Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How do you deal with dust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 07:48 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Longhorn
What I do in between full washes is what I call a bucket wash. This is with plain water and a soft microfiber mitt. It sounds like the Ultima could be added to the water and used this way. This is only primarily removing dust not heavy grit from driving the car in the rain,etc.

Does Ultima work well for this type of application or would the ONR be better for this specific use?
Rick
Both products will indeed work, and offer much better lubrication over just water. I gotta bet after first use you'll be a believer.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:30 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Great. I'm going to team them up with a Meguiar's microfiber mitt. One for the body and a separate one for rockers, etc.

Rick
Old 05-22-2011, 09:02 AM
TOPCATHR
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I use maguires nxt instant detail spray it doesnt scratch and its the best i found. Its in a purple spray bottle
Old 05-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Again I implore you to consider a rinseless wash. Its quick and easy and only takes a bucket (or two) and much safer than any duster or towel alone. You use a couple thick soft mitts or MF towels. I can do the Vette in less than 15 minutes. Best part they actually add some gloss and good looks too.

http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-water...ncentrate.html
Can this product be used in the direct sun?

Last edited by Sunset-C6; 05-22-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:06 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are there any long lasting waxes/sealants that help repel dirt and keep it from sticking?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:45 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunset-C6
Can this product be used in the direct sun?

I would not use it on a heated finish as you might see some streaking, I would suggest outside of direct heat for best results.

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
Are there any long lasting waxes/sealants that help repel dirt and keep it from sticking?
Rejex and Finishkare425 Detail Spray will do you well
Old 05-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

Snow is absolutely correct! Best part is Pledge also protects the rubber moldings and makes them look like new!

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
Spray a light mist of lemon Pledge on each panel. Lightly wipe with a microfiber towel of your choosing.
But don't do this until you are ready to go for a ride otherwise the dust will just reaccumulate.
Pledge makes your black look wet. Will not hurt the paint. I been using it for decades and it is a not so secret of people who show their cars at car shows.

Don't laugh, Pledge is the best detailing spray I've ever used in my life. I challenge you to give it a try. You will be very impressed. We use it on our cyber gray C6, the wifes Acura, and both of our black motorcycles.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:30 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The US can consider itself fortunate in not having to deal with volcanic dust, blown across from an Iceland (and you thought pollen looked ugly)
Old 05-26-2011, 12:25 AM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought a Cali. Duster today after suggestion by a friend. I'm a little embarassed now since I see more cons than pros on here for its use on Vettes. I've seen several Vette owners at shows whip out a Cali. Duster so much I thought they were great items.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:30 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdot
Just bought a Cali. Duster today after suggestion by a friend. I'm a little embarassed now since I see more cons than pros on here for its use on Vettes. I've seen several Vette owners at shows whip out a Cali. Duster so much I thought they were great items.
To remove light, dry surface dust without causing scratches apply very little surface pressure, use a California Ultimate Premium Car Duster (that uses 100% cotton fibres impregnated with paraffin wax to collect dust) this product is like Marmite, you either love or hate it, I’ve been using mine for ten years or so without problems; having said that it’s all in the method you use.

Using long strokes, maintain very light surface pressure and use in one direction only.Shake the duster occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while you’re using it.

I'll get lots of practice this week removing volcanic dust

Last edited by TOGWT; 05-26-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Stan MI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
To remove light, dry surface dust without causing scratches apply very little surface pressure, use a California Ultimate Premium Car Duster (that uses 100% cotton fibres impregnated with paraffin wax to collect dust) this product is like Marmite, you either love or hate it, I’ve been using mine for ten years or so without problems; having said that it’s all in the method you use.

Using long strokes, maintain very light surface pressure and use in one direction only.Shake the duster occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while you’re using it.

I'll get lots of practice this week removing volcanic dust

I think TOGWT is right on here, where the CA duster gets its bad rap is in the usage. Light surface (read as LIGHT) pressure and let the fibers do their magic of attraction rather than pushing particles around with their weight.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:25 AM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long it's not that super soft clear on the surface then I see no problem using one lightly on the surface. If it does put swirls on the paint then don't use it.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jdot
See for yourself.I have been using one for years and the more you use them the better they seem to work.
The folks that have problems using them must not know HOW to use them.
I have used them on all types of paint over the last 20 years.From factory GM,Porsche and BMW paint to repainted restored 60's cars and have never had a paint problem with a properly used California Duster.
If it is new though,make sure you wrap it tight with newspaper to absorb the wax that is pretty heavy when new.
Use VERY light passes over the paint and all will be fine.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:39 AM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615
See for yourself.I have been using one for years and the more you use them the better they seem to work.
The folks that have problems using them must not know HOW to use them.
I have used them on all types of paint over the last 20 years.From factory GM,Porsche and BMW paint to repainted restored 60's cars and have never had a paint problem with a properly used California Duster.
If it is new though,make sure you wrap it tight with newspaper to absorb the wax that is pretty heavy when new.
Use VERY light passes over the paint and all will be fine.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:55 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

I think the issue you run into with these is that everyone's definition of "light dry" dust is different.

I occasionally use one, but more often just do a quick bucket wash with plain water.

Rick
Old 05-26-2011, 10:15 PM
jdot
Drifting

Thanks, I don't feel so ignorant now. I've let mine air out for 48 hours as instructed but only lying on TOP of newspaper rather than being wrapped inside. Is it OK to use now or should I wrap it in newspaper to make sure the excess paraffin bled out?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:24 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

There is no real harm if the parafin wax gets on the car. It's just you would use a quick detailer to clean it up. If you need to use it now, use it now. If not, wrap it in newspaper, and let it sit some more. I promise, you will saturate new newspaper. There is a lot of wax on them.

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To How do you deal with dust?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:27 PM
jdot
Drifting

Thanks C5, I'll wrap it up and wait awhile since I'm in no hurry.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

The problem with the California duster is the static electricity it creates which attracts more dust.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:51 AM
jdot
Drifting

Was going to use it before show tonight but things feel through and I didn't go. Have to wait till tomorrow for first chance to use it. Washed instead.

Quick Reply: How do you deal with dust?