Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Is the madness ending, or at least slowing down.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 06:51 PM
sumapathi
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Is the madness ending, or at least slowing down.....

Do you guys remember the time when cash was king, if you had the money or the credit, you could walk into a Chevrolet dealer and buy the car you want, z06, whatever..... then COVID happened and all of a sudden, cash is ****, that is the reason, I just stopped looking, now it looks like the trend is changing....

I feel like we were at 50k over sticker for a z06 brand new, now I hear a lot of 10k over sticker; I test drove a used z06 and the guy called me back..... 3 times today; feels familiar, like the old times..... boy does it feel good.

I think things are getting better, I know most of you on the forum are buyers/owners and don't like being treated like crap for the last 3 to 4 year.....

allocations, waiting lists, black market, premium, sounds like India when I was growing up.

Do you guys think the market will even out, what time frame do you think it will take to get to a balanced market; will we ever see 10k under sticker for a new z06(that is not canary yellow).

I would love to hear your thoughts.

The following 2 users liked this post by sumapathi:
joeking (03-06-2024), ZRacerLE (03-13-2024)

Popular Reply

03-15-2024, 08:39 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,168 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
No, you will never see 10K under sticker for a Z06
I'll take that bet. Right as the stu-pandemic started, I posted here a few times suggesting that what we saw back then would not be the "new norm" and that it was a temporary state of market insanity. A few believed me, but most here insisted that there was no way we'd ever see the previous days of deals on Z06s (and ZR1s that are about to release, right as the market is going to crash again... just watch). Clearly I didn't know what I was talking abou... errr... wait. Hm.

Maybe I did. The "gotta have-its" got their cars. Once the "gotta have-its" get their cars, the market starts to thin out real quick for a unit that costs what a new, fully-optioned Z06 does. The air up there gets real thin. And this is what we're seeing. I mentioned a couple of months ago that the truck market was finally falling apart, and that we should look to that market as the canary. Dodge heavy duty pickups, brand new, that sticker for north of $100K, are being offered for $20K off without any need for negotiation.

To misquote a funny looking little green guy, "Near, the end is."
Old 03-05-2024, 07:57 PM
Semifighter18
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 148 Posts

It's interesting how times change. At the peak of the madness when Z06s first came out and were going for $100k over, in the back of my mind I kept thinking that there was no way it would stay this way. Markets fluctuate back and forth and it's just a matter of timing and a bit of luck when you're in the market for a new car. I patiently waited and stuck to my guns when the dealer was at $15k over for a Stingray. I'm always very polite and respectful. "Thank you for your time, but I will only purchase at MSRP." "We can't do that." "Ok, no problem, I understand, have a nice day." Then suddenly a call comes back, "Great news, the manager has agreed to drop it to $5k over MSRP." "No thank you, appreciate your efforts though." Finally, the last call. "So if we give you the car at MSRP then you'll buy it?" "Yes, I told you that from the beginning." "Ok, you have a deal, MSRP, no dealer addons." That was 7 months ago. It feels like the market today is relatively balanced. As a constant watcher I see some dealers offering Stingrays below MSRP. No Z06s there yet, but I feel pretty strongly if you are patient and are willing to take a car in a showroom then you can get one at MSRP. I can't predict the future, but it doesn't seem like there's any impending crisis that will bring us back to the madness that was Covid. What will happen when the ZR1 comes out? Will Z06s suddenly start selling below MSRP? I doubt it, but they might. The Eray is an interesting car coming out at this time. Lurking all over the forums, both here and the Midenginecorvette forum it seems like folks are paying MSRP, or maybe slightly over for Erays. One final thought on the C8 Z06, and this is just me and my own worthless opinion, but it feels like this might be THE C8 to have when all is said and done, simply because of the bespoke normally aspirated motor. My track days are done so from a practical perspective I think the Eray would be a better car to own, but as a passionate sports car enthusiast I can't deny the pull of the Z06. I will have one or the other down the road, just not sure which yet. To close the loop on your main question, I think the market is very close to "evening out" as you put it right now. If I was in the market for a Z06 or Eray today, I wouldn't wait........that's just me........
The following 3 users liked this post by Semifighter18:
corvetteflier (03-08-2024), TxJester (03-15-2024), y2k2com (03-06-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 08:02 PM
Semifighter18
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 148 Posts

And I just want to say that after being away from the Corvette community for a few years I am thoroughly enjoying being back on the forums and engaging in these discussions! The only other Corvette I've owned was a C6 ZR1, so the top of the mountain for the C6s........now a C8. LOVED the ZR1, hard to beat, but man oh man the C8 is just such a fantastic car with literally no weaknesses that I've found yet.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:34 PM
sumapathi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Semifighter18
And I just want to say that after being away from the Corvette community for a few years I am thoroughly enjoying being back on the forums and engaging in these discussions! The only other Corvette I've owned was a C6 ZR1, so the top of the mountain for the C6s........now a C8. LOVED the ZR1, hard to beat, but man oh man the C8 is just such a fantastic car with literally no weaknesses that I've found yet.

Wonderful Information, Thank You.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:57 PM
cal4050
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've received emails from the dealers that I'm on their wait list with cars available for immediate delivery. People are running out of money, credit is not flowing like it used to be and the % on the loans has crept higher. I don't know how the above average guy/gal can afford the payments anymore.
It'll get worse before it's gets better. The dealerships are trying to pretend that inventory is impossible (which for the most part is true in the case of the Z06) but get on the wait list and you'll get an email blast, "available for immediate delivery" then jump on it.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:50 PM
sumapathi
Instructor

Originally Posted by cal4050
I've received emails from the dealers that I'm on their wait list with cars available for immediate delivery. People are running out of money, credit is not flowing like it used to be and the % on the loans has crept higher. I don't know how the above average guy/gal can afford the payments anymore.
It'll get worse before it's gets better. The dealerships are trying to pretend that inventory is impossible (which for the most part is true in the case of the Z06) but get on the wait list and you'll get an email blast, "available for immediate delivery" then jump on it.

Don't feel bad about the high interest rates, it is the only way to hammer down these prices so we can afford more in the long run...…. taking the value out of money with insanely low interest rates, eventually renders it useless....
Old 03-06-2024, 08:09 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 294 Likes on 198 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I believe the C8 market is getting a little soft. GM made so many of these cars and I do believe it will be more of a buyers market in the next few years. The C7 Z-06 that I thought would go down in price never did. The C8's seem to be plentiful right now and the prices are quite a bit less than sticker price. However with that being said a lot of buyers do not want to spend $60K for a base previously owned C8 and $70K or more for a 2LT. If you add performance exhaust or the Z51 package it adds up quickly. Most people would rather wait a questionable amount of years and buy a gently used C8 for $50K. There are always previously owned babied Corvettes that are 6 or 7 years old that basically have to be sold for somewhere near KBB value.
The following users liked this post:
huntfortravel (03-15-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 08:52 PM
sumapathi
Instructor

Good News Guys and Gals!

Looks like MSRP is not only possible but becoming the norm, take a look here, brand spanking new C8 z06....

Let the interest rate stay at 8.5 % prime rate for 2 more quarters; I bet you we can get new z06 at 10k under invoice.

Customer can become king again.....
Red86Cfour (03-15-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 08:55 PM
sumapathi
Instructor

Originally Posted by sumapathi

Good News Guys and Gals!

Looks like MSRP is not only possible but becoming the norm, take a look here, brand spanking new C8 z06....

Let the interest rate stay at 8.5 % prime rate for 2 more quarters; I bet you we can get new z06 at 10k under invoice.

Customer can become king again.....

It is nice to see dealers pissing their pants, I think they know blood is in the water....

The following 2 users liked this post by sumapathi:
huntfortravel (03-15-2024), Red86Cfour (03-15-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 09:06 PM
sumapathi
Instructor

This is how many z06's are available right now, new and used, any where from 115k to 240k; can any one guess what is going to happen to the ones listed at 240k
Old 03-06-2024, 09:10 PM
sumapathi
Instructor

Get used to seeing this Bro's.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:31 AM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

No or low option Z06's are murder to try and sell on the used market. They will no doubt sell but a moderate to medium optioned one will generally sell in a flash, other than ones in certain low volume colors. All cars are not created equal, with price not being the only factor.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:40 PM
j-budimlya
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It's finally time to start shopping for my next Vette......Now, what do I really want??? So many choices......
Old 03-11-2024, 06:11 PM
doughboy
Racer

The market has shifted considerably as of late. I had a dealer in San Diego call me yesterday offering any 2024 C8 they had in inventory (excluding Z06) for $1500 over invoice and a Z06 at $5K over MSRP. He said they have six in stock and that is too many for them. Given the what the market has been in Souther California, this a pretty major swing.
The following 2 users liked this post by doughboy:
j-budimlya (03-12-2024), Red86Cfour (03-15-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 07:21 PM
@123Cm987
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what would be considered low volume colors?
Old 03-14-2024, 01:44 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Originally Posted by tobaccokid
No or low option Z06's are murder to try and sell on the used market. They will no doubt sell but a moderate to medium optioned one will generally sell in a flash, other than ones in certain low volume colors. All cars are not created equal, with price not being the only factor.
What data do you have to support that?
Old 03-14-2024, 11:45 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,054 Likes on 826 Posts

It is nice to see dealers pissing their pants, I think they know blood is in the water....
Perhaps.

Recall market collapse circa 2008?
Local dealer 1st had an '07, $10K ADM.
2nd one a JSB 2LZ '08 w/ like ADM.
When taking my '06 Z51 MN6 in for oil change would drool over it, but no-go on ADM.

It's now March of '09, '08 sat for >1 yr w/ no apparent public interest.
GM had fallen on its *** as did other OEMs when economy tanked.
Bet dealer began wondering if they'd have to cut it up and eat it.

OK went to secure bride a new CTS AWD, while awaiting fiance she remarks sitting '08 Z06 is beautiful...would *I* like it?
Well, yea.
Asked dealer to give his best price on that Z06, considering we'd buy 2 cars.
Dealer knocked $12K off Z06 MSRP, gave $30K on my '06.
Drove '08 home, own it to this day.

Yes this gouging malarkey happened before, and yes pricing will come back to earth.

Last edited by Landru; 03-14-2024 at 01:24 PM.
Red86Cfour (03-15-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Is the madness ending, or at least slowing down.....

Old 03-14-2024, 12:08 PM
zich6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I was just told by a bonehead Tx. dealer that the management wanted $10K on top of the $10K ADM just for Z07. I wished them a very happy day and to call back when, not if, they were at MSRP.
sumapathi (03-24-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 12:44 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 890 Likes on 409 Posts

Do you guys remember the time when cash was king, if you had the money or the credit, you could walk into a Chevrolet dealer and buy the car you want, z06, whatever..... then COVID happened and all of a sudden, cash is ****, that is the reason, I just stopped looking, now it looks like the trend is changing....

I feel like we were at 50k over sticker for a z06 brand new, now I hear a lot of 10k over sticker; I test drove a used z06 and the guy called me back..... 3 times today; feels familiar, like the old times..... boy does it feel good.

I think things are getting better, I know most of you on the forum are buyers/owners and don't like being treated like crap for the last 3 to 4 year.....

allocations, waiting lists, black market, premium, sounds like India when I was growing up.

Do you guys think the market will even out, what time frame do you think it will take to get to a balanced market; will we ever see 10k under sticker for a new z06(that is not canary yellow).

I would love to hear your thoughts.
Law of gravity... whether real estate or cars. The market has dropped and with the ERay and soon the ZR1 life will continue to change. In the beginning supply - demand and the need to be first, drove the $100,000 over buyer. GM and the world knows, that could never last. As someone who received their Z06 in August of 2023 at MSRP, it was never a question.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:06 PM
chevyrules727
Burning Brakes

Received 777 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by RBK
Law of gravity... whether real estate or cars. The market has dropped and with the ERay and soon the ZR1 life will continue to change. In the beginning supply - demand and the need to be first, drove the $100,000 over buyer. GM and the world knows, that could never last. As someone who received their Z06 in August of 2023 at MSRP, it was never a question.
I am certainly still waiting on gravity to take effect on real estate.

Quick Reply: Is the madness ending, or at least slowing down.....