Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How often can you wax your car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 05:29 AM
Deja Vu 2 U
Racer

Location: Somerset Kentucky... Life's Abundant For Those Who Believe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

infinity
Old 12-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Deja Vu 2 U
infinity
Old 12-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Fastcar
Racer

Originally Posted by RnLi
Does anyone know for absolute certainty that Dawn removes auto wax from the car?

I'm asking because I see no proof of this statement in another application. I polish, then use Mothers Auto Wax on my stainless steel kitchen sinks. Dawn Dishsoap is the soap of choice in the kitchen and the WAX lasts several months before I redo the routine again.

It does not appear the wax is removed from the sinks during that time.

And I certainly can't believe that Dawn would remove one of the polymer products, i.e. Zaino, Rejex, etc.
I agree with you. I think that perhaps it was advanced by one wax manufacturers. I do know that repeated trips through car washes can remove some wax's.

I use prep sol, then whatever dish soap is around to clean things up.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:08 AM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
As often as you have the time or inclination to do it.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:15 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

you got some good answers here .. but need to understand the product you are using. Some waxes and sealants are considered pure with no cleaners or polishes and can be used quite often as wanted. Polishing, claying, and chemical strippers likely will be used less to prolong your finish but can be used properly many times without issue. Follow the manufacturers directions and when in doubt ask for advice from those offering the product line.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:44 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,945 Likes on 4,820 Posts

Originally Posted by bcoggin
Curious what to use to strip old wax off of car and how often can I wax my car? Does it hurt to put on multiple coats of wax?
You can wax it as often as you want, it does not hurt to put on multiple coats. I would wax it every month or so and use detail spray daily if you want that fresh look. There is no need to strip the old wax off unless you are going to apply a sealant like Zaino or Rejex, then you should wash your car with Dawn detergent to get all the old suff off.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Metal Skull
Burning Brakes

Here's my process:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1567874244-post40.html

...pics of the outcome:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...up-beware.html

...some more pics after I had the rear lowered:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...hoot-pics.html

...and it should be noted that these pics were taken months after I did the full process. I wash my C6 weekly at the very least so I am overdue at doing it again. Next time I am going to double the coats of polish/wax I put on!
Old 12-07-2008, 12:29 PM
PO10TIAL
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not as often now that I got rid of my Black vette, I actually enjoy detailing it, kinda like therapy, usually every 4-6 weeks or so.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Dale_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I polish & wax my car every 6 months.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:42 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drranu
We'll see how my new Vette holds up, I'll never wax or polish it and never use any soaps. My '00 Camaro was never waxed or polished and always hand washed with only water. 6 years old, it still had showroom sheen. The guy I sold it to said he would make it a show car. So, with my Vette I don't see why I should use my time polishing. I'd rather use it driving!
Hmm...I'd be pretty interested in seeing some pictures of the finish in direct sunlight (or under halogens).
Old 12-07-2008, 06:51 PM
c6chaz
Burning Brakes

some wax or polish can be layered over the other coatsas many times you want? like surf city and jorgens wax and polish?
Old 12-08-2008, 04:16 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Layering
There is a lot of discussion about whether or not it is possible to layer Carnauba on a paint surface, it works on leather boots and in my experience it also works, up to a point, on a cars paint service. “When you apply fixed and variable inputs beyond a point or limit, the out come will be less and less utility with each additional unit”; which basically signifies that beyond a certain number of layers you are no longer providing more shine nor increasing durability.

Usually a wax with a high solvent content will remove the previous layer; but if you apply another low-solvent product on top of one that has already set-up (i.e. the solvents have evaporated) you can increase its density (up to a point) two to three applications are usually considered optimum

For more information see “Carnauba Wax”, one of many detailing articles on DetailingWiki; (Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation) a series of informative, knowledge based, unbiased articles dedicated to automotive detailing

This collection of detailing articles on DetailingWiki; (Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation) a series of informative, knowledge based, unbiased articles dedicated to the automotive detailing enthusiast or professional detailer in search of development and education

Last edited by TOGWT; 12-08-2008 at 04:45 AM.

Quick Reply: How often can you wax your car?