Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black Magic the same as Zaino?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Gipper
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Black Magic the same as Zaino?

I was at Walmart today picking up some car care items and decided to take a look at the current line up of waxes. Polymers seem to be the latest buzzword so I open up this stuff called Black Magic Wet Shine and it looks and smells exactly like Zaino! For $5 for a 16oz bottle, I figure why not! Just finished putting a coat on the car and I swear this is Zaino Z2 in a different package!?!?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:57 PM
lexaudio
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gipper
I was at Walmart today picking up some car care items and decided to take a look at the current line up of waxes. Polymers seem to be the latest buzzword so I open up this stuff called Black Magic Wet Shine and it looks and smells exactly like Zaino! For $5 for a 16oz bottle, I figure why not! Just finished putting a coat on the car and I swear this is Zaino Z2 in a different package!?!?
Not even close. There is only 1 Zaino, and I doubt that Sal passes it off like that.

Ever use BM. It is crap.

LEX
Old 04-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Gipper
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by lexaudio
Not even close. There is only 1 Zaino, and I doubt that Sal passes it off like that.

Ever use BM. It is crap.

LEX

Yes, I bought it and used it today and I swear it's either the same stuff or one hell of a knock-off!
Old 04-07-2007, 10:20 PM
lexaudio
Melting Slicks

Yes, I bought it and used it today and I swear it's either the same stuff or one hell of a knock-off!
Smell it maybe the same, but what it does is totally different.

LEX
Old 04-07-2007, 10:21 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us know if the black magic lasts 6 months.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Gipper
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by gmblack3
Let us know if the black magic lasts 6 months.
Interesting point. Since I have some Z2 left, I'll find a painted surface outside and I'll coat one side with with Zaino and the other with BM. Should be interesting to see if one lasts longer than the other, etc.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:25 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

VERY INTERESTING !

A few months back I was reading my Consumer Reports (Jun '06), and low and behold there was a comparison of car waxes. To make a long story incredibly short, Black Magic came out on top by a good margin in gloss, cleaning, durability and lack of hazing.

You draw your own decisions.

Last edited by ALLEGRO; 04-08-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Gipper
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '12

but what it does is totally different.

LEX
I dunno about that...

here's what BM claims, which sounds very familiar. >

Minimizes minor swirl marks, surface blemishes and imperfections
Provides UV protection
Clearcoat safe
Optical brighteners added for optimum paint brilliance
Easy application
Cherry scented

One easy-on/easy-off application of Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax maximizes the shine and brilliance of your vehicle's exterior. The rich, conditioning cream minimizes minor swirl marks, surface blemishes and scratches while providing UV protection for all vehicle finishes, including clearcoats. This unique shine-maximizing formula is also enriched with optical brighteners to maximize paint brilliance and reflection. Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax is carefully blended to provide the ultimate long-lasting, wet-look shine, while providing the durable protections your vehicle's exterior finish needs.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:45 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

No offense, but after you wrote "I was at Walmart today..." that should have been the clue it's not even close to the quality of Zaino.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Gipper
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ShockwaveTXB
No offense, but after you wrote "I was at Walmart today..." that should have been the clue it's not even close to the quality of Zaino.
uh, OK, whatever. FTR, Black Magic is made by Pennzoil-Quaker State, or maybe they just bought the rights to re-market from Sal? I'm not a fan of Walmart either and rarely go there but that has nothing to do with the product comparison being made here.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:30 AM
lexaudio
Melting Slicks

I dunno about that...

here's what BM claims, which sounds very familiar. >

Minimizes minor swirl marks, surface blemishes and imperfections
Provides UV protection
Clearcoat safe
Optical brighteners added for optimum paint brilliance
Easy application
Cherry scented

One easy-on/easy-off application of Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax maximizes the shine and brilliance of your vehicle's exterior. The rich, conditioning cream minimizes minor swirl marks, surface blemishes and scratches while providing UV protection for all vehicle finishes, including clearcoats. This unique shine-maximizing formula is also enriched with optical brighteners to maximize paint brilliance and reflection. Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax is carefully blended to provide the ultimate long-lasting, wet-look shine, while providing the durable protections your vehicle's exterior finish needs.
Well, the difference is that BM is a wax, and Zaino is a polish.

The other difference is that Zaino is a polymer so there is a bond made that protect longer.

Ask Sal. He can explain it to you.
Plus, the wax if gotten on your rubber seals, will discolor and ruin your seals.
For 1 ounce of Zaino, you need more with BM. I am often over on my Zaino levels, meaning I end up throwing out left over.
I now put in 1 ounce, and it is enough to do the entire car.

Just because it says it on the box, doesn't mean it does it well.
I had a 350Z prior, and started with BM.
I saw Zaino on a 350 forum, and looked on the Zaino website and read up.
So I took a chance, for the under "ultimate" (whatever it is called) package.

It was about 1 year after purchase of 350. The difference was night an day. Not only did it last longer, but even after a few weeks and a California dusting it looked alot cleaner than when waxed.
Water beaded better to on washing, so it was quicker to remove the water than before.

When I ordered the Vette, I bought the ultimate kit. I didn't even look at the price. I didn't care. It was the one and only thing I would put on the car.

And even more the the credit of Zaino, there was a car collector with 120 cars who stopped by to talk to me about the finish and his dislike of what wax is doing to his cars.

In the end it is always your choice. Personally, there is a reason I bought the Zaino Pack, plus the Z8 1 month before I got the car.

To each his own.

LEX

P.S., Unless SAL himself wants to correct me, Sal isn't selling Zaino in a BM bottle at Walmart. Zaino is a word of mouth business.
Zaino is Zaino. It isn't Zaino unless it says it on the bottle.

I highly doubt Sal would put his name to shame.

Last edited by lexaudio; 04-08-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:28 AM
ripen ls6
Racer

Interesting.
Post this on www.autopia.org there are plenty people there willing to give it a try and see if the results you've gotten can be duplicated. Chances of someone already tried it is pretty good also.
Though you seem to be sincere in your findings and experience, you're still going to be ran out of town here for what you've said. Not fault of your own, just how it is.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:39 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Black Magic waxes/polishes are the worst products I have ever tried. They are the only detailing product I have ever pour out on the curb.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:41 AM
lexaudio
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ripen ls6
Interesting.
Post this on www.autopia.org there are plenty people there willing to give it a try and see if the results you've gotten can be duplicated. Chances of someone already tried it is pretty good also.
Though you seem to be sincere in your findings and experience, you're still going to be ran out of town here for what you've said. Not fault of your own, just how it is.
No one is trying to run him out of town. Just my experience with SM andZaino.

Which is why I stick with Zaino.

If he believes BM is Zaino with a different label, let him believe that.

I, and other users of various product would say that BM is bottom end.

To each his own.

LEX
Old 04-08-2007, 01:57 AM
ripen ls6
Racer

No one is trying to run him out of town. Just my experience with SM andZaino.

Which is why I stick with Zaino.

If he believes BM is Zaino with a different label, let him believe that.

I, and other users of various product would say that BM is bottom end.

To each his own.

LEX
Myself, wouldn't believe that BM is Zaino, much less be on the same playing field with Zaino.
What I meant to say is, the results he's gotten can be tested by others and see if it's one of those products that nobody's tried but it can turn out to be really decent.
Sorry about the "run out of town" comment.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:39 AM
Gipper
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ripen ls6
Myself, wouldn't believe that BM is Zaino, much less be on the same playing field with Zaino.
What I meant to say is, the results he's gotten can be tested by others and see if it's one of those products that nobody's tried but it can turn out to be really decent.
Sorry about the "run out of town" comment.
I know what you mean... please pass the Kool-Aid!

I've been using Zaino for years and I'm telling you, this is a very similar product! Someone else go out and spend $5 (much less than the shipping cost of Zaino!) on Black Magic Wet Shine and then tell me there's a significant difference!

So lets see how far the Kool-Aid has been passed! >

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-p...tml#post895432

Last edited by Gipper; 04-08-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:38 AM
redjetty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its true,, i read the same Consumers Report last year about Black Magic being rated americas top brand,, you cant argue with that,, its a fact!

Get notified of new replies

To Black Magic the same as Zaino?

Old 04-08-2007, 10:16 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by redjetty
its true,, i read the same Consumers Report last year about Black Magic being rated americas top brand,, you cant argue with that,, its a fact!
I seen that report and Turtle Wax Carnuaba wax came in second and I can officially say it was horrible. Consumer Reports is good for testing appliances but not wax.

All this means is that BM is using similar dyes and fragrances. There are many products that use the same colors and fragrances. I tested many products that looked and smelled the same but the performance was completely differerent.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:31 AM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I wonder how many different formulas there can really be.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Gipper
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by JVM225
I wonder how many different formulas there can really be.
True, kinda like dog food, gasoline, etc. Everyone claims theirs is the best but most come from the same place.

Quick Reply: Black Magic the same as Zaino?