anyone talks about this car. OMG sub-3 seconds!!! This car sells almost entirely in America, and America doesn't give a **** about lap times. It's either stop light drag racing (0-60) or straight lines on a runway or freeway. People aren't taking supercharged Z06s and ZR1s and adding more and more boost because they want better lap times. They want a big number on a dyno sheet and bragging rights on the road or runway.

GM won't sell a Z06 with a smaller number in the brochure than the previous car. They might do it if they come up with a new name though. I still consider that highly unlikely, but it's not impossible.
Should be called a grand sport in my opinion
Rob97rr (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 04:40 PM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

You won't. The simple minded need the numbers to be bigger than the last Z06. They're not gonna go backward, even if it might be a better all around car. It's gonna be turbocharged within an inch of its life.
You must not know the guy well at all. The only reason he screams that at the end of every post is because he thinks that gets people mad here. He thinks he’s trolling everyone. Understand? The guys a mental midget. Ask around.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:46 PM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Savoy2001
You must not know the guy well at all. The only reason he screams that at the end of every post is because he thinks that gets people mad here. He thinks he’s trolling everyone. Understand? The guys a mental midget. Ask around.
Mental midget for sure. The same posts over and over and over...
The following 3 users liked this post by ZRacerLE:
Rock0720 (01-28-2021), Savoy2001 (01-28-2021), vettesweetnos (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 04:47 PM
New car dude
Drifting

Received 514 Likes on 344 Posts

Its the same scenario as the ZL11LE. It wasnt meant for anyone but track enthusiast. The hybrid might post quicker 0 to 60 times. At this rate, i predict they will be sold at the same time. Im still laughing at the guys that bought the 1le for going to the dragstrip. The standard ZL1 is a better overall car in every manner speaking.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:57 PM
Rob97rr
Burning Brakes

Received 780 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRacerLE
Should be called a grand sport in my opinion

Would have made a helluva lot more sense.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rob97rr:
Savoy2001 (01-28-2021), ZRacerLE (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 05:33 PM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by New car dude
Its the same scenario as the ZL11LE. It wasnt meant for anyone but track enthusiast. The hybrid might post quicker 0 to 60 times. At this rate, i predict they will be sold at the same time. Im still laughing at the guys that bought the 1le for going to the dragstrip. The standard ZL1 is a better overall car in every manner speaking.
Agreed on all accounts. Somewhat related, I noticed the Mercedes AMG GTR Black also has the multimatic DSSVs. I'm guessing it also has a hard mounted suspension like the ZLE. That car just did a 6:40 at the ring with 720hp and about 3600lbs. The 1LE package for the ZL1 is $7500. If they do a similar suspension package for the C8Z, it will really turn some laps while also allowing for a comfortable version for those who don't road race.
ArmchairArchitect (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 06:47 PM
vettesweetnos
Drifting

Received 1,267 Likes on 578 Posts

C8Rs don't run the factory transaxle (they run a real race box), brakes, suspension, electronics, cooling and many other components. Typically the engine is quite different (C6R/C7Rs ran a 5.5L engine, so does the C8R). The C8R probably costs $800K more than a typical street C8 Z51. It is all marketing with a slight brush with truth that the race car and street car were developed together.

As with prior IMSA GTLM Corvettes, the engine output of the C7R was less than the street Z06. The C6R was 80 -130 HP down on my weekly street driven N/A HCI LS7 due to BoP rules. The 5.5L race engines are not highly stressed - for a race engine. IMSA wants to reduce the DNFs due to engine failure and their BoP rules make that a reality.
I am not saying they road going Z06 shares everything with the C8R race car. But they were designed together just like the C7 and C6 generations. Compare a C6 Z06 to C6R and C7 Z06 to C7R and they look similar and are about as close as road legally allowed.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:06 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,580 Likes on 2,642 Posts

This could be a problem though:

From: https://racer.com/2021/01/28/imsa-gt...-gtlm-in-2022/

So if Corvette 'downsizes' into GT3, that's good for IMSA. But it effectively shuts them out of Le Mans and other global WEC races unless they decide to sink the money into developing two cars. I don't know if GM is going to go for that. Especially in light of their announcement to go all electric by 2035. But giving up on Le Mans and WEC could be problematic for their efforts to market the C8 internationally.
Corvette didn't go to LeManss in 2020 and have said they won't be there this year either so they may have already left LeMans.
GT3 racing is big throughout Europe and the far east and ran in South Africa last year too. They sometimes get 50 car fields. It makes for good racing, which is covered here in the US by NBCSN, which unfortunately is going away at the end of this year.

LeMans sets their own rules and may choose to go environmental in it's GT racing so who knows what manufacturers will build GT cars for LeMans.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:08 PM
schlok
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sainthoo
Saw something posted on another forum:
teaser 1/28
reveal at Daytona, 2/1

Is this info out there?
Unlikely because they are officially unveiling the CT4 and CT5-V Blackwing cars on 2/1 at 7 PM EST. Ordering for 250/each special editions goes live at that point too (reservations).

Last edited by schlok; 01-28-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:24 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,319 Likes on 2,229 Posts

I really hope this is true!!!

Crossing fingers!!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2021, 01:26 AM
Rob97rr
Burning Brakes

Received 780 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
I really hope this is true!!!

Crossing fingers!!!!!!!

Interesting though, in the supposed "leaker's" original post, all he said is that we will have "more information" about the Z06 in July. And all the youtubers and websites are screaming, "THE Z06 WILL FINALLY BE REVEALED IN JULY!!"

Uhhh, that's not what he said.

So even if this random guy from a car dealership is to be believed, that could mean literally anything.

Maybe they'll "announce" if the powertrain will be NA vs TT, to put those of us that are sick of the endless debates out of our misery!
(Hey, a guy can dream right!)

Maybe it's nothing more than GM just finally officially acknowledging it's existence as an upcoming vehicle, but without a specific reveal date, or just stating that it will be a 20XX Model year vehicle.

Or maybe, they will just finally announce when the damn reveal date is ACTUALLY going to be, like they did with the C8 Stingray, well before it's July 2019 reveal. (Remember the photo's of Mary Barra rolling around New York in the camo'd prototype? I believe that was in April, so at least 3 months before the reveal.)

Who knows. I for one hope he is right that we will at least learn SOMETHING in July, and a full reveal would be outstanding! But I'm not necessarily getting my hopes up just yet... Not based on that anyway.

Last edited by Rob97rr; 01-29-2021 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:48 AM
traind
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 159 Posts

Regardless of exactly what the race car and street car have in common, we're going on the 2nd year of the race car having no road going homologation version. I can understand IMSA giving them a pass last year, but something has to give soon.
That could be accurate but you can also look at it another way.... IMSA is struggling for participation and the last thing they would do is to push a major manufacturer out due to a homologation delay or technicality. Without Corvette, GTLM would only have a total of 4 cars in the class this year. I think GM will get all the time they need to "meet the regulations".
Old 01-29-2021, 11:54 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,580 Likes on 2,642 Posts

Per my post above, this is the last year of GTLM anyway.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:18 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Per my post above, this is the last year of GTLM anyway.
True, but GTD has homologation rules too. IMSA will kiss GMs *** right up until the point other competitors start getting pissed. With GTD already being a well supported field, that could happen very quickly.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:56 PM
New car dude
Drifting

Received 514 Likes on 344 Posts

told you so.

Quick Reply: Z06 teaser and reveal?