Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black Magic the same as Zaino?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 11:29 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redjetty
its true,, i read the same Consumers Report last year about Black Magic being rated americas top brand,, you cant argue with that,, its a fact!
If you really did read the article in Consumer reports you would have noticed they never tested Zaino, Rejex, Pinnacle, Wolfgangs, Adams, etc etc. I think they tested only what they can pluck off store shelves.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Gipper
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

OK, so here you go... I used Black Magic Wet Shine on my used E320 that I just purchased. Keep in mind that I bought this 2002 E320 for $13K, which is less than trade in value! It's mechanically perfect with only 78K miles so something had to be wrong with it for that price, right? Oh yeah, it was the paint! This thing looked like it had been raced on gravel roads and was always in last place!
but for the price, I was willing to overlook the wretched paint. So here are pics from this morning after 3 coats of Black Magic.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:11 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gipper
I dunno about that...

here's what BM claims, which sounds very familiar. >

Minimizes minor swirl marks, surface blemishes and imperfections
Provides UV protection
Clearcoat safe
Optical brighteners added for optimum paint brilliance
Easy application
Cherry scented

One easy-on/easy-off application of Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax maximizes the shine and brilliance of your vehicle's exterior. The rich, conditioning cream minimizes minor swirl marks, surface blemishes and scratches while providing UV protection for all vehicle finishes, including clearcoats. This unique shine-maximizing formula is also enriched with optical brighteners to maximize paint brilliance and reflection. Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax is carefully blended to provide the ultimate long-lasting, wet-look shine, while providing the durable protections your vehicle's exterior finish needs.
I read this thread last night and thought it was funny. But I have to admit, curiosity got the best of me. While at Wal-Mart this morning I picked up a bottle of Black Magic Wet shine liquid wax.

I compared it to my Z2 that I have. To me as well as 3 other people in the house that I had smell it, we all agreed that they didn't smell the same. Maybe our noses are just different.

So to be fair, I decided to apply it and compare it to Z2.

I thought I would try it on the windows of my new truck.

I used some Stoners to remove the Z-AIO that I had applied to the glass last week. Just to make sure the glass was clean, I also used a claybar on it.

Satisfied that the glass was now ready for the application, I got started.

I used a new cotton Zaino applicator. I used one side of the applicator for the Z2 and flipped it over for the BM. I did NOT use any ZFX or Z6 as I wanted to make sure my test was objective.

I applied the same amount of Z2 as I did the BM. I waited about 20 minutes and slid my finger across the Z2 to test it. It came off the glass without any problems. I tried the BM and it smeared.

I removed the Z2 with a MF towel from autogeeks (cobra towel) and it came off easily and didn't leave any residue.

At 30 minutes the BM window would still smear with my finger so I waited. After 40 minutes I used another MF towel (cobra towel) to remove the BM. It smeared when removing it and left a greasy film on the window. I waited another 20 minutes after removing the BM and used a third cobra towel and went over the BM window and can still see what looks like a greasy coating.

Both were very easy to apply.

I find it odd that BM doesn't mention anywhere (their bottle or website) that this is a polymer product. They state that it's a wax.

They also state that it will minimize swirls, blemishes and scratches. Z2 does none of these things. They go on to say that it should be used on a cool surface out of the sunlight. Z2 can be applied on a hot surface and in direct sunlight. BM says that it should not be used on trim or rubber surfaces, Z2 can be.

For those of you wondering, save yourself the $5.62, it's not the same stuff.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Mouse2112
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrosa65
I read this thread last night and thought it was funny. But I have to admit, curiosity got the best of me. While at Wal-Mart this morning I picked up a bottle of Black Magic Wet shine liquid wax.

I compared it to my Z2 that I have. To me as well as 3 other people in the house that I had smell it, we all agreed that they didn't smell the same. Maybe our noses are just different.

So to be fair, I decided to apply it and compare it to Z2.

I thought I would try it on the windows of my new truck.

I used some Stoners to remove the Z-AIO that I had applied to the glass last week. Just to make sure the glass was clean, I also used a claybar on it.

Satisfied that the glass was now ready for the application, I got started.

I used a new cotton Zaino applicator. I used one side of the applicator for the Z2 and flipped it over for the BM. I did NOT use any ZFX or Z6 as I wanted to make sure my test was objective.

I applied the same amount of Z2 as I did the BM. I waited about 20 minutes and slid my finger across the Z2 to test it. It came off the glass without any problems. I tried the BM and it smeared.

I removed the Z2 with a MF towel from autogeeks (cobra towel) and it came off easily and didn't leave any residue.

At 30 minutes the BM window would still smear with my finger so I waited. After 40 minutes I used another MF towel (cobra towel) to remove the BM. It smeared when removing it and left a greasy film on the window. I waited another 20 minutes after removing the BM and used a third cobra towel and went over the BM window and can still see what looks like a greasy coating.

Both were very easy to apply.

I find it odd that BM doesn't mention anywhere (their bottle or website) that this is a polymer product. They state that it's a wax.

They also state that it will minimize swirls, blemishes and scratches. Z2 does none of these things. They go on to say that it should be used on a cool surface out of the sunlight. Z2 can be applied on a hot surface and in direct sunlight. BM says that it should not be used on trim or rubber surfaces, Z2 can be.

For those of you wondering, save yourself the $5.62, it's not the same stuff.
Hmmmm.....I was going to go out and try it myself but after this write-up, I think I'll save my $5.62.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:26 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormfront
Hmmmm.....I was going to go out and try it myself but after this write-up, I think I'll save my $5.62.

Thanks for checking this out for us Mrosa65.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:40 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gmblack3

Thanks for checking this out for us Mrosa65.
Anytime. I'm going to put some of the BM on the Gf's truck just to see how it holds up on her daily driver. BM offers a money back offer and Wally world will pretty much return anything so I can always get my money back. Heck, even if I didn't, it's only 5 bucks. I spend more than that on a couple of good MF towels.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Gipper
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by mrosa65
Anytime. I'm going to put some of the BM on the Gf's truck just to see how it holds up on her daily driver. BM offers a money back offer and Wally world will pretty much return anything so I can always get my money back. Heck, even if I didn't, it's only 5 bucks. I spend more than that on a couple of good MF towels.
hell, you probably spent more than that on the gas to get up there!

You're right, it doesn't mention that it's a polymer, guess I confused that with the Mothers and NXT polymer at Wallyworld. BTW, Anyone tried the Mothers polymer?

I also noticed that the BM was a bit difficult to remove but I tried some Z2 on the same car and had the same problem so I had to attribute that to the poor paint quality and cold weather. I'll do some more testing on my other cars to see if there really is a difference in removal. Wish I had time now but I have to make tracks to Easter dinner!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:11 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

hell, you probably spent more than that on the gas to get up there!

You're right, it doesn't mention that it's a polymer, guess I confused that with the Mothers and NXT polymer at Wallyworld. BTW, Anyone tried the Mothers polymer?

I also noticed that the BM was a bit difficult to remove but I tried some Z2 on the same car and had the same problem so I had to attribute that to the poor paint quality and cold weather. I'll do some more testing on my other cars to see if there really is a difference in removal. Wish I had time now but I have to make tracks to Easter dinner!
I actually am getting better gas mileage with the new Expedition than I did with my 4 year old F-150. The Expedition has the 5.4L Triton where the F-150 had the smaller V8 in it.

I went out and applied some of the BM to the hood of the GF's daily driver (96 Rodeo) which has serious clearcoat failure on the hood. I'm waiting for it to fully dry before I remove it but my cotton applicator is covered in red paint from the spots without the CC. I'm going to have to guess that the BM is either solvent heavy or has a good amount of abrasives in it. It may be heavy on the oil side as it did seem to fill minor surface defects.

Since she runs the truck through automatic carwashes I'll have to see how the durability holds up.

As for the Mothers Syn wax - While I haven't applied it personally, my neighbors son uses it and it seems to go on easy, looks good and has pretty good durability (4-6 weeks). Not bad for an OTC product.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:05 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True, kinda like dog food, gasoline, etc. Everyone claims theirs is the best but most come from the same place.
I would agree with the statement "...but most come from the same place. That place is (CC), just re-packaged by the re-seller

Zanio has the most durable polymer and innovative produt line, with distributors wordwide, I don't see what is to be gained by underselling it albeit under another name at a store like Walmart)

"What sets the price of a Rolls Royce"? What the market will stand.

Right know the polymer market will 'stand' the price set by the No1 polymer sold by Zaino.

PS: Thanks for the write up. I just wonder how much the 'shine' owes to silicone, and at $5.62 (2 odd quid) you know it not one of the safe expensive but ones.

Last edited by TOGWT; 04-09-2007 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am surprised Sal has not jumped in here, but trust me, Zaino is NOT being resold under another name. I have had several conversations with Sal over the years I have been a distributor and based on what I have been told this just isn't going to happen.
BM is a completely different product, possibly made to look and smell the same.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:58 PM
KLO
Safety Car

You can also check the MSDS online for the black magic product and see that is has NOTHING in common with Zaino products.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:04 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt
I am surprised Sal has not jumped in here,
Sal doesn't want to go that low
Old 05-12-2007, 09:36 PM
eurostyle
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ShockwaveTXB
No offense, but after you wrote "I was at Walmart today..." that should have been the clue it's not even close to the quality of Zaino.
SOOOOOOOOO, what if one day you can buy Zaino at Walmart? Will it degrade the product?
Old 05-12-2007, 09:41 PM
eurostyle
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jabez
They are the only detailing product I have ever pour out on the curb.
Shame on you for trashing the enviroment.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:50 PM
eurostyle
Burning Brakes

True, kinda like dog food, gasoline, etc. Everyone claims theirs is the best but most come from the same place.
The day the Zaino followers realize they are buying an overpriced, overhyped, overinflated, overrated and other overetc's., will be the day they are going to have some money left in their pockets.

ps: any 5 bucks product will do it.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Originally Posted by eurostyle
ps: any 5 bucks product will do it.
That's like saying any $15,000 car will do the same as your 07 Vette!
Old 05-12-2007, 11:11 PM
eurostyle
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crusher
That's like saying any $15,000 car will do the same as your 07 Vette!
Yep, you nailed it, any car will bring you from point A to point B, no matter what the price.

Get notified of new replies

To Black Magic the same as Zaino?

Old 05-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Comfortably Numb
Safety Car

It's your car and if you like Black Magic then go for it.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Comfortably Numb
Safety Car

Default Yes It Will Degrade It

Originally Posted by eurostyle
SOOOOOOOOO, what if one day you can buy Zaino at Walmart? Will it degrade the product?
If Zaino was sold at Walmart then I'd find some other upscale polish to use. For Sal to sell to Walmart is a sell-out. Walmart is no-good. Here is a article about a company that said no to Walmart. I'm sure Sal would do the same thing http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...n_snapper.html
Old 05-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Comfortably Numb
Safety Car

Default BM = B Movement

I was at Walmart today picking up some car care items and decided to take a look at the current line up of waxes. Polymers seem to be the latest buzzword so I open up this stuff called Black Magic Wet Shine and it looks and smells exactly like Zaino! For $5 for a 16oz bottle, I figure why not! Just finished putting a coat on the car and I swear this is Zaino Z2 in a different package!?!?
Just realized how they came up with the abbreviation for this stuff ... sorry had to offer this up

Quick Reply: Black Magic the same as Zaino?