2nd Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 11:52 AM
Highway Dancer
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 2nd Corvette?

Hi,

I have a 2006 Corvette C6 (Base) coupe, I've owned it since 2009, when I bought it from its original owner in NYC. It had 8,000 original miles at the time. Over the years it now has 42k. I try to drive it as often as I can, but by no means is it a daily...I cannot get around leaving it at a GO Station, it's mostly errands or spirited drives. As a result I put less than 5k on it per year, perhaps even less than 2.5k. I've done some mods (intake, exhaust, black out side markers, new BBS wheels and Pilot Sport Tires), haven't gotten around to coilovers and headers.

I've been thinking for a while about buying a C7 Grand Sport (Heritage Package). But in my thinking I couldn't see myself selling or trading in my C6...I feel emotionally attached to it (2 unemployment spells, marriage and 2 kids), I feel like I'd be abandoning it. I also feel like Corvettes are to be "collected" not sold/traded in.

Recently I began discussing with my wife buying the GS, namely timelines (i.e. within 2 years). I did not exactly receive a warm reception: (1) you barely drive existing one; (2) why wouldn't you trade/sell the existing one; (3) why wouldn't you get a 4 seat sports car so that the kids and I can go with you if we are going somewhere nice.

Nothing I can really say about (1). I try to drive it, but I do not drive it as much as I'd like. (2) she'll never understand, I just feel so connected after all the events in my life to my Corvette I couldn't bare to see it leave. (3) We're not talking Corvette anymore...she threw out 911 or Aston Martin. Both are 2x the initial cost and 3x the maintenance. I have thought about a 911 GT3 as well, as something different (again in addition to the Corvette), they're available as 4 seaters and you can buy them with or without the aero package now (i.e. no big spoiler).

Just wondering if there's any other multiple Corvette owners out there that have faced similar discussion and how you dealt with it?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2017, 12:48 PM
FivePointFarms
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope you can afford your wife.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:57 PM
NoShade
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's always the Cadillac CTS-V. I sold my '09 Corvette convertible for a '11 CTS-V coupe. It is NOT a Corvette as I'm sure someone will point out but there is a LOT of common DNA between the two cars. I find it a good substitute. Back Seats, a bigger trunk than my convertible, LS Motor and very similar exhaust note.

Best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned

Last edited by NoShade; 11-27-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:15 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Does/would SHE drive one of them?? 2 x 2-seaters = 4 people get to ride in Corvettes wherever you're going!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:32 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Get rid of the 06 & trade it in on a C7 - I think you'll find you're glad you did.
I've done the same several times - gotten rid of some fine rides I was comfortable owning.
I think you know it is time to move on to something new...
So what have you got to loose - & you might even gain some regrets.
Hahaha

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd Corvette?

Quick Reply: 2nd Corvette?