Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Possibly the LAST Petit Le Mans in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:36 PM
FFIN90
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================ From Toronto ================ 9/11/01 FDNY 343 R.I.P.
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'13-'14

Default Possibly the LAST Petit Le Mans in Atlanta

Excerpt from the full article below:

There will likely always be a 12-hour race at Sebring, so long as people race cars. Sebring seems safe.

Petit Le Mans though, is in a much different position.

With a much shorter history, encroached upon by suburbia, and now stripped of its North American roots or sidelined entirely, the status of Petit is shaky.

Without the prestige of the biggest international teams, can the race survive? Without television coverage, can the race make money for the teams? Will it cost more to race Petit than it pays off in sponsorship exposure? Will the fans still flock to Georgia every fall to see the race, if it is contested by two dozen underfunded teams?

At what point will Dr. Panoz have to say, “Sorry, the race costs too much more to run than it brings in; the real estate developers win.”?

I’d strongly suggest that everyone who has the slightest interest in auto racing consider a road trip next weekend.

The 14th—and possibly last—running of Petit Le Mans will start at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, October 1 at the Road Atlanta racetrack in Braselton, Ga.

Say it isn't so

I dont know how reliable this article or writer is but I'm sure glad I'm going to this one.

FULL ARTICLE HERE
Old 09-26-2011, 04:15 AM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

say it ain't so is right,,,,,I heard this a few months ago and blew it off,,,,maybe it is real,,,the houses have really poped up since we have been going,,,,
Old 09-26-2011, 09:03 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

In our ADHD society it's a wonder anything that lasts over 1.5 hours survives. Didn't hear of this one, sad to hear and hopefully this race will survive with the major teams in the field.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:11 AM
OhioDave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'17-'18-'19-'20-21

Originally Posted by FFIN90
Excerpt from the full article below:

There will likely always be a 12-hour race at Sebring, so long as people race cars. Sebring seems safe.

Petit Le Mans though, is in a much different position.

With a much shorter history, encroached upon by suburbia, and now stripped of its North American roots or sidelined entirely, the status of Petit is shaky.

Without the prestige of the biggest international teams, can the race survive? Without television coverage, can the race make money for the teams? Will it cost more to race Petit than it pays off in sponsorship exposure? Will the fans still flock to Georgia every fall to see the race, if it is contested by two dozen underfunded teams?

At what point will Dr. Panoz have to say, “Sorry, the race costs too much more to run than it brings in; the real estate developers win.”?

I’d strongly suggest that everyone who has the slightest interest in auto racing consider a road trip next weekend.

The 14th—and possibly last—running of Petit Le Mans will start at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, October 1 at the Road Atlanta racetrack in Braselton, Ga.

Say it isn't so

I dont know how reliable this article or writer is but I'm sure glad I'm going to this one.

FULL ARTICLE HERE
Wow,

That writer looked for every reason to have ALMS fail. That was quite a bashing he gave the Series.

Well, if it's true...... I'll be able to say I attended the "Last Petit".

Ray, we need to talk about Wednesday travel plans..
Old 09-26-2011, 02:38 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

crap ... I wish I could attend this race ... but the state of my knee, and my new store opening will not allow me to go

Well cheer on the Vettes for me boys, and have a fun safe trip!

I'm going to be optimistic here, and say that this will not be the last Petit Le Mans ... I'm sure after this season is complete ... the ALMS guys will sit down and look at some reorganization, and the revenue generated by the new media package, and say hmmmmm ... "lets try that again!"

Maybe a partnership with Grand-Am into a super-sport car series that would include ... 24 Hours of Daytona ... 12 Hours of Sebring ... Petit Le Mans ... and the 6 Hours of Mosport.

Mark

Last edited by CDN_Wolf_eh; 09-26-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Possibly the LAST Petit Le Mans in Atlanta

Quick Reply: Possibly the LAST Petit Le Mans in Atlanta