Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Petroleum distillates in Z5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 11:51 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Q: Are you saying that type-B PDs are bad for the paint? ZaneO
A: Yes,
The Bad: Dimethyl is derived from Aromatic hydrocarbon (petroleum) distillates, which are environmentally unsound and give a slick, oily finish, which attracts dust and dirt and amplifies sunlight causing vinyl and most plastics to dry out and crack. It also causes rubber compounds along with sun iteration to remove the micro-wax in tyres as well as its carbon black (it's what gives tyres their colour) they are often mislabeled as modem /synthetic polymers by manufactures.
The Good: Polydimethylsiloxane (PDS) is a basically inert, water based, amino functional polymer that doesn't migrate (dry out) the plasticizers from materials, has less UV radiation absorption and dust attraction properties. Chemists use water-in-oil emulsions, to reduce emulsion particle size, to stabilize emulsions, and to improve spreading and coverage of wax products. Most modern silicone formulas are water soluble (no petroleum), and are completely inert. The best way to describe most forms of silicone is to think of it as a man-made wax ester. Silicone is created by the reaction generated when you combine fatty acids with Polydimethylsiloxane
The Ugly: Silicone is an active ingredient in sun UV amplification. As a low quality silicone dressing evaporates away, the silicone oil is left behind, the sun then amplifies these residues, and the drying process is accelerated. This causes rubber, EDPM, vinyl and plastics to dry out, which turns them grey or brown, losing their flexibility and prematurely fail. Water-based dressings do not contain oils or petroleum distillates and provide a non- greasy, natural looking satin finish.
For a Few Dollars More: Hydrocarbon (petroleum) distillates can be further purified, re-distilled, reacted and combined with various other chemicals to produce a wide range of environmentally safe and useful silicone products.

Q: Please also feel free to post your PD findings (in a new thread).
A: See thread ‘Petroleum Distillates

TOGWT, I have read a lot of your post and find some of it is great, and some is not.
Q: What is your source?
A1: Information source: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency website, EPA/Purdue University Study 2001, American Association of Industrial Hygiene (AAIH), American Petroleum Institute (API) publications.
Q: Are you a chemist?
A2: No I’m an Architectural Engineer (with 10+ years of petroleum refining experience)
Q: Please post your source so we can make a better judgment of the validity of your info or point us to a link.
A3: See A1:
Old 01-31-2005, 12:32 PM
CLpower
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The whole PD thing is way overrated IMO. Chapstick has PD in it, your cars paint has PD in it

so basically you are saying you don't want to put PD products on your PD product, doesn't really make sense.

Do you HONESTLY think these companies would be making products that are BAD for your paint? I mean come on.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:24 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Q: The whole PD thing is way overrated IMO. Chapstick has PD in it, your cars paint has PD in it
so basically you are saying you don't want to put PD products on your PD product, doesn't really make sense.
A: No what I am saying is that PD go through various levels of purification, most care acre and beaty products are derived from Naphthenic hydrocarbons, which after further distillation aliphatic produce Naphthenic hydrocarbon’s, these are used to produce light oils and as a base for light solvents adhesives and paint additives. Further purification produces Cyclo Paraffin and it is used in many pharmaceutical and skin beauty products. Cyclo Paraffin compounds are also used in car care waxes and polishes, used as a carrier system as they easily dissolve wax and provide spread ability and a lubricant for waxes, machine polishes and glazes.

Q: Do you HONESTLY think these companies would be making products that are BAD for your paint? I mean come on.
A: Of course not companies would not sell something to a consumer that would harm their paint surface just to make a profit…

JonM
Old 01-31-2005, 02:35 PM
CLpower
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once again, you show you are to smart for your own good
Old 02-01-2005, 07:54 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Quote:once again, you show you are to smart for your own good EOQ CLpower

If you have some relevant information on petroleum distillates you like to share with this community or have a valid argument about what I’ve posted I’m always anxious to improve my knowledge. No matter what my opinion, there is always an opposing and often equally valid response.

JonM

Quick Reply: Petroleum distillates in Z5?