Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Detailers: Any new products that CAN remove 3000 grit sanding using DA?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:56 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Detailers: Any new products that CAN remove 3000 grit sanding using DA?

I have been a 3M guy for many years now when it comes to my abrasives and I usually polish out wet sanding marks using a rotary. It has been several years since I did my last wet sand and polish to remove orange peel and I am looking at possibly doing another car soon. I remember trying the water based 3M cutting compound on my DA and eventually removing the 3000 grit, but it took a long while and I gave up and went to the rotary for the rest of the car.

I really like Menzerna products at this time and wonder what the power gloss or IP can do with a DA on 3000 grit. I use the 85RD and 106F a lot now, as that is typically all my cars ever need to get the minor issues out.

There are a lot of new products down in here now. I see foam "finger" style pads for DAs that are said to be for polishing like a wool pad. I also see several products claiming some very good cutting ability. What products have you guys used that DID remove 3000 grit sanding marks and bring out a good polish ready for the next stage? I have a PC DA, but I am not against getting a 3401 machine either, if the extra power is really needed at this first step.

The car in question is a 2007 Vette and the plan isn't firm yet, but is sounding like a very light orange peel "reduction" effort and not a 100% eliminate effort. I'll knock the 'high' spots down a bit and minimize the orange peel.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:34 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3M™ Trizact P5000 Foam Discs – (ultra fine 5000 grit) they allow you to level more serious defects , which may save the ultra thin coating found on PPG's DuPont's SupraShield™, Optech™ and CeramiClear™ as they use an ultra thin layer of ceramic clear coat over the regular clear coat. These ultra fine papers allow you to level serious defects without removing too much of this ultra thin final coating. The 3M Trizact P5000 (grit) Foam Discs are available in three sizes: 3, 5 and 6- inch.

Foam Interface Pad

Use of a foam interface pad between the sanding disc and the backing plate is recommended. A foam interface pad is made to improve your results during sanding, refinishing and spot repair projects. The foam pad improves the sanding disc's ability to follow the curves and contours of a vehicle.

The foam interface pad makes machine sanding smoother for the technician and enables the sanding disc to conform better to curved body panels. Using an interface pad also reduces the aggressiveness of the sanding action and reduces the chance of creating coarser scratches.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:47 PM
musicmankeb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meguiars #205
Old 09-13-2012, 05:38 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by musicmankeb
Meguiars #205
205 doesn't have enough cut, not for sand scratches and not on Vette clear. You'll need 105 for that.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:24 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

HD UNO will also do it and do it easy.

http://www.3dproducts.com/HD-Uno.html?a_aid=8013
Old 09-16-2012, 11:15 AM
ripptide56
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Meguiars 105 and 205 works great. I had been using on a DA and recently switched to a rotary. The rotary is so much faster with less work,but there is a learning curve.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:43 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

I take it you're using Trizact 3000 grit? If so, these scratches are very shallow and will not require a heavy compound like Powergloss to remove, not mention the marring this product tends to leave behind which will require 2 additional steps to make right. Unfortunatley, Menzerna's other polishing compounds are not strong enough so you're caught in the middle of a catch 22.

I would suggest using a more user friendly system like HD UNO paired up with a MicroFiber cutting pad. This will easily "cut through" these sanding marks with no trouble and you will only need a light finishing polish after.

Keep in mind, that all of 3D/HD's polishing compounds can be used in direct sun without any ill effects. Plus, zero dust which makes clean up a breeze.

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2012, 05:49 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
205 doesn't have enough cut, not for sand scratches and not on Vette clear. You'll need 105 for that.
105 then 205

Get notified of new replies

To Detailers: Any new products that CAN remove 3000 grit sanding using DA?

Quick Reply: Detailers: Any new products that CAN remove 3000 grit sanding using DA?