Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

bird droped on hood and it won,t come off.Please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:57 PM
olhausen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bird droped on hood and it won,t come off.Please help!!!!

I went to lunch today and when I came back I had 2 bird dropings on my hood and was mad but did not think to much of it.I got home about three hours after that and tried to clean it off and it was very hard but I thought I got it until I dried it and now there is an imprint on each of the areas of where the dropings where but I don,t think it ate the paint because the color is still there although I don,t know much about car paint I do know I waxed it and it,s just not getting it out.Also the my vette is 3 months old it,s a 07 coupe lemans blue so this just does not seem normal that after 3 hours it would eat or stick to the paint I mean my 2000 jetta has never had this happen but my 55,000 vette can handle bird crap.Anyway someone please help
Old 07-14-2007, 07:23 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

depending on what the birds are eating it can discolor(etch) the paint and cannot be removed. Usually this happens in the summer when birds are eating a lot of acidic fruit. Sorry but you could be stuck with this.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:36 PM
kygakman
Sideways Saturday
Support Corvetteforum!

It will come out. It will take some time on your part. Do not despair. Use Mequire's #1 Paint cleaner or the Zaino AO-10. Rup on the spot with a small amount of the material on a cotton towel. Take your time with medium pressure. The very fine abrasives in these clear coat safe wax preps will slowly remove the etch marks from the acidic bird poo.
Been there too!
Old 07-14-2007, 07:53 PM
olhausen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by knkali
depending on what the birds are eating it can discolor(etch) the paint and cannot be removed. Usually this happens in the summer when birds are eating a lot of acidic fruit. Sorry but you could be stuck with this.
I am 28 years old and I have had bird poop on many cheaper cars that I owned and have never had this happen before even when the cars had not been washed a month after the bird poop was on them.So you are telling me a brand new 55,000 vette paint job can,t take a bird droping on it for 3 hours.These are not little marks on the hood and I feel if they do,t come out the dealer should have to pay for this because I have had a # of paint problems with this car that was coverd under waranty.I mean if this happens everytime I go out the paint job well be demolished in a year.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:04 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, a lot of the answer lies in the clearcoat that is on these Vettes. Believe me I feel your pain.

I've had water spots basically etch the clearcoat and the only way to completely get rid of it once that happens is to use a buffer like the PC7242 with a mild abrasive. I've tried the 50/50 vinegar & water method which doesn't work. 3M rubbing compound via hand didn't work either. You might not notice it on a lighter colored car but mine is black which makes it more difficult.

The clearcoats on these cars are extremely hard which takes more power to buff out imperfections like this. Bird sh*t is one of the most harmful things that can land on your $55k paint job.

Once the spots are gone I recommend a good coat of Rejex or Zaino, whichever you prefer. You might also want to ask around in the car care section.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Kerls07
Pro

Call craig at hp 847 949 8388
he deals adams products and I watched him take overspray off a corvette with what I think it was a clay bar and it was smooth as a babies *** after. (I think it is about 20.00)
kerley
Old 07-14-2007, 08:48 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

If it's etched into the clearcoat and paint you can forget it.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Even the Zaino web site says that bird droppings and bugs can 'etch' into the paint. Try clay bar....try mild abrasives and if need be, take it to a professional detailer.

Good luck on a warranty claim.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:20 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by olhausen
Also the my vette is 3 months old it,s a 07 coupe lemans blue so this just does not seem normal that after 3 hours it would eat or stick to the paint I mean my 2000 jetta has never had this happen but my 55,000 vette can handle bird crap.Anyway someone please help

I just re-read your post and didn't notice this my first read. First of all it can take far less than 3 hours to severely damage paint. It also doesn't matter if you have a 15K or a 200K car...paint is paint.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,950 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I agree with all the posters above and hear your pain. It doesn't have a thing to do with a 20K car or your 50K Vette. It all has to do with the bird and the car, right?

That said, follow the advice above and work from the least harmful products to stronger. But whatever you do, don't go overboard. You CAN make things worse.

The advice about going to a detailer is good; ask a pro first, especially since what you've done so far, hasn't worked. The next is to either call a Zaino rep, or call Meguiar's on their toll free.

My suggestion is, for the time being until you get this fixed, keep it out of the elements, even cloudy days (remember that thing about you can still get a sunburn on a cloudy day?). If it isn't set into the clearcoat/paint, it can still be "saved". Maybe.

Good luck.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:15 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

I agree try a claybar. If that doesn't take it out try some Zaino Z-PC. It is a mild abrasive. That should take it out.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:17 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

I have been ther done that. IF you can get it out PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE with a cherry on top tell us how you did it. Bird droppings can be like pouring acid on your car.

My wifes Lexus has the Amour Plating on it($$$) and it is warranted for all kinds of things but the fine print excludes bird droppings.

I had a brand new Camry and got nailed by a damn flying cat the splatter was so damn big. Right in the middle of the hood. Tried everything to get it out and till the day I sold it, I could still see the outline of that splatter dump 10 years later.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know of someone on this forum who's C6 was sprayed with black spray paint in Germany,
Lucky he used REJEX it came off.
Hopefully you will over come this challenge.
I would advise a couple of coats of Rejex to prevent this happening again. I use it.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:51 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

3m Finesse-it 2 Part #051131-05928 Orbital Buffer And Foam Pad Followed Up With 3m Imperial Hand Glaze 051131-05990
Z51vett
Old 07-14-2007, 10:59 PM
HOFFIE
Safety Car

It could have been worse
Old 07-14-2007, 11:47 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

no Hoffie thats not worse. I can take a shower and it wont leave a mark (that you can see)
Old 07-15-2007, 12:52 AM
exukboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found my black C6 vette paint it extremely easy to mark. In fact it's worse than my C5 and that was BAD! I've just returned from a 2200 mile road trip to Cali all within the space of 4 days so my vert was covered in layers of dust and road grime. I carefully washed it today and in addition to dozens of small and large rock chips on the hood (just as well I fitted the Colgan bra on) doors and side panels. there are hundreds of tiny etched circles in the clearcoat, mainly on the hood and tops of the front fenders that will need to be machine polished out providing the crappy clearcoat will stand it. This damage to the paint may be a result of some of the exhaust contaminants from the hundreds of big rigs and other vehicles on the road? Either way the paint is anything but durable and it makes one wonder about what we breath in too. Anyway, good luck getting it put right!

Get notified of new replies

To bird droped on hood and it won,t come off.Please help!!!!

Old 07-15-2007, 01:12 AM
User 020720
Race Director

Originally Posted by Guitarstar
I know of someone on this forum who's C6 was sprayed with black spray paint in Germany,
Lucky he used REJEX it came off.
Hopefully you will over come this challenge.
I would advise a couple of coats of Rejex to prevent this happening again. I use it.
I had Rejex on my hood but that didn't keep it from getting water spots.

I guess it would have been worse if the Rejex wasn't there.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:20 AM
loubob57
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Another lesson in why you need to keep a couple of MF towels and some speed detail spray in one of your rear cubbys. Then you can take care of the bird crap as soon as you notice it.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:25 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Liquid Glass Polish works wonders.

Quick Reply: bird droped on hood and it won,t come off.Please help!!!!