Canadian Events Canada, eh?

New ODBII Emissions Testing - What you need to know

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 09:03 PM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KLUTZ
The tests are getting ridiculous. My Son's 2000 Jetta Turbo failed his E-test this week. His check engine light was on, he re-set it before the test and it didn't come on for the two days prior. During the E-test it failed and the code showed "Low Voltage." He cleaned up the grounds under the battery tray, redid the test and it passed..
Pretty much what a lot of people are going through . Its great that your son was able to find a fairly easy fix and get his sticker .
Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 AM
WildWilly55
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 92 Posts

A good friend of mine has P car---Boxster--engine light was on--would not pass---after tearing the whole thing down--it turned out to be a drop of water in the coil pack!!!! After 4 months of working on it!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:14 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 207 Posts

So can you still get a conditional pass for cars that require more than $400 in repairs etc?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:17 AM
0Rob@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dankhts
So can you still get a conditional pass for cars that require more than $400 in repairs etc?
Yes, conditional pass still the same.
Rob.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:07 AM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rob@ChampionMotors
Yes, conditional pass still the same.
Rob.
Yes , but only 1 time . The next time you need the etest you will not get one . It must pass .

Hopefully by that time they will have done away with this nonsense.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:59 AM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck is a 2006 making it 7 years old, will I be having to go through this nonsense this fall?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 264 Posts

Hey Manny.......got the same info sent to me from from another source.....I printed it so when I see you in a couple of weeks I was going to bring it ( I still want a nice cam though Arun replied to me and wants to do his own custom grind..he agreed to meet us that Saturday as well. Let me know when you're back from vacation.

Agree, nothing but a cash grab.........amazing, which car emits more emissions into the air....the guy that drives his corrolla daily and puts on 30,000 kms a year or our toys that see 3000 kms a year?? Scam !! I hope this gets dropped like B.C. did !!!

Manny, you need to make friends with an e-test guy
Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by stpman
My truck is a 2006 making it 7 years old, will I be having to go through this nonsense this fall?
yup
Old 02-24-2013, 01:08 PM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by stpman
You should be receiving a notice in the mail if its due .
Old 02-24-2013, 01:19 PM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Hey Manny.......got the same info sent to me from from another source.....I printed it so when I see you in a couple of weeks I was going to bring it ( I still want a nice cam though Arun replied to me and wants to do his own custom grind..he agreed to meet us that Saturday as well. Let me know when you're back from vacation.

Agree, nothing but a cash grab.........amazing, which car emits more emissions into the air....the guy that drives his corrolla daily and puts on 30,000 kms a year or our toys that see 3000 kms a year?? Scam !! I hope this gets dropped like B.C. did !!!

Manny, you need to make friends with an e-test guy
The new test is certainly a pain for everyone , not just us that are into performance cars .

Looking forward to meeting with you and Arun to discuss your build .

We have been great success with Arun's grinds and so have a lot of people all the over the US and Canada .

We will meeting and exceed your expectations .

I will be back on March 10th and we can meet the following Saturday March 16th at the shop .

Just let me what time please .
Old 02-27-2013, 07:19 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 847 Likes on 723 Posts

I wanted to point out that some of the wording being passed on is quite alarmist.

If you've had your vehicle tuned by any tuner (on the dyno or just a a hand held programmer) chances are your rear o2 sensors have been disabled.
This means, you'll fail the new test because it requires that your rear o2 sensors are enabled (for readiness).
You can pass with one monitor showing not ready (or 2 from 1998 to 2000). So, your rear O2's being off would still pass as long as all the other monitors show as passed.

It basically boils down to how efficient your catalytic converters are.If you have high flow cats installed, you may have passed emissions tests with flying colours in the past, however you'll fail now (the new test is much more demanding of your catalytic converters).
I've been running high flow cats for at least 20k with the rear O2 sensors still enabled and the car hasn't thrown any codes and it passes the catalyst readiness test. So, stating the car will fail with high flow cats is not a fact. I actually think the new test is easier to pass in this sense. Pass the other monitors and you can pass an emissions test without cats.

How do I know if I'll pass the new emissions test?
The right answer is you connect a scanner on your car and check it. If you have no CEL and all but 1 monitor show as passed then you're laughing. And the bonus is that you know 100% that you will pass. You can't say that about the sniffer test.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 PM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I wanted to point out that some of the wording being passed on is quite alarmist.

You can pass with one monitor showing not ready (or 2 from 1998 to 2000). So, your rear O2's being off would still pass as long as all the other monitors show as passed.

I've been running high flow cats for at least 20k with the rear O2 sensors still enabled and the car hasn't thrown any codes and it passes the catalyst readiness test. So, stating the car will fail with high flow cats is not a fact. I actually think the new test is easier to pass in this sense. Pass the other monitors and you can pass an emissions test without cats.

The right answer is you connect a scanner on your car and check it. If you have no CEL and all but 1 monitor show as passed then you're laughing. And the bonus is that you know 100% that you will pass. You can't say that about the sniffer test.
And you have performed how many etests ?

And you are a licensed emissions Technician where ?

And you are a licensed mechanic where ?

I was just at my friend's Active Green & Ross shop a couple of hours ago , that has been performing the new tests since day 1 , and the fail rate's are through the roof . As a matter of fact his exact statement was that they have had more fails in 2 months than all of last year , and they do a ton of etests .

So as much as you think your statement is all correct it is not , and people are failing even with using hand held scanners prior .

Again , my state was made to alert people that have had performance type of work done to get it checked out before having the test done and save themselves a headache
Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

The new e-test checks for 2 things. No CEL and the OBDII monitors showing as passed. No CEL and all but 1 OBDII monitor showing as passed is a e-test pass. It's that simple. Check the car with a scanner and it will pass the e-test if you if meets these requirements.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 PM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

The new e-test checks for 2 things. No CEL and the OBDII monitors showing as passed. No CEL and all but 1 OBDII monitor showing as passed is a e-test pass. It's that simple. Check the car with a scanner and it will pass the e-test if you if meets these requirements.
Got any proof , can provide any links that can you prove what you are saying ,

Have you yourself done this on any cars ?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Try going directly to the source. It's explained there.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...lean/index.htm

There is actually a 3rd requirement. No stored codes. Just as easy to check for as the other 2.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 02-27-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 PM
faster68
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 105 Posts

Wow, utterly amazing that we have come to this now. Check out the MOE's suggestions on how to pass the test.

Let the engine idle in DRIVE? What if the car is a manual trans? 10min high way speeds, 20 mins stop and go... how does one plan such a thing, what if its 40 mins to the highway?

These people need to be put in check. Ridiculous doesn't begin to cover the issue.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 PM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by faster68
Wow, utterly amazing that we have come to this now. Check out the MOE's suggestions on how to pass the test.

Let the engine idle in DRIVE? What if the car is a manual trans? 10min high way speeds, 20 mins stop and go... how does one plan such a thing, what if its 40 mins to the highway?

These people need to be put in check. Ridiculous doesn't begin to cover the issue.
I will tell you that the service shops are loving this new system , the money its generating in repairs is insane .

Now their contracts are all for 65 months , that tells me that this will not last . B.C scrapped it all together and many other places followed suit .

It just another Ontario another cash grab

Last edited by Dasilvamotorsports; 02-27-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New ODBII Emissions Testing - What you need to know

Old 02-27-2013, 08:10 PM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Try going directly to the source. It's explained there.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...lean/index.htm

There is actually a 3rd requirement. No stored codes. Just as easy to check for as the other 2.
Again , you have avoided the question , what are your qualification and how many tests have you done ?

We can read and surmise all that you want , but the fact is that those performing the tests in the field have very different results to report .

My reports are first hand and from the field
Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by faster68

LOL, yes trying to get some of the monitors to pass is the tough part. The idea behind those suggestions is to put the vehicle into the conditions where it'll perform each readiness test. Unfortunately, it's not always that easy and some cars just don't want to pass these self monitors without a bunch of driving.

Be hopeful there will be enough issues it will get dropped completely.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 PM
faster68
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Dasilvamotorsports
I will tell you that the service shops are loving this new system , the money its generating in repairs is insane .

Now their contracts are all for 65 months , that tells me that this will not last . B.C scrapped it all together and many other places followed suit .

It only another cash grab
But you are assuming the cash grabs are by the service centers, correct? I think the cash grab is by the Ont. Gov't. Do you know much they sell the machines for and how much 'training' a tech to use the machine costs? The Ont Gov't is making money off of this better than any service center. And the service center has the headaches. My local dealer has has sooooo many headaches. People wait until their birthday, go in for a test and sometimes the message is driver the car for a week and then come back. Angry customers are not a good thing.

Quick Reply: New ODBII Emissions Testing - What you need to know