Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How do you deal with dust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Toms03Z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you deal with dust?

I have a black Z06 that I'm constantly fighting a battle with dust. Just sitting in the garage it gathers dust. Take it out for a drive once a week and the dust it accumulates just about makes me sick.

Now I don't mind cleaning it but the problem is every time I try and keep up with the dust I create new scratches.

My method is was usually using a california car duster followed by a cotton towel and Z6, sometimes just cotton towel and Z6. It doesn't matter how hard I try, it creates new scratches every time. I know it's not my towels. I bought some premium cotton towels with the edges cut and re-sewn. I've heard the california duster will not scratch but I don't know for sure. The scratches I'm getting are very small and hardly noticeable but I notice them.

Sometimes I wish I would have bought a different color but black looks so good when its clean.

Anyone have any tips on dust maintenance for black paint?
Old 05-12-2011, 02:41 PM
hb4lthr
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dust is definitely a problem in my garage as well. I would be weary of using the California Duster...although there is a proper way to use them assuming the car is not very dirty. The trick is to very lightly let the duster skim the surface without any pressure on the car otherwise you will scratch it.

I would also be leary of using a simple detail spray with cotton towels because that too can cause scratches. In my opinion your 2 options are:

1) Traditional wash using the 2 busket system and hose
2) ONR with 2 bucket system

Personally if my choices were dust or swirls I can live with the dust until I'm able to wash it properly
Old 05-12-2011, 03:16 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Toms03Z
I have a black Z06 that I'm constantly fighting a battle with dust. Just sitting in the garage it gathers dust. Take it out for a drive once a week and the dust it accumulates just about makes me sick.

Now I don't mind cleaning it but the problem is every time I try and keep up with the dust I create new scratches.

My method is was usually using a california car duster followed by a cotton towel and Z6, sometimes just cotton towel and Z6. It doesn't matter how hard I try, it creates new scratches every time. I know it's not my towels. I bought some premium cotton towels with the edges cut and re-sewn. I've heard the california duster will not scratch but I don't know for sure. The scratches I'm getting are very small and hardly noticeable but I notice them.

Sometimes I wish I would have bought a different color but black looks so good when its clean.

Others will chime in, First throw away the duster. In my opinion it is just moving the dust and dirt over the paintand could be scratching the car. Second and more importantly, how are you washing the car? You should be using a two bucket method and ensuring everytime you wash the car there is lots of soapy water and clean microfiber towels. Once you touch the car with your microfiber or wash mit , it goes into your second bucket for a complete rinse to remove what you have just taken off the car. Use a leaf blower or master blaster to dry and gently towel off with micorfiber. Dust that accumalates during the week i leave alone, until i wash the car.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:36 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
Others will chime in, First throw away the duster. In my opinion it is just moving the dust and dirt over the paintand could be scratching the car. Second and more importantly, how are you washing the car? You should be using a two bucket method and ensuring everytime you wash the car there is lots of soapy water and clean microfiber towels. Once you touch the car with your microfiber or wash mit , it goes into your second bucket for a complete rinse to remove what you have just taken off the car. Use a leaf blower or master blaster to dry and gently towel off with micorfiber. Dust that accumalates during the week i leave alone, until i wash the car.
I concur, you just have accept the fact that a light layer of dust is always going to be on your paint. I have made it routine to give the car a good blast with my leaf blower every time I put it away. It definitely improves the amount left on there until the next wash.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

I blow it off with my master Blaster then I use the cali-duster very lightly then I spray detailer onto a MF towel( 2 spritzs) and wipe it down from there. The less you touch it the better off you are. Do everything with a light touch. Black is "UNFORGIVING"

Clif
Old 05-12-2011, 07:43 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I use a rinseless wash like Ultima or Optimum to clean up areas with dust safely. I also suggest using a Detail Spray like FK425 after traditional washings as it offers an anti-static ingredient.

www.autogeek.net
Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Stan MI
Pro

I feel your pain !!!

Nothing better looking than a Black vehicle, nothing harder to maintain than a Black vehicle.

I also use the "California Duster". Very light touch, just let the tips touch the surface. I think it's name should be changed to the "California Dust Attractor". Maybe then more folks would use it with the ultra light touch required. I do not get the scratches from using it I read so much about here.

After a normal wash (which is usually on a weekend) I'll drive it that day. Mid week go over it with the Duster. If needed detail spay and MF towel. Anything past that needs a fresh wash (IMHO).
Old 05-13-2011, 05:32 AM
Toms03Z
Instructor

I really try to avoid washing the Vettes or getting them wet if possible. The cars have never seen rain and I'm just fanatical about keeping water/ moisture away from them as much as possible. Reason being is I like having everything rust free as much as possible. I'm talking about stuff underneath the car like nuts, bolts, fasteners or anything metal that can turn to rust. I even keep a dehumidifier in the garage. I probably sound a little crazy, ok maybe a lot but it's just how I like to keep them.

The blue 03 isn't as bad to keep clean but the black 07 has been frustrating. Even if washing was an option I just can't see doing it every week. Both get washed maybe only once or twice a year at the most. I never get them dirty enough to justify a complete washing.

Just wanted to get everyones opinion on what you thought would be best. I appreciate all the comments/suggestions.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:08 AM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I really try to avoid washing the Vettes or getting them wet if possible. The cars have never seen rain and I'm just fanatical about keeping water/ moisture away from them as much as possible. Reason being is I like having everything rust free as much as possible. I'm talking about stuff underneath the car like nuts, bolts, fasteners or anything metal that can turn to rust. I even keep a dehumidifier in the garage. I probably sound a little crazy, ok maybe a lot but it's just how I like to keep them.

The blue 03 isn't as bad to keep clean but the black 07 has been frustrating. Even if washing was an option I just can't see doing it every week. Both get washed maybe only once or twice a year at the most. I never get them dirty enough to justify a complete washing.
Just wanted to get everyones opinion on what you thought would be best. I appreciate all the comments/suggestions.

If your washing a black car once or twice a year, then respectfully i agree , you bought the wrong color car.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:22 AM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stan MI
I feel your pain !!!

Nothing better looking than a Black vehicle, nothing harder to maintain than a Black vehicle.

I also use the "California Duster". Very light touch, just let the tips touch the surface. I think it's name should be changed to the "California Dust Attractor". Maybe then more folks would use it with the ultra light touch required. I do not get the scratches from using it I read so much about here.

After a normal wash (which is usually on a weekend) I'll drive it that day. Mid week go over it with the Duster. If needed detail spay and MF towel. Anything past that needs a fresh wash (IMHO).
Old 05-13-2011, 11:49 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Proper washing is the only right way to remove dust from paint, IMO. You will continue to marr the paint using dusters and cotton towels.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:36 PM
jeterarodyks
Instructor

yea the duster has that fine wax on it and will SCRATCH in my opinion wayyyy too easily then you got more than dust to fight. Also work with a antistatic detailer like mentioned....mine stays pretty dust free from it...black vette here.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:17 AM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The Cali Duster is a no go. IMHO the CD is more abrassive than the actual dust on the car.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:01 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Again I implore you to consider a rinseless wash. Its quick and easy and only takes a bucket (or two) and much safer than any duster or towel alone. You use a couple thick soft mitts or MF towels. I can do the Vette in less than 15 minutes. Best part they actually add some gloss and good looks too.

http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-water...ncentrate.html
Old 05-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Toms03Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Again I implore you to consider a rinseless wash. Its quick and easy and only takes a bucket (or two) and much safer than any duster or towel alone. You use a couple thick soft mitts or MF towels. I can do the Vette in less than 15 minutes. Best part they actually add some gloss and good looks too.

I think I'll ditch the california duster and give that a try. Thanks.

The car sees less than 1000 miles a year and is mostly a garage queen hence the lack of actually washing.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Spray a light mist of lemon Pledge on each panel. Lightly wipe with a microfiber towel of your choosing.
But don't do this until you are ready to go for a ride otherwise the dust will just reaccumulate.
Pledge makes your black look wet. Will not hurt the paint. I been using it for decades and it is a not so secret of people who show their cars at car shows.

Don't laugh, Pledge is the best detailing spray I've ever used in my life. I challenge you to give it a try. You will be very impressed. We use it on our cyber gray C6, the wifes Acura, and both of our black motorcycles.

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 05-14-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:59 PM
C6 Don
Instructor

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek

I am very tempted to try stuff this but rubbing a rinseless wash around on my black paint is seems a bit crazy! Is this really safe for my black paint? I'm going to order a few other things from you guys this weekend, so let me know about this.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you deal with dust?

Old 05-15-2011, 06:21 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Light Surface Dust

To remove light, dry surface dust without causing scratches apply very little surface pressure, use a California Ultimate Premium Car ( that uses 100% cotton fibres and paraffin wax to attract dust) or the Zymol® Natural Wool Duster (uses static to attach the dust to the fibres to assure that dust is lifted and removed, not just pushed around) or long nap micro fibre towel and Optimum (OPT) No Rinse Wash™ (which uses a surfactant to encapsulate the dust and polymers to ensure surface lubrication) to ensure the dust lifted from the paint surface will remain in the nap or fibres and not on the towel surface thereby avoiding surface marring.

Using long strokes, maintain very light surface pressure and use in one direction only. Shake the duster or towel occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while you’re using it.

Do not use these methodologies on a hot paint surface (soon after driving) as this will cause streaking?

It important to use this methodology only for the removal of dry surface dust, don’t use if surface has condensation or dew, or if the vehicle has oily road film, road tar, damp pollen or dust, etc in these instances the vehicle surface should be subjected to a conventional or Optimum (OPT) No Rinse Wash™ & Shine New Formula (ONR) car washing process
Old 05-15-2011, 08:34 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by C6 Don
I am very tempted to try stuff this but rubbing a rinseless wash around on my black paint is seems a bit crazy! Is this really safe for my black paint? I'm going to order a few other things from you guys this weekend, so let me know about this.
These products offer more lubrication than a traditional detail spray. They also offer emulisifiers and other ingredients to help with dirt and dust. Common sense dicates using a Grit Gard in bucket to keep sediment on bottom and using a very soft towel. I have seen some transfer it to a spray bottle and spritz first, but you will be amazed at how these products work. Optimum ONR is another popular one, and our DP Rinseless Gloss product is another. I rather like the Ultima version.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:47 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

What I do in between full washes is what I call a bucket wash. This is with plain water and a soft microfiber mitt. It sounds like the Ultima could be added to the water and used this way. This is only primarily removing dust not heavy grit from driving the car in the rain,etc.

Does Ultima work well for this type of application or would the ONR be better for this specific use?
Rick

Quick Reply: How do you deal with dust?