Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

First time w/clay....dawn or no dawn?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Comin' Thunder
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time w/clay....dawn or no dawn?

Hey guys, I did a search and found some great info on clay barring my car. I recently bought an '03 black Z06 and I am about to use the clay bar for the first time. I just want to see if I've got it right. My paint is nice and glossy, and feels "soft" from waxing. I want to clay it to start detailing with a clean slate. First....should I wash the car with Dawn dish liquid or not, #2 use clay bar with lubricant, and dry, #3 wash with my regular car wash (I use Meguires Gold Class), then lastly wax as normal (Meguires Gold Class Wax). Is this correct? Is there any particular advice....do's and don't's that I should be aware of, or do I have it down. I'm not sure about the dawn. One of my best friends uses the dawn, and he's a true perfectionist with detailing. I trust him but I am a little nervous about the dawn. Please tell me your experiences, and recommendations. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:35 PM
FrogmanDave
Racer

Use the dawn. It will break down all of the old wax before claying it. I actually use dawn and water in a spray bottle for my clay bar lube. You have the rest of the process down. Make sure if you drop the clay bar (and you probably will) throw it away, especially on a black car. You will pick up grit that will swirl your paint. It is best to make your final passes up and down on the doors and fenders and front to back on the hood, top and trunk. This is true of the polish and wax also. You didn't mention any polish. You should use a polish before you wax the car. It really helps the process. I'm not sure if they're a supporting vendor and I don't want to get into trouble, but Adam's has some very good videos dealing with car detailing. I personally use Zaino products. You won't believe how good your car looks after claying, polishing and waxing. Good luck and welcome to the Z06 world. These cars rock

Dave
Old 05-25-2006, 10:53 PM
gordy02corvette
Advanced

Use the dawn but don't get it on the black rubber or plastic. It is harmful to them. I know this from personal experience.
I have used Groit's & Mothers claybars & Mother's gave the best results.
I had the car at the dealers for work & it got paint overspray on it & the Mother's claybar did the best and removed all the paint overspray from the car.
Dawn will break down any oil or grime on the car & make it easy for the claybar to do it's job.
When you are done rinse the car well to remove all the soap & use a cleaner wax & then what ever you choose.
Good luck!
Old 05-25-2006, 11:44 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

your process sounds good.
as stated above, it's also a good idea to polish your paint after you've clayed, and before you apply your wax. This will make the surface even smoother, remove any light swirls you have, and give you a super shiny glossy paint surface before you even apply the wax.

What works for me to polish:
if actual scratches that need removal: Makita 9227 + Menzerna Intensive Polish, 1500 RPMs

if just the lightest of swirls: PC 7424 + white pad + Menzern final polish II.

you CAN do this step by hand also - you just won't be able to remove any significant scratches that way. you might try the MIP for this, or alternatively 3M product #39002, which actually works quite well by hand.

Get notified of new replies

To First time w/clay....dawn or no dawn?

Quick Reply: First time w/clay....dawn or no dawn?