Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Leather Conditioners: Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 09:01 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Leather Conditioners: Any Suggestions?

I want to keep the leather in the Corvette soft and supple to help prevent cracking and tears. Our new Grand Cherokee has leather, and I have been using "The Tannery" products with moderate success.

Do you have any suggestions (pro or con) based on your experience with leater conditioners?

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-06-2001, 10:33 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Leather Conditioners: Any Suggestions? (SharkAttack)

Zaino Z-9 Leather cleaner and Z-10 Leather conditioner, picked the favorite product to use on Corvettes in the May 1999 issue of Corvette Fever, and best yet you can get it from the Zaino distributor in Houston.
Old 08-07-2001, 02:15 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Default Re: Leather Conditioners: Any Suggestions? (SharkAttack)

Depending on your budget, you have several quality choices. On the lower end as far as cost, there is Eagle One Leather Conditioner. Even though people usually think that you must spend a great deal of money in order to purchasea quality product, I think that you would be pleasantly surprised with the Eagle One.

On the higher end as far as cost, is the Connolly Hide Food. I have not purchased this product (even though highly recommended) as it contains no UV protection that I am aware of. Having a convertible, this is something that I kind of look for.

Then there is the Pinnacle line of products which perform very well. And many people use the Lexol line of products as well, and really like them.

This will probably be somewhat of a trial and error process for you, until you decide on a product(s) that suit your needs/budget/available time for the car, etc. Good Luck. :seeya
Old 08-09-2001, 11:21 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Leather Conditioners: Any Suggestions? (rubyred93)

Thanks Guys! :cheers: :chevy
Old 08-10-2001, 12:11 PM
SharkB4C4
Safety Car

RubyRed93, is Hide Food sold here in the U.S.? Where? I got some from England a couple of years ago. I was told that it's the best, and that Rolls Royce uses it on their leather seats.

It's great stuff--makes the leather feel silky and supple. And it doesn't smell like new leather shoes, unlike the cheap conditioners from the auto parts stores.

On the down side, it's expensive and bit of a pain to apply (need to let it soak overnight). It also contains a lot of paraffin-type wax to give it that silky-smooth feel, and I don't know whether that's good or bad for the leather in the long term. I would think that it's bad, since the wax will clog up the pores in the leather and keep it from breathing. It might be good for the high-wear areas like the side bolsters on the driver's side, since the wax seems to reduce friction.

[Modified by SharkInShark, 10:12 AM 8/10/2001]
Old 08-10-2001, 04:11 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Default Re: Leather Conditioners: Any Suggestions? (SharkInShark)

SharkInShark -

Yes, Connolly Hide Food can be easily purchased here in the U.S. It can be purchased through the company: Classic Motoring Accessories. They are an excellent automotive detailing supply company and carry many fine products. They are located in Tampa, Florida. Their phone number is: 1-800- 628 - 7596. Web site is: http://www.properautocare.com

The product description for the Connolly Hide Food reads as follows: "From Connolly Brothers of England, the leather supplier to Rolls Royce, Jaguar, and Aston Martin. Connolly Hide Food is a creamy lanolin conditioner factory recommended for maintaining the leather in these and other fine automobiles."

The product can be found on page 12 of their current catalog. Item number: HF -01. Price is $12.95 for 11 oz.

Hope this is helpful to you.
Old 08-11-2001, 12:44 AM
SharkB4C4
Safety Car

Thank you, RubyRed93!!!

Now that I know that I can easily get more of this wonderful stuff (and at $12.95, a great price!), I won't be afraid to use up what I have left.

And thanks also for the intro to Classic Motoring Accessories--its web site has a lot of interesting things.

Old 08-11-2001, 10:22 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Default Re: Leather Conditioners: Any Suggestions? (SharkInShark)

SharkInShark -

You are very welcome; I'm glad that I could be of assistance to you. Classic Motoring Accessories is a great company to deal with as well. Enjoy. :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Leather Conditioners: Any Suggestions?

Quick Reply: Leather Conditioners: Any Suggestions?